Old 04-21-2020, 04:27 PM
BANNED

The flu killed from 24k to 62k (as I recall) during the last season with no social distancing measures.

Covid-19 is expected to kill 60k with massive and unprecedented social distancing measures.

It was originally predicted to kill 2.2 million. The number kept getting lowered and lowered to match a typical flu season. And the flu kills even though there are flu vaccines.

Do you understand that Covid will kill many more people if we turn off the social distancing measures too soon? It seems like you think it's exactly as deadly as the flu.

The survival rate of the Kung Flu is more than 98 percent.

Say another 150 thousand die. Is that okay with you? How many people need to die before you care?

The first 150,000 haven't died yet, in America. But destroy our economy (and right now, it's down to Obama levels) and a few MILLION will die just from the place turning into another Somalia.
Old 04-21-2020, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reason10 View Post
Except that their WELFARE states gobble up most of that money. It generally balances out.
Blue states generally get less than they pay in, red states generally pay in less than they get.

https://apnews.com/2f83c72de1bd440d9...low-tax-states

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP
Low-tax red states also fare better when you take into account federal spending.

Mississippi received $2.13 for every tax dollar the state sent to Washington in 2015, according to the Rockefeller study. West Virginia received $2.07, Kentucky got $1.90 and South Carolina got $1.71.

Meanwhile, New Jersey received 74 cents in federal spending for tax every dollar the state sent to Washington. New York received 81 cents, Connecticut received 82 cents and Massachusetts received 83 cents.
Old 04-21-2020, 04:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The latest projection for the Kung Flu is 60,000 dead. That's an average American flu season.
I'm not sure what exactly you mean by "Kung Flu" because so far as I know there is no disease with that name.

That said, the covid-19 disease death toll is current 44,000+ as of today. In comparison, last year's flu total was around 34,000. So in about six weeks we've exceed the entire flu total for last year.

If we continue to have 44,000 deaths every six weeks from this disease that puts us on track for 350,000 deaths from covid-19 by next February. Or six times what you claim for "an average flu season".

Quote:
And regardless of what vaccines are available and what government flu shots are available (and I'll trust a government flu shot only with a gun to my head) the flu will continue to kill around 60,000 Americans.
Except for years like last year, when it was around 34,000, or just a bit more than half of what you claim.

I would be more willing to lend weight to your statements if they contained nice, solid, heavy facts instead of the much less substantial and inaccurate content they currently contain.

Quote:
Without an economy, people will die.
Without people, the economy will die

Quote:
Without a tax base, without a way to pay for all those wonderful services out there that protect us, we become a self inflicted Somalia.
OK.

Let's start with heavily taxing the 1%. Because for darn sure those at the bottom currently have no jobs, much less money. We need cash fast so go where the money is. Tax the rich. Tax the people who are at this very moment still earning six digit or higher annual wages while working from home. There is your current tax base.

Quote:
Waiting around until the virus completely disappears is just plain stupid. And it's dangerous.
Opening up the country too soon is also dangerous.

But hey, you do have a point. So, clearly you're ready to volunteer for any needed high-risk jobs. Which other of your family members are you willing sacrifice for the sake of the economy and other peoples' money? Your spouse? Your children?
Old 04-21-2020, 04:33 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprise Me View Post
I'm not even sure they'll bear an equal share of the burden. Black people, for example, mostly don't support Trump but they're getting hit hard:

https://www.vox.com/coronavirus-covi...-cdc-infection
Trump has actually seen black support for him at 34% and that is UNHEARD OF for any Republican. Then again, he IS responsible for the LOWEST black unemployment numbers in history.
Old 04-21-2020, 04:34 PM

Quote:
The flu killed from 24k to 62k (as I recall) during the last season with no social distancing measures.

Covid-19 is expected to kill 60k with massive and unprecedented social distancing measures.

It was originally predicted to kill 2.2 million. The number kept getting lowered and lowered to match a typical flu season. And the flu kills even though there are flu vaccines.
The 2.2 million number was with no social distancing at all. Look it up. You don't understand what you're talking about and that's making you make incorrect conclusions that could get people killed.

Quote:
Do you understand that Covid will kill many more people if we turn off the social distancing measures too soon? It seems like you think it's exactly as deadly as the flu.

Say another 150 thousand die. Is that okay with you? How many people need to die before you care?

The first 150,000 haven't died yet, in America. But destroy our economy (and right now, it's down to Obama levels) and a few MILLION will die just from the place turning into another Somalia.
That's incoherent. I asked a question, do you know what the answer is? Are you okay with 150k additional people dying? If not, what number up to the 2.2 million for zero social distancing, is okay with you?

Also, another few months of restrictions are unlikely to kill more people than the runaway pandemic.

