Old 03-13-2018, 10:41 AM
Charter Member

Science people, critique my periodic table

The person who bought the table for my classroom wall bought the dumbest one I've ever seen, without names or even the stairs to show the metalloids. Using suggestions I got here, I have modified a vector file of a table using Inkscape.

What suggestions do you have? Especially look at the little tables at the bottom left that indicate electron filling order and electronegativity. I'm unsure about those, especially the electronegativity. I have put the lanthanide and actinide series according to a suggestion from my friend with a better science education than I. Are there arguments to be made about that?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1df...uMyUC22ouq37sk
Old 03-13-2018, 11:30 AM

Your lanthanides and actinides are shown coming between the wrong columns (should be one to the right). Other than that it looks like a pretty normal Meendelev periodic table of elements. The electronegativity values (Iím assuming you are using the Pauling scale) are only approximate and will depend on the actual molecular configuration, so Iím not sure of the value of including those other than as a general guide as to whether an element will tend to be an electron donor or receipient in a chemical bond, but there is nothing wrong about it.

Who creates a periodic table without the element names? How is that supposed to teach students anything?

Stranger
Old 03-13-2018, 12:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger On A Train View Post

Who creates a periodic table without the element names? How is that supposed to teach students anything?

Stranger
For a test maybe? You know, fill in the blanks?
Old 03-13-2018, 12:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger On A Train View Post
Your lanthanides and actinides are shown coming between the wrong columns (should be one to the right).

I assume you mean they are one too far to the right. They should be one to the left of where they are shown. Also the transition metals are shown in yellow not the gray as indicated in the identification.
Old 03-13-2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGuy View Post
I assume you mean they are one too far to the right. They should be one to the left of where they are shown. Also the transition metals are shown in yellow not the gray as indicated in the identification.
Correct, and good catch on the transition metals.

Stranger
Old 03-13-2018, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

There's an error in the fine print at the bottom about the relative atomic mass. It lists three radioactive elements that have actual terrestrial average atomic mass instead of the mass of the isotope with the longest half-life. That's true for two of them, but not for plutonium.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
The person who bought the table for my classroom wall bought the dumbest one I've ever seen, without names or even the stairs to show the metalloids. Using suggestions I got here, I have modified a vector file of a table using Inkscape.

What suggestions do you have? Especially look at the little tables at the bottom left that indicate electron filling order and electronegativity. I'm unsure about those, especially the electronegativity. I have put the lanthanide and actinide series according to a suggestion from my friend with a better science education than I. Are there arguments to be made about that?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1df...uMyUC22ouq37sk
Glad to see my advice to modify an existing vector file was helpful.

P.S. There's a little extraneous pink thingy on the right border.

Last edited by voltaire; 03-13-2018 at 01:03 PM. Reason: To remove second sentence I now see was in error.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:10 PM

Oh, and center up that title, it's bugging me.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:21 PM
Charter Member

Good points.

Transition metal box recolored, extra pink boxes deleted, arrow moved. Oh, and I just changed the footnote to be "However, for the elements Th and Pa which have a characteristic terrestrial isotopic composition..." The new phrase is not in the linked pdf below.

Any other thoughts about the little tables to the bottom left?

Revised version: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Ga...czBff0afH-odOb
Old 03-13-2018, 01:25 PM

Just for ease of reading, especially at a distance, it would be far better to set the written-out element names like

Hydrogen

and not

HYDROGEN.

If there's a good reason for the all caps (even if only that this is how periodic tables are always done), then keep them. But for reasons of readability and appearance, all caps is wrong.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:38 PM

Also (and this enters the realm of cosmetic twiddling, but why not, now that you're here)...

The symbols (H, He, Li, Be...) are quite low in the boxes. Is this because you need room above them for something? If you're not intentionally leaving room for something, I suggest keeping all the other components as is, but moving the symbols up, nearer to the middle of the box.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:49 PM
Charter Member

Since I only get to print this once, I think I will actually increase the size of the symbols and move them up, and change from all caps.

Anyone know how to change the paper size and then view at that size, so I can try to read a square on the screen from across the room?
Old 03-13-2018, 02:21 PM

The arrow pointing to the lanthanides is still in the wrong place (although putting it in the right place seems nontrivial since the electronegativity chart is in the way).

Agree with DavidwithanR that the element names should not be all uppercase.

The word GROUP at the upper left is floating there without any clear referent. It seems to be associated with the +1 directly below it rather than the group number to the left.
Old 03-13-2018, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidwithanR View Post
If there's a good reason for the all caps (even if only that this is how periodic tables are always done), then keep them. But for reasons of readability and appearance, all caps is wrong.
That was the first thing I noticed as well. All caps takes more effort to read and comprehend.

