Trump 24 13.26%
Democratic Candidate 141 77.90%
Third Party 12 6.63%
No vote 4 2.21%
Voters: 181. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-06-2020, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Borgia View Post
Why not write in yourself, then? You have the exact same chance of winning as Howie, and I'll bet as much as you like him, there's probably some minor differences, but you know you are 100% in line with your own positions.
I would certainly rather write myself in than vote for Biden. At least I know I won't sell us all out to the Republicans like Biden will inevitably do. But I don't have any public support, and wouldn't anyway given I definitely don't think many people would vote for a transgender woman (on either side of the aisle), so it would really be a waste.
Old 05-06-2020, 10:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartAleq View Post

I also will not vote for the person who wrote the Patriot Act. I will not vote for the person who pushed the Crime Bill that resulted in a massive increase in incarceration rates. I will not vote for a person who thinks that a woman's right to choose is not absolute. I will not vote for a segregationist. I will not vote for anyone who voted to begin the Iraq war. I will not vote for a person who is not fullheartedly in favor of Medicare For All, especially not one who declared, this year, that he would veto such a bill if it passed both houses and ended up on his desk if he were president. I will not vote for a person who will stand up in this day and age and call marijuana a "gateway drug."

I hope I've made myself clear enough on this issue that you will refrain from any further limp attempts at vote shaming me.
So, you wont vote for Sen. Daschle, Thomas A. [D-SD] or Republican Rep. Jim Sensenbrenner. (They wrote the Patriot act) Note that everyone voted for that bill, including Sanders. only 3 did not. So, any one who was in Congress in 2001 is thus disqualified by this reasoning. Think about that. Everyone.

Indeed, Biden was a big supporter of the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act, so was Bernie Sanders. He voted Aye. It passed with a big majority.

Abortion? If elected, Biden says he would codify Roe v. Wade into federal law and restore federal funding to Planned Parenthood and other reproductive-care providers for health services other than abortion. He also no longer supports the Hyde Amendment, which bans the use of federal funds for abortion except in cases of rape, incest or life-threatening circumstances.

There are no segregationists running. Biden is not, nor has ever been a segregationist. Biden was Obamas Veep for gawdssake. Trump comes much closer, being a died in the wool racist.

You know, you have to read what Biden said about sanders plan, he didnt actually say he would veto Sanders plan. It isnt like you think, and sanders plan has exactly no chance of ever being passed.

https://www.politifact.com/factcheck...-medicare-all/

And, indeed Biden doesnt "stand up in this day and age and call marijuana a "gateway drug." He dropped that more than a decade ago. Do try to keep up with the times, eh?

As posted earlier:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd
This is the strain of thought that goes, roughly:
A party and a candidate exist to please me personally, and therefore
The party and the candidate must "earn my vote," and therefore
Unless the party and/or the candidate tick off every box on my list of requirements, I will not vote at all.

This is a strain of thought pushed by those who wish to suppress voting.

A vote is not a prize you award to the party or candidate that courts you most eagerly. A vote is a tool you use to get as close as possible to what you want. Declining to vote is throwing away that tool.

A vote is not a valentine; it's a chess move.*

*attributed to Rebecca Solnit.

Wide words.

If I had to guess, IMHO you have been deceived by the GOP and Kremlin into not voting, exactly as they want, and what they have spent millions trying to get people like you to do. Do you want to do what they want?
Old 05-06-2020, 11:18 PM

Howie Hawkins, assuming he's the Green Party candidate. Dario Hunter, if he somehow manages to beat Howie Hawkins in the Green primaries. I will vote for Howie because I think he will make a much better president than either of the corporate party candidates, and because a vote for Howie is a vote towards maintaining the Green Party line in New York.
Old 05-06-2020, 11:19 PM
Suspended

Quote:
I also will not vote for [Biden].
My summary. So you'll accept a man who bragged of multiple sexual assaults and said he wanted to fuck his underage daughter. I find your values curious.
Old 05-06-2020, 11:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boudicca90 View Post
I would certainly rather write myself in than vote for Biden. At least I know I won't sell us all out to the Republicans like Biden will inevitably do. But I don't have any public support, and wouldn't anyway given I definitely don't think many people would vote for a transgender woman (on either side of the aisle), so it would really be a waste.
You do realize that when Trump wins--and he almost certainly will win, thanks in part to people like you--he will be appointing RBG's replacement. How do you think that justice will feel about trans rights?

