Old 04-30-2020, 06:36 PM

International sports in which one nation holds a crushing advantage

The only ones that come to mind are:
  • Men's and women's basketball (USA)
  • Women's soccer (USA)
  • Table tennis (China)

Nations like Brazil wouldn't quite count for men's soccer, because even though Brazil has won the most FIFA soccer World Cups (5,) the Germans and Italians are right behind with 4 apiece and Brazil hasn't won the trophy in eighteen years.

Canada was an Olympic powerhouse in ice hockey recently but that wasn't true dominance; there was still a lot of parity in the sport.

In cricket, Australia has done well of late, but it doesn't count as an utterly lopsided advantage.

What other international sports are there in which one nation just far outclasses all others?
Old 04-30-2020, 06:41 PM
Charter Member

New Zealand (All Blacks) in Rugby?
Old 04-30-2020, 06:44 PM
Charter Member

How are you defining "international sport"? Baseball is popular in lots of places, and most will agree that American teams are much stronger than teams elsewhere, even though they don't generally play each other. Though there are one or two Canadian teams in MLB, so I guess that's technically international competition, and I don't think any of the Canadian MLB teams have been serious contenders in a very long time.

Then there are sports that are in the Olympics, and so international, but played mostly in a single nation, like curling.
Old 04-30-2020, 07:12 PM

New Zealand are the foremost rugby playing nation but they certainly don’t hold a crushing advantage.

It’s not a team sport but the snooker world championship is almost always won by a Brit. Although an Australian has recently topped the world rankings and the Chinese love the sport and are now producing some wonderful players.
Old 04-30-2020, 07:35 PM
Charter Member

South Korea has won the team gold medal in archery every year since it was re-introduced in 1988.
Old 04-30-2020, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
In cricket, Australia has done well of late, but it doesn't count as an utterly lopsided advantage.
The Australian men's team certainly does not dominate, but I think there could be a reasonable argument made for the Australian women's cricket team. They don't always win, but they have a very impressive record.
Old 04-30-2020, 08:15 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
How are you defining "international sport"? Baseball is popular in lots of places, and most will agree that American teams are much stronger than teams elsewhere, even though they don't generally play each other. Though there are one or two Canadian teams in MLB, so I guess that's technically international competition, and I don't think any of the Canadian MLB teams have been serious contenders in a very long time.
But in international play the USA is nowhere near dominant. Japan, Cuba, and the Dominican Republic all field outstanding teams, and Venezuela, Canada and Korea are no slouches. For international play purposes Puerto Rico is independent of the USA and they kick ass too. In the four World Baseball Classics the USA has only won once and twice didn't even make the medal round.

The USA has the most baseball talent, but "Best" isn't "Dominant." "Dominant" means winning almost every time.
Old 04-30-2020, 08:41 PM

Quote:

Then there are sports that are in the Olympics, and so international, but played mostly in a single nation, like curling.

"International sport" defined as, in a nation vs nation international contest event (Olympics, World Cup, etc.)

American MLB teams would dominate against any other nation's baseball-league teams, but in international competition it's not New York Yankees vs. Yomiuri Giants, it's each national roster against national roster.

But - yes - NBA players crush opponents (when playing in Olympics,) but MLB just doesn't send its best players to international play.

Last edited by Velocity; 04-30-2020 at 08:43 PM.
Old 04-30-2020, 09:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
How are you defining "international sport"? Baseball is popular in lots of places, and most will agree that American teams are much stronger than teams elsewhere, even though they don't generally play each other. Though there are one or two Canadian teams in MLB
There's exactly one.
Old 04-30-2020, 09:29 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
and I don't think any of the Canadian MLB teams have been serious contenders in a very long time.
Well, a former Canadian team won the World Series last year, but that doesn't exactly count.
Old 04-30-2020, 09:42 PM

Women's softball was very USA dominant, and I believe one of the reasons it got dropped from the Olympics (not sure how much it even gets played now)

I know China was pretty dominant in diving for a couple Olympic cycles, but I also know that's a sport where one or two superstars can come out with half a dozen medals, so I'm not sure how much of that was institutional dominance and how much was them getting the right couple of people.
Old 04-30-2020, 11:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
Well, a former Canadian team won the World Series last year, but that doesn't exactly count.
No, but I understand that Montreal baseball fans were pretty happy about that.

The 2015 and 2016 Toronto Blue Jays were pretty good, winning the American League East division each year, before losing both years in the ALCS. Since then, the Jays have been a little disappointing, though.
Old 05-01-2020, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiendish Astronaut View Post
New Zealand are the foremost rugby playing nation but they certainly don’t hold a crushing advantage.
NZ have an international record stretching back over 598 games since 1903. They have won 79.1% of their matches. Of the other major rugby union playing nations, the next highest winning percentage is South Africa on 65%.

