#1  
Old 12-31-2019, 10:06 AM
SuntanLotion is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: mentor ohio
Posts: 235

missing children


Theres been this local teen missing for 11 days in northern Ohio. Its all over the news. I'm asking, how often do teens go missing, what are the chances of them being found alive?
https://www.wbaltv.com/article/natio...teen/30362108#
__________________
He fell into the upholstery machine but hes fully recovered now.
  #2  
Old 12-31-2019, 10:16 AM
markn+ is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: unknown; Speed: exactly 0
Posts: 3,083
Several hundred thousand children go missing every year in the United States. Most of them are runaways rather than victims of violence however.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/...the-us-by-age/
  #3  
Old 12-31-2019, 10:33 AM
Joey P is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 29,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by markn+ View Post
Several hundred thousand children go missing every year in the United States. Most of them are runaways rather than victims of violence however.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/...the-us-by-age/
On a show I watch that airs twice a week, during each airing they'll highlight a missing child case and ask the public for help. Often times there's a strong assumption that the child is with the other parent. A parent that isn't supposed to have contact (or at least unsupervised contact) with the child, but picked them up and took off. Often times this other parent has had enough problems in life that they're fairly off the grid and difficult to locate, especially once they're out of the state.

Right there is about 100 per year and those are just the high profile cases. I'd imagine a lot of those are not nearly as big of a deal (not to downplay what the parent is going through). Things like mom not realizing that grandma picked the kid up from school or a toddler that wandered off into the woods and was returned unscathed a few hours later.
  #4  
Old 12-31-2019, 10:36 AM
SuntanLotion is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: mentor ohio
Posts: 235
In this case, both parents are at home. How do they survive on their own/ I've read theres a huge pedophile network out there. This case bothers me because the boy looks like my son did.
__________________
He fell into the upholstery machine but hes fully recovered now.
  #5  
Old 12-31-2019, 11:05 AM
Joey P is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 29,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuntanLotion View Post
In this case, both parents are at home. How do they survive on their own/ I've read theres a huge pedophile network out there. This case bothers me because the boy looks like my son did.
He's 14 and has a history of running away. More than likely he's hiding out at a friend or relative's house, and was probably there before it became such a big news story.

This is very different than, say, a 7 year old riding his bike around the block and weeks later they still haven't found him.

Not to say that a 14 year old can't be kidnapped, but this isn't the first time he's disappeared, just the longest he's been gone.
  #6  
Old 12-31-2019, 11:25 AM
Riemann's Avatar
Riemann is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Santa Fe, NM, USA
Posts: 7,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuntanLotion View Post
In this case, both parents are at home. How do they survive on their own/ I've read theres a huge pedophile network out there. This case bothers me because the boy looks like my son did.
Not that 14-year-olds aren't also potential victims of sexual abuse of course, but pedophilia means an attraction to prepubescent children.
  #7  
Old 12-31-2019, 11:38 AM
Little Nemo is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Western New York
Posts: 83,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuntanLotion View Post
I've read theres a huge pedophile network out there.
If there was a network of pedophiles, the police would be aware of it and would have arrested its members.
  #8  
Old 12-31-2019, 11:54 AM
Joey P is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 29,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
If there was a network of pedophiles, the police would be aware of it and would have arrested its members.
I'm not sure if that's a joke or not, but there is and they do get arrested...
https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/24/asia/...ntl/index.html

https://www.newsinenglish.no/2019/07...edophile-ring/

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-48379983

These articles may cover the same things, I didn't read the very closely, I just grabbed the first few links that had dates in the article.
  #9  
Old 12-31-2019, 12:17 PM
HeyHomie's Avatar
HeyHomie is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Viburnum, MO
Posts: 10,083
How many children (to include teens under 18) are abducted by strangers and then killed or kept as sex slaves (or sold into sexual slavery)? There are high-profile cases that dominate the headlines, like those of Jaycee Dugard or Elizabeth Smart, of course. But I imagine the number of such cases is on the order of 3-4 per year.

The overwhelming number of child abductions are committed by family members, as has already been mentioned. Then there are the teens who just run off on their own, sometimes with someone they've met on the internet.
  #10  
Old 12-31-2019, 12:34 PM
Hermitian's Avatar
Hermitian is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey P View Post
He's 14 and has a history of running away.
Yea, the likelihood that a stranger kidnapped a 14 year old is low. Not impossible, but low. Much easier targets than that.
  #11  
Old 12-31-2019, 01:11 PM
SuntanLotion is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: mentor ohio
Posts: 235
Not in the Cleveland area, remember Amanda Berry.
he seemed to go online a lot, if he Has ran away, I guess it would be easy to fuind him if he logged on.
__________________
He fell into the upholstery machine but hes fully recovered now.
  #12  
Old 12-31-2019, 03:17 PM
septimus's Avatar
septimus is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Land of Smiles
Posts: 20,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyHomie View Post
How many children (to include teens under 18) are abducted by strangers and then killed or kept as sex slaves (or sold into sexual slavery)? ... I imagine the number of such cases is on the order of 3-4 per year.
I think and hope the subject of OP will turn up safe, but this estimate is wildly low. WAY way too low. Contortions are required to get the low estimates one sometimes sees. ("16 years or older? Not underage." "Stays with her pimp because he supplies her with the heroin he hooked her on? Voluntary servitude, not slavery." Etc.) Many or most victims are non-white: Racism may thus help minimize the problem.

