Old 05-15-2020, 02:55 PM
Isaiah 10:1-3
Charter Member

Yep, 2012. I have the patch from the Kickstarter clipped to a rack next to my computer.

"I participated!"
Old 05-15-2020, 03:45 PM
Charter Member

I don't think I got the patch, and I long ago used up the notepad, but I still have Roy guarding the grocery list on my fridge.
Old 05-15-2020, 04:50 PM
Isaiah 10:1-3
Charter Member

Heck, I still have a few of the stickers left. Belkar and Mr. Scruffy are on my phone case, and the rest of the Order are scattered around my computer desk. Roy is guarding the grocery list on the fridge as well. That was a fun set of stretch rewards.
Old 05-15-2020, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
I don't think I got the patch, and I long ago used up the notepad, but I still have Roy guarding the grocery list on my fridge.
I, too, have Roy guarding my grocery list.

I've recently backed him on Patreon, and the one real benefit of doing that is I get an email when a new strip is posted. (The "rewards" are pretty much, "feel good about supporting this artist".)
Old 05-15-2020, 06:42 PM
Charter Member

A wise lesson for him to have learned, after the kickstarter.

(I think I still have the stickers around somewhere, but I'm not much of a stickering person)
Old 05-25-2020, 09:43 AM

1203: Right Up to the Ledge
Old 05-25-2020, 10:40 AM

Neat. I hadn't considered what the spacing of the doors implied for the layout of the dungeons, before Roy brought it up. I wonder if there is some type of divination magic that can act upon the recent physical proximity of the Go stone to the paladins? Or if it's just meant to reassure the Order, "Yup. They were there at some point."
Old 05-25-2020, 10:47 AM
Charter Member

Do you mean the That stone?
Old 05-25-2020, 11:41 AM

Look at Belkar, tracking stuff. As opposed to before.
Old 05-25-2020, 11:49 AM

He's grown quite a lot. Not just morally.
Old 05-25-2020, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
I guess the party has leveled at least once since Azure City (Elan picked Neutralize Poison as a spell) so Belkar might have actually put a point into Survival. Although I realize that, at this point, AD&D 3.5e is just a suggestion of a framework for the strip and characters gonna do what characters gonna do for story purposes.
Old 05-25-2020, 12:46 PM
Charter Member

He was at least passably competent at tracking in the aftermath of the Battle of Azure City, enough so to spot Monster-San's tracks as "really weird" and to rule out the possibility that they were goblin tracks.
Old 05-25-2020, 01:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
Neat. I hadn't considered what the spacing of the doors implied for the layout of the dungeons, before Roy brought it up.
I realized it when we first saw all the doors, but never bothered to bring it up. I figured either 75% or more of the doors were duds or the dungeons were mostly in the 4th dimension. More likely that Burlew just didn't consider the implications of having all the doors together like that. Didn't think it was worth a conversation, though, since that would be the inevitable conclusion. Someone on the GitP forum probably brought it up and Burlew saw it there, hence Roy's comment. I don't read that forum much anymore.
Old 05-25-2020, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtilque View Post
I realized it when we first saw all the doors, but never bothered to bring it up. I figured either 75% or more of the doors were duds or the dungeons were mostly in the 4th dimension. More likely that Burlew just didn't consider the implications of having all the doors together like that. Didn't think it was worth a conversation, though, since that would be the inevitable conclusion. Someone on the GitP forum probably brought it up and Burlew saw it there, hence Roy's comment. I don't read that forum much anymore.
They do tend to go off in the weeds on this or That (LOL) issue. Usually alignment related. Which usually bores the shit out of me to read. The less Burlew gives them to talk about, the more up their own navels the commentariat discussion tends to go. I only recently restarted participating there, and only because I had a few questions about the plot.
Old 05-25-2020, 01:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
Look at Belkar, tracking stuff. As opposed to before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
I guess the party has leveled at least once since Azure City (Elan picked Neutralize Poison as a spell) so Belkar might have actually put a point into Survival. Although I realize that, at this point, AD&D 3.5e is just a suggestion of a framework for the strip and characters gonna do what characters gonna do for story purposes.
I think Belkar has always been capable of tracking. He just didn't care enough to do it.