Since 1st January 2010, New Zealand have won 88.7% of all their matches stretching over 140 games. The average result is 34-15 in their favour. Over the same period, their win percentage at home is 95% over 63 matches.

All figures per Statsguru on scrum.com

I am unsure what a crushing advantage looks like but if it’s not something like this, the bar is very high indeed.

Last edited by Cumbrian; 05-01-2020 at 12:35 AM.
Old 05-01-2020, 12:33 AM

Quote:
I was going to mention curling. Canada has several very good teams, in men's, women's, and mixed doubles, and any of their top teams could go to the World Championships or Olympics and put in a decent performance. But they only send one team in each discipline, and against the best from other countries they haven't been dominating lately. Switzerland has 4 of the last 6 women's champions, and Sweden has 4 of the last 7 for men.
Old 05-01-2020, 03:04 AM

Engeland is dominant in snooker. The Netherlands in speed skating and to some extent field hockey (especially the women). Netherlands is currently dominating cyclocross, although it normally is Belgium.

There are a lot of relatively small sports that are dominated by one country (or maybe a few).

Verstuurd vanaf mijn moto g(6) met Tapatalk
Old 05-01-2020, 03:10 AM

I would suggest Australia and Rugby League fit the criteria.

The international scene is relatively small, with realistically three 'top tier' teams, Australia, New Zealand and England, with a handful of second tier teams, and a whole bunch of minnows.

The Rugby League World Cup is generally played every four years, Australia have won 11 of the 15 played since 1954. and 8 out of 9 since 1975.
Old 05-01-2020, 05:37 AM

Quote:
But - yes - NBA players crush opponents (when playing in Olympics,) but MLB just doesn't send its best players to international play.
There's actually a legal angle to this aspect. In soccer, the world governing body, FIFA, has rules in place which oblige clubs to let their players play in national rosters if the national coach in question calls them up for the team. For the clubs this is a two-edged sword: On the one hand, it's prestigious for the club if some of its players are also in national rosters, and it tends to increase the market value of the player. On the other hand, each game that the player does for the national team carries a risk of injury. The issue is an ongoing bone of contention between clubs and national associations, and there have been legal challenges against this obligation of clubs to release players from an antitrust perspective.

In baseball, the situation is politically different: The national association that runs the national roster, USA Baseball, is too weak to push for a similar obligation that would require MLB teams to release players.
"The banana has certain characteristics, appearance, taste, softness, seedlessness, easy handling, a constant level of production which enable it to satisfy the constant needs of an important section of the population consisting of the very young, the old and the sick."
Old 05-01-2020, 05:46 AM

Lacrosse. Both the USA men's and women's teams have come in 1st or 2nd, the vast majority in 1st, in every lacrosse World Cup ever.
Old 05-01-2020, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumbrian View Post
NZ have an international record stretching back over 598 games since 1903. They have won 79.1% of their matches. Of the other major rugby union playing nations, the next highest winning percentage is South Africa on 65%.

Since 1st January 2010, New Zealand have won 88.7% of all their matches stretching over 140 games. The average result is 34-15 in their favour. Over the same period, their win percentage at home is 95% over 63 matches.

All figures per Statsguru on scrum.com

I am unsure what a crushing advantage looks like but if itís not something like this, the bar is very high indeed.
Of course the bar is set high, I imagine thats why the OP says "crushing" advantage instead of simply just an advantage.

The All Blacks are generally the best side in the world but they are not crushingly dominant, they lose regularly and in last years world cup they were comprehensively beaten by England in the semi-finals.

The All Blacks are first among equals whereas I imagine the OP is talking about sides like the 1992 dream team that were basically untouchable by any other side.
Old 05-01-2020, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketybuck View Post
Of course the bar is set high, I imagine thats why the OP says "crushing" advantage instead of simply just an advantage.

The All Blacks are generally the best side in the world but they are not crushingly dominant, they lose regularly and in last years world cup they were comprehensively beaten by England in the semi-finals.

The All Blacks are first among equals whereas I imagine the OP is talking about sides like the 1992 dream team that were basically untouchable by any other side.
I donít think I can agree. I am well aware that NZ lost in the last World Cup, thatís the only game they have lost in a World Cup since 2007; they even beat the eventual winners in pool play in 2019. Of the 10/11 major nations in World Rugby, they have never lost to Scotland, Argentina and Italy, havenít lost to Wales since 1953, have lost to England 5 or 6 times ever, and so on and so on. They are justifiably favourites in every match up, in any stadium in the world with the possible exception of facing South Africa in South Africa. If theyíre not allowed a bad day at the office ever, despite out scoring the opposition by on average more than double their score for the last decade, then this list will be very short and dominated by niche sports. Which is fine, and probably even interesting, since it will uncover things Iíve never heard of, but, as I say is a very high bar indeed.

