Old 05-10-2020, 08:05 AM

2020 GOP nominee if both Trump and Pence are incapacitated?

Kind of inspired by the thread speculating on a Pelosi presidency.

Anyway, would the Republicans go for an establishment figure with a record of competence like Mike DeWine, who's gotten good reviews for his handling of the Covid-19 crisis in Ohio? Would they choose an ideological firebrand like Ted Cruz? Or continue the Trumpism with a populist rabblerouser like Tom Cotton? Would someone else outside of politics come on the scene and take the party by storm?
Old 05-10-2020, 10:32 AM

I think we can take Romney off the list. Probably Rubio or Cruz or Nikki Haley as a wild card. They would pick a woman for VP to match Biden.
Old 05-10-2020, 03:17 PM
Suspended

Lacking Tramp & Pants, GOPs likely wouldn't run a senator because they *need* the Senate. That leaves governors, representatives, or former or current cabinet-level officials. ISTM Nikki Haley is the least toxic of that crowd, but I doubt GOPs could field *anyone* with a chance against Biden... unless serious suppression and ratfucking.

There's always Sarah Palin.
Old 05-10-2020, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RioRico View Post
Lacking Tramp & Pants, GOPs likely wouldn't run a senator because they *need* the Senate. That leaves governors, representatives, or former or current cabinet-level officials.
I’m not sure I’d say Ivanka is “cabinet-level”.
Old 05-10-2020, 04:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
I think we can take Romney off the list. Probably Rubio or Cruz or Nikki Haley as a wild card. They would pick a woman for VP to match Biden.
Why? Have you forgotten who the RNC chair is? They could easily pick Romney and then fight the 2024 battle. Romney will still pick the same judges and sign all the tax cuts.
Old 05-10-2020, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
Why? Have you forgotten who the RNC chair is? They could easily pick Romney and then fight the 2024 battle. Romney will still pick the same judges and sign all the tax cuts.
But, assuming Trump and Pence bite it before the convention, the RNC chair won't pick the nominee. That decision will be made by the 2,550 delegates to the Republican National Convention. Some of these are party apparatchiks who will dutifully vote for whomever the leadership tells them to. But many are wild-eyed Trumpists who hate Romney and feel no particular need to go along with the party's leadership.
Old 05-10-2020, 11:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flurb View Post
But, assuming Trump and Pence bite it before the convention, the RNC chair won't pick the nominee. That decision will be made by the 2,550 delegates to the Republican National Convention. Some of these are party apparatchiks who will dutifully vote for whomever the leadership tells them to. But many are wild-eyed Trumpists who hate Romney and feel no particular need to go along with the party's leadership.
But I have a feeling in a time of COVID, a lot of them will settle for a one term Romney who could get some of those Republicans for Biden voters. And, many of them are Trumpers because of Trump.
Old 05-11-2020, 01:55 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Waldo Pepper View Post
I’m not sure I’d say Ivanka is “cabinet-level”.
I somehow doubt even the most lickspittle GOP toadies would risk Ivanka in combat.
Old 05-11-2020, 07:09 PM

Trumpers will never forgive Romney for voting to convict orange man in the impeachment trial. Utah is still very red outside of SLC but I think someone will try to run against him in the GOP primary assuming he runs in 2024. He will be 77 then so he may decide to be one and done in the senate.