Quote:
[From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_tr...United_States] In 2003, 1,400 minors were arrested for prostitution, 14% of whom were younger than 14 years old.
[This is ACTUAL arrests, not some inflated guess. The real numbers are much higher.]
...
[From https://www.today.com/news/teen-reco...ery-1C9013941] [After being drugged, Shauna Newell managed to call her mother. But the police said she hadn't been gone long enough to treat it as abduction.] Newell said that her captor told her she had been sold on the Internet for $300,000 to a man in Texas. Fortunately, she was rescued before delivery could be made. During Newell's ordeal in Florida, her captor took money from a number of men who raped her. When she screamed, he held a gun to her head and threatened to blow her brains out.
...
[From https://www.foxnews.com/us/houston-t...oing-epidemic] Over 200,000 victims are trafficked in the state of Texas at any given time, nearly 80,000 of them minors, according to a report by the state attorney general’s office.

Last edited by septimus; 12-31-2019 at 03:20 PM.
  #13  
Old 01-01-2020, 08:11 AM
albino_manatee's Avatar
albino_manatee is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: enceladus-prime, nibiru
Posts: 261
i disagree with the assumption that exploited teenagers is low … 14-16 year olds are just as likely to be victimized as, say, 7-10 year olds. however … the older the child is … the likelihood that he/she simply made a bad decision decreases.

a few decades back (1989) … i recall a certain movie … a very sad movie. charles-bronson played the lead part … title of the movie is "kinjite"… about a pimp who preyed on teenagers … the scenario not being what most would cogitate about.
__________________
 
at one point in time, i was offered a wooden scīpiō (handstaff) … after a time, i slowly 'n methodically whittled that cane down … until it became one ginormous toothpick.

Last edited by albino_manatee; 01-01-2020 at 08:14 AM.
  #14  
Old 01-02-2020, 03:36 AM
Carryon is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 754
These type of cases always remind me of Jayme Closs who was violently kidnapped (both her parents were shot and killed) and she was taken by a stranger. Yet he kept her alive and she escaped about 4 months later. Very bizzare case, but read about it, it does give you hope, not every case ends with the child's death, though the odds are low.
  #15  
Old 01-02-2020, 09:09 AM
Hermitian's Avatar
Hermitian is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,704
I once knew a girl that was kidnapped by her father. Apparently he kept her until adulthood. She was very well adjusted and loved her father and didn't seem to harbor any hard feelings about it.

I assume he was frustrated by the child custody system that tended (especially at that time) to give kids to the mother despite the mother's ability to raise them.
  #16  
Old 01-02-2020, 10:36 AM
Shodan is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 40,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
[From https://www.today.com/news/teen-reco...ery-1C9013941] [After being drugged, Shauna Newell managed to call her mother. But the police said she hadn't been gone long enough to treat it as abduction.] Newell said that her captor told her she had been sold on the Internet for $300,000 to a man in Texas. Fortunately, she was rescued before delivery could be made. During Newell's ordeal in Florida, her captor took money from a number of men who raped her. When she screamed, he held a gun to her head and threatened to blow her brains out.
Do you have any more information about this case? I did some Googling, and I don't understand the apparent lack of follow up.

Newell's mother, Lisa Brant, says that the police wouldn't follow up because Newell was not missing for 72 hours. Her mother also says -
Quote:
With law enforcement unwilling to act, Brant and Newell’s siblings started their own search. They were fortunate in that Brad Dennis, an investigator for KlaasKids, was based in the area because the Florida Panhandle is an epicenter of human trafficking.

By sheer luck, one search party stopped at a convenience store for something to drink, and Newell’s 14-year-old brother spotted his sister in the back seat of another car that had stopped at the same store. She was rescued, but her abductors managed to flee.

After three days of being raped and beaten and drugged, Newell was dirty, bloody, bruised and barely alive. She was airlifted to a hospital and had to be resuscitated twice. In addition to her serious injuries, she had been infected with an STD.
Lisa Brant also says -
Quote:
Brant said police accused the family of being uncooperative because she refused to allow Newell to be interviewed without a family member or a rape counselor present.
Shauna Newell also says she saw the man who raped her at the beach later.

I find it difficult to understand that a woman who was victimized in so horrific a crime, such that she suffered life-threatening injury, the mother has met and knows the person who committed the crime, the victim can identify the perpetrator, the brother sees her in the back seat of a car which could be traced, and the police don't follow up because they aren't allowed to interview the victim alone.
Quote:
Racism may thus help minimize the problem.
Not in this case, since the victim is white.

It seems like the perfect storm. Innocent pretty white teenager kidnapped, drugged, raped, and about to be sold into sex slavery. A known perpetrator, all kinds of leads, and yet the story just ends without resolution.

If this is a typical story, I would like to know more.

