Old 05-19-2019, 09:44 PM

Lamborghini Huracan and a Lotus Elise
Old 05-21-2019, 01:01 PM
Charter Member

A 6th generation (1993-1999) Toyota Celica, with the round inset headlights. I remember it seeming like cool styling at the time, but man is that look dated.
Old 05-21-2019, 01:27 PM

This morning, a 1960s VW Beetle and a Karmann Ghia, both parked in the same driveway.
Old 05-21-2019, 04:31 PM

I just saw a Tesla Model-S. It was passing another Model-S on the highway. That doubles the number of them I've seen.
Old 05-21-2019, 07:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magiver View Post
I just saw a Tesla Model-S. It was passing another Model-S on the highway. That doubles the number of them I've seen.
I understand that they are rare in some parts of the country, but I see a dozen Teslas a day, at least 4 are parked in my office parking lot. I barely notice them any more.
Old 05-21-2019, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
I understand that they are rare in some parts of the country, but I see a dozen Teslas a day, at least 4 are parked in my office parking lot. I barely notice them any more.
Funny, I was going to post something very similar. I have a very short commute (5 min or so) and regularly see 2 or 3 each way. I saw a model 3 for the first or second time today, all others have been S or X models.
Old 05-21-2019, 09:49 PM

On my evening commute I saw a very tiny roadster that I couldn't immediately identify. By tiny I mean even smaller than my Miata. I got behind it at a red light and was able to read the nameplate, which looked like it said "Cappuccino". I'd never heard of a car called a Cappuccino before, but with a little Googling after I got home I discovered the Suzuki Cappuccino. It must have been a "grey import" from Japan; it did look like it was right hand drive although it was hard to tell since the driver had the top up.

Later on I saw a Pontiac G8 GXP, a car which I've seen on my commutes a few times before.

And in response to the previous posts about Teslas -- I'm in Northern California. I literally see several Teslas every day. It's definitely reached the point where I no longer consider any of their models interesting, except maybe the original Roadster. Although I used to see one of those on the road from time to time around here, too.

Last edited by WildaBeast; 05-21-2019 at 09:53 PM.
Old 05-21-2019, 09:52 PM

The earliest Cappuccinos are legit, not gray market, under the 25-year import law. Anything older than 25 years can be imported and titled legally regardless of its EPA or safety regulation status.
Old 05-21-2019, 09:53 PM

Quote:
I see 3's but not S's.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I see 3's but not S's.
I see all models around here. The folks across the street have a Model X, and their parents who visit regularly have one as well. The Model S are fairly common on the streets around hear.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:45 PM

Quote:
I see 3's but not S's.
I did a double take figuring out what the 3 I saw today was.

I joked with my wife just a few days ago that you see more Teslas than Hondas these days (maybe a slight exaggeration but not by a lot.)
Old 05-22-2019, 12:07 PM

In the SF Bay Area they are everywhere, as expected. All of them, 3s, Xs, Ss, and even a Roaster every now and then.
Old 05-22-2019, 01:32 PM
Charter Member

On my lunchtime walk I went across a 6 lane highway overpass and decided to look for a Tesla in the 45 seconds it took to cross. No luck, but I did see a Maserati Ghibli.
Old 05-22-2019, 02:23 PM

I was just thinking more about how Teslas are very common in some parts of the country, and very rare in others. It hit me that the same thing would have been true for other brands when they were first introduced, as well. For example when Toyota and Datsun (Nissan) first came to the US they initially only had dealerships on the West Coast and as they became more popular expanded to other parts of the country. So if we were having this discussion somehow back in 1969 someone in Georgia probably would have never seen a Toyota in person before, while someone in California would probably consider them fairly common. Kia was that way in the 1990s, too, and one I have personal experience with. In 1996, growing up in North Carolina, I had never heard of Kia, let alone seen one. Then that summer my family took a trip to the southwest. Everywhere we stopped, the Grand Canyon, Brice, etc, I kept seeing these unfamiliar little cars, mostly with California plates. Of course nowadays Kias are fairly common everywhere.

