Old 05-08-2020, 10:09 PM

In what states is interstate migration going to meaningfully effect the political landscape.

Migration within a state is common, people who live in rural areas who lean leftward may move to a large city within the same state.

But when it comes to people moving between states, what all is occurring and how will it affect politics?

Are older white people moving to Florida and making it more conservative? If so, are they also making the states they move away from more liberal (I'm guessing, perhaps wrongly, that a lot of people who move to Florida for retirement come from the northern midwest or northeast)

I've heard lots of people in California are leaving the state due to housing costs. I think a lot settle in the southwest, which can move those states to the left. If they are, CA still keeps moving left while supposedly these migrants are pushing southwest states and texas more purple.

https://www.npr.org/sections/itsallp...-the-west-blue

Do lots of people move between states to settle in the big cities in NC, GA or TX? Is the research triangle area in NC a major destination of people from other states?

Last edited by Wesley Clark; 05-08-2020 at 10:11 PM.
Old 05-08-2020, 10:55 PM
Charter Member

It’s been my theory that this is one of the reasons that WI/PA/MI are getting redder as young and/or college educated people leave the states for jobs and climate reasons. They’re moving to GA/TX/NC for opportunities. WI is a particularly tricky one because you also have bright blue and urban Chicago right across the state line for people to move to and yet remain close to family.

Look at how northern Virginia has now made it a blue state with all the migration to the D.C. suburbs.

Florida is a weird one. It’s definitely getting a lot of retirees who are more conservative, mainly from the Midwest as opposed to the traditional NYC and Boston retirees who voted Dem out of habit.
Old 05-08-2020, 11:01 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
WI is a particularly tricky one because you also have bright blue and urban Chicago right across the state line for people to move to and yet remain close to family.
I'm liberal, I grew up in Wisconsin, and I'm among those who moved to Chicago for work. Similarly, a number of my college friends moved from Wisconsin to the Minneapolis/St. Paul area.
Old 05-08-2020, 11:17 PM

Colorado went from Red to Purple to Blue over the last 20 or so years.
Old 05-08-2020, 11:31 PM

Arizona.

Over 500,000 Californian moved to Arizona over the last 8 years. Plus the increasing number of Hispanics in the population. I don't know if I'd go as far as to call Arizona blue in 2020, but I think it's getting a lot closer.
Old 05-08-2020, 11:43 PM

Arizona.

Over 500,000 Californian moved to Arizona over the last 8 years. Plus the increasing number of Hispanics in the population. I don't know if I'd go as far as to call Arizona blue in 2020, but I think it's getting a lot closer.