Old 04-15-2020, 03:26 AM

Will there be a 3rd candidate?

Nobody wants Trump or Biden. All is quiet during the unified war on a common enemy, but in a month or two, all hell will break loose, whether the pandemic is solved or not.

So, who is standing by to be a 3rd candidate? Sport bettting houses are giving long-sho t odds on Cuomo, Hillary Michele Obama, Gavin Newaom, Bernie.
Old 04-15-2020, 06:59 AM

What the hell are you even talking about?

Biden has overwhelming Dem support and has just been endorsed by Obama and Sanders.

Trump has the undying support of his MAGA-Cult, approx 63M strong at last count.
Old 04-15-2020, 07:00 AM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

I'd be very doubtful that anyone major will run third party.

But I'll also offer there's liable to be four or five candidates. I haven't tracked it but the libertarians and the greens will likely put someone out there and there are some others who'll climb on the ballot in some places.
Old 04-15-2020, 07:58 AM

There is also a small -but very real-chance that one of the candidates could drop out after becoming sick with coronavirus. All over the world there are leaders who have been infected.
If Biden meets with some advisors from a hot spot like New York, it is not science fiction to imagine him catching the virus.
That could put Bernie back in the race.
Old 04-15-2020, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Nobody wants Trump or Biden.
Incorrect. 30-40% of American voters want Trump. More Democrats want Biden compared to any other Democratic candidate.

Quote:
So, who is standing by to be a 3rd candidate? Sport bettting houses are giving long-sho t odds on Cuomo, Hillary Michele Obama, Gavin Newaom, Bernie.
These are all Democrats who already gave up their chances (except Bernie Sanders, who already dropped out). Hillary Clinton especially would not run, as she's fantastically unpopular and managed to lose against Donald Trump. Mrs. Obama has been very clear she is not running. And so forth.

You aren't even bothering to use an English spellchecker. I wonder why.
Old 04-15-2020, 08:24 AM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

Quote:
This? This right here?

This is why the thread can't be taken seriously. Sports betting houses are for shit. Because some idiot says there's a chance Hillary will run doesn't make it so. By citing this we know this thread is nonsense and shouldn't be replied to seriously.

Come on, at least try to make a real discussion.
Old 04-15-2020, 09:09 AM
Charter Member

Ugh, this again? Yes, there will be third parties. Maybe Amash is blowing smoke or maybe he actually will run. Some die hard Bernie bros on Twitter occasionally will RT the Greens, they look even nuttier than normal.

And no, if Biden were to drop dead, the nomination would not go to Bernie.
Old 04-15-2020, 09:17 AM

The Libertarians and Greens will put up their candidates as usual. I don't think they will gain much traction. Everyone knows what is at stake. To say nobody likes either nominee is ludicrous. Democrats have decided their best nominee is Biden, Republicans pretty much didn't have a lot of say in their nomination but considering DJT's 90% favorable ratings among Republicans, they are happy with him.
Old 04-15-2020, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Chance View Post
Sports betting houses are for shit.
What is that supposed to mean? Did you even look at the odds, or their history of calling elections? Or do you only trust those highly regarded political pollsters who never get it wrong?
Old 04-15-2020, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Sport bettting houses are giving long-sho t odds on Cuomo, Hillary Michele Obama, Gavin Newaom, Bernie.
Real long-shot odds. By comparison, the Browns currently have better odds to win the Super Bowl than someone other than Biden or Trump being president.
Old 04-15-2020, 10:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I can go to a betting parlor and place a one million dollar bet that Jimmy Kimmel will be a third-party candidate. They'll give me odds. Long odds. Doesn't mean Jimmy Kimmel will run, or that he'd end up on any ballot anywhere in the U.S.
Old 04-15-2020, 10:07 AM

Libertarians will probably do better than normal for them. Never Trumpers who are conservative might vote L.
Old 04-15-2020, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
What the hell are you even talking about?

Biden has overwhelming Dem support and has just been endorsed by Obama and Sanders.

Trump has the undying support of his MAGA-Cult, approx 63M strong at last count.
Warren has come aboard as well. Go Joe!!!!
Old 04-15-2020, 12:35 PM

Justin Amash has no name recognition nationally and it's far too late for him to try with the pandemic pretty much halting any real election campaigning and fundraising. People getting mad at him on twitter are wasting their time and energy.
Old 04-15-2020, 01:06 PM

If I read correctly on facebook, Biden said there's a place in his administration for Pete. So I can be a little more enthusiastic now.
Old 04-15-2020, 02:23 PM

Well, Joe Exotic is definitely out but I am looking forward to the Hillary Michelle Obama chimera the o.p. references albeit more to see which and how SNL cast member(s) play her.

If we’re just randomly pitching third party candidates, I’m hoping that Deez Nuts can get on the ballot.

Stranger
Old 04-15-2020, 03:22 PM

There's going to be a libertarian and green on all (or almost all) ballots, as well as a few others who's parties don't generally get on the ballot in all states. But they're all the usual fringe 'third parties' that routinely pull a few percent of the vote - none of them have a chance to take electoral votes in multiple states, or to get more than 15% of the popular vote (for comparison, Perot got 18.9 after officially withdrawing from the race). I don't see any real possibility for a major third party candidate at this point, it's late in a normal election cycle (Perot announced in February 1992, by comparison) and there is a major crisis that will interfere with getting on ballots and campaigning, and would probably lead to a severe backlash against anyone disrupting things.

I also think it's reasonably likely that someone other than Biden or Trump will win the election if one or both of those elderly men get Covid-19 and die or have to withdraw from the race. The replacement candidate would be a major party candidate though, not a 'third major candidate'.

2024 may well see a major third party attempt of some sort, either a 'no more Trump' split from the Republicans or (more likely IMO) a 'we need something other than a center-right and far right' party' split from the Democrats. Or maybe a Bloomberg/Perot styled billionaire decides on a path I don't really see coming and runs their own campaign.
Old 04-15-2020, 05:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enalzi View Post
Real long-shot odds. By comparison, the Browns currently have better odds to win the Super Bowl than someone other than Biden or Trump being president.
The difference being that the Browns will be playing NFL games every week and thus do have a chance to win the Super Bowl. They’re in the game at least.

Hillary Clinton, Michelle Obama, Oprah et al are not even in the game as they aren’t running for President. Money bet on them is worse than lighting it on fire, Scrooge McDuck could at least use the money to light his cigar or keep the fire going and stay warm.