I'm voting against Trump, but I'm a straight cis white male. I don't even have kids, so I'm not personally affected by climate change. I'll do fine under a Trump administration. I'm only voting against him for people who aren't like me. But fuck it, if they can't hold their nose and vote against Trump, ain't my problem.
Old 05-06-2020, 11:38 PM

Imagine believing Mitch McConnell would ever allow Biden to appoint RBG's replacement.
Old 05-06-2020, 11:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjacks View Post
Imagine believing Mitch McConnell would ever allow Biden to appoint RBG's replacement.
He doesnt have a choice, really. I mean, it's one thing to do it to a lame duck president, but trying it for four years will be a sure way of losing the senate in 2022. And someone will cross the aisle.

In any case, at least the seat wont be filled by another Kavanaugh .
Old 05-06-2020, 11:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
He will allow Trump to appoint her replacement. I'm sure he has suggestions.

And if people on the left extract their heads from their assholes, there's a chance to get the senate as well as the white house.
Old 05-06-2020, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RioRico View Post
My summary. So you'll accept a man who bragged of multiple sexual assaults and said he wanted to fuck his underage daughter. I find your values curious.
Reading comprehension is obviously something you lack. Reread my initial post in this thread. Then read this very slowly: I. WILL. NOT. VOTE. FOR. A. RAPIST.

There, have you figured it out yet or do you need another six months of thinking about it to get it straight?

I love it that this stupid fucking country is an artificially imposed duopoly and that the majority of its citizens are so fucking indoctrinated they literally cannot comprehend anything outside those strictures.
Old 05-07-2020, 12:50 AM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Reading comprehension is obviously something you lack. Reread my initial post in this thread. Then read this very slowly: I. WILL. NOT. VOTE. FOR. A. RAPIST.

There, have you figured it out yet or do you need another six months of thinking about it to get it straight?

I love it that this stupid fucking country is an artificially imposed duopoly and that the majority of its citizens are so fucking indoctrinated they literally cannot comprehend anything outside those strictures.
All political systems are artificially imposed. This is the one we got.

There will only be two candidates come November. No other candidate will even be talked about on election night. You can shrug your shoulders and tell everyone ďitís not my fault i voted for Bill and OpusĒ but thatís not the truth.

Iíll vote for Biden. Iíll vote for any democrat unless the party goes totally insane. Iím not a big fan of everything that either party is for but I wonít vote for Trump. If my state goes for Trump it will mean he won in a Reagan-like landslide. I donít see that happening.
Old 05-07-2020, 10:53 AM
SDSAB

Biden was nowhere near to my top pick among the Dem field, and he has 'waaaay too much baggage for my liking, but he would be much, much better than the incumbent, whom I loathe.
Old 05-07-2020, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Kabong View Post
No choice for '"ham sandwich"?

OK, Dem then.
Ham sandwich? Is that what became of the Yippies' 1968 Presidential candidate Pigasus?

Last edited by TimfromNapa; 05-07-2020 at 03:00 PM. Reason: punctuation error
Old 05-07-2020, 03:03 PM

Quote:
I clicked on Dem but since my California won't go for Putin's puppy I have other options.Maybe Cthulhu. We'll see who's alive come November 2020 - and if the US isn't under martial-law lockdown then. Not this wimpy Shelter In Place stuff but a REAL lockdown with troops in the streets as I've seen elsewhere.
I think Trump is Cthulhu.
Old 05-07-2020, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Quote:
If reading comprehension is at issue, note that you failed to see that RioRico did NOT type 'so you'll vote for a man who bragged of multiple sexual assaults...' What RioRico actually posted was "so you'll ACCEPT a man...." (My emphasis.)

By failing to vote for the Democrat opposing Trump, you are indeed accepting Trump. No matter how you try to read it otherwise.

Attempts to redefine Biden as "a rapist" notwithstanding, the fact is that there simply isn't evidence that such a redefinition is reasonable. Whereas with Trump you know you are supporting--by failing to vote for the only genuine alternative--a self-described assaulter.
Old 05-07-2020, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimfromNapa View Post
I think Trump is Cthulhu.

So we'll have moved onto blood sacrifice by then?
Old 05-07-2020, 06:42 PM

Quote:
I also will not vote for a man who gropes young girls repeatedly and makes them uncomfortable, I will not vote for a man who touches women without their consent, I will not vote for a man who grabs women's hands and restrains them in order to make his point, I will not vote for a man who harassed and badgered a woman who brought sexual harassment charges against a SCOTUS appointee during his confirmation hearings, I will not vote for a man who cannot complete a sentence. All of these behaviors have extensive video and photographic evidence dating back decades.