Last edited by WildaBeast; 05-22-2019 at 02:24 PM.
Old 05-22-2019, 02:41 PM

That’s part of it, but it’s also the new infrastructure — the Tesla Superchargers are still being rolled out. Try their Find a Supercharger site, https://www.tesla.com/findusm. I randomly tried Clear Lake, Iowa, for example, and the two nearest ones are 35 and 40 miles away.

- 42.674008, -93.462779 — 35 miles to the south in Dows IA

- 43.686060, -93.357721 — 40 miles to the north in Albert Lea MN

gMap here, https://tinyurl.com/y2erdtjy

Those are pretty far away.

(Clear Lake IA is just a random rural area town I’ve been through once. It’s where Buddy Holly’s plane crashed, ‘The Day the Music Died’.)
Old 05-22-2019, 02:54 PM

I thought of that, but for most people's everyday driving it's rare to really need to charge it away from home. You get an electrician to install a charger in your garage, then you can go out, commute to work, run your errands, then come home and charge it overnight. For the majority of people they have more than enough range for that. Although having the chargers out there probably helps with range anxiety.

I do often see them plugged into the chargers at work, but those are actually free, so who wouldn't take the opportunity for a free charge if available.

Last edited by WildaBeast; 05-22-2019 at 02:56 PM.
Old 05-22-2019, 03:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
I do often see them plugged into the chargers at work, but those are actually free, so who wouldn't take the opportunity for a free charge if available.
Our chargers aren't free, they require a CC. Same with the ones I see at the supermarket parking lot.
Old 05-22-2019, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Our chargers aren't free, they require a CC. Same with the ones I see at the supermarket parking lot.
I wonder how much they charge compared to home electric rates. A few years a former coworker who had a Volt told me it was actually cheaper to charge it on the chargers that you have to pay for than charging it at home (that may no longer be true now that we're on time of use rates, if he charges it during off-peak hours).
Old 05-22-2019, 06:02 PM

I wonder just how many of these Model S cars everyone is seeing are just regular old Model S's, or the mighty P100-D. It's a quantum leap in performance, so seeing that particular flavor of Model S still tingles my dingle.
Old 05-22-2019, 07:33 PM

I saw something with 4 wheels & a motor so I'm gonna post it here. A BMW GS (motorcycle) with a mountain bike on a rack; front wheel separately mounted.

Quote:
I thought of that, but for most people's everyday driving it's rare to really need to charge it away from home. You get an electrician to install a charger in your garage, then you can go out, commute to work, run your errands, then come home and charge it overnight. For the majority of people they have more than enough range for that. Although having the chargers out there probably helps with range anxiety.
I have a 5ish hour drive this weekend; approx 1-2 hrs of which I won't even have cell coverage it's so remote; don't think there's a lot of chargers on my route.

What happens if you run out of 'fuel' in an EV? AAA can't just come out with a gallon of gas; do you need to get towed somewhere or are they now starting to carry portable chargers?
Old 05-22-2019, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
I have a 5ish hour drive this weekend; approx 1-2 hrs of which I won't even have cell coverage it's so remote; don't think there's a lot of chargers on my route.
I assume this is not your everyday commute, though. How often do drive this route? Some EVs now come with a couple of free cars rentals per year for those few times where you might need to drive somewhere where the range isn't enough. But even if they're not free most people would probably save enough money "fueling" an EV versus a gas powered car to cover the cost of an occasional rental car. Or since most families have two cars anyway I could see people having one EV and one conventional gas powered car, and using the EV as the around town commuter and just taking the other car on longer trips.

Quote:
What happens if you run out of 'fuel' in an EV? AAA can't just come out with a gallon of gas; do you need to get towed somewhere or are they now starting to carry portable chargers?
I assume the former but I really don't know.