Also, if you graph Obama and Trump's economy it's a consistent slope. Trump is just continuing the good times Obama initiated. And Trump had to cut taxes for the wealthy and add a trillion dollars to the deficit to do it.
Old 04-21-2020, 04:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
So, in lieu of a vaccine, we went to social distancing and shut-downs, which as many point out we don't do for the flu. Even with that, covid-19 killed more Americans in six weeks than flu did in all of last year.

As I said in my prior post - the puts us on track for around 350,000 covid-19 deaths by next February, which means it will be the third most common cause of death in the US. That from a disease that didn't even exist last year.

Quote:
I don't know what this "kung flu" thing is. I thought we were talking about covid-19 in this thread. If you want to start a thread about a different disease please feel free to do so.

Quote:
The first 150,000 haven't died yet, in America.
No, but we're about a third of the way there in just six weeks.

Quote:
But destroy our economy (and right now, it's down to Obama levels) and a few MILLION will die just from the place turning into another Somalia.
Let me clue you in to something.

The economy has ALREADY crashed. That horse has left the barn. The entire world economy has crashed, not just the US. Every economy everywhere. It's just that the pieces of the wreck haven't quite come to a complete halt yet.

Whether we stay on lockdown or open up wide and get even more deaths it doesn't matter, the US economy has crashed.

The only question now is how we stay alive long enough to rebuild without the streets going Mad Max.
Old 04-21-2020, 04:42 PM

Quote:
... Kung Flu...
You keep saying this like we didn't hear you the first time. At best, it's pathetically unfunny. At worst its fucking racist AND pathetically unfunny.
Old 04-21-2020, 04:50 PM
BANNED

I'm not sure what exactly you mean by "Kung Flu" because so far as I know there is no disease with that name.

You know what it means. And now you are officially "cute."

That said, the covid-19 disease death toll is current 44,000+ as of today. In comparison, last year's flu total was around 34,000. So in about six weeks we've exceed the entire flu total for last year.

https://www.health.com/condition/col...flu-every-year
Overall, the CDC estimates that 12,000 and 61,000 deaths annually since 2010 can be blamed on the flu

If we continue to have 44,000 deaths every six weeks from this disease that puts us on track for 350,000 deaths from covid-19 by next February. Or six times what you claim for "an average flu season".

Flu season isn't that long. Mostly it will last about four months at most. But the Kung Flu has been projected not to exceed 60,000, chopped down from 2.2 million. If you are offended by me calling the Coronavirus that it's good. I've met half my quote today of triggering liberals.

Except for years like last year, when it was around 34,000, or just a bit more than half of what you claim.

The CDC disagrees.

I would be more willing to lend weight to your statements if they contained nice, solid, heavy facts instead of the much less substantial and inaccurate content they currently contain.

I haven't heard a whole lot of facts on this entire thread. Just a lot of hate. It's like you liberals are REALLY pissed off about all this FREEDOM speech.

Without people, the economy will die

Duh. Without an economy, people die.

OK.

Let's start with heavily taxing the 1%. Because for darn sure those at the bottom currently have no jobs, much less money.

They already pay 90 percent of all income taxes. And President Trump got all those jobs from overseas with tax cuts. That means more jobs than ever before and more taxpayers. Raise taxes and our job situation goes back to the Hoover/Obama days with record highest food stamp usage.

We need cash fast so go where the money is. Tax the rich. Tax the people who are at this very moment still earning six digit or higher annual wages while working from home. There is your current tax base.

And they send their money away. Their accountants get rich. And there are no welfare dollars for Democrats. Yeah, that sounds like a plan for sure.

Opening up the country too soon is also dangerous.

Nobody is calling for opening up the economy too soon. There are extremes on both sides, (your side for keeping the economy closed to get Biden elected) and the side that believes the country never should have been shut down. I'm kinda in the middle. And I trust President Trump's call on when the economy should open. He is the smartest president in the history of the country and we're very lucky he's calling the shots. There would be a MILLION people if KKKlinton had been elected. Trump surrounds himself with the best minds and he is probably the greatest leader this country has ever had.

But hey, you do have a point. So, clearly you're ready to volunteer for any needed high-risk jobs. Which other of your family members are you willing sacrifice for the sake of the economy and other peoples' money? Your spouse? Your children?

Thanks to Democrats, the PRO CRIME PARTY, my family members are in danger anyway. (Well, it would be worse if I were stupid enough to live in a blue state.)

If the economy doesn't open by the beginning of May, this substitute teacher might wind up putting in an application at Walmart, at least until August when the schools open. But I'm sure Florida will do the right thing. Our governor is very sharp. He has been right on all counts.

You liberals are not going to get your way. The quarantine is not going to be held indefinitely just to get an unelectable Joe Biden in the White House. Give up on that fool's errand.

