Old 05-13-2020, 09:07 PM

Unreal Engine is now free to developers until they have earned $1 million from a given product

Epic Games has announced that Unreal Engine will have no license fees and no royalties until something made with their product earns $1 million (not sure how it plays out after that).

Hate on Epic all you want...this is actually a really generous license agreement.

It makes sense too. Get budding game developers to all jump on learning Unreal Engine and they will naturally want to use it down the line as they move into bigger and bigger jobs.

And its not bad either. The Unreal 5 demo running on a PS5 was pretty mind blowing. Both for what the new engine can do and that it does it so well on a console (albeit a next gen console).

I realize that one game engine is not right for all purposes. Still, maybe this will encourage other gem engine developers to follow suit.
"I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid; I meant, that stupid persons are generally Conservative. I believe that to be so obvious and undeniable a fact that I hardly think any hon. Gentleman will question it." ~John Stuart Mill
Old 05-13-2020, 09:22 PM

Unreal engine 4 was free as well. Though the royalty-free earning cap was a lot lower.

From wiki
Quote:
March 2015, Epic released Unreal Engine 4, along with all future updates, for free for all users. In exchange, Epic established a selective royalty schedule, asking for 5% of revenue for products that make more than $3,000 per quarter.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unreal_Engine?wprov=sfla1
Old 05-13-2020, 09:32 PM

wow that's cool but a few years too late for the people that made too human and the last Xmen game that is ok-ish (i own both and keeping them as collector's items lol)

although steams not gonna be happy because of all the crap that's gonna be on it's you can play the game tho its unfinished" page

and you'd be surprised something like 40 percent of the games run on some variant of the unreal engine ....
Old 05-14-2020, 08:36 AM
Charter Member

40% of what games? I'd expect that with all the indie developers out there nowadays, that the majority of games are still sprite-based. In fact, on thinking about it, I think that 7 of the last 10 games I played regularly were sprite-based.
Old 05-14-2020, 08:49 AM

Oh, wow, I remember playing the "Unreal" and "Unreal Tournament" computer games when I was a teenager!
Old 05-14-2020, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshadea View Post
and you'd be surprised something like 40 percent of the games run on some variant of the unreal engine ....
I think you mean Unity. It's super dominant in the mobile and VR markets.
Old 05-14-2020, 10:38 AM

That's both Epic and Unreal.