If youíre looking for total infallibility, fine. But USA Basketball to most fair minded people does hold a crushing dominance over the field - yet didnít win gold in 2008 and sent a pretty good team to the last FIBA championships and didnít win that either.

I am sure the OP themselves can tell us what they mean and what theyíre looking for.
Old 05-01-2020, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polar bear View Post
Engeland is dominant in snooker.
I think you definitely have to broaden that to the UK. There's a really good geographical spread of dominant players from all parts of the islands over the years.
Old 05-01-2020, 07:58 AM

Fair point!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn moto g(6) met Tapatalk
Old 05-01-2020, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnDC View Post
Lacrosse. Both the USA men's and women's teams have come in 1st or 2nd, the vast majority in 1st, in every lacrosse World Cup ever.
Is lacrosse even contested anywhere else? Canada? I mean, the Irish hurling team would probably be pretty dominant in an international tournament.
Old 05-01-2020, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Scud View Post
Is lacrosse even contested anywhere else? Canada? I mean, the Irish hurling team would probably be pretty dominant in an international tournament.
World Lacrosse has 63 member countries from all across the globe. There has been a men's championship since 1967 (the US has won all but 3, which were all won by Canada), and a women's championship since 1982 (the US has won all but 2, both of which were won by Australia). It's fairly obscure even in North America, and is clearly most popular in "Western" countries, but it is contested fairly widely.
Old 05-01-2020, 09:00 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoons View Post
No, but I understand that Montreal baseball fans were pretty happy about that.

The 2015 and 2016 Toronto Blue Jays were pretty good, winning the American League East division each year, before losing both years in the ALCS. Since then, the Jays have been a little disappointing, though.
The Blue Jays didn't win the division in 2016; the Boston Red Sox did. The Jays settled for a spot in the wild card game, in which they famously beat the Baltimore Orioles in this fashion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONGLEUUesN0

That was fun to post... in the context of the discussion, though, the fact the Blue Jays are based in Canada isn't really "Canadian baseball." Canadian baseball is Canadian players and how they fare in competition against other national teams. Canada is a second tier baseball country; it's pretty good and the Canadian team could on any given day beat any other team, but it's clearly not at the level of the USA, Cuba, Japan, the Dominican, Puerto Rico or Venezuela. Canada is in a class with Taiwan, South Korea, and Mexico. No country would truly dominate any international play.

Canada sends a lot more players to the major leagues than it used to. When I was a kid Canadian players were rare; now there's always a dozen or more kicking around and more have been genuinely first tier stars. In the last 25 years three Canadians have won an MVP Award, something that prior to that never happened once.

I'm honestly not sure why this is, but I think it's two things. First of all, I think youth coaching in Canada has become much more organized and thus objectively better. I've mentioned this before but when I was a kid the coach of a team was just whatever dad had some spare time and a bag of bats; God bless them for their effort but none had ever been taught, or thought to even read a book, on how to teach boys and girls to play baseball. Now I walk by the ball diamonds and every team has 2-3 coaches and they visibly know what they're doing.

Another might be just that major league scouting is more willing to took abroad. After all, even more money is at stake. They're found players from places like Brazil and South Africa that had little baseball tradition at all. Last year the first Peruvian and first Honduran player debuted in the majors.
Old 05-01-2020, 09:00 AM

Quote:
I am sure the OP themselves can tell us what they mean and what they’re looking for.
Yeah, like the others said, I am asking about nations that generally perform roughly equivalent (in their respective sport, no matter how obscure it may be) to Team USA in Olympic basketball.

"Considered default favorite to win gold/championship each tournament" would be a good quick-and-dirty criteria definition.

Last edited by Velocity; 05-01-2020 at 09:02 AM.
Old 05-01-2020, 01:27 PM

Quote:
I don’t think I can agree. I am well aware that NZ lost in the last World Cup, that’s the only game they have lost in a World Cup since 2007; they even beat the eventual winners in pool play in 2019.
I kinda think you are cherry picking facts to suit your argument. The only game lost in a world cup since 2007? Thats impressive, sure, but it actually just means that they won two tournaments in a row. That isn't easy but its certainly possible by any elite side in any sport.

The Patriots reached the Super bowl 4 times in 5 years and won 3 of them, did they have a crushing advantage? Or were they just an elite team in a period of dominance?