The economy is going to come back and it'll be just as strong as before the Kung Flu. America will get back to work and they will remember that it was President Trump who made the right calls when it counted.
Old 04-21-2020, 04:57 PM
BANNED

The 2.2 million number was with no social distancing at all. Look it up. You don't understand what you're talking about and that's making you make incorrect conclusions that could get people killed.

I'm not so sure that is true.

That's incoherent. I asked a question, do you know what the answer is? Are you okay with 150k additional people dying? If not, what number up to the 2.2 million for zero social distancing, is okay with you?

That's like me asking you if you're okay with 150,000 dying if it would get Biden elected. Equally moronic.

Also, another few months of restrictions are unlikely to kill more people than the runaway pandemic.

Things were pretty bad during the disastrous Obama years. People had just given up on looking for work. A few months of this shutdown and it gets even WORSE than the Obama years. The tax base is gone, the American dollar is no longer the reserve currency of the world, government services are rationed out, and the streets become Somalia. That's a guarantee.

Also, if you graph Obama and Trump's economy it's a consistent slope. Trump is just continuing the good times Obama initiated. And Trump had to cut taxes for the wealthy and add a trillion dollars to the deficit to do it.

That is absolutely the dumbest lie in the world and you're not the only parrot that is vomiting that lie. Trump inherited the worst economy of all time and even Obama didn't think all those manufacturing jobs would come back. Here are the experts.
https://www.investors.com/politics/e...oming-economy/
For eight years, President Obama presided over the worst economic recovery in modern times. For six years, he blamed Republicans in Congress for thwarting his spending agenda and hampering growth. In his last two years in office, he claimed that 2% growth was the best we could hope for. And in his last year in office, while the economy was again stalling out, Obama claimed that Trump's tax cuts and deregulation would only make things worse.

But now that we're in the midst of a booming economy which kicked in after Trump reversed almost all Obama's economic policies we're supposed to believe that it's Obama who deserves all the credit.
Old 04-21-2020, 05:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
[E]ditorially IBT is clearly a Questionable source with promotion of right wing conspiracy theories and numerous failed fact checks.

Some "experts".

Last edited by Skywatcher; 04-21-2020 at 05:02 PM.
Old 04-21-2020, 05:05 PM

Quote:

I would take it to mean that you're unaware that Hong Kong is a different place from China. Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan were not communists. "Wuhan Flu" already exists, works just fine at what you're going for, and you didn't need to try to "improve". Sometimes it's better to let other people do the hard work of calling China China.

China is, arguably, a criminal country that deserved something like a Trade War. The pandemic hasn't really moved that needle, so far as global fraud and IP theft is concerned, and we are already engaged in said Trade War, so there's nothing to gain from trying to rally support for the idea. It's like trying to convince people that we should really get over there and take on the Nazis - circa 1944, three years after already entering the war. That boat has already sailed, landed, and is bombing the beaches, my friend.

Last edited by Sage Rat; 04-21-2020 at 05:08 PM.
Old 04-21-2020, 05:06 PM
Charter Member

Everyone should stop with the partisanship and calling each other names and blaming one side or the other.

This pandemic requires ALL of us to be nimble in our thinking, and adaptive in our strategy. We clearly do not know enough about this virus to really understand what's going on. Leaders around the world have sent confusing, conflicting messages. And the pandemic looks VERY different in some places vs others.

As we learn more about this virus, previous positions will become invalid. People need to be able to change their minds. But the minute it becomes political and partisan, people's positions harden and it becomes difficult to change minds when they need to be changed.

The truth is, both sides have a point. I brought this up before, but let's revisit this scenario: Let's say there is no vaccine to be had, and this is going to go on until we build up herd immunity. Let's also stipulate that the shutdown is extremely costly, in terms of money and social cohesion, and it will get costlier as time goes on.

Under this scenario, it seems to me that the strategy would be to open up just enough that we don't overwhelm the health care system, but otherwise expose people as fast as possible. A lockdown so tight that only .5% of the population is infected and ICUs are at 10% capacity may well be too strict, as it means we will have to shut down for a LONG time before we reach herd immunity - probably too long to be sustainable. In that case, as supply chains dry up and people go broke you could see mass protests, insurrection, and completely lose control of the ability to control the spread. That would be a disaster.

What's the correct strategy in that case? It seems to me that the correct strategy would be pretty much what is planned: Open up in phases, small trials here and there, being willing to tolerate a moderate rise in infections, but always ready to back up and lock down again if the cases spike too high, to avoid overwhelming the health system. That would be the fastest way to get to herd immunity with the minimum amount of death and dislocation.

Also, in that case it makes sense to open up the least-affected and lowest population density areas first, and those tend to be 'red' areas. Clearly, New York has to stay on lockdown. But does nowheresville Idaho, with total current cases equalling zero?

Unfortunately, the correct strategy depends on a lot of information we just don't have yet. But politicians need to have the flexibility to say, "we're going to try this", and then later say, "Well, that didn't work. Back to the previous plan." They will only do that if they are facing a reasonable electorate willing to accept that conditions change, and decisions have to change with them.

