Old 01-14-2020, 05:16 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsNaR6FRuO0
Old 01-14-2020, 07:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
Well, first you dial in to Compuserve...
If you were a True Doper you'd know that it's "first you dial in to AOL"!

Quote:
The Chicago Reader, June 27, 1996:

YOWSAH! THE STRAIGHT DOPE IS NOW ON-LINE!

If you thought the on-line thing was hot before, wait till you get a load of this: the Straight Dope is now on America Online.
Old 01-14-2020, 07:55 PM
Charter Member

It's amazing how ahead of the curve they were in the 90's and then it just.....stopped. The aversion to things like simple avatars and allowing the message board to be found with search engines was astounding.
Old 01-15-2020, 02:42 AM

Youtube is social media so people would have to stop posting links leading there, too.

I'll bet everyone in this thread has clicked on a youtube link.
Old 01-15-2020, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubaDiva View Post
Because we want our users to discuss and debate stuff here and not take it off to some other site.
And that is exactly the logic that I say doesn't work. inking something is how you get people discuss it here. If you don't link it, then it can't be discussed here. It would have to be discussed there.

If linking offsite led to fewer posts, then Reddit would be dead. Yet it is a site that has replaced nearly all other forums. Being able to link your content encourages people to share their stuff, and people like to share.

It's also never been a significant problem before, despite not being against the rules before. Assuming it will be a problem in the future when you have no evidence seems, well, irrational to me. You don't make rules about something that isn't a problem.

I also note that, since pictures were brought up in the OP, there is no way to post one's images on this board. So you have just forbidden discussing any image a poster has made.

To make explicit what I normally leave implicit: I invite you to reply and tell me why I'm wrong. Because, right now, it seems the logic is all backwards and would actually reduce the amount of participation here, rather than increase it.

The previous rule seems better--we'll allow it, but we reserve the right to ask you to stop if it becomes too much. Or, if you want to look at Reddit, you have the "only 10% of links can be to your own content," which seems to be working well enough for them.
Old 01-15-2020, 05:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowed Out View Post
The reason I don't favor Twitlinks is not because of board performance or whatever. It's because the Twitlinker is usually lazy and provides no context. The link will go to a long list of crap that may or may not be germane to the OP, and I don't want to flounder in Twit limbo looking for the salient point. Plus, I'm normally averse to click bait, because I'm usually directed to some lameassed shit that doesn't measure up to its headline. I refuse to justify the link by increasing the hit count. At least at this board, I'm secure in the knowledge that somebody expended some kind of effort into keeping their thoughts contained in one single post. I'm not impressed by how much I'm redirected over the internets.
First, I appreciate "Twitlinks." I mean, it's stupid and unoriginal, but it does a great job of capturing the vibe of retirement community members staring balefully at the teens across the street.

I don't know what "Twit limbo" is, but if anyone links to something incoherent (On twitter or anywhere else), you can call them out on it and request clarification, just like you do when someone posts something long and incoherent directly on this board.
Old 01-15-2020, 06:54 AM

I ain't in no retirement community and I agree that Twitter links almost universally suck. Half the time it's just a link to something else in the tweet, the rest of the time it's a context free one sentence story. It's only occasionally good when you want that sentence from the horse's mouth. The rest of the time, it's a lame lazy cite.

Last edited by CarnalK; 01-15-2020 at 06:56 AM.
Old 01-15-2020, 08:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
And that is exactly the logic that I say doesn't work. inking something is how you get people discuss it here. If you don't link it, then it can't be discussed here.
Sure it can, if instead of linking it, you just post it here, so we can see what you have to say without clicking a link! Remember, we're talking about linking to your own posts elsewhere.

I get the impression that different people in this thread are imagining or thinking about different things, and thus arguing at cross purposes with one another.

Here are the OP's examples:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
OP: What did you think of this movie?
Dalej42: I thought it sucked <link to my twitter rant about how much I hated that film>
And what people are saying is: Instead of this, why not just post that rant here? That way people don't have to click a link to see it, and deal with a different interface that they may or may not be familiar with.

(That said, I don't see anything wrong with posting the link, as long as you clearly identify what/where it links to and you accept that not everyone's going to click it.)

Quote:
OP: How bad is the snow where you are?
Dalej42: Well, don’t let a chihuahua out in my neighborhood <link to my Instagram showing massive snow mounds>
People have always posted links to photos elsewhere and linked to them here. It's how we "share" images here, and there's plenty of precedent. The only problem is if you link to a site that doesn't work for all Dopers (you have to log in or sign up or use a specific app or something like that to see the images).

Last edited by Thudlow Boink; 01-15-2020 at 08:26 AM.
Old 01-15-2020, 08:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK View Post
I ain't in no retirement community and I agree that Twitter links almost universally suck. Half the time it's just a link to something else in the tweet, the rest of the time it's a context free one sentence story. It's only occasionally good when you want that sentence from the horse's mouth. The rest of the time, it's a lame lazy cite.
That's fine. You don't have to like them. The question is whether they should be forbidden. If they're not forbidden, I suspect people posting to their own account's will be very rare. People already post to other people's twitter accounts, if only, like you said, to show that some famous person actually said the thing the poster says they said.

I can't imagine why anyone would link to their own account, I just don't see why they should be forbidden from doing so.

And again, this board does not host images, so anyone who wants to link to a picture has to link offsite anyway. People seem to like cat pics. Why not let people link to an Instagram picture of their new kitty? If you don't want to see the cat, you don't have to click.
Old 01-15-2020, 09:03 AM

SlackInc used to link to his own twitter all the time. It often felt like he was trying to gain followers to me.

I don't think it should be forbidden but I am pretty sick of:

Doper: They just shut down the investigation! <link>
--> content at link "They shut down the investigation! <link to BBC>", by some guy I never heard of.

Last edited by CarnalK; 01-15-2020 at 09:05 AM.
Old 01-15-2020, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK View Post
I see this all the time on Fark. Cryptic headline, link to a Twitter or Instagram thing. No clue at all as to what I'm supposed to be looking for that relates to the headline.

I would hope that the SDMB is more than one step above Fark.
Old 01-15-2020, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Borgia View Post
I don't know what "Twit limbo" is, but if anyone links to something incoherent (On twitter or anywhere else), you can call them out on it and request clarification, just like you do when someone posts something long and incoherent directly on this board.
It's when the linked tweet is in a long list of nested responses and you have to puzzle out which one is the OP. And yes, I (and others) have called out such sloppiness before and got no favorable results.
Old 01-15-2020, 10:45 AM

Can this board's software support lightweight embedding (like oembed)? That's a decent compromise I think.

Last edited by Chingon; 01-15-2020 at 10:46 AM.
Old 01-15-2020, 12:28 PM

We are all free to judge people's cites whether it be twitter, wikipedia, or the Giraffe board. Post your link at your own peril.
Old 01-16-2020, 04:32 PM
Charter Member

What the hell, we need the dues.

I say sure. We can mock a poster's link as easily as we can mock a post.
Old 01-16-2020, 04:35 PM
Charter Member

Is this still an open issue? If the OP was never made and the very occasional person linked to one or their tweets for some reason, no one would have thought anything of it.