Old 03-25-2020, 02:29 PM

why northern california

considering the larger population in SoCal, why are all the state offices--governor, senator, A/G, etc--all come from northern Cal?
Old 03-25-2020, 02:30 PM
Charter Member

Random chance?
Old 03-25-2020, 02:43 PM
Charter Member

I don't know about California specifically, but it's fairly common for the state capital to not be in the most populous city/region of the state (e.g. Albany, New York; Springfield, Illinois).

Why? Maybe they wanted a capital that was more centrally located. Maybe the state's demographics have changed since the capital city was established. Maybe it's for the sake of balance, so that one city or area don't completely overwhelm the rest of the state.
Old 03-25-2020, 02:57 PM

The motivated people live in the north and the southern part of the state is about beaches and Hollywood?

As far as the demographics, in 1900 LA was only 102,479 with San Diego only 17,700
San Francisco was 342,782 with Oakland 66960 & Sacramento 29,282
Old 03-25-2020, 03:08 PM

Why Sacramento Is The Capital Of California

Sacramento was a logical choice for the Capital of California. First, because of the Gold Rush, Sacramento had become the destination point for the new settlers coming to California to strike it rich. With the gold miners came shopkeepers, blacksmiths, and other service related entrepreneurs that gave the City an economic base.

Second, Sacramento, unlike the other temporary Capitals was not near the ocean so there was little chance of invasion. However, Sacramento's proximity to rivers that led to San Francisco and other ports allowed the City to engage in the economy both on land and at sea.

Last, many of the most powerful people in the newly formed State of California were in Sacramento. John Sutter and John Marshall helped found the City. The City had already been planned, street grids were completed, and it already had a government in place. In Sacramento no city had to be formed. Rather, the Capital could be moved into an area that had already been established

More to the point, Los Angeles was a small hamlet when California became a state, and all the action was up north during the Gold Rush. I think I learned somewhere that during the Gold Rush, San Francisco burned down (before 1906) and there was a plague going on there at the time the state formed, and business interests (both legit and sketchy) did not want the gold flowing to SF, so when the city leaders of Sacramento offered free land for the Capital, it was a done deal.
Old 03-25-2020, 03:16 PM

I think the OP is asking why the current office holders are all from the northern end of the state. I agree with Musicat; totally random. As for the location of the capital, back when the state was getting organized, Sacramento was conveniently located halfway between the gold mines and the port of San Francisco.
Old 03-25-2020, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoflower View Post
I think the OP is asking why the current office holders are all from the northern end of the state. I agree with Musicat; totally random. As for the location of the capital, back when the state was getting organized, Sacramento was conveniently located halfway between the gold mines and the port of San Francisco.
Oh, I read the OP wrong, then. If we are talking about why all the officers are from NorCal, well, it's because we're smarter.
Old 03-25-2020, 04:18 PM

Because nobody's really from southern California; they all just moved here.
Old 03-25-2020, 05:56 PM
Charter Member

In a quick search, former governors Arnold Schwarzenegger, Gray Davis, Pete Wilson, and George Deukmejian were all from SoCal. I didn't look at the other offices, but I suspect it's just happenstance that they're aligning.
Old 03-25-2020, 06:17 PM

Hey, I'm in SoCal. I'm a native. And I'm OLD.

I was staying with friend in Vallejo years ago and went to Benicia for the day. There's a "state capital" building there, because Benicia was the state capital for a little while. Cool little town.
Old 03-25-2020, 07:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exapno Mapcase View Post
In a quick search, former governors Arnold Schwarzenegger... were all from SoCal.
You can tell by the accent.
Old 03-25-2020, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrps View Post
Hey, I'm in SoCal. I'm a native. And I'm OLD.

