Old 05-21-2019, 03:28 PM

Wrong Biblical figure. The 2nd feature with Help! was Mister Moses. Robert Mitchum as the reluctant hero.

I wonder what Spike Lee and such would think of this film now.
Old 05-21-2019, 07:55 PM

I'd actually spring for going out to movies if there were still drive-ins. The last movie I went to see was The Life of Pi, and that was only because I wanted to see it in 3D.

I spent every weekend at the drive-in in the late 60's at the lovingly nicknamed Dime a Dozen on Foothill Blvd. in Covina, Cal. My favorite memory was coming back from the bathroom during the cemetery scene in Night of the Living Dead and throwing myself across the windshield at the absolute perfect time when the zombie was after Barbara when she was in the car. Good times!
Old 05-21-2019, 08:16 PM
Capo di tutti capi
Administrator

Haven't been in ages. But I have some fun drive-in memories.

The one closest to my house when I was in high school, whoever did the programming had a sense of humor. I vividly remember the night they ran a double feature of Patton, followed by M*A*S*H. One night it was Fist of Fury and The Heartbreak Kid.

I had friends who had a truck and they'd put chairs and quilts in the bed and back in to the space. Cooler of beer. All the comforts of home. We'd come home tipsy and covered in mosquito bites. Good times.

Jenny
your humble TubaDiva
Old 05-22-2019, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthisar View Post
And they can't afford to be first run much anymore, either, because people bring their own food rather than count on the concessions.

Still, my wife and I go to the Ford-Wyoming once every year or so, and I can't wait for my daughter to be aware of going to the drive-in. It was a frequent summer treat for my brother and I during the late 1970's and very early 1980's.

It was two movies instead of one, if we could stay awake. And, it let us stay up late. We did sometimes purchase from the concessions: foot-long hot dogs before Subway apparently stole the trademark. We always brought out own popcorn, though, popped on the stove and put into a large, paper grocery bag.
I grew up in Dearborn, and that was the one I went to! Although my first experience with a drive-in was when I was about 3. We moved to a new house in Dearborn Heights, which was maybe a half mile or so from a drive-in, The Jolly Roger. I remember see the words JOLLY ROGER all lit up, towering over our back yard through the bare fall trees and it freaked me the hell out.

The only memory I have of going to the drive-in as an adult was in college, I took a girl to the aforementioned Ford-Wyoming and saw a double feature. I only remember one of the movies was Black Dog. Don't remember the other. Don't remember much to be honest. I think we were either pretty drunk or stoned through the first movie. I'm pretty sure we both fell asleep at some point.

I know I went to the drive-in as a kid a couple times, but don't remember much of the experience, except for the fact that we went.

Last edited by Happy Lendervedder; 05-22-2019 at 01:34 PM.
Old 05-22-2019, 03:21 PM

I grew up a few miles from this one: https://www.doorcountydrivein.com/

I still catch a movie or two there on the rare occasion I'm visiting my family up there and I have time to spare.

The last time I went was last season. We saw Solo and The Incredibles 2.