Also, is it normal to have this many significant digits for atomic mass, and why do some elements have more significant digits than others? Granted I'm an astronomer and not a chemist, but it seems the atomic mass is a function of isotope abundance and therefore a function of where the sample comes from, and pointless to specify to 0.001 AMU precision.

Last edited by scr4; 03-13-2018 at 02:32 PM.
Old 03-13-2018, 02:56 PM

Gallium is actually solid (by a margin of less than five degrees!) at 25į C. And I don't really see why aluminum should be colored as a metalloid; it has pretty thoroughly metallic properties. (Tin, on the other hand, has a non-metallic allotrope which is stable slightly below room temperature.)
Old 03-13-2018, 04:55 PM

The last line on the page has a grammar problem. I have fixed it - unless I've misunderstood the meaning, in which case I've ruined it. How about this:

Quote:
However, Thorium and Protactinium each have a characteristic terrestrial isotopic composition, so atomic weights are indicated for them.
Old 03-13-2018, 05:03 PM

Or this:

Quote:
However, for those elements (Th and Pa) that have a characteristic terrestrial isotopic composition, an atomic weight is indicated.
Old 03-13-2018, 05:14 PM

I hadn't noticed the text at the bottom when I made the comment above. But why does it say "relative atomic mass is given with five significant digits" when some are given with 4 digits and some with 6 digits?
Old 03-13-2018, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Since I only get to print this once, I think I will actually increase the size of the symbols and move them up, and change from all caps.

Anyone know how to change the paper size and then view at that size, so I can try to read a square on the screen from across the room?
Assuming you're working on it in Inkscape at actual size (as you should be) another way is to select a small section (one element's square) and go to "Export PNG Image" and then export just that "Selection" at 300 dpi, then print it at the same dpi on a regular letter size piece of paper.
Old 03-13-2018, 05:31 PM
Charter Member

I don't know what size this is. I don't know how to find out. I haven't tried yet.

Thanks for the grammar help.
Old 03-13-2018, 05:34 PM

Quote:
I don't know what size this is. I don't know how to find out. I haven't tried yet.

Thanks for the grammar help.
You're welcome - but please don't use my words without careful proofreading - I'm a musician, not a chemist.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:07 PM

I would center the symbols up-and-down but move them off to the left ... then add valences on the right ... that's kinda sorta the most important information for the student of chemistry ...

Last edited by watchwolf49; 03-13-2018 at 06:07 PM.
Old 03-13-2018, 07:34 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

It would be nice if the orbital filling were as simple as depicted. Unfortunately there are something like twenty exceptions. For example, the electron configuration of the ground state of Cr is [Ar]3d54s1, rather than the expected [Ar]3d44s2. The exceptions are those printed in red in the table here
Old 03-13-2018, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Go to Edit>Select All in All Layers>

...assuming you don't have extraneous stuff scattered all around the actual table, you should see the accurate "W" and "H" size up top, next to where you change the units of measurement to your preference. Now with the W/H proportion LOCK on, you can scale it up or down infinitely without losing quality, as long as it's all still fully vector based.

Once you've got it the right size, go on over to File > Document Properties, change units of measurement if necessary, and then click "Resize page to content"
Old 03-14-2018, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltaire View Post
Go to Edit>Select All in All Layers>

...assuming you don't have extraneous stuff scattered all around the actual table, you should see the accurate "W" and "H" size up top, next to where you change the units of measurement to your preference. Now with the W/H proportion LOCK on, you can scale it up or down infinitely without losing quality...
Just in case I wasn't clear about how to do that last bit, with that proportion LOCK engaged, just type in your preferred "W" value (right there where you see the numbers) and the "H" will scale in proportion.

Last edited by voltaire; 03-14-2018 at 12:53 AM.
Old 03-14-2018, 02:10 AM
Charter Member

One other thing, the real name of element 118 is Ogsmashium.

