Old 05-08-2020, 03:53 PM

Do you think the public would be told if Trump or Pence tested positive?

I just read that Pence's press secretary has tested positive for Covid 19 (joining a Trump valet in this status). She's apparently asymptomatic. I'm ashamed to admit that my first reaction was to cackle, though I immediately realized that was wrong, and I stopped. I don't wish illness on anyone, but I do hope this news scares the bejeezus out of Pence, Trump, and the toadies and lackeys in their inner circle.

Since both Pence and Trump have been out in public mask-free, it seems like it would be a bit of a PR problem if they tested positive, no? Do you think if either one tested positive but was asymptomatic, we'd ever hear about it?

I'm guessing the only reason the news would be revealed would be if they realized it could not be effectively kept secret. Otherwise, it would be kept secret under the guise of "national security."

Hell, maybe it's already happened.

Last edited by CairoCarol; 05-08-2020 at 03:53 PM.
Old 05-08-2020, 04:07 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Since this involve politics, let's move it to Politics and Elections.

Colibri
Quarantine Zone Moderator
Old 05-08-2020, 04:13 PM

Given that Trump and Pence have both made a big stinking' deal out of why they don't have to wear masks, I think a tiny little cackle is warranted. They're leading by example and they're dangerous.

As far as whether the public would be notified if Pence or Trump gets sick, normally I'd say "yes". With this administration, I'd say Pence, maybe, Trump no. In both cases, I think an official notification would be entirely superfluous, since the entire building would be stampeding to leak the news to the first member of the press they could find.

Last edited by Sunny Daze; 05-08-2020 at 04:17 PM.
Old 05-08-2020, 04:30 PM

If Trump gets Covid, the 25th amendment might finally be invoked.
Old 05-08-2020, 04:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CairoCarol View Post
I just read that Pence's press secretary has tested positive for Covid 19 (joining a Trump valet in this status). She's apparently asymptomatic. I'm ashamed to admit that my first reaction was to cackle, though I immediately realized that was wrong, and I stopped. I don't wish illness on anyone
Oh hell, I wish Trump and Pence would both keel over and die tomorrow.

It's painfully clear that Trump's absence of leadership has caused the death of tens of thousands of Americans already, over and above what had to happen. And it will cause the death of tens, maybe hundreds of thousands more, before next January 20 if, as is to be expected, he serves out the rest of this term. Trump is not going to change: he is not going to become any better of a leader in this crisis than he's already been. The bodies will continue to pile up.

So yes, I wish for him to die. I wish he would have a heart attack on his gold-plated toilet tonight. Pence would be a terrible President, but it's hard to imagine that he'd be as bad at non-managing this crisis as Trump is.

But I could be wrong about that. So ideally they'd both die of the coronavirus quickly and nearly simultaneously, so that there wouldn't be time to nominate and confirm a new veep per the 25th Amendment before they were both dead, and President Pelosi could take the reins.

I don't want people to die. But AFAIAC, Trump is a mass murderer on the loose. He needs to be stopped, and the only way to do that is to remove him from office. He's not going to resign, his Cabinet is not going to invoke the 25th, and the Democrats are too chickenshit to impeach him over the growing pile of American corpses. So if his death is the only way he can be stopped from killing thousands of others, then fuck yeah, I want him to die.
Old 05-08-2020, 05:04 PM
Charter Member

I guess they might try, but I think we'd find out. This isn't North Korea; the president or VP can't just disappear from public events for two weeks without explanation, and too many people would have to know the real reason for it not to leak out.
Old 05-08-2020, 05:06 PM
Charter Member

Oh, and Pence's press secretary who is covid-positive is Stephen Miller's wife. There's a guy who might be more evil than Trump.