Last edited by WildaBeast; 05-22-2019 at 08:15 PM.
Old 05-22-2019, 08:50 PM

I drive an EV. I think if I ever ran out of juice I'd have to get towed to a charger. I don't know, but I'm not aware of any service trucks that carry chargers capable of charging an EV.
Old 05-22-2019, 10:24 PM

Quote:
I assume this is not your everyday commute, though. How often do drive this route? Some EVs now come with a couple of free cars rentals per year for those few times where you might need to drive somewhere where the range isn't enough. But even if they're not free most people would probably save enough money "fueling" an EV versus a gas powered car to cover the cost of an occasional rental car.
Where I'm going this weekend I only go once or twice a year; however, this is my third long trip, of at least 9 or 10 this year.
I drove ≈ 150 miles on Sunday; took me almost 5 hrs, including a whopping 4 minute stop for gasoline. That's because the first 45 miles took 3 hours! I know the range alone should get me further than that, but that's driving; how much range is lost in traffic like that? How late would I have gotten home if I had to stop & plug in somewhere for a while?
You do realize how much a rental car is on a holiday weekend, right? Plus you need to do things like add & delete EZPass from the rental car, move the stuff you keep in the car (dashcams, etc.) over & back. Then there's the issue of half the new & most of the rental cars come with a can of fix-a-flat instead of a donut, let alone a real spare tire. Get the wrong kind of flat & you're effed. Have no choice but to call a tow truck & spend the night somewhere because no one is open to help you out at 6pm on a Sunday evening. Also, one is never as comfortable in a car you don't know as you are in your own car - Windshield wiper, climate control & radio controls are not universally in the exact same spot; I can adjust all of those things in my car w/o ever needing to take my eyes off the road.

They may work for some people but until refueling EVs is as convenient & as quick as ICE vehicles they're a non-starter for me.
Old 05-24-2019, 12:31 PM
Charter Member

Two yesterday, another Alfa Romeo C4 Spyder, this one in red. I have no idea how good their mechanicals are, but the Italians design some amazing looking cars.

The other was a jet black Plymouth Prowler, haven't seen one in a long time.
Old 05-24-2019, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Two yesterday, another Alfa Romeo C4 Spyder, this one in red. I have no idea how good their mechanicals are, but the Italians design some amazing looking cars.
A recent issue of Car And Driver summarized their experience with a long-term Alfa Stevio SUV as follows (paraphrased): should come with a riding mechanic.

Today's for me was a spotless 1965 Corvette roadster in the classic metallic blue. Hoo doggies.
Old 05-24-2019, 10:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
I have a Chevy Bolt now. In a worst case scenario, I just find a regular wall outlet to plug into. That adds about 6 miles for every hour plugged in. I haven't run across a situation yet where I'd need to do that, but here in So Cal I'm rarely more than 5 or 10 miles from a charger so at most I'd need an hour or two boost to get me to a better option.
Old 05-25-2019, 11:04 AM

Yesterday it was a (I think) 1970 Challenger. Looked mint. Yellow with a black hood... I'm not really a MOPAR guy so I don't know the model details. He rounded a corner and hit the gas and the rumble was like music to me.
Old 05-25-2019, 05:12 PM

Spotted a Nash Metropolitan, 1957 or thereabouts, today. It's been a good many years since my last sighting. I wanted one of these when I was young and I think I'd still like one now, just for the fun of it.
Old 05-25-2019, 06:28 PM
Charter Member

A 30's vintage convertible coupe, nicely rehabbed.
Old 05-25-2019, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful Crow View Post
Spotted a Nash Metropolitan, 1957 or thereabouts, today. It's been a good many years since my last sighting. I wanted one of these when I was young and I think I'd still like one now, just for the fun of it.
Someone in my neighborhood had one of those until he moved a few months ago. Well, he probably still has it, but he's no longer in my neighborhood. I used to see him tooling around in it every once in a while. His was a '58 according to the license plate frame. The same guy also had a 1964 Studebaker Daytona.

Today must have been old SUV day for me. In the approximately one mile trip from my house to the post office, I passed an old Jeep Wagoneer, and shortly thereafter a 1980s Toyota Land Cruiser.
Old 05-25-2019, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful Crow View Post
I'd love to have one of those too. Was the one you saw a convertible or hard top?
Old 05-25-2019, 09:09 PM
Charter Member

A Maserati GranTurismo, I don't see them very often.
Old 05-26-2019, 05:57 PM
Shouting Grasshopper

While the cars themselves weren't that interesting, I thought it was pretty interesting to see 2 Jurassic Park Jeeps in the last couple of days on my road trip.
Old 05-26-2019, 06:28 PM
Charter Member

A 2nd generation (1953-1956) Ford F-series pickup, bright red, full restored, sporting a huge flag for Memorial Day.
Old 05-28-2019, 07:05 AM
Charter Member