Regards,
Shodan
  #17  
Old 01-02-2020, 11:01 AM
SuntanLotion is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: mentor ohio
Posts: 235
I don't want BigBrother more than anyone else, but if kids are microchipped, they could be found.
__________________
He fell into the upholstery machine but hes fully recovered now.
  #18  
Old 01-02-2020, 06:55 PM
Two Many Cats is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,239
I would like to point out also that if a kid is repeatedly running away from home, there's a good chance there's a legitimate reason for it.
  #19  
Old 01-08-2020, 11:13 AM
SuntanLotion is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: mentor ohio
Posts: 235
The reward is over 17,000 right now.
__________________
He fell into the upholstery machine but hes fully recovered now.
  #20  
Old 01-08-2020, 12:03 PM
enalzi is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 8,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuntanLotion View Post
I don't want BigBrother more than anyone else, but if kids are microchipped, they could be found.
Microchips (in the pet sense) aren't trackers. They're just a way of identification.
  #21  
Old 01-08-2020, 02:32 PM
Joey P is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 29,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by enalzi View Post
Microchips (in the pet sense) aren't trackers. They're just a way of identification.
True. The only way they could be used as trackers, even in the loosest sense, would be to install RFID scanners pretty much everywhere possible. But I don't think we want to go down that road.
  #22  
Old 01-08-2020, 02:58 PM
Dallas Jones is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Orygun forest
Posts: 5,071
It is a good thing that we got rid of those carboard milk cartons in the US that we used to have when I was younger. They had pictures and stories about missing children on the back. So you could read all about it while have morning cereal.

Once we go rid of those cartons, the tragedy of the missing disappeared. It was almost like the cartons were causing the problem. Except that most of the missing were parental custody disputes.

So in a sense you could say that changing from cardboard to plastic, in this instance, saved lives.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milk_carton_kids
  #23  
Old 01-14-2020, 11:21 PM
Tom Tildrum is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Falls Church, Va.
Posts: 14,016
Sadly, they have found the body of Harley Dilly, the missing 14-year-old Ohio boy, in the chimney of a vacant house across the street from his home.
  #24  
Old 01-15-2020, 01:29 AM
Gatopescado is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: on your last raw nerve
Posts: 23,162
I had to walk uphill both to and from school, but never over the roof of the house across the street.
  #25  
Old 01-15-2020, 08:24 AM
Dung Beetle's Avatar
Dung Beetle is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 16,877
What a horrible fucking way to die. I couldn't sleep last night thinking of it, and of his family.
  #26  
Old 01-15-2020, 09:06 AM
Darren Garrison's Avatar
Darren Garrison is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 12,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dung Beetle View Post
What a horrible fucking way to die. I couldn't sleep last night thinking of it, and of his family.
This thread has some interesting details.
  #27  
Old 01-15-2020, 09:46 AM
SuntanLotion is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: mentor ohio
Posts: 235
I was about to post the news myself. Everyone, not only in Ohio fell in love with this poor boy. From what I have heard, it was a quick death thankfully. Even so, its horribly sad.
__________________
He fell into the upholstery machine but hes fully recovered now.
  #28  
Old 01-15-2020, 10:04 AM
Darren Garrison's Avatar
Darren Garrison is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 12,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuntanLotion View Post
From what I have heard, it was a quick death thankfully.
Six or seven hours is quick?
  #29  
Old 01-15-2020, 10:28 AM
SuntanLotion is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: mentor ohio
Posts: 235
Compared to however long it would've taken for him to starve to death stuck there
__________________
He fell into the upholstery machine but hes fully recovered now.
  #30  
Old 01-15-2020, 10:47 AM
Urbanredneck is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 8,109
What I have been reading is the abductors are going after more minority children. Black, hispanic, and native american.
  #31  
Old 01-15-2020, 11:46 PM
madmonk28 is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 12,619
The story of that kid is one of those things you wish you never read. He was just out doing stupid kid stuff and got killed, it's so sad.
  #32  
Old 01-16-2020, 12:18 AM
chizzuk is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
Curious how they made that estimate and how they know for sure. Compression asphyxia is the cause of death in a lot of crowd crush tragedies like Hillsborough--but those people died within minutes. I really, really hope that was an upper estimate and not true.
  #33  
Old 01-16-2020, 03:34 AM
kambuckta is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Great Barrier Reef, wooo
Posts: 10,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanredneck View Post
What I have been reading is the abductors are going after more minority children. Black, hispanic, and native american.
Have you actually read this thread?
  #34  
Old 01-16-2020, 01:25 PM
SuntanLotion is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: mentor ohio
Posts: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by chizzuk View Post
Curious how they made that estimate and how they know for sure. Compression asphyxia is the cause of death in a lot of crowd crush tragedies like Hillsborough--but those people died within minutes. I really, really hope that was an upper estimate and not true.
I really hope that also. I don't want to think he suffered long, and was hoping they would announce he died within minutes; even if it wasn't accurate (and how would they know down to the minute?) because everyone would feel better that he didn't suffer long. It really drew the community together, not just his city, but Ohio and other places.
__________________
He fell into the upholstery machine but hes fully recovered now.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:30 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2019 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017