He joined the group because he was looking for a place to hide out from the law. Beyond picking up some occasional loot and getting a chance to kill people, he didn't care whether or not the group succeeded in its goals. So he didn't bother to use his skills for a purpose he wasn't interested in.
Old 05-25-2020, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
I think Belkar has always been capable of tracking. He just didn't care enough to do it.
Back when the strip was more "by the books" Belkar makes clear that he has zero ranks in Survival and we know that he also has a very low Wisdom score (both from that strip and early on when V cast Owl's Wisdom on him so he could use a cure wounds scroll).
He was probably less mechanically capable of tracking at that point than Roy (who at least has a decent Wisdom score).
Old 05-25-2020, 02:44 PM
Charter Member

But at the start he was the world's best tracker under 4 feet tall.
Old 05-25-2020, 02:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
They do tend to go off in the weeds on this or That (LOL) issue. Usually alignment related. Which usually bores the shit out of me to read.
This. It seems almost inevitable that the strip discussions devolved into an alignment argument, so I largely stopped reading those unless there was something in the strip I didn't understand. Occasionally, there'd be another thread that seemed interesting, but even those seem to get rarer and rarer.
Old 05-25-2020, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Neat. I hadn't considered what the spacing of the doors implied for the layout of the dungeons, before Roy brought it up. I wonder if there is some type of divination magic that can act upon the recent physical proximity of the Go stone to the paladins? Or if it's just meant to reassure the Order, "Yup. They were there at some point."
Huh. That was the first thing I thought when I saw all the doors, and I wondered what Burlew was going to do with that. I still do.
Old 05-25-2020, 05:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I wonder if there is some type of divination magic that can act upon the recent physical proximity of the Go stone to the paladins?
I hadn't thought of that, but it's a good point. Having a possession or garment of the target gives a bonus to scrying.

Edit - although, how long has it been since O'chul left Gobbotopia? Is he still cloistered?

Last edited by Peter Morris; 05-25-2020 at 05:12 PM.
Old 05-25-2020, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Morris View Post
I hadn't thought of that, but it's a good point. Having a possession or garment of the target gives a bonus to scrying.

Edit - although, how long has it been since O'chul left Gobbotopia? Is he still cloistered?
If the plot requires it, then he will be. It's increasingly my prediction for whatever eventually happens in this comic. Cloister depends on the caster's level, and I don't think anyone has a handle on that for Xykon, other than 'he's got a lot of them, more than 21.'

Can you Scry to another plane?
Old 05-26-2020, 06:00 AM

No comments on the stealthy appearance of Therkla in the flashback?
Old 05-26-2020, 07:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Can you Scry to another plane?
Yes, it's possible, but it's more difficult, and less likely to succeed.

"Furthermore, if the subject is on another plane, it gets a +5 bonus on its Will save. "
Old 05-26-2020, 09:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
No comments on the stealthy appearance of Therkla in the flashback?
Here’s one: It hit me in the feels. Poor Therkla.
Old 05-26-2020, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
Here’s one: It hit me in the feels. Poor Therkla.
It took me a few moments to realize why she was there - she was stalking Elan.

Poor Therkla indeed.
Old 05-26-2020, 12:06 PM

Didn't even notice her in the flashback when I first read the strip. Read some comments about it, thought "There was a ninja in the frame? Where? What are they talking about?" Went back and reread it and saw her.

Hit me in the feels. Her finish to her arc, and Tsukiko's end, has been some of Burlew's best writing, IMHO.

Thanks for the info on Scrying, Peter. So, its possible for V or Durkon to use the Go pebble and maybe get a line on where our plucky duo have ended up.