An AMC friggen Pacer, on the side of the road in NH with a For Sale sign. It was actually in pretty reasonable shape for a car that has dealt with lots of salt.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:58 AM

I saw a new, bright red Fiat 500. One of the most common cars in the world, I suppose. I have never seen one here before.
Do you know a child in need?
Old 05-28-2019, 11:47 PM

On the way home today I saw a 1957 Chevy Bel Air convertible, with a red and white two tone paint job. It almost seems like the cliche of 1950s American cars.
Old 05-29-2019, 11:35 PM

There must have been some sort of cruise in or other car event going on this evening. In a single block I saw a 1958 Impala, what I'm pretty sure was a 1933 Ford convertible (I'm not great at IDing pre-war cars), and a mid 1960s Chevelle.
Old 05-30-2019, 09:44 PM

I've been on a steak of interesting cars of late (and I think California probably has an above average number of interesting cars). On this evening's commute I saw a Volvo P1800 coupe and a Porsche 356 Speedster.
Old 05-31-2019, 10:29 AM

The Ford show is in town this week. If I go on Sunday I’ll make a list.
Old 05-31-2019, 11:03 AM

Had an old Chevy Cavalier behind me earlier. Looked a lot older than the 80s vintage model that it was.

"Non-restored" to say the least. Primer gray hood, mismatched roof color, etc.

I think the hood pins were ... not the best option for this car.
Old 05-31-2019, 02:35 PM

The new Aston Martin Vantage and Holy Hell that is one good looking car. Even in a color I would liken to Matte Turd Brown, the car looked awesome. I especially like that you can actually distinguish it from all the other Aston models. Ironically (or perhaps not) it was driving past the Aston Martin North America headquarters in Irvine which, for such a high end automaker, their building always reminds me of a place that should be selling faucets or kitchen tile.

Also saw the new BMW 3 series (G20). Meh.
Old 05-31-2019, 04:05 PM
Charter Member

A 2019 GMC pickup with the new MultiPro tailgate, first one I've seen in the wild.

And a Series II (1981-1991) Jaguar XJS coupe, a car I always thought looks great.
Old 05-31-2019, 06:46 PM

Quote:
I've been on a steak of interesting cars of late (and I think California probably has an above average number of interesting cars). On this evening's commute I saw a Volvo P1800 coupe and a Porsche 356 Speedster.
I'm glad you're seeing them because I've been in a drought!
Old 05-31-2019, 07:27 PM

A threesome for me this week: A DB9 convertible in Grey (Freakin' gorgeous car!), a New Fiat Spyder (Miata), and a JDM Purple Nissan GTR. Ah, Summer when all the fun cars come out to play!
Old 06-01-2019, 01:36 PM

Blue-ish gray 4-door Ford sedan. 1961 or 1962.

Ever since I was a kid, I always called them "Andy Griffith" cars. ( from the B&W era of the show )
Old 06-01-2019, 06:31 PM
Charter Member

Two today.

First generation Buick Wildcat, a very large two door car in a pretty blue green color. Not pristine, but in good shape.

Second, a mid-1960's Porsche 911 in showroom condition, in white.
Old 06-01-2019, 06:50 PM

While out for a walk today I saw a 1990s Cadillac Fleetwood. Really, though, the interesting thing about it was that it had whitewall tires. Now that's not something you often see anymore.
Old 06-01-2019, 10:19 PM

I'm not sure where to start. Today I spent a few hours sitting on the patio of a place and watched so many interesting cars and motorcycles go past. I was with my son who is also a car guy (and my wife who didn't get our excitement). There wasn't a car show going on but this must be the day that everyone decided to take their toys out. I'm not exactly sure on all of these but I think I'm pretty close.

1971 or so Corvette Stingray with side pipes.
442 convertible
Brand new 911
1968 or so convertible Camaro
Several current Corvettes, Porsches, and Mustangs
The cherry on top was a brand new Bentley Continental GT that appeared to be modified with hood scoops and a rear wing. That one parked so I got a good look at it.
Old 06-02-2019, 09:05 PM

A Mercedes-AMG S65. I could get into using that as a daily driver, for sure.