Old 04-14-2020, 06:02 PM

Is today Trump’s “Hail Mary” moment?

I’m watching his press conference and 1) he’s cut funding to the WHO (essentially blaming them for everything) and 2) named off about 100 large companies and CEO’s perhaps to kiss their asses to open up quickly. Clearly strong-arming many states to open up as well. If he’s wrong, more people will die. Not sure if anyone in his administration will finally grow some balls.
Old 04-14-2020, 06:22 PM

The US already has the most cases and the highest number of deaths. Still lagging behind in mortality rate - 4.85% as compared to Italy's 12.97%, but we're catching up. Trump has managed the pandemic in the worst way imaginable.

2016 - "Only I can fix it." 2020 - "I am not responsible."

Blaming it WHO, the Chinese, the state governors. Meanwhile states are secretly ordering PPE and other equipment because if they let the feds know about the orders the fed swoop in and offer a higher price. And then Trump gives the good stuff to states whose politics he likes.
Old 04-14-2020, 06:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackknifed Juggernaut View Post
If he’s wrong, more people will die.
If he's right, more people will die.

Trump is showing how he lacks intelligence and political skills. He doesn't understand how an epidemic works (apparently nobody has been able to put the explanations in pictures). He thinks he can declare everything's okay and go back to normal. Smart people are saying we need to wait longer.

If Trump bulls ahead and ends the precautions, he'll end up getting the blame for everyone that dies in the next month.
Old 04-14-2020, 06:39 PM

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/14/polit...rus/index.html

"Trump claimed the organization failed to carry out its "basic duty" and must be held accountable."
There's that projection Trump is so famous for.

"On January 24, Trump tweeted: "China has been working very hard to contain the Coronavirus. The United States greatly appreciates their efforts and transparency. It will all work out well. In particular, on behalf of the American People, I want to thank President Xi!"

Last edited by bobot; 04-14-2020 at 06:41 PM.
Old 04-14-2020, 07:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/14/polit...rus/index.html

"Trump claimed the organization failed to carry out its "basic duty" and must be held accountable."
There's that projection Trump is so famous for.

"On January 24, Trump tweeted: "China has been working very hard to contain the Coronavirus. The United States greatly appreciates their efforts and transparency. It will all work out well. In particular, on behalf of the American People, I want to thank President Xi!"
Trump wanted attention and he insisted on holding daily briefings (or whatever he's calling them). Which was a terrible idea for him. Put him in front of a camera for ten minutes and he's likely to say something stupid. Have him do it day after day while he's feeling under pressure and he's going to give the Democrats a string of quotes they can use in their campaign ads.
Old 04-14-2020, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
Trump wanted attention and he insisted on holding daily briefings (or whatever he's calling them). Which was a terrible idea for him. Put him in front of a camera for ten minutes and he's likely to say something stupid. Have him do it day after day while he's feeling under pressure and he's going to give the Democrats a string of quotes they can use in their campaign ads.
The can call the compilation: Trump's pyre-side chats.
Old 04-14-2020, 08:29 PM

They're not daily briefings--they're campaign ads. That's all he does and all he ever has done. He puts on a bullshit show and there will always be just enough suckers to buy it.

He doesn't need a Hail Mary--he's always gotten by with regular bullshit.
Old 04-15-2020, 06:20 AM

Quote:
If Trump bulls ahead, he'll end up getting the blame for everyone that dies in the next month.
He'll never get blamed.
People are dying now,and Trump's supporters are not blaming him.
More people will die next month, and his supporters will continue to not blame him.

Look at today's headline in bold type on the front page of Foxnews dot com:
under a photo of Trump looking very serious and presidential:
"TOOK THE RIGHT STEP-- Trump's move to halt WHO funding creates opportunities"

Everything Trump does is the right step, the move forward,the best opportunity.
Isn't he great?!!!!! A true Leader!!!!! Why would anybody vote against him? !!!!!

(also a note about the OP's language in the thread title: it's not quite the right analogy.
A "hail Mary" pass in football is a last, desperate attempt to throw the ball wildly and maybe,just maybe get lucky enough to win. It is a tactic used only when you are losing and have NO other hope.
Trump right now is not desperate and not losing...he's holding steady at about the same approval rating 45% which he's had for his entire reign*. And 45% is enough to win the electoral college.