I was staying with friend in Vallejo years ago and went to Benicia for the day. There's a "state capital" building there, because Benicia was the state capital for a little while. Cool little town.
Vallejo and San Jose also did brief stints as the capital before it settled in Sacramento. Benicia is the only one that managed to save a historic building.
Old 03-25-2020, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrps View Post
It's so good, I haven't left there in a week. Well, that, and the whole "shelter in place" thing.

Actually, Benicia does have a "Shelter in Place" siren that gets tested the first Wednesday of each month; it's there in case there's an, er, "accidental discharge" at the city's Valero Oil refinery, and this is a real shelter in place - get inside, close the windows, that sort of thing.
Old 03-25-2020, 08:49 PM

Quote:
In a quick search, former governors Arnold Schwarzenegger, Gray Davis, Pete Wilson, and George Deukmejian were all from SoCal. I didn't look at the other offices, but I suspect it's just happenstance that they're aligning.
but since then it's been Jerry Brown, Newsom,
Old 03-25-2020, 08:51 PM

I'm amazed how many posters did not actually READ my question
Old 03-25-2020, 09:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedman View Post
I'm amazed how many posters did not actually READ my question
Oh, I read it. I just didn't understand it.

You did ask about "offices," not "officeholders."
Old 03-25-2020, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Vallejo and San Jose also did brief stints as the capital before it settled in Sacramento. Benicia is the only one that managed to save a historic building.
I read that Monterey used to be the capital of California, or at least the governor-general resided there. Things rapidly changed after the Gold Rush, of course.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Two instances really aren't enough to judge by. Small sample sizes are the death of understanding.
Old 03-26-2020, 01:53 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Jerry Brown's first political office was in Los Angeles County. I voted for him then, and in every other race he ran except for mayor of Oakland because I was elsewhere then.

True, Jerry was born in San Francisco, and more than a few of the state's officers were also linked to The City and environs: Willie Brown, the last few US Senators, as well as some influential US Reps. I'll credit luck (for Feinstein, prominent only after a double assassination) and vicious Bay Area politics with its Darwinian competition. Los Angeles and San Diego pols can get away with sloppiness that's not survivable up north.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPRK View Post
I read that Monterey used to be the capital of California, or at least the governor-general resided there. Things rapidly changed after the Gold Rush, of course.
Monterey was the capitol and port of entry for Alta California. Then the US military occupation started a few years before the 49er Gold Rush; the capitol was quickly moved to San Jose, then Vallejo and Benecia, and finally Sacratomato. Now Monterey is only the language capitol of the world.
Old 03-28-2020, 04:49 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

For a long time everything was concentrated around the greater Bay Area--population, most higher education, banking, and, of course, politics.

Take UC for example. Today we think of it as Berkeley plus nine other campuses each offering a comprehensive university curriculum, and a few of those campuses have attained international renown in their own right. But until about 1950 there was really just Berkeley plus various specialized facilities up and down the state, e.g. an oceanography institute in La Jolla, a citrus experiment station in Riverside, and so on. UCLA was essentially a teachers' college until about 1940. For reasons that made sense at the time, the uni administration in Berkeley wanted to keep it that way. After all, most state universities around the country operated in a similar manner.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 03-31-2020, 12:32 PM
Charter Member

There's the germ of an interesting question in here. It does seem to me that the Bay Area dominates the Democratic party in California. But, as a southern Californian, maybe that's just sour grapes and confirmation bias. So I decided to look at actual data. I went back to 1992, which I consider the year California went blue.

There are 10 statewide elected positions, 8 state offices + 2 senators. (Technically Superintendent of Public Schools is non-partisan) Currently all are Democrats. 7 of the 10 are from the Bay Area, the other 3 are from Los Angeles. The last Democratic US Senator to not be from the Bay Area was John V. "My-ex-roomate-called-me-instead-of-the-police-after-he-drove-off-the-Chappaquiddick-Bridge" Tunney in the 1970s. Otherwise it's been Cranston, Boxer, Fienstein and Harris.

