Old 03-26-2020, 08:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Antibob View Post
Also, apparently there's no Constitutional requirement the Speaker be a sitting member of the House, but this precedent has never been broken and is unlikely to be anytime soon.
So if there's no election and no House, does that mean that Pelosi is still Speaker on Jan 20th?
Old 03-26-2020, 09:28 PM

First of all, the federal government doesn’t control elections except to require that the states have them. The individual states control their elections. A state refusing to hold elections or perform a transparent count would be an extraordinary breach of Constitutional protocol, and while Trump has attempted to pack the Supreme Court with as many conservative-leaning justices as he can, no justice—even Brett ‘Devil’s Triangle is a drinking game’ Kavanaugh isn’t going to go along with that.

As for Trump refusing the leave the White House...please, the gods, let it happen! The image of the Secret Service dragging Trump out by his ankles and dumping him on Pennsylvania Ave is just too delicious. But seriously, all they would have to do to get Trump to leave is have the White House kitchen only serve a menu of grilled salmon with roasted red potatoes and tenderly sauteed Brussels sprouts, and Trump would have to make a speed run for the nearest KFC to keep his saturated oil blood levels up, and then they could just shut the gates behind him.

Stranger
Old 03-27-2020, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGuy View Post
So if there's no election and no House, does that mean that Pelosi is still Speaker on Jan 20th?
No, new Term, new Speaker selection. This is typically a formality when the majority doesn't change, which is why you never hear about it. "Majority Party decides to keep same Speaker" is up there with "Dog Bites Man" in exciting headlines.

Note there will be elections somewhere. Maybe a few states float that idea because individual states hold elections - not the federal government, but there will be at least one that will hold them. The others will follow along if it becomes clear the House (and Presidential electors) will be dominated by states that did not cancel.

This is one area where conservative governors/states won't go with Trump if he suggests it. They aren't going to slit their own necks for him.

Last edited by Great Antibob; 03-27-2020 at 07:54 AM.
Old 03-27-2020, 10:53 AM

If there's anything I know about that man is that he never has nor ever will take responsibility for anything. You are far more likely to get a "Heil Hitler" out of him than a "My bad" and there isn't a even a tiny hint of a joke in there, I'm dead serious.

Last edited by phantom lamb; 03-27-2020 at 10:53 AM.
Old 04-08-2020, 06:59 AM
Charter Member

The Democrats need to blanket messages like these. So far this election season the only add that reached me were from “Mike”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...a6d_story.html
Old 04-08-2020, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
The Democrats need to blanket messages like these. So far this election season the only add that reached me were from “Mike”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...a6d_story.html
I personally would welcome regular ads emphasizing Trump's lies/incompetence, but I wonder if the majority might find that inappropriate while still on lockdown.

Of course, the Repubs aren't slowing their agenda out of concern for propriety...
Old 04-09-2020, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRDelirious View Post

"Oh, that's what THEY say! Those are fake statistics, the state Medical Examiners are being very unfair, very disrespectful to the wonderful pharmaceutical industries, saying these people died of Covid, you don't know that, people get sick and die of things, I have very good people, very very good people who tell me it's not so."
and of course other lies his fan club will eagerly swallow.
There are in nfact people that seem to be spreading the idea that COVID19 deaths are being overstated for political purposes

https://www.lifesitenews.com/opinion...rate-fake-news

Have there actually been any people who were reported to die of COVID19 that did not get tested? I find this highly unlikely unless the hospital and the city gets so overrun that they cannot engage in testing.
Old 04-09-2020, 12:19 PM

Welp. It looks like people are assigning responsibility to Trump whether he like it or not.
Old 04-09-2020, 01:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damuri Ajashi View Post
There are in nfact people that seem to be spreading the idea that COVID19 deaths are being overstated for political purposes

https://www.lifesitenews.com/opinion...rate-fake-news

Have there actually been any people who were reported to die of COVID19 that did not get tested? I find this highly unlikely unless the hospital and the city gets so overrun that they cannot engage in testing.
Sort of. ISTR Gov. Cuomo saying that numbers are being underreported due to people dying before they could be tested.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 04-09-2020 at 01:47 PM.
Old 04-09-2020, 01:56 PM
Charter Member

Something knocked out my internet before I could completely fix my post. I meant to say that, IIRC, Cuomo has been saying the opposite.
Old 04-09-2020, 05:30 PM

The Lincoln Project (conservatives who oppose Trump) has a great new video out:

Quote:
Trump says his own impeachment “distracted” him from the #Coronavirus response. Let’s be clear: He was never distracted. He just didn’t care
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHjJydZO99A
Old 04-13-2020, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
The Lincoln Project (conservatives who oppose Trump) has a great new video out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHjJydZO99A
Isn't this the daily show?
Old 04-13-2020, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damuri Ajashi View Post
Isn't this the daily show?
No, the link is to a YouTube page attributed to the Lincoln Project. But there are a number of these videos around, showing clips of Trump's own words as contrasted with the actual facts (such as statistics about the pandemic). I've no doubt that The Daily Show has one or more similar videos out there.
Old 04-13-2020, 06:36 PM

In today's press conference, Trump said, "When somebody is the president of the United States, the authority is total."

So, he has total authority, yet bares no responsibility. How does that work, exactly?
Old 04-13-2020, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveyearlurker View Post
In today's press conference, Trump said, "When somebody is the president of the United States, the authority is total."

So, he has total authority, yet bares no responsibility. How does that work, exactly?
It's "terrible twos" reasoning.

I get my way all the time! No matter what I do there are no consequences! I am the center of all things! Everyone loves me and if they don't they'll be punished! If I break something it's someone else's fault!

The kicker is that there are adult humans who think this is a fine set of values for any adult to hold.
Old 04-14-2020, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveyearlurker View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
It's "terrible twos" reasoning.

I get my way all the time! No matter what I do there are no consequences! I am the center of all things! Everyone loves me and if they don't they'll be punished! If I break something it's someone else's fault!

The kicker is that there are adult humans who think this is a fine set of values for any adult to hold.
Right -- just like it's all on the states to combat the spread of the virus, but he alone gets to tell everyone when to relax those measures.