I'm rooting for a COVID-19 hat trick here.
Old 05-08-2020, 05:11 PM
Charter Member

I guess they might try, but I think we'd find out. This isn't North Korea; the president or VP can't just disappear from public events for two weeks without explanation, and too many people would have to know the real reason for it not to leak out.
Old 05-08-2020, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CairoCarol View Post
Since both Pence and Trump have been out in public mask-free, it seems like it would be a bit of a PR problem if they tested positive, no? Do you think if either one tested positive but was asymptomatic, we'd ever hear about it?

I'm guessing the only reason the news would be revealed would be if they realized it could not be effectively kept secret. Otherwise, it would be kept secret under the guise of "national security."

Hell, maybe it's already happened.
Just what we need--conspiracy theories.
Old 05-08-2020, 05:34 PM
Charter Member

I was just thinking that this thread needed some contentless drive-bys, and then this last post showed up! Problem solved!
Old 05-08-2020, 05:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Anconia View Post
And such a laughable one, in light of this administration's unbroken record of candor about the president's health and opposition to secrecy, even in matters that could reflect unfavorably upon the president and his chances for reelection. Hide his illness? That's some QAnon-level crazy right there.
Old 05-08-2020, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
Oh, and Pence's press secretary who is covid-positive is Stephen Miller's wife. There's a guy who might be more evil than Trump.

I'm rooting for a COVID-19 hat trick here.
Definitely. Trump is stupid and evil, but Miller is smart and evil. That's worse. He looks like the reincarnation of Goebbels.

Trump has a lotta risk factors.
Old 05-08-2020, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenman View Post
I was just thinking that this thread needed some contentless drive-bys, and then this last post showed up! Problem solved!
What is the point of posting conspiracy theories in QZ, (now moved to P&E)?

Conspiracy theories are usually mocked on this board. But since it's about President Trump, all bets are off.
Old 05-08-2020, 05:54 PM
Charter Member

I literally think you do not understand the plain language definition of conspiracy theory; and instead are confusing it as a synonym for “someone said something that I don’t like.”
Old 05-08-2020, 06:01 PM

Quote:
I literally think you do not understand the plain language definition of conspiracy theory; and instead are confusing it as a synonym for “someone said something that I don’t like.”
You are NOT in a position to judge what another poster understands.
Old 05-08-2020, 06:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
You are NOT in a position to judge what another poster understands.
When you are using a term in a way that is at odds with its meaning, then I think I’m on solid ground to point out an abuse of the English language.
Old 05-08-2020, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Oh hell, I wish Trump and Pence would both keel over and die tomorrow.
If that happens, hello President Pelosi!
Old 05-08-2020, 06:09 PM
Elephant Whisperer

I don't see how it would be possible to keep that under wraps. Someone will leak it, plus how long until the press figures out why all these people in the White House are testing positive? And once it came out that Chump was positive, and they recall him meeting everyone without a mask including all those 90-something WWII veterans yesterday, that's going to be a major shitstorm.
Old 05-08-2020, 06:14 PM

Quote:
When you are using a term in a way that is at odds with its meaning, then I think I’m on solid ground to point out an abuse of the English language.
You are mistaken. "They wouldn't tell us if the President had the virus" is just as silly as the other theories that are routinely debunked on this board. Heck, promulgating some of the said "theories" are banned, by the rules.
Old 05-08-2020, 06:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
I don't see how it would be possible to keep that under wraps. Someone will leak it....
For sure. But let’s remember that Trump’s first instinct is always to lie. Even about ridiculous things that are easily found out, like that comment the other day where he claimed that he never said that COVID wasn’t a big deal, which is of course quickly followed by news clips of him saying a few weeks prior that it is just like a little flu.

That Trump would attempt to lie about something and then be caught in his lie isn’t a crazy idea. It has happened literally thousands - maybe tens of thousands - of times during the last three years.
Old 05-08-2020, 06:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
You are mistaken. "They wouldn't tell us if the President had the virus" is just as silly as the other theories that are routinely debunked on this board. Heck, promulgating some of the said "theories" are banned, by the rules.
Again, you are using the words “conspiracy theory” to mean something they don’t actually mean.