Since 1992, 28 Democrats have held statewide offices. 18 of those got their state in Bay Area politics, with quite a few serving on San Francisco City Council or Board of Supervisors. 7 are from Los Angeles, and the other 3 from the Central Valley.

So 70% of current officeholders and 64% over the past 3 decades. But given the relatively small sample sizes, it could just be coincidence.

The GOP tends to be a bit more spread-out. The last 3 Republican governors were from LA (Arnold), San Diego (Wilson), and LA suburb Long beach (Deukmejian)

So it seems to me that the Bay Area does dominate the Democratic side of things, and now that California has turned into a one-party state, it is more noticeable at the state level.

Last edited by ChockFullOfHeadyGoodness; 03-31-2020 at 12:34 PM.
Old 03-31-2020, 01:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChockFullOfHeadyGoodness View Post

Since 1992, 28 Democrats have held statewide offices. 18 of those got their state in Bay Area politics, with quite a few serving on San Francisco City Council or Board of Supervisors. 7 are from Los Angeles, and the other 3 from the Central Valley.

So 70% of current officeholders and 64% over the past 3 decades. But given the relatively small sample sizes, it could just be coincidence....
So it seems to me that the Bay Area does dominate the Democratic side of things, and now that California has turned into a one-party state, it is more noticeable at the state level.
Yes, the Op is correct. Right now CA is being run by a Cabal from San Francisco. I dont know why.

Folks the question isnt why Sacramento is the capital of CA, it's why all the current officeholders are from Norcal.

It was clear to me.
Old 03-31-2020, 10:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChockFullOfHeadyGoodness View Post
The GOP tends to be a bit more spread-out. The last 3 Republican governors were from LA (Arnold), San Diego (Wilson), and LA suburb Long beach (Deukmejian)

That's an interesting observation. But what about the future? Now that the Dems turned Orange County blue, is it likely that more state-level Dems will be from the south?
Old 03-31-2020, 11:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
That's an interesting observation. But what about the future? Now that the Dems turned Orange County blue, is it likely that more state-level Dems will be from the south?
Maybe, maybe not. Depends how stubborn CA Republicans are about brand. If a significant number of moderate Republicans essentially abandoned their party or at least go independent and start crossing over to vote for slightly more moderate SoCal Democrats that would be one thing. But I doubt that will happen quickly.

Because I'm pretty certain that there are still far more Republicans in urban southern CA than in the north. Yes, the old strongholds of Santa Barbara, Orange and parts of Greater San Diego are eroding. But there are still quite a few in those big suburbs, which I'm sure is still creating a lot more R/D push-pull in local politics. The north( which is mostly the Bay Area/Monterey and Sacramento population-wise )is and has been much darker blue and as a result I think they tend to vote more in lockstep for major statewide offices.

Last edited by Tamerlane; 03-31-2020 at 11:23 PM.
Old 04-14-2020, 02:46 PM

The Bay Area contains Berkeley and SF. The place is so blue that LA looks red and San Diego fascist (except for the SD sheriff and City Attorney).
Old 04-14-2020, 10:06 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by sps49sd View Post
The Bay Area contains Berkeley and SF. The place is so blue that LA looks red and San Diego fascist (except for the SD sheriff and City Attorney).
Bay Area also contains Oakland, San Jose, Sillycone Valley, Vallejo, Petaluma, major military bases and corporate districts, and probably the world's most diverse population. US News & World Report lists the most diverse cities. Half the top ten are in NorCal. See also their list of the least diverse - none in California.

WalletHub lists diversity in big and smaller cities. Note that diverse populations generally correlate with liberal attitudes. If you're going to live among different peoples, you'd better learn to loosen up and get along.
Old 04-16-2020, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RioRico View Post
Bay Area also contains Oakland, San Jose, Sillycone Valley, Vallejo, Petaluma, major military bases and corporate districts, and probably the world's most diverse population. US News & World Report lists the most diverse cities. Half the top ten are in NorCal. See also their list of the least diverse - none in California.