But if we all retreat into our little partisan corners and keep blaming the other side, attacking politicians who change course for being wrong, stupid, or evil, or unquestionably supporting 'our' side even when the facts change, we are freaking boned.

If there ever was a time for understanding and looking past political differences, this is it. But apparently, that's not going to happen.

Last edited by Sam Stone; 04-21-2020 at 05:10 PM.
Old 04-21-2020, 05:07 PM
BANNED

So, in lieu of a vaccine, we went to social distancing and shut-downs, which as many point out we don't do for the flu. Even with that, covid-19 killed more Americans in six weeks than flu did in all of last year.

I'm not saying I was opposed to social distancing. The two extremes wanted either enough months of social distancing to elect Biden or ZERO social distancing. I tend to be in the middle, where the President is. So far, he has been right all along and I trust his judgement.

As I said in my prior post - the puts us on track for around 350,000 covid-19 deaths by next February, which means it will be the third most common cause of death in the US. That from a disease that didn't even exist last year.

Could have been a lot worse if a Democrat had been in office and not shut down flights from China and then Europe. It could have been a million, easily.

I don't know what this "kung flu" thing is. I thought we were talking about covid-19 in this thread. If you want to start a thread about a different disease please feel free to do so.

You know what it is. And you're just acting triggered because I came up with a cutesy name for it. And you're not being clever by claiming you don't know. You're just making us laugh at your TRIGGERED status.

No, but we're about a third of the way there in just six weeks.

And again, I haven't been opposed to what has happened up to now. The President has been right about everything and I trust his judgment.

Let me clue you in to something.

The economy has ALREADY crashed. That horse has left the barn. The entire world economy has crashed, not just the US. Every economy everywhere. It's just that the pieces of the wreck haven't quite come to a complete halt yet.

But it wasn't because of Trump's policies. And if you liberals think you'll be able to blame Trump for this economy in November, you're going to look like idiots. Right now, this economy is about on the level of the Obama disaster. And nobody wants to go back to that.

Whether we stay on lockdown or open up wide and get even more deaths it doesn't matter, the US economy has crashed.

The economy has not crashed. That's like saying the disastrous Obama economy was a crash. We're not even close to a crash. And some businesses (Like Walmart) are making a bundle in all this. I wish I had owned toilet paper stock because Charmin and Angel Soft are flying off the shelves.

The only question now is how we stay alive long enough to rebuild without the streets going Mad Max.

If Hillary had been president you would have had to worry about that. At this point, we already would have been looking at a million dead and martial law declared. Fortunately, the American people grew brains in 2016 and did the right thing.
Old 04-21-2020, 05:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
You know what it is. And you're just acting triggered because I came up with a cutesy name for it. And you're not being clever by claiming you don't know. You're just making us laugh at your TRIGGERED status.
Are you deliberately using a racial and inaccurate phrase so as to 'trigger' people and to laugh at them?
Old 04-21-2020, 05:11 PM
BANNED

I would take it to mean that you're unaware that Hong Kong is a different place from China.

What does that have to do with the subject of the thread? And by the way, since you apparently haven't been paying attention, Hong Kong became part of China in 1997.

Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan were not communists. "Wuhan Flu" already exists, works just fine at what you're going for, and you didn't need to try to "improve". Sometimes it's better to let other people do the hard work of calling China China.

See, THIS is why liberals are so much fun to trigger. They come completely unglued. You're peeing your pants because I came up with a pun for the coronavirus. We're all laughing are asses off.

China is, arguably, a criminal country that deserved something like a Trade War. The pandemic hasn't really moved that needle, so far as global fraud and IP theft is concerned, and we are already engaged in said Trade War, so there's nothing to gain from trying to rally support for the idea. It's like trying to convince people that we should really get over there and take on the Nazis - circa 1944, three years after already entering the war. That boat has already sailed, landed, and is bombing the beaches, my friend.

It took a great President like Trump to show us all that.
Old 04-21-2020, 05:14 PM
Charter Member

Another thing: Politicians who seek to use this to advance partisan goals ("Never let a crisis go to waste") are doing immense damage because they force the issue to become political in the worst way, and feed into the anger/paranoia of the 'other' side. That goes for Republicans and Democrats, and all politicians in other countries.

This is a time to say, "We aren't trying to change the world here. Our preferred outcome is that things wind up back to normal."

If Republicans try to use this to create a new Republican-friendly world of low regulations, or Democrats try to use this to push a Green New Deal, we'll never be able to make coherent choices.
Old 04-21-2020, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Stone View Post
If there ever was a time for understanding and looking past political differences, this is it.
How on Earth could this be possible with Trump as president? He's incapable of decency, incapable of understanding, incapable of putting others first, etc.
Old 04-21-2020, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
How on Earth could this be possible with Trump as president? He's incapable of decency, incapable of understanding, incapable of putting others first, etc.
We'll just have to do it without him.
Old 04-21-2020, 05:16 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post
Are you deliberately using a racial and inaccurate phrase so as to 'trigger' people and to laugh at them?
What race?

