Old 04-25-2020, 12:11 PM

3/4 of US Senators want our tax money to support local news

CNN story here.

This bipartisan collection of senators think that local news outlets need financial support right now. Sure, supporting local news is a good idea I guess, but those senators have massive campaign funds that are going to be used heavily for advertising on local news outlets. So they could be supporting those new outlets right now by buying ads, and they get the benefit of campaigning at the same time. Why should we the taxpayers cover this cost when they have the money, but don't think it's worthwhile for them to spend it right at the moment?
Old 04-25-2020, 12:22 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Who owns these local stations? What corporations would eventually get all this taxpayer money?
Old 04-25-2020, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
Who owns these local stations? What corporations would eventually get all this taxpayer money?
You already know the answer to this, don't you? I do. Which is why I'm against it.
Old 04-25-2020, 12:55 PM
SD Curator of Critters

This is more about politics than directly about the coronavirus. Moving to P&E.

Colibri
Quarantine Zone Moderator
Old 04-25-2020, 02:02 PM
Charter Member

The current Senate has shown it deserves to be treated with a high degree of suspicion. They may be publicly saying the intent of this proposal is to help local news reporting. But I strongly suspect that there would be some text buried in any bill that's proposed which would give them the power to control what news is reported and how it's reported.
Old 04-25-2020, 02:14 PM

Just another step in the direction of nation state-run news. Like... uhhh... what are those other countries? Oh, yeah. Russia, North Korea, China, for a start.
Old 04-25-2020, 02:24 PM
Charter Member

They are purchasing future good coverage.

It’s quid pro quo all over again, isn’t it?
Old 04-25-2020, 02:24 PM

I suspect the main beneficiary of the bill will be the Sinclair Media Group.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinclair_Broadcast_Group

They own almost 200 local station across the country and they are huge conservative mouthpieces. They are deep in the bag for Trump. Itís just another aspect of the ongoing heist.

https://www.vox.com/2018/4/3/1718002...s-tv-affiliate

Last edited by Ann Hedonia; 04-25-2020 at 02:27 PM.
Old 04-25-2020, 02:29 PM

The Free Press problem is the worst part of this. Simply having the government determine who is a news outlet is enough of problem, having those news outlets beholding to the government is even worse. And what if I want to open a competing news outlet in my locality, do I get the funds too?

I don't think a news outlet having economic problems because of low advertising due to the pandemic was likely to survive anyway. Maybe the senate could look past the end of their noses for other businesses that need help now even if those businesses aren't critical to re-election campaigns, not to mention the corporate media ties back to those senate campaigns and other political activity.
Old 04-25-2020, 02:36 PM

3/4ths would mean, at minimum, half of all Democrats.

I'd have to expect that there's some argument to be made for local news that's not simply playing into Sinclair's hands. Though, I do expect, that depends on the text of the legislation. The Democrats might be thinking things like, "Public Broadcasting".
Old 04-25-2020, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
The current Senate has shown it deserves to be treated with a high degree of suspicion. They may be publicly saying the intent of this proposal is to help local news reporting. But I strongly suspect that there would be some text buried in any bill that's proposed which would give them the power to control what news is reported and how it's reported.
They don't even need to say it; the legislation itself makes that thought implicit. "Piss us off, and see what happens to your funding."
Old 04-25-2020, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Hedonia View Post
I suspect the main beneficiary of the bill will be the Sinclair Media Group.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinclair_Broadcast_Group

They own almost 200 local station across the country and they are huge conservative mouthpieces. They are deep in the bag for Trump. Itís just another aspect of the ongoing heist.

https://www.vox.com/2018/4/3/1718002...s-tv-affiliate
Surprisingly, Sinclair actually has decent local reporting from to time to time and the reporters aren't necessarily pro-Trump stooges. Some are, of course.