WalletHub lists diversity in big and smaller cities. Note that diverse populations generally correlate with liberal attitudes. If you're going to live among different peoples, you'd better learn to loosen up and get along.
I can't tell if you are amplifying the part of my post that you quoted or not, but SF and Berkeley are, in my opinion, farther to the left than everywhere you named.
Old 04-16-2020, 02:00 PM
Charter Member

There have been several articles about this in the local newspapers over the years.

Basically it comes down to the fact that Northern Californians are more politically active. They are more likely to vote. Democratic primaries have often featured someone from the North vs. someone from the South. Despite the population advantage the South has, they donít vote enough compared to the North.
Old 04-16-2020, 02:18 PM

In my 45 years as a California voter, I can't recall ever deciding who to vote for based on which part of the state they were from.
Old 04-16-2020, 03:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
In my 45 years as a California voter, I can't recall ever deciding who to vote for based on which part of the state they were from.
Many people vote in the primaries based simply on name recognition. Northerners are most likely to recognize people from their part of the state, and same for the South.
Old 04-16-2020, 04:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
San Francisco is well known all thru the state for it's corruption. Newson, Harris and others came from there. While i am not saying either is corrupt, I wont vote for any politico out of SF.
Old 04-16-2020, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
San Francisco is well known all thru the state for it's corruption. Newson, Harris and others came from there. While i am not saying either is corrupt, I wont vote for any politico out of SF.
You are kind of insinuating it. So is Jerry Brown and Diane Feinstein and Nancy Pelosi also corrupt to you?
Old 04-16-2020, 04:26 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
Kind of a broad brush there.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 04-16-2020, 04:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
You are kind of insinuating it. So is Jerry Brown and Diane Feinstein and Nancy Pelosi also corrupt to you?
Brown and Pelosi were never elected officials in SF. Pelosi's district does includes that area, yes. Brown also lived in SoCal after his early life.

Feinstein had her share of accusations, but the thing that bothered me is that she sat as the senator from SF, not CA.

San Francisco city politics are notoriously corrupt.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/opinion/...t-15115668.php

https://www.sfchronicle.com/local-po...r-15011155.php
https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/...ested-68592732

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/investiga...-play/2239161/
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...lee-corruption

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ross_Mirkarimi

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willie...investigations
Old 04-16-2020, 05:05 PM

I am curious if you follow any other cities. Because living in Atlanta that series of articles didn't make me bat an eye. Chicago and New York City also seem to have more corruption than that. Not to mention LA.

Is their any indication that Newsom or Harris were corrupt?

Last edited by ISiddiqui; 04-16-2020 at 05:08 PM.
Old 04-16-2020, 05:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I am curious if you follow any other cities. Because living in Atlanta that series of articles didn't make me bat an eye. Chicago and New York City also seem to have more corruption than that. Not to mention LA.

Is their any indication that Newsom or Harris were corrupt?
LA's corruption is pretty old, not ongoing. I admit that I dont know much about Atlanta. I wont vote for anyone out of Atlanta either, I suppose.

I never said they were. I just wont vote for any person who was a elected SF politician, who came out of that cesspit. They still smell.

I personally dont like either , nor their politics, but I have said publicly that Newsom has done a excellent job on Covid. He has shown real leadership on this issue.
Old 04-17-2020, 03:43 AM
Suspended

Search on "most corrupt US cities" and find stuff like a 2018 top 15 list:

15: Las Vegas NV
14: Cleveland OH
13: Wichita KS
12: Los Angeles CA
11: Richmond VA
10: Newark NJ
9: New Orleans LA
8: Detroit MI
7: New York NY
6: Houston TX
5: Miami FL
4: Baltimore MD
3: Philadelphia PA
2: Chicago IL
1: Washington DC

Los Angeles doesn't break into the top 10 and San Francisco doesn't make the list. So much for that.