I also will not vote for the person who wrote the Patriot Act. I will not vote for the person who pushed the Crime Bill that resulted in a massive increase in incarceration rates. I will not vote for a person who thinks that a woman's right to choose is not absolute. I will not vote for a segregationist. I will not vote for anyone who voted to begin the Iraq war. I will not vote for a person who is not fullheartedly in favor of Medicare For All, especially not one who declared, this year, that he would veto such a bill if it passed both houses and ended up on his desk if he were president. I will not vote for a person who will stand up in this day and age and call marijuana a "gateway drug."

I hope I've made myself clear enough on this issue that you will refrain from any further limp attempts at vote shaming me.
I admire your steadfast rectitude. Should we call an EMT when you turn blue from holding your breath, or do you have a DNR on file?
Old 05-08-2020, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
I admire your steadfast rectitude. Should we call an EMT when you turn blue from holding your breath, or do you have a DNR on file?
Oh, c'mon, just own it that you're fine with rape and people who commit it. You defend this guy? Wow. I would have thought that "not being a rapist" would be a low bar to clear and being one would be a disqualifier but here we are. By the way, might want to brush up on your Brockroach Ops manual because you're woefully ineffective in your attempt at dismissing valid concerns regarding the suitability of a candidate to hold high office. That level of turpitude in rape apology is vaguely impressive, although it says way more about you than it does me. Pull up your pants, your ass is showing.
Old 05-08-2020, 12:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
....You defend this guy? ....
That only proves that there was a complaint about some harassment, not by who did it. Same with the phone call. But you see- that evidence disproves her rape charge. Note, when Reade first came out with "Biden sniffed my hair", people generally believed her. But no one cared. So her kremlin handlers had her change it to forcible rape- something never ever even hinted at. And no one believes.

I note you didnt reply to my point by point debunking of your screed earlier.

Last edited by DrDeth; 05-08-2020 at 12:43 AM.
Old 05-08-2020, 01:09 AM
Suspended

The agonizing story of Tara Reade
I started reporting on Tara Readeís story a year ago. Hereís what I found, and where Iím stuck.
By Laura McGann

Quote:
All of this leaves me where no reporter wants to be: mired in the miasma of uncertainty. I wanted to believe Reade when she first came to me, and I worked hard to find the evidence to make certain others would believe her, too. I couldnít find it. None of that means Reade is lying, but it leaves us in the limbo of Me Too: a story that may be true but that we canít prove.
I have not absorbed the details so I render no judgement - but her changing stories hurt her credibility, as do what I've seen of the context of those changes. I do not defend Biden (I was for Bernie in 2016). I also do not believe in guilt without compelling evidence. I *DO* believe the current POTUS is a molester of underage girls, a confessed sexual abuser, a known bribe dispenser, a fraudster and money launderer, a sociopathic liar, and a filthy stinking traitor. I'll produce cites to back my points if you wish.
Old 05-08-2020, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Oh, c'mon, just own it that you're fine with rape and people who commit it. You defend this guy? Wow. I would have thought that "not being a rapist" would be a low bar to clear and being one would be a disqualifier but here we are. By the way, might want to brush up on your Brockroach Ops manual because you're woefully ineffective in your attempt at dismissing valid concerns regarding the suitability of a candidate to hold high office. That level of turpitude in rape apology is vaguely impressive, although it says way more about you than it does me. Pull up your pants, your ass is showing.
I don't want to see rapists holding public office any more than you do. I was merely commenting on your Seussian, "Would not, Could not..." posting style. Seems a touch overwrought given the lack of certainty of Ms. Reade's claims and an abundance of reason to doubt her ever changing testimonies. That said, I take her seriously and await any substantive evidence she can provide for her claims. If so provided, I would expect and insist that Biden drop out of the race immediately.