Is it any more racial and inaccurate than to call the President ORANGE MAN? You people burn crosses while chanting that all the time. You can dish it out, but you can't take it.

What race is smeared by the term Kung Flu? Are you aware that a REALLY white David Carradine played a Shaolin monk in the TV series Kung Fu? (And that series WAS Bruce Lee's idea. He was supposed to get the lead part, except that Hollywood at the time thought he was TOO Oriental looking).

Were you triggered when a black singer wrote and recorded "Kung Fu Fighting?"

I'd tell you to lighten up and grow some tolerance, but you libs are so funny when you're triggered.

CONGRESSIONAL MEDAL OF FREEDOM WINNER Rush Limbaugh said it best. Liberals are very dangerous when they are in power and they are hilarious when they're out of power.
Old 04-21-2020, 05:18 PM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

The Moderator Speaks

Reason10

First and only warning.

We do not welcome trolls or any who do not wish to honestly debate.

Rein it in, behave like an adult or you will be removed from the Straight Dope Message Board.
Old 04-21-2020, 05:18 PM
BANNED

Quote:
So far, he has been the most decent president since Reagan. He understands more than you liberals can possible fathom. And he has put AMERICA first. He hasn't wiped his ass on the Constitution like his predecessor.

He is likely the greatest and most intelligent president in the history of America.
Old 04-21-2020, 05:22 PM

Quote:
See, THIS is why liberals are so much fun to trigger. They come completely unglued. You're peeing your pants because I came up with a pun for the coronavirus. We're all laughing are asses off.
Well, if I was liberal then you might have a point.

https://www.spglobal.com/marketintel...nies-to-comply

Belief and reality are two different things. I am glad that you are happy and believe that our Republican winner of the 2016 election is competent and honest. But it is provably wrong at every level. You can go over boring financial info, criminal records, and other things that have no partisan spin one way or the other and double-check what's real, free of all Liberal and Conservative bias.

I would happily do that with you. You won't come out quite as happy, but you're probably not happy going to get your prostrate exam either. It's still good for you.

Last edited by Sage Rat; 04-21-2020 at 05:23 PM.
Old 04-21-2020, 05:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by broomstick
OK, it generally helps when you're talking to other people to use the same words in the same language. We are discussing covid-19, which is sometimes abbreviated to "covid". It would be helpful, if you are referring to that disease, to use its actual proper name to avoid confusion. Especially since not everyone on this forum speaks English as their first language.

Quote:
Flu season isn't that long. Mostly it will last about four months at most.
Flu occurs year round. It tends to increase during the winter, but in reality you can catch it any time of the year.

Quote:
Raise taxes and our job situation goes back to the Hoover/Obama days with record highest food stamp usage.
This statement is just bizarre.

Hoover was a Republican. Food stamps didn't exist in his day.

Quote:
Quote:
We need cash fast so go where the money is. Tax the rich. Tax the people who are at this very moment still earning six digit or higher annual wages while working from home. There is your current tax base.
And they send their money away. Their accountants get rich. And there are no welfare dollars for Democrats. Yeah, that sounds like a plan for sure.
Where are they going to send it?

Do you not understand that this affects the entire world?. There are no more intact economies anywhere.

Quote:
Nobody is calling for opening up the economy too soon. There are extremes on both sides, (your side for keeping the economy closed to get Biden elected)
How do you know what "side" I'm on or who I intend to vote for?

Quote:
Thanks to Democrats, the PRO CRIME PARTY, my family members are in danger anyway. (Well, it would be worse if I were stupid enough to live in a blue state.)
Wouldn't know about your situation myself. I will say that I live in a red state, as I'm gathering from that statement you also do.

Quote:
If the economy doesn't open by the beginning of May, this substitute teacher might wind up putting in an application at Walmart, at least until August when the schools open.
If you want to get back into the economy so badly why don't you apply to Walmart right now? Why didn't you apply a week ago? Two weeks ago?

The store I work for has been hiring steadily for a month now, in many cases with the understanding that those folks intend to go back to their prior jobs when they open up again. Which is OK. We need them to replace the current staff when they get sick. Which is happening. In fact, my company has had at least four deaths from covid-19 and dozens of workers out on quarantine with the virus.