(well, it should be...)
Old 03-14-2018, 02:46 AM

When the arrow indicating the lanthanides is corrected so that it emerges from between Ra and Lr, it may end up having to follow quite a convoluted path. Or (if it's logical or proper to do so) the charts for electronegativity and orbitals could be moved to the far right of the page, the lanthanides and actinides moved to the far left, and... well, the arrow would still have a tough job getting where it's going, so maybe not worth the effort.
Old 03-14-2018, 11:23 AM
Charter Member

I found this page: http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index....Fit_Your_Image but the instructions seem to be for a different version. My version has Document Properties, not Preferences, but even then I'm stuck. I guess page size is the new term for canvas size, but even then I can't find Fit Page to Selection. I have Resize Page to Drawing or Selection, which seems like the same thing, BUT the dialog box doesn't fit on my screen; the bottom goes out of sight and I can't resize the box. I think there's an OK button down there, but I can't see it or use it, so this whole box is useless unless I can fix this.
Old 03-14-2018, 01:19 PM

--the noble gases are kind of yellow-orange, as are the transition metals. I can't tell them apart. Yes, I can figure out which are which, but I'd pick a different color for one of them.
--the box at the top has: Tc - man made, where the Tc appears to be fat and bold. The actual letters in the chart are outlined.
Old 03-14-2018, 01:27 PM

About the dialog box:

Can you use Alt+mouse-drag to see the rest of it? If not, can you blindly use the right keys to interact with it anyway?
Old 03-14-2018, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgato View Post
--the box at the top has: Tc - man made, where the Tc appears to be fat and bold. The actual letters in the chart are outlined.
This part is just how it's showing on your particular screen. If you zoom in on the Tc, you'll probably be able to see that it's actually been done correctly.
Old 03-14-2018, 05:45 PM
Charter Member

I think Tc was off. Thanks. I have it lined up now.
Old 03-14-2018, 07:45 PM

I just have a few suggestions:
In your latest version, the floating example key for Pt is still colored gray, but all the transition metals and noble gases are colored the same yellow-orange hue below (at least on my screen, they seem almost identical). I would propose changing the transition metals back to gray (in both your table and key), to match the gray in your example for Pt.

Can you fix the table below to match the darker purple that was used in the key above for the Alkali Metals? Or, at least change both the key and table to a new, matching color? On my screen, the Lithium group metals are exactly the same color as the lavender Actinides. Also, I think that the key should say "Alkali Metals," rather than "Alkaline Metals."

Elements 71 and 103 are miscolored...Instead, I would put "La" and "Ac" in your periodic table under Group 3, and then list all the Lanthanides and Actinides again below (including Lu and Lr), that way your arrow will be correct and doesn't need to be moved.

The word "Group" is shown to indicate the Group numbers, but not "Period" for the Period numbers. Perhaps this can be added vertically?
Old 03-14-2018, 09:33 PM

Quote:
I found this page: http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index....Fit_Your_Image but the instructions seem to be for a different version. My version has Document Properties, not Preferences, but even then I'm stuck. I guess page size is the new term for canvas size, but even then I can't find Fit Page to Selection. I have Resize Page to Drawing or Selection, which seems like the same thing, BUT the dialog box doesn't fit on my screen; the bottom goes out of sight and I can't resize the box. I think there's an OK button down there, but I can't see it or use it, so this whole box is useless unless I can fix this.
Check back through my posts in this thread and the other, I thought I went over that. I'm on a phone and busy right now, so I can't go into detailed steps or troubleshooting what sounds like a resolution problem(?), but if you post a link to the latest version and the size you want it to be, I'll do it for you if someone else doesn't do it first.
Old 03-16-2018, 08:04 AM

Quote:
"However, for the elements Th and Pa which have a characteristic terrestrial isotopic composition..."

Why are there so many elements in brackets ? Why aren't more elements in this exception list?

How about add the average of the terrestial occuring mass numbers for each element,
so that if its 99.9, we are pretty sure the dominant terrestial isotope is of atomic mass number 100. And then add the number of terrestial naturally occuring isotopes of any significant abundance. If there's one a trillion doesn't count, its irrelevant. So number more than 1% say?

And so if the number of isotopes in the sample is stated as "1", we would know the atomic weight given is of atomic mass number given - not an average of multiple. And thus there'd be no need for exeption lists. If you were given a sample of a different atomic weight or atomic mass number, you aren't getting the grams per mol from this periodic table. Unless the expected error isn't significant to you.

Last edited by Isilder; 03-16-2018 at 08:09 AM.
Old 03-16-2018, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltaire View Post
Check back through my posts in this thread and the other, I thought I went over that. I'm on a phone and busy right now, so I can't go into detailed steps or troubleshooting what sounds like a resolution problem(?), but if you post a link to the latest version and the size you want it to be, I'll do it for you if someone else doesn't do it first.
Ok, there's an easier way using keyboard shortcuts:
Ctrl+Alt+A selects all in all Layers
Shift+Ctrl+R Resizes page to selection