Old 04-25-2020, 12:13 PM

So, Joe Staley told the 49ers he was retiring, privately before the draft, so they could find a replacement. Instead of selecting Tristan Wirfs at #13, they fleeced Miami, picked a top DT, used the pickup to trade up for a WR they really wanted, and used a 5th and a future 3rd for Trent Williams.
Old 04-25-2020, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsircool View Post
And thank you NFL draft for smacking me back to normalcy. I feel alive again.
I feel the opposite. This is giving me even more cabin fever watching everyone through a webcam. Might as well be at work.
Old 04-25-2020, 01:12 PM

Niners get Trent Williams from Washington for a 5th rounder this year and a 3rd rounder next year (and a likely restructured contract so he gets paid). Williams is a damn good player who is 31 years old, so it seems like the Niners got the better end of the deal (especially with Joe Staley retiring). Fuck Dan Snyder. Which is the way every fan should finish talking about Washington.
Old 04-25-2020, 02:15 PM

I am a big detractor of the inaccurate, overrated play of one Josh Allen. So the Bills get some kudos for drafting Jake Fromm in the 5th round. Fromm doesn't have much of an arm, but he's smart, a good leader, and continued to beat out bigger, stronger, and more athletic QB's while at Georgia. A solid backup, who, if he develops (and the Bills realize Josh Allen can only throw accurate within 10 yards of the line of scrimmage) he could be a solid starting QB in the NFL. Good value and good pick.

The Bucs snag Tyler Johnson for Brady to throw to. With Mike Evans and Chris Godwin both studs at the WR position, Tyler might carve out a niche as a good #3 WR. He just seems to get open. The Dolphins picked up Curtis Weaver in the 5th too. That's the first pick of theirs I like (outside of Tua at #5). For all the draft picks they had going in, I have not been impressed.

On the bright side, the Packers haven't made a pick that infuriated me yet today. In other news, the Packers haven't made any picks yet today.
Old 04-25-2020, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet View Post
If it's any consolation, the Packers drafted a guy who shouldn't see the field for 4 years IN THE FIRST FUCKING ROUND and a (quite good) running back when they already have Aaron Jones and Jamaal Williams. Meanwhile, they don't have a legit #2 WR, they have no depth on the O line, and they've completely ignored their mess at LB for years. They passed on starting level CBs, a solid OT in Josh Jones, and let the WR position all but dry up (C'mon Tyler Johnson!!!). But if their QB and two top RBs all get injured, they'll be in a great spot.
Chris Simms had the best line critisizing the pick. (I'm paraphrasing) "The Packers still haven't stopped the 49ers, Those guys are still running."
Old 04-26-2020, 06:34 PM

The Cowboys got an absolute steal in Tyler Biadasz in the fourth at center. He's from my hometown, so the Cowboys fans in my family (my older brother and my nephew) are absolutely jacked up.

But the Packers. What. The. Fork. Were. They. Thinking.
Old 04-27-2020, 11:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
If it's any consolation, the Packers drafted a guy who shouldn't see the field for 4 years IN THE FIRST FUCKING ROUND and a (quite good) running back when they already have Aaron Jones and Jamaal Williams. Meanwhile, they don't have a legit #2 WR, they have no depth on the O line, and they've completely ignored their mess at LB for years. They passed on starting level CBs, a solid OT in Josh Jones, and let the WR position all but dry up (C'mon Tyler Johnson!!!). But if their QB and two top RBs all get injured, they'll be in a great spot.
I'd feel better about dancing on the Packers grave if the Bears weren't such a garbage fire themselves and if I wasn't practically certain that Love will become a guy that destroys the Bears for the next decade. Sure, he was a train wreak most of last year, but if you read what I wrote in my first post, I'm less down on him than you are.