I'm out there working every day. As I said, if you want to be among the people still working you are welcome to apply to whatever stores in your area are hiring right now at which point you will no longer feel pressured to stay home. Indeed, you just might find you're working long days six days a week depending on your local area. It will definitely keep you busy.
Old 04-21-2020, 05:26 PM

Quote:
So far, he has been the most decent president since Reagan. He understands more than you liberals can possible fathom. And he has put AMERICA first. He hasn't wiped his ass on the Constitution like his predecessor.
We have heard a few people say he's an asshole but is advancing the causes they care about. You are perhaps the first here (or anywhere) to say he's a decent person, much less the most decent since Reagan.

Quote:
He is likely the greatest and most intelligent president in the history of America.
Again, congratulations on being the first to make such a claim (other than Trump himself) (or maybe Sean Hannity).
Old 04-21-2020, 05:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
This reminds me of a scene in a movie where a guy beat his girlfriend, then said, "I'm sorry, it's just that fucking Nixon!"

This is a GLOBAL pandemic. Trump isn't the beginning and end of it, and his actions aren't that much different than the actions of many other leaders around the world. He's made mistakes and good calls. He's also an ass that does things like bragging about the ratings of his press conferences while people die. That's who he is. It isn't going to change. But you know how to get the worst behaviour from Trump? Keep reminding him that this isn't just a pandemic, but war between right and left, and that his re-election depends on riling up his base against the other side.
Old 04-21-2020, 05:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
But now that we're in the midst of a booming economy
Um... no we're not.

Our current economy resembles a compact car post-80mph impact with a brick wall. Bits and pieces are still spinning down the street but it's pretty much at a halt.

To be fair, that brick wall is "covid-19 pandemic", it's not the fault of any political party or human individual.
Old 04-21-2020, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Stone View Post
This reminds me of a scene in a movie where a guy beat his girlfriend, then said, "I'm sorry, it's just that fucking Nixon!"

This is a GLOBAL pandemic. Trump isn't the beginning and end of it, and his actions aren't that much different than the actions of many other leaders around the world. He's made mistakes and good calls. He's also an ass that does things like bragging about the ratings of his press conferences while people die. That's who he is. It isn't going to change. But you know how to get the worst behaviour from Trump? Keep reminding him that this isn't just a pandemic, but war between right and left, and that his re-election depends on riling up his base against the other side.
Trump is Trump, and his behavior has nothing to do with those who criticize him. Refraining from criticizing him won't change anything except to make it easier for him to say and do shitty things. And it won't change anything about those who support him.

It's ridiculous to suggest that his critics refrain from criticizing him for the shitty things he says and does when he's not going to stop saying and doing shitty things.
Old 04-21-2020, 05:34 PM

How Sam can engage in bothsiderism without blushing as one side is actively cackling about triggering libs is beyond me.
Old 04-21-2020, 05:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

He has demonstrated unbridled contempt for every worthwhile virtue to which the United States of America has ever aspired, done his best to roll back every gain she has made, and behaved like the most abominable bully throughout his life.

These facts make him an America-hating fuckstick.
Old 04-21-2020, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Except that their WELFARE states gobble up most of that money. It generally balances out.
Trump's budgets (that he passed) have not cut funding to any welfare programs.

https://stats.areppim.com/stats/stat...lays_62x19.htm

And that includes two years with both branches of Congress being held by the Republican party.

Last edited by Sage Rat; 04-21-2020 at 05:46 PM.
Old 04-21-2020, 05:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

I'm not saying I was opposed to social distancing. The two extremes wanted either enough months of social distancing to elect Biden or ZERO social distancing. I tend to be in the middle, where the President is. So far, he has been right all along and I trust his judgement.

Who are you quoting here? We go by names, not by colors. Are you quoting one person or two? Which people?

I find this strange because the board software automatically provides quote tags, so you must be going to the trouble of replacing them. Why? It just makes your posts open to confusion and misunderstanding.

At least you're not using colors that mess with my colorblindness. That would be REALLY annoying.

Quote:
Could have been a lot worse if a Democrat had been in office and not shut down flights from China and then Europe. It could have been a million, easily.
Trump didn't shut down flights from China. He barred Chinese nationals from entering the US. Then he let American citizens who returned go back into the general population without requiring them to actually quarantine. Ditto for the post-Europe shut-down. This led to returning citizens who were infected but asymptomatic to seed new infections here in this country.

I'll also point out that with the US today at 800,000+ infections we are well on the way to hitting 1,000,000 and will certainly reach that number soon.

Quote:
And again, I haven't been opposed to what has happened up to now. The President has been right about everything and I trust his judgment.
Nope. He's been wrong on quite a bit. I'd have more respect for him if he was capable of admitting error but he isn't. Yet another personality flaw.

Quote:
But it wasn't because of Trump's policies.
Nobody said it was.

Quote:
And if you liberals think you'll be able to blame Trump for this economy in November, you're going to look like idiots. Right now, this economy is about on the level of the Obama disaster. And nobody wants to go back to that.
Actually, my situation improved during the Obama years... perhaps yours didn't. For me personally it was far from a disaster. Regardless, our current situation is far worse than anything under Obama. This is going to make the Great Recession look like a minor blip.