Last edited by QuickSilver; 05-08-2020 at 07:32 AM.
Old 05-08-2020, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boudicca90 View Post
I'm voting Green this year, as Biden is guaranteed to win California. I hope he beats Trump, but I'm done voting for conservatives and centrists, regardless of what party they belong to. And no, I don't want Biden to beat Trump by a huge margin. I want the election to be close, to show the Dems that even as horrible as Trump is, they need to do way better.
Theyíll never get that message if they havenít already. And they clearly havenít. Most people knew what Trump was before 2016. I certainly did. As long as these two parties have a stranglehold on American electoral politics, theyíll fight tooth and nail for their own status quo. This de facto two-party system needs to go. People act as if it were enshrined in the Constitution. As does the electoral college, (which failed us the one and only time it was needed).
Old 05-08-2020, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
I don't want to see rapists holding public office any more than you do. I was merely commenting on your Seussian, "Would not, Could not..." posting style. Seems a touch overwrought given the lack of certainty of Ms. Reade's claims and an abundance of reason to doubt her ever changing testimonies. That said, I take her seriously and await any substantive evidence she can provide for her claims. If so provided, I would expect and insist that Biden drop out of the race immediately.
The posting style is because every damned time I bring up that I won't vote for Biden I get some clueless moron insisting that this MUST MEAN I'm voting for Trump, completely ignoring me when I say I'm voting third party. Every damned time--this is not the only place on the internet I spend time, not by an order of magnitude, and the sheer weight of these shills with their inept vote shaming behavior is stultifying--just as they intend it to be. So I revert to short declarative sentences to make it harder for them to use their copypasta replies and talking points.

The thing with Biden is that we have decades of his problematical behavior with women right out there on camera. As for Tara Reade in specific, we have about a million times more documentation of her allegation than was present when the Democrats went insane over Dr Blasey-Ford's allegations against Kavanaugh. We have a contemporary recording of her mother on a nationally syndicated show calling in with her concerns regarding her daughter's employment indicating they were so severe that the family was debating going to the press with it. We have sworn testimony in a court case from '96 from Reade's ex husband documenting that her experience with sexual harassment in Biden's office had left her notably traumatized years later. We have statements from the interns she supervised that she was abruptly removed from her duties and fired soon after the incident took place. She spoke to her neighbor about the incident in '95 and explicitly stated that Biden raped her. Biden has refused to open his Senate documents held sealed at the University of Delaware, which seems odd if, in fact as he states the incident "never happened." Never happened means no documentation, right? What's he afraid will come to light? All his mindless sycophant Blue MAGA chuds wiping every reference to #MeToo from their social media accounts right after Reade's accusation came to light was just the diarrhea cherry on the shit sundae.

I simply refuse to go along with this rah-rah team approach to politics in which any behavior from "your guy" is excused while identical behavior from the "other guy" is excoriated. I will not sign on to that kind of hypocrisy. Aside from the moral aspect, Biden offers me literally nothing of what I want from a president. Nothing. His history with sexual harassment, both him personally and what he did to Anita Hill are complete disqualifiers as far as I'm concerned, then we can start on the long list of abhorrent policies he's espoused and upheld over the decades.

Every citizen of this country has the right to vote the way they please and I am simply demanding the same respect as I give--I do NOT tell people how to vote, but I'm more than willing to explain why I will vote the way I do. All this vote shaming and identity politics and meaningless ORANGE MAN BAD RAWR nonsense means literally nothing to me aside from me being absolutely sick of hearing it over and over and over with mindless idiots acting as though A) they thought up these talking points themselves and B) that they're ever so clever and nobody else has ever said these bullshit things before. It's like that fucking stupid dickhead who jumps in on page five of a thread without having read it with that disingenuous "OMG I can't believe nobody's brought up [multiple things that were posted right on the first page]!!ELEVENTY1!!" It's annoying and I get testy.
Old 05-08-2020, 02:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The posting style is because every damned time I bring up that I won't vote for Biden I get some clueless moron insisting that this MUST MEAN I'm voting for Trump, completely ignoring me when I say I'm voting third party.....Every citizen of this country has the right to vote the way they please and I am simply demanding the same respect as I give--I do NOT tell people how to vote, but I'm more than willing to explain why I will vote the way I do..
Well, altho technically you arent voting for trump, you are doing what the GOp and the kremlin wants you to do- not vote for Biden.

You havent responded to my point by point dissection of your "reasons' for not voting Biden. You made this list of why you wouldnt vote for biden- and almost every single point was wrong. Not only that, almost every point was based in russian disinformation. So many Bernie followers have taking the bait the kremlin put out- hook, line and sinker, and cheerfully spread that disinformation over the internet.