And our luck being what it is and your luck being what it is, it'll probably work out for you. It may also handcuff the team for the next couple years and prevent the Packers from winning a Super Bowl which is nice, but I'm really holding out for that decade long malaise that your team is due for after the loss of a superstar QB.
Old 04-27-2020, 12:05 PM
Charter Member

In other news, the Bears did a few more things that pissed me off on Saturday. First they traded up in the 5th twice, in one case giving away a 2021 4th to the rival Vikings. Seriously. fuck that. None of these guys in the 5th round are such "values" that you can't afford to gamble that they fall to you. So fucking short sighted. I really am mad about that 4th rounder too, those are some of my favorite spots to grab future starters. Seems like a lot of unsexy highly productive guys with minor red flags go in the 4th.

The other thing is they waited until the 7th to address either line, never a great sign, and they did one of my newer pet peeves with drafting: they picked a pair of undersized OTs with a plan to convert them to OGs. I hate, hate, hate this strategy. Good tackles do not usually make good guards, sometimes, but it's by no means a trivial transition. You can argue a 7th round pick is basically no different than a priority free agent and these guys are straight up developmental projects so who cares. But I'd much rather take a 7th round OG and try to develop him into a NFL quality player at his natural position than take a guy who you're immediately asking to learn a new position.
Old 04-27-2020, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omniscient View Post
I'd feel better about dancing on the Packers grave if the Bears weren't such a garbage fire themselves and if I wasn't practically certain that Love will become a guy that destroys the Bears for the next decade. Sure, he was a train wreak most of last year, but if you read what I wrote in my first post, I'm less down on him than you are.

And our luck being what it is and your luck being what it is, it'll probably work out for you.
I don't think it comes down to luck. Obviously the Packers and I disagree about Love's long term developmental possibilities, and, since they know a ton more than I do, I can roll with it.

However, the trading up and the lack of finding weapons for the current team has made it absolutely necessary that Love be great. If Love is just average, the Packers would have mortgaged a potential Super Bowl run to do what so many bad teams do: overdraft a physically talented, but not great QB. Adding a running back in the 2nd and a special teamer/H back in the third just compounded the problems.

The best thing I can say is that the Packers didn't hurt themselves too horribly. They just didn't help themselves when they were in a position to really challenge for a Super Bowl again. This team is only a couple players away, and those players could have been drafted this past weekend. But they weren't. The first few rounds of the draft are where you can find guys like that. And instead of doing that, they drafted a guy who looks good in shorts throwing to other guys in shorts with no defenders in sight. Great.

But, as I said, the Packers are good enough to compete for the Championship already, so they didn't necessarily hurt themselves. Just a huge missed opportunity.

Last edited by Hamlet; 04-27-2020 at 04:51 PM.
Old 04-27-2020, 06:17 PM

The more I think about Love, the more I wonder if Rodgers might have told the Packers that he is seriously considering hanging it up in a year or two. Absolutely nothing substantial except a feeling that started growing in my gut. But he has always been a kind of weird, focused and secretive dude. If anyone was to decide to cash it out as their prime years ended, to not risk brain damage, and just move on to other stuff, Rodgers kinda feels like the dude that might, and certainly might consider it strongly at the least.
Old 04-27-2020, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman View Post
The more I think about Love, the more I wonder if Rodgers might have told the Packers that he is seriously considering hanging it up in a year or two. Absolutely nothing substantial except a feeling that started growing in my gut. But he has always been a kind of weird, focused and secretive dude. If anyone was to decide to cash it out as their prime years ended, to not risk brain damage, and just move on to other stuff, Rodgers kinda feels like the dude that might, and certainly might consider it strongly at the least.
Rodgers re-upped his contract in 2019 and is signed through the 2023 season. He has consistently said he wants to play past 40. And, by most reports, he's pissed about the Packers selecting Love. There is no evidence I've seen that he a) wants out and b) told the Packers that.
Old 04-28-2020, 05:19 PM

After some time digesting the draft and checking out the game tape for some of the new Packers, I've come around on the Packers draft. With this roster, they clearly were more concerned with the future than meeting the perceived immediate needs of the drafting community. Both Aaron Jones and Jamaal Williams are in the last year of their rookie deals and Jones might price himself out, so drafting a RB for next year is wise. Adding depth on the O line with late round grinders means you only have to hit on one for it to be worth it. And once the third round of the draft came around, the odds of finding a WR who is better than the guys on the Packers roster is very unlikely (Hi Tyler Johnson!).