Anyhow - no one is blaming Trump for the current pandemic-induced crash. He certainly could be held responsible for how the government does or doesn't deal with between now and November, which is only proper.

Quote:
Quote:
The economy has not crashed. That's like saying the disastrous Obama economy was a crash. We're not even close to a crash.
That's just flat out ridiculous. We're looking at Great Depression levels of economic problems. Hey, if you're in denial about reality there's nothing more I can do or say.

Quote:
And some businesses (Like Walmart) are making a bundle in all this.
No, they're really not. Sure, more money is coming in but they are also having to spend more, from purchasing more cleaning supplies for the stores, hiring more staff to replace those who become sick as well as those who die, more costs for training new staff, increased costs if they have started offering paid medical leave or pay for covid-19 testing for their staff....

Quote:
I wish I had owned toilet paper stock because Charmin and Angel Soft are flying off the shelves.
Please research an industry before you purchase stock in it. The toilet paper factories were optimized for a certain level of production and were pretty much running 24/7 before this started. There isn't any reserve capability and by the time new production lines can be built the pandemic - and increased demand - will probably be over.
Old 04-21-2020, 05:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I would take it to mean that you're unaware that Hong Kong is a different place from China.

What does that have to do with the subject of the thread?
We're all wondering that, too. You know, if you have to explain a "joke" it means it's not very funny.

Quote:
What's this "we" you are talking about? Are you pregnant? Royalty?

I find it puzzling that you think we're coming "unglued", much less incontinent. Puzzled, maybe.
Old 04-21-2020, 06:14 PM

Quote:

What does that have to do with the subject of the thread?
This is a location for fighting ignorance, regardless of the thread in particular.

The people in Hong Kong were spared from Communism for a hundred years, had a free market, made billions of dollars creating action films - popularizing kung fu - were and are complete allies of the United States, and want China to be pushed back, so that they can be a free market democracy.

Let's say, for example, that England conquers Ireland, treats its people horribly for a few hundred years, a potato famine happens - killing millions - which the English laugh about and ignore. During this period, you show up and try to insult the English by calling them a bunch of "leprechaun lovers". Does that make sense in any way? Does it somehow make more sense because England owns Ireland? Do you believe that you come across as a person who knows what he is talking about and has a good grasp on what's going on in the real world?

Last edited by Sage Rat; 04-21-2020 at 06:15 PM.
Old 04-21-2020, 06:20 PM

Quote:

Covid-19 has killed 30.000 Americans in about a month and a half.
Old 04-21-2020, 06:26 PM

Quote:

Quote:
The President has been right about everything and I trust his judgment.
Has he? Let's take a look:

January 22: “We have it totally under control. It’s one person coming in from China. It’s going to be just fine.”

February 2: “We pretty much shut it down coming in from China.”

February 5: HHS Secretary Azar requested $2 billion to buy respirator masks & other supplies for the national stockpile

Trump cut that request by 75%

February 24: “The Coronavirus is very much under control in the USA… Stock Market starting to look very good to me!”

February 25: “CDC and my Administration are doing a GREAT job of handling Coronavirus.”

February 25: “I think that's a problem that’s going to go away… They have studied it. They know very much. In fact, we’re very close to a vaccine.”

February 26: “The 15 (cases in the US) within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero.”

February 26: “We're going very substantially down, not up.”

February 27: “One day it’s like a miracle, it will disappear.”

February 28: “We're ordering a lot of supplies. We're ordering a lot of, uh, elements that frankly we wouldn't be ordering unless it was something like this. But we're ordering a lot of different elements of medical.”

March 2: “You take a solid flu vaccine, you don't think that could have an impact, or much of an impact, on corona?”

March 4: “If we have thousands or hundreds of thousands of people that get better just by, you know, sitting around and even going to work — some of them go to work, but they get better.”

March 5: “I NEVER said people that are feeling sick should go to work.”

March 5: “The United States… has, as of now, only 129 cases… and 11 deaths. We are working very hard to keep these numbers as low as possible!”

March 6: “I think we’re doing a really good job in this country at keeping it down… a tremendous job at keeping it down.”

March 6: “Anybody right now, and yesterday, anybody that needs a test gets a test. They’re there. And the tests are beautiful…. the tests are all perfect like the letter was perfect. The transcription was perfect. Right? This was not as perfect as that but pretty good.”

March 6: “I like this stuff. I really get it. People are surprised that I understand it… Every one of these doctors said, ‘How do you know so much about this?’ Maybe I have a natural ability. Maybe I should have done that instead of running for president.”

March 6: “I don't need to have the numbers double because of one ship that wasn't our fault.”

March 8: “We have a perfectly coordinated and fine tuned plan at the White House for our attack on CoronaVirus.”