So, you wont vote for Sen. Daschle, Thomas A. [D-SD] or Republican Rep. Jim Sensenbrenner. (They wrote the Patriot act) Note that everyone voted for that bill, including Sanders. only 3 did not. So, any one who was in Congress in 2001 is thus disqualified by this reasoning. Think about that. Everyone.

Indeed, Biden was a big supporter of the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act, so was Bernie Sanders. He voted Aye. It passed with a big majority.

Abortion? If elected, Biden says he would codify Roe v. Wade into federal law and restore federal funding to Planned Parenthood and other reproductive-care providers for health services other than abortion. He also no longer supports the Hyde Amendment, which bans the use of federal funds for abortion except in cases of rape, incest or life-threatening circumstances.

There are no segregationists running. Biden is not, nor has ever been a segregationist. Biden was Obamas Veep for gawdssake. Trump comes much closer, being a died in the wool racist.

You know, you have to read what Biden said about sanders plan, he didnt actually say he would veto Sanders plan. It isnt like you think, and sanders plan has exactly no chance of ever being passed.

https://www.politifact.com/factcheck...-medicare-all/

And, indeed Biden doesnt "stand up in this day and age and call marijuana a "gateway drug." He dropped that more than a decade ago. Do try to keep up with the times, eh?

Last edited by DrDeth; 05-08-2020 at 02:21 PM.
Old 05-08-2020, 04:23 PM
Suspended

SmartAleq I'll repeat my comment in #69 upthread: ...her changing stories hurt her credibility, as does what I've seen of the context of those changes. I do not defend Biden (I was for Bernie in 2016). I also do not believe in guilt without compelling evidence. I *DO* believe the current POTUS is a molester of underage girls, a confessed sexual abuser, a known bribe dispenser, a fraudster and money launderer, a sociopathic liar, and a filthy stinking traitor. By rejecting Biden on flimsy grounds with Russian involvement, you accept a monster. Yes, I find your values curious.
Old 05-08-2020, 05:13 PM

SmartAleq lives in Oregon afaict. There is no conceivable way Biden loses Oregon- those blue EC votes are already in the bank. All this pearl clutching about one person's meaningless vote is pointless. Vote-shaming a random person online, who has ultimately been disenfranchised, is what our sham democracy has been reduced to.
Old 05-08-2020, 05:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
SmartAleq lives in Oregon afaict. There is no conceivable way Biden loses Oregon- those blue EC votes are already in the bank. All this pearl clutching about one person's meaningless vote is pointless. Vote-shaming a random person online, who has ultimately been disenfranchised, is what our sham democracy has been reduced to.
He has posted canards about Biden that are demonstrably wrong. While of course, we wont change his mind, others reading this may buy into those wrong factoids. He wont even back down from them in the face of a line by line dissection. So, even tho his vote wont make a difference, the disinformation he is spreading could make a difference.

We dispute misinformation because that is the purpose of thise board- to fight ignorance.
Old 05-08-2020, 05:28 PM
Elephant Whisperer

I too won't vote for a rapist. That's just one of many reasons why I'm voting for Biden.
Old 05-10-2020, 02:11 PM
SDSAB

Biden's polling advantage is the steadiest in a race with an incumbent running since at least 1944: https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/10/polit...ing/index.html
Old 05-11-2020, 04:24 AM

Here we are at the SDMB, haven of rational thought, yet 21% of us plan to vote against the Democratic nominee. Heaven help us.
Old 05-11-2020, 02:59 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
Here we are at the SDMB, haven of rational thought, yet 21% of us plan to vote against the Democratic nominee. Heaven help us.
Old joke.

She: Count to ten.
He: One, two, three, four five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten. Okay?
She: "Mental illness strikes every ten seconds!"
Old 05-11-2020, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
I too won't vote for a rapist. That's just one of many reasons why I'm voting for Biden.
This makes sense, at least on the Biden side. Based on known evidence, we should be skeptical about Reade's sexual assault claim against Biden.

Presumption of innocence is a high value for me. One of the worst things I see in boards like this (and at Trump rallies) is how easily a crowd can be whipped up into believing someone is guilty of the worst crimes.

As for Trump, I know for a fact that he is a terrible misogynist. He did say about a reporter "You could see there was blood coming out of her eyes, blood coming out of her wherever." He did say "ďLook at that face. Would anyone vote for that?" I think those statements are proof concerning Trump's character. Is he a rapist? It's not implausible. But I don't have proof and choose to judge him on his public record, which is more than bad enough.

Last edited by PhillyGuy; 05-11-2020 at 06:23 PM.