The OP can clarify if he wants but already said that Brazil didn't qualify since there were plenty of peers like Germany and Italy able to compete with them. Well if Brazil aren't an example then neither are the all blacks.

Last edited by bucketybuck; 05-01-2020 at 01:28 PM.
Old 05-01-2020, 02:01 PM

Quote:
"International sport" defined as, in a nation vs nation international contest event (Olympics, World Cup, etc.)

American MLB teams would dominate against any other nation's baseball-league teams, but in international competition it's not New York Yankees vs. Yomiuri Giants, it's each national roster against national roster.

Is it even MLB players? Traditionally those national team type things are like rookies or college players, or second-stringers. We don't do dream teams anymore.
Old 05-01-2020, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnDC View Post
That's field lacrosse. In indoor (box) lacrosse, Canada has never lost even a single match in international play.
Old 05-01-2020, 06:29 PM

I'm guessing that no one is going to beat Australia in Aussie Rules Football, or Ireland in hurling, or India in kabbadi, or any other sport that is limited to one or a few countries.

China and Indonesia are very dominant in badminton, especially men's badminton.
Old 05-01-2020, 06:50 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
Is it even MLB players? Traditionally those national team type things are like rookies or college players, or second-stringers. We don't do dream teams anymore.
Not in the recent Olympics. Baseball was re-introduced as a medal-awarding sport in 1992; in '92 and '96, the U.S. only fielded amateurs (mostly college players), then in the next three Olympics, while professional players were allowed, MLB wouldn't allow current major leaguers to play, so the U.S. team was comprised of minor league players.

The lack of MLB players in the Olympics was one of the reasons cited by the IOC for dropping the sport. It's being re-introduced for the 2020 (now 2021) Games in Tokyo, as an "event-based" sport (i.e., it's still not on the "core" list of Olympic sports).
Old 05-01-2020, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketybuck View Post
I kinda think you are cherry picking facts to suit your argument .
Pot meet kettle.

The All Blacks have maintained that level of dominance for over a century not “merely” a purple patch winning 3 titles in 5 years. This is a record not of a preeminence group of players at the peak of their collective powers but over generations.

I would think the All Blacks have been bookies favourite to win every game they have played in my memory for the last 50 years, and likely predating that.

Last edited by penultima thule; 05-01-2020 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Fixed quote
Old 05-01-2020, 07:36 PM
Charter Jays Fan

New Zealand has won three of nine World Cups. Very impressive, but not dominance as the OP as defined it. South Africa's also won three.
Old 05-01-2020, 07:36 PM
Charter Jays Fan

New Zealand has won three of nine World Cups. Very impressive, but not dominance as the OP as defined it. South Africa's also won three.
Old 05-01-2020, 07:54 PM

Olympic snowboarding has been pretty USA-dominated. According to Wikipedia they have 31 medals, with the next closest having 13. Slopestyle and half-pipe in particular always have the American athletes as favorites. That's not a team sport, but the OP didn't really say it had to be...
Old 05-01-2020, 07:54 PM

Well there was that glorious period of 24 years where the All Blacks were clearly the best team on the planet for all but about 6 hours.

24 Years trying to get our hands on Webb Ellis

Quote:
24 years, just waiting for the chance,
We’re thrashing everybody and we go and lose to France
24 years, trying to get our hands on Webb Ellis
Old 05-03-2020, 12:28 AM

The New Zealand discussion made me wonder if the US Women's soccer team would be considered dominant by the same standard.

So... probably. They've won 4 of 8 World Cups and 4 of 6 Olympics. They did, however, finish 5th in the most recent olympics. They've also had periods where they weren't considered the best team in the world. Germany was considered tops for a long period in the early 2000s. That being said, they have a non-winning record against only two teams, Poland and Czechoslovakia. The US only played both countries once in the 80s, to a draw. Among more regular opponents, the worst record is 0.600 against Norway. Even against bigger rivals like Germany or China it's about 0.700.

I suspect this dominance will fade as more European teams put more money into training and coaching, but that's still a ways off.
Old 05-03-2020, 12:42 AM

True, the US women are outstanding and should they maintain that standard for the next century they’ll be on par with the All Blacks.
Old 05-03-2020, 01:24 AM
Elephant Whisperer

For Thailand, it's takraw.
Old 05-03-2020, 09:00 AM

A US team won America's cup sailing from 1851 to 1980. Don't think we will see a streak like that again.
Old 05-04-2020, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoak View Post
I'm guessing that no one is going to beat Australia in Aussie Rules Football,
Only problem is there is no other country playing AFL, so can you call it an international sport? Although having said that from time to time they play an Australia v Ireland match, where they blend the rules of AFL with Gaelic Football.