*(yes, I said reign--that's how he sees it.)
Old 04-16-2020, 03:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chappachula View Post
He'll never get blamed.
More people will die next month, and his supporters will continue to not blame him.
He'll keep his die-hard supporters right up to the end. But he needs to convince people who aren't his die-hard supporters in order to win.
Old 04-17-2020, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
On January 24, Trump tweeted: "China has been working very hard to contain the Coronavirus. The United States greatly appreciates their efforts and transparency. It will all work out well. In particular, on behalf of the American People, I want to thank President Xi!"
Wow. Is there some way to overwhelm cable TV and social media with Trump's own words? Would that get through to Trump supporters, or is a sledgehammer the only tool that would open their minds?
Old 04-17-2020, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
Wow. Is there some way to overwhelm cable TV and social media with Trump's own words? Would that get through to Trump supporters, or is a sledgehammer the only tool that would open their minds?
Fake news! That's not really Dear Leader talking! It's those liberals and their phottochopping (or whatever they call it)!
Old 04-17-2020, 01:27 PM
Suspended

Trump: 'LIBERATE' states with Dem-issued stay-at-home orders

This POTUS is now calling for open insurrection against legitimate American governments. Did he have another chat with Putin? Whose interests are served?
Old 04-17-2020, 02:10 PM
Suspended

18 U.S. Code § 2383.Rebellion or insurrection
Quote:
Whoever incites, sets on foot, assists, or engages in any rebellion or insurrection against the authority of the United States or the laws thereof, or gives aid or comfort thereto, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.
Old 04-17-2020, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chappachula View Post
He'll never get blamed.

Look at today's headline in bold type on the front page of Foxnews dot com:
under a photo of Trump looking very serious and presidential:
"TOOK THE RIGHT STEP-- Trump's move to halt WHO funding creates opportunities"

Everything Trump does is the right step, the move forward,the best opportunity.
Isn't he great?!!!!! A true Leader!!!!! Why would anybody vote against him? !!!!!

(also a note about the OP's language in the thread title: it's not quite the right analogy.
A "hail Mary" pass in football is a last, desperate attempt to throw the ball wildly and maybe,just maybe get lucky enough to win. It is a tactic used only when you are losing and have NO other hope.
Trump right now is not desperate and not losing...he's holding steady at about the same approval rating 45% which he's had for his entire reign*. And 45% is enough to win the electoral college.

*(yes, I said reign--that's how he sees it.)
Trumps brainwashed white nationalist cult will find some way to blame anyone but him. Probably someone they don't like (non-whites, internationalists, foreigners, etc). So they'll blame democratic governors, China, international organizations like the WHO, scientists from urban areas, etc.

These people can't die of heart disease fast enough so the rest of us can start fixing the country.

Last edited by Wesley Clark; 04-17-2020 at 03:19 PM.
Old 04-17-2020, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RioRico View Post

This POTUS is now calling for open insurrection against legitimate American governments. Did he have another chat with Putin? Whose interests are served?
I am dumbfounded. Even after three-plus years of shit, I am blown away.
(To answer your first question, s/h/i/t tweeted this crap minutes after a Fox News “report” inciting this).
Old 04-17-2020, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RioRico View Post

What in the world does the second amendment have to do with a stay-at-home order?

What a freakin' moron (Trump).

Last edited by Sage Rat; 04-17-2020 at 04:04 PM.
Old 04-17-2020, 04:08 PM

Why weren’t the protesters arrested for not maintaining proper social distancing? These governors need to break these up, or it puts other innocent residents of these states at risk.
Old 04-17-2020, 04:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
What in the world does the second amendment have to do with a stay-at-home order?

He's encouraging more of this.
Old 04-17-2020, 04:50 PM

It's more like "Hail Satan." The guy is truly off the rails.
Old 04-17-2020, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guizot View Post
They're not daily briefings--they're campaign ads.
They're not even that. They're the kind of low-budget infomercials that are only broadcast in the middle of the night on the local public access station. Every evening he's peddling something that turns out to be garbage. One of these days, I expect him to hold up a can of Brawndo in front of the camera and tell us it's what coronavirus craves.
Old 04-17-2020, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKellyMap View Post
I am dumbfounded. Even after three-plus years of shit, I am blown away.
(To answer your first question, s/h/i/t tweeted this crap minutes after a Fox News “report” inciting this).
I might have thought the country could have armed insurrections, but I never thought (silly me) that Trump would be calling for it.

Quote:

He's making a statement that people should defend their second amendment rights by over-throwing the state governments.

He is a freakin' moron, but he's absolutely a dangerous one.
Old 04-17-2020, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstro View Post
They're not even that. They're the kind of low-budget infomercials that are only broadcast in the middle of the night on the local public access station. Every evening he's peddling something that turns out to be garbage. One of these days, I expect him to hold up a can of Brawndo in front of the camera and tell us it's what coronavirus craves.
He's nothing but a sham-
SPOILER:
WOW!
Old 04-17-2020, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Daze View Post
He's making a statement that people should defend their second amendment rights by over-throwing the state governments.