If someone points out an error you are making, doubling down doesn’t prove your point.
Old 05-08-2020, 06:18 PM
Suspended

Whatever Putin tells his puppies, they'll do. Stay unmasked in public to show they don't give a shit who lives or dies? Done. Hide or fake an infection for political purposes? Could be done. Totally undermine faith in government action? Pretty much done. Destroy the US as a functioning society? En route. Tromp and Pants are Good Goys! I mean Boys.
Old 05-08-2020, 06:34 PM

If it were a mild, asymptomatic Covid case for Trump.......maybe.

But if the guy is wheezing on a ventilator in a hospital, no way it can be suppressed news.
Old 05-08-2020, 07:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fretful Porpentine View Post
Right. With Pence it would likely be pretty straightforward, quarantine him at the Observatory, have him do his daily song-of-praise for the boss via Zoom, and report matter of factly about progress. About Don, I agree his instinct would be to demand it not be spoken of and no question about it be answered as long as that were viable, just to retain control of the narrative. But you can't quarantine the President w/o it coming out, not these days(*). And evidently if either of them has to get hauled to Walter Reed, word will get out fast.

*Then after that, again if it were up to him, he'd want daily glowing reports on how he's making the bestest ever recovery and showing amazing healing power, and if he does recover he'd want to make statements that it just was a mild infection and nobody ever officially proved it was the virus, even if the Surgeon General, Dr Brix, Dr. Fauci and himself had all announced it at the start.

Were the situation to be that Trump had to be ventilated while Pence remains asymptomatic, usually it would be a no-brainer to activate the temporary incapacitation provisions of the XXVth. But one wonders if Trump would be willing to sign the "If I get knocked out into sweet oblivion, Mike's in charge until I can again answer who and where I am" note like Reagan and George W did or if he'd leave it to the docs, the cabinet, and the family to get into a loud argument about at what point of incapacitation Pence is automatically Acting Prez.

Last edited by JRDelirious; 05-08-2020 at 07:49 PM.
Old 05-09-2020, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRDelirious View Post
. . . About Don, I agree his instinct would be to demand it not be spoken of and no question about it be answered as long as that were viable, just to retain control of the narrative. But you can't quarantine the President w/o it coming out, not these days(*). And evidently if either of them has to get hauled to Walter Reed, word will get out fast.
Recall that Trump did get hauled off to Walter Reed last November for an unscheduled doctor visit. It was immediately all over the news that this happened. But I don't think it's ever been made public to this day why that happened.

So there's at least some capacity to keep secrets. Still, if Trump or Pence got seriously sick to the point of being hospitalized for more than a few days, that couldn't be kept secret.

ETA: Link: Press Watch: Why was Trump rushed to the hospital? Count on the media to swallow official lies, Dan Froomkin, Salon, Nov. 18, 2019.

Last edited by Senegoid; 05-09-2020 at 12:50 AM.
Old 05-09-2020, 01:46 AM

Quote:
I'm willing to entertain the proposition that "if Trump or Pence tested positive, the public would be immediately informed and it is absurd to speculate that the government would try to keep the test results secret." But I don't think that speculating that such information would be kept under wraps is a conspiracy theory; it's just an observation and prediction about how the current administration likes to handle things.

Here's a pretty good set of definitions for CT, from Dictionary.com:

Quote:
  1. a theory that rejects the standard explanation for an event and instead credits a covert group or organization with carrying out a secret plot:
    One popular conspiracy theory accuses environmentalists of sabotage in last year's mine collapse.
  2. a belief that a particular unexplained event was caused by such a covert group:
    A number of conspiracy theories have already emerged, purporting to explain last week's disappearance of a commercial flight over international waters.
  3. the idea that many important political events or economic and social trends are the products of deceptive plots that are largely unknown to the general public:
    The more I learn about the activities of intelligence agencies, the less far-fetched I find many geopolitical conspiracy theories
Which one of these definitions do you think fits?
Old 05-09-2020, 02:46 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
I guess you are free to report whatever you want, right?
BTW, care to answer the question posed in the OP? I think that not only would Trump hide the fact that he contracted the virus, he and his cronies would start a campaign claiming that there is an evil conspiracy to discredit him by "falsely" claiming that he was infected.
Old 05-09-2020, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Daze View Post
Given that Trump and Pence have both made a big stinking' deal out of why they don't have to wear masks, I think a tiny little cackle is warranted. They're leading by example and they're dangerous.
If they've already got the virus anyway, there's no selfish reason for them to wear masks, right? (It seems fair to stipulate they don't care about infecting others.)

Quote:
... So ideally they'd both die of the coronavirus quickly and nearly simultaneously, so that there wouldn't be time to nominate and confirm a new veep per the 25th Amendment before they were both dead, and President Pelosi could take the reins.
Unlike other Presidential appointees who need only Senate confirmation, a replacement V.P. requires both Senate and House to confirm, IIUC. If the Ds in the House lack the gumption to say No to every V.P. nomination by Trump or Pence, then I give up.
Old 05-09-2020, 02:54 AM

Quote:
If Trump has asymptomatic covid-19, it strikes me as almost certain he would try to keep it secret. YMMV and apparently does.
Old 05-09-2020, 02:57 AM

A positive COVID-19 result isn't something that's easily hidden, especially for a figure as publicly visible as either Trump or Pence. They're grossly incompetent, but even they/their staff are not incompetent enough to try to hide it and risk it being leaked to the public.

They'd rather get out ahead of the story and spin it than let the public get ahold of it through a leak - and they know their administration is about as leak-resistant as a bucket with no bottom. No, I'd see them say something like "Trump heroically weathers the Chinese virus as an example of all Americans to follow" rather than have another embarrassment to deal with. COVID has been a danger zone for Trump approval ratings even among the diehards. Trump may not care about looking like a buffoon to 60% of the population, but when that last 40% starts questioning him, I believe shit gets real.

Edit: If it's asymptomatic, then it's actually even better. "See, I told you it was just the flu. Own the libz!"

Last edited by etasyde; 05-09-2020 at 02:58 AM.
Old 05-09-2020, 03:03 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etasyde View Post
A positive COVID-19 result isn't something that's easily hidden, especially for a figure as publicly visible as either Trump or Pence. They're grossly incompetent, but even they/their staff are not incompetent enough to try to hide it and risk it being leaked to the public.
Are you saying that Trump's medical personnel would be upfront about his health?
Old 05-09-2020, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
Are you saying that Trump's medical personnel would be upfront about his health?
Wouldn't need to. Assuming it's asymptomatic, he's already established he wont be seen wearing masks or doing anything that contain the spread. So either he goes into isolation for two weeks for no apparent reason (which would be the "hard to hide for a visible figure" bit), or he infects... well... everyone around him not just his staff. Someone will leak in either case.

If it's not asymptomatic - and I'm not convinced he's the picture of health - well, it's really hard to hide the president's use of a ventilator. Or even just disappearing for two weeks assuming it's not severe.
Old 05-09-2020, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
We still haven't heard about his real weight or height, so they seem to be good at keeping things under wraps.
Old 05-09-2020, 05:22 AM

No, because Trump wants us to think he is not a human.
Old 05-09-2020, 05:31 AM

Trump has maintained one of the most secretive presidencies in the history of the US. No tax info, not even congressional review and oversight, puts forth a picture of perfect heath though his diet is questionable, and his age and weight would hint otherwise. One of his former doctors IIRC had to lie about Trump's health saying it's perfect. I don't think Trump would admit to it, and just go into hiding for a bit having the best heath care to get him though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasassn View Post
No, because Trump wants us to think he is not a human.
I believe this is part of it, he wants a mythical image of himself divorced from being human. The less we know of his human side the more he appears to be a demigod.
Old 05-09-2020, 06:43 AM

Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if he announces that he's had it already, and his body cured it with the pure power of his incredible health and manliness. In fact, he's had it several times and didn't even notice because it's just a flu, and he's the hardest working President ever so nobody even noticed that he was sick. And all the smartest scientists are going to use his blood to make a cure. And a tough Marine came up to him last night, tears in his eyes, and said, "Sir..."
Old 05-09-2020, 07:17 AM
Charter Member

If there's an announcement that Trump has COVID and the stock market goes up, what would that suggest?
Old 05-10-2020, 03:57 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
If there's an announcement that Trump has COVID and the stock market goes up, what would that suggest?
Sighs of relief.

But try another tack: Some minions (more than one = confirmation) leak to NYT or WaPo that Putin's puppy is a sick puppy or at least has tested positive. Bold headlines ensue. Then the First Traitor undergoes a public test that flashes NEGATIVE and justifies further FAKE NEWS! diversionary rants. Might senior editors suspect such a ploy?
Old 05-10-2020, 09:13 AM

Do you think the public would be told if Trump or Pence tested positive?

No.
Old 05-10-2020, 12:12 PM

He was rushed to the hospital last year, and we still don't know what that was actually about. So, there is zero chance they would be forthcoming about a COVID infection.
Old 05-11-2020, 04:59 AM

It would leak. That team can't keep a secret for anything.
Old 05-11-2020, 06:21 AM
Charter Member

Theory:
Quote:
"They wouldn't tell us if the President had the virus" is just as silly as the other theories that are routinely debunked on this board.
Fact:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveyearlurker View Post
He was rushed to the hospital last year, and we still don't know what that was actually about.
As my grandfather used to say, "another great theory ruined by the facts."
Old 05-11-2020, 09:17 AM
Charter Member

I've been wondering if he's actually being tested. Is there a rapid-result test for COVID that doesn't involve a stick being rammed up the nostrils? Because I can't see him being willing to do that day after day. Maybe they're just checking him for fever or something.
Old 05-11-2020, 10:05 AM

Well, the point is moot, since we all know that Trump is the healthiest person to ever become president. In fact, he’s the healthiest person in history.
He’s so healthy, that he wrote his health report himself.
No virus would dare infect him.

As for Pence - who cares?
Old 05-11-2020, 10:12 AM

I thin they'd keep it secret, lest the spontaneous street celebrations would accelerate the spread of corona.
Old 05-11-2020, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dung Beetle View Post
I've been wondering if he's actually being tested. Is there a rapid-result test for COVID that doesn't involve a stick being rammed up the nostrils? Because I can't see him being willing to do that day after day. Maybe they're just checking him for fever or something.
Yes, and IIRC, Trump and the White House have been enthused about the Abbott Rapid Test, that’s what they’ve been using.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...094_story.html
Old 05-12-2020, 01:12 PM

I wonder if it is medically possible for Trump to get infected by the virus or if it would rather be the other way around. I almost fell sorry for the virus.
As for Pence, who would give a damn except for the technical formalities of succession? Not even lawyers...
When I was younger I could remember anything, whether it had happened or not; but my faculties are decaying now and soon I shall be so I cannot remember any but the things that never happened. It is sad to go to pieces like this but we all have to do it.
Mark Twain
Old 05-13-2020, 07:21 PM

The worst possible thing that could happen is for Trump to get it and be amongst the 80% who are only mildly affected. Literally the last thing we need is him going on TV and talking about how getting the coronavirus is no big deal and others will be just fine like he is.
Old 05-13-2020, 07:39 PM

It is worth pointing out that if either Trump or Pence dies, there will be no new VP. Can you imagine Nancy Pelosi allowing such an appointment to be even considered by the house? No new VPs in the final year of a presidency. And then if the other one dies, you know who will become president--or acting president--whatever.