March 9: “This blindsided the world.”

March 9: "The Fake News Media and their partner, the Democrat Party, is doing everything within its semi-considerable power (it used to be greater!) to inflame the CoronaVirus situation, far beyond what the facts would warrant.”

March 10: "It will go away. Just stay calm. It will go away."

March 13: National Emergency Declaration

March 15: "It's a very contagious virus. It's incredible. But it's something we have tremendous control of."

March 19: "And we’re going to be able to make that drug available almost immediately, and that’s where the FDA has been so great. They — they’ve gone through the approval process. It’s been approved."

March 19: FDA "Chrloroquine has not been approved for use against COVID-19."

March 23rd: "You look at automobile accidents, which are far greater than any numbers we're talking about. That doesn't mean we're going to tell everybody no more driving of cars. So we have to do things to get our country open."

(Fatal car accidents aren't doubling every two days)

Yeah, I know you and 63M of your MAGAcult buddies think this is what success looks like. But to those of us who don't have our heads shoved up Trump's ass, this has been an unmitigated disaster. And that's just the past few months. The past 3+ years is further proof that the pathological lying sociopath isn't fit to shovel shit from one place to another. But you are free to swallow all the lies you like. Just stop wasting everybody else's time with this bullshit.

Last edited by QuickSilver; 04-21-2020 at 06:30 PM.
Old 04-21-2020, 06:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingon View Post
How Sam can engage in bothsiderism without blushing as one side is actively cackling about triggering libs is beyond me.
The people cackling about 'triggering libs' during a pandemic are also assholes. That doesn't mean the other side should play, but of course they do, as evidenced by many threads on this board.
Old 04-21-2020, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Wow. I think you and I reside in different realities. I don't think he was even the most intelligent person in the scenes he filmed for Home Alone 2.
Old 04-21-2020, 06:56 PM

It isn't clear yet whether relaxing the lockdown regulations now is the right thing to do. There are still hot spots that are very active and some that are going to get worse before they get better. Letting a small community in some backwater town in the middle of nowhere return to normal now is not going to stimulate the economy or save it from the damage already suffered. It may lift local moral a bit but it will be short lived because either they will expose themselves to an outbreak or they will remain prisoners of their county because nothing else around them is open and no one will do business with them until everyone feels safe doing so.

It's too early to know what the right thing to do is, on what scale and where to begin. We don't yet know enough about the extent of the damage opening now might cause because we don't yet have a full understanding of the impact thus far. The prudent thing to do in this moment in time is to wait it out a little longer. End of May according to many states. Then re-evaluate again with more available information. To do what Georgia just did is the height of irresponsibility.
Old 04-21-2020, 07:03 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I just listened to the Mayor of Las Vegas say that because she assumes that everyone has been exposed to Covid-19 already she wants to completely open up the town. My personal opinion is that if this happens this country is fucked.

Last edited by Czarcasm; 04-21-2020 at 07:03 PM.
Old 04-21-2020, 07:04 PM

Quote:

Covid 19 isn't "expected" to any fucking thing. It's new. We haven't fucking experienced it before, and its devastation hasn't yet peaked in America.

"Expected to"

What the fuck? Is this bullshit in the Pit yet?
Old 04-21-2020, 07:06 PM

Reason10 got the ban hammer.
Old 04-21-2020, 07:09 PM

Quote:

"I know South Korea better than anybody," Trump said. "It's a very tight - do you know how many people are in Seoul? Do you know how big the city of Seoul is? 38 million people. That's bigger than anything we have."

Seoul actually only has a population of 10m.
Old 04-21-2020, 07:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeegee View Post
Reason10 got the ban hammer.
That was one of the few predictable things to happen this week.

Apparently he was aiming at the "libruls" and triggered a mod by mistake.

Last edited by Broomstick; 04-21-2020 at 07:15 PM.
Old 04-21-2020, 07:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boycott View Post
"I know South Korea better than anybody," Trump said. "It's a very tight - do you know how many people are in Seoul? Do you know how big the city of Seoul is? 38 million people. That's bigger than anything we have."

Seoul actually only has a population of 10m.
And its elevation is 38m.

Trump: the most easily befuddled president since Reagan.
Old 04-22-2020, 06:51 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
I just listened to the Mayor of Las Vegas say that because she assumes that everyone has been exposed to Covid-19 already she wants to completely open up the town. My personal opinion is that if this happens this country is fucked.
Watch, listen and shudder. She says that "free enterprise" will protect everyone.
Old 04-23-2020, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
New York is only at about 13%.

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcar...ary-data-shows

It's unlikely that Las Vegas is higher than that. They have a good distance that they can still climb, if they take the brakes off.
Old 04-23-2020, 02:35 PM
Charter Member

It's official: protesters and certain political figures are more irresponsible than Juggalos.