He is a freakin' moron, but he's absolutely a dangerous one.
To be sure, "go and liberate yourselves" is a call to arms.

"Your 2nd amendment rights are under siege", however, is a complete non-sequitor. Being told to stay at home is unrelated to armament rights.
Old 04-17-2020, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstro View Post
. . .One of these days, I expect him to hold up a can of Brawndo in front of the camera and tell us it's what coronavirus craves.
If he does, enough suckers will buy it for him to get elected.

Yes, these "briefings" are like crappy, low-budget infomercials, but for him, that IS a campaign ad. He's getting the vote of the people who watch crappy, low-budge infomercials, and then buy the crap they see. That's the basis of his election, and his re-election.
Old 04-17-2020, 08:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guizot View Post
That's the basis of his election, and his re-election.
Let's not forget Trump went bankrupt six times. He has a history of getting himself into situations by making a lot of promises and then failing when it became apparent he couldn't deliver. Sure, he got elected the first time by being able to make all the empty promises he could throw out there. But by now some people who voted for him are going to be asking "Where's all that stuff you promised me four years ago?"
Old 04-17-2020, 09:26 PM

Quote:
...But by now some people who voted for him are going to be asking "Where's all that stuff you promised me four years ago?"
You would THINK that would happen.

Thus far however there is exactly zero evidence this is happening and plenty of evidence to indicate they are actually digging their heels in and sticking with him.
Old 04-17-2020, 09:59 PM
Suspended

Trumpweek in Review (snagged from a POLITICO email):
On Sunday, President Donald Trump propelled the #FireFauci movement. On Monday, he threatened to seize power from the states. On Tuesday, he unveiled a new advisory council with little to show for it. On Wednesday, he threatened to seize power from Congress. On Thursday, he kicked power back to the states. And today, he encouraged protesters to agitate for their states to open up — contrary to his own guidelines released a day earlier.
Two more weeks to go this month. A few dozen more till November. I'm afraid to forecast possibilities.
Old 04-17-2020, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Let's not forget Trump went bankrupt six times. He has a history of getting himself into situations by making a lot of promises and then failing when it became apparent he couldn't deliver. Sure, he got elected the first time by being able to make all the empty promises he could throw out there. But by now some people who voted for him are going to be asking "Where's all that stuff you promised me four years ago?"
We can only hope.

But I think we've seen--especially recently--that whenever he's called to accountability, he just starts blaming someone else, like a six-year-old caught in the act. And they will join him in blaming someone else.

He's just 100% bullshit, with a cult of bullshit-swallowing followers.
Old 04-18-2020, 01:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
To be sure, "go and liberate yourselves" is a call to arms.

"Your 2nd amendment rights are under siege", however, is a complete non-sequitor. Being told to stay at home is unrelated to armament rights.
True, but we're not the target for the intended message. It's that "second amendment solution" thing all over again.
Old 04-18-2020, 01:58 AM
Charter Member

IOW, he's simply trotting out buzzwords for the consumption of his cult of personality. Like pretty much everything else, he doesn't care if it makes sense or not.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 04-18-2020 at 01:59 AM.
Old 04-19-2020, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
IOW, he's simply trotting out buzzwords for the consumption of his cult of personality. Like pretty much everything else, he doesn't care if it makes sense or not.
He would not know if it makes sense or not. Not a freeking clue. Nor do his followers.
Old 04-19-2020, 04:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolak of Twilo View Post
You would THINK that would happen.

Thus far however there is exactly zero evidence this is happening and plenty of evidence to indicate they are actually digging their heels in and sticking with him.
Well, he hasn't run for office since 2016 so it's hard to see what would constitute proof that he's lost the level of support he needs.

But his poll numbers are horrible. And several candidates who he has thrown his support behind have lost elections. So there are definite signs that his base has shrunk below a survivable level.
Old 04-19-2020, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Well, he hasn't run for office since 2016 so it's hard to see what would constitute proof that he's lost the level of support he needs.

But his poll numbers are horrible. And several candidates who he has thrown his support behind have lost elections. So there are definite signs that his base has shrunk below a survivable level.
I don't think that his base has shrunk very much at all. His approval ratings are set in stone unchanging no matter what he does. What has changed since 2016 is that he has lost just about anyone who is not his base, and he has woken up the opposition out of their complacency.