So, instead of the D- grade I would have given this draft for the Packers, I'm moving it up to a D.

It's still such an enormous waste of resources to trade up in the first round for a guy who led the NCAA in interceptions, has so much bad tape out there, and shouldn't see the field for at least 3, more likely 4 years. It's still clearly over-rating the RB position to draft a bruising "3rd down and short" back with limited upside in the 2nd round, especially when Josh Jones, Jonah Jackson, and Julian Okwara were still available. And while versatility is nice, drafting a special teams/TE/H-back who fed on bad teams is still a waste when you want to win a Super Bowl in the next couple years. I'm all for planning for the future, but unless the future includes a throwback to smashmouth running game while all the opposing teams stop trying to run the football against you, this isn't the team and this wasn't the draft to pick these guys.

And, for the rest of the NFC North, I thought the Vikings had a fantastic draft, the Lions did alright, the Bears made one fantastic pick and the rest was a huge meh. I'm a bit concerned.

Last edited by Hamlet; 04-28-2020 at 05:20 PM.
Old 04-28-2020, 05:48 PM

Quote:
And, by most reports, he's pissed about the Packers selecting Love.
This is something I haven't heard. I've heard a lot of talking heads give their opinions on his feelings, but I haven't heard a single, even anonymous "close to Rodgers" source on it. Just Peter King, Chris Collinsworth, and Pat McAfee bleating.
Old 04-28-2020, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisquirrel View Post
This is something I haven't heard. I've heard a lot of talking heads give their opinions on his feelings, but I haven't heard a single, even anonymous "close to Rodgers" source on it. Just Peter King, Chris Collinsworth, and Pat McAfee bleating.
Best tweet I saw said, "I'm sure Rodgers will treat him like family."
Old 04-29-2020, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munch View Post
Best tweet I saw said, "I'm sure Rodgers will treat him like family."
Given that Rodgers has already called him, he's already treating him better than his brother.

Rodgers described this situation best a month ago - "No matter who you bring in, they're not going to be able to beat me out anytime soon."

I think the Love pick is probably a year too early, and trading up to get him hurts my Ted Thompson tendencies of "draft 'em all, let God sort 'em out". But all the "RODGERS HATES LOVE" shit is rumor-mongering and talking out the ass for attention at this point, all brought to you by the same group of people that swore Rodgers and LaFleur were probably going to stab each other before the season started last year. Pardon me if I don't jump to believe hot takers. My guess, assuming the NFL happens, this'll be "pretty fucking quiet" before November. And there will be a new rumor about Aaron Rodgers by April 2021, from the exact same bleaters.

Last edited by Chisquirrel; 04-29-2020 at 03:33 AM. Reason: changed a nut
Old 04-29-2020, 01:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Rodgers re-upped his contract in 2019 and is signed through the 2023 season. He has consistently said he wants to play past 40. And, by most reports, he's pissed about the Packers selecting Love. There is no evidence I've seen that he a) wants out and b) told the Packers that.
I wonder if Rodgers has been thinking about the expanded season and playoffs and realizes there’s a decent chance he’ll be playing even more games as he gets older. That may cause him to want to hang it up earlier.
Old 04-29-2020, 01:46 PM
Charter Member

Rodgers will hang it up when he starts sucking, just like everyone else. Based on the last couple years that may be in 2 or 3 years, but the clock has started on it.
Old 05-04-2020, 05:58 AM
Charter Member

Packers do pick up a WR:
https://spartanswire.usatoday.com/20...ter-nfl-draft/

Brian