Old 05-15-2020, 05:05 PM
Charter Member

For those who don't like base building, look into the Sim Settlements set of mods. Your settlers will build autonomously on designated plots, like in SimCity.

I've never been get it to work right, though.
Old 05-15-2020, 09:02 PM
Charter Member

So I took a pathfinder perk that is supposed to make a green trail(I saw it on Youtube) draw a path to my current objective.

I see online that you press "Q" to use it. This is the VATS button for using VATS to target bad guys.

Sometimes, it shows a green path for me. Sometimes, it opens up VATS looking for a target to shoot.

1. How do I force it to show the green path instead of trying to target someone?

2. Can you put the green pathfinder on a separate button?

I liked Clairvoyance in Skyrim, which showed a path like this. I don't totally need it, but I already spent the perk point and kind of want it.
Old 05-16-2020, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
So I took a pathfinder perk that is supposed to make a green trail(I saw it on Youtube) draw a path to my current objective.

I see online that you press "Q" to use it. This is the VATS button for using VATS to target bad guys.

Sometimes, it shows a green path for me. Sometimes, it opens up VATS looking for a target to shoot.

1. How do I force it to show the green path instead of trying to target someone?

2. Can you put the green pathfinder on a separate button?

I liked Clairvoyance in Skyrim, which showed a path like this. I don't totally need it, but I already spent the perk point and kind of want it.
V.A.N.S.? hold down the button, don't push it.

Not really a fan of that perk, it solves some temporary problems but holds you hand a bit too much.
Old 05-25-2020, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelurkinghorror View Post
V.A.N.S.? hold down the button, don't push it.

Not really a fan of that perk, it solves some temporary problems but holds you hand a bit too much.
It's always one of the first perks I take. Sometimes i get turned around in the dungeons and don't want to waste time.
Old 05-27-2020, 08:32 AM
Charter Member

No one asked, but here are my thoughts:

I am disappointed. I don't think Fallout 4 lives up to Fallout 1-3(and New Vegas). I do like the main storyline involving Shaun, but the world is not as interesting for me to walk around and explore. I hate that the dialogue options have been reduced. I added a mod to show the full dialogue of what my guy will say, but it still is too basic and less developed than normal.

I am hard pressed to explain all my disappointments. It's actually a pretty good game. This is no "Phantom Menace" type disappointment. I just don't think it is living up to my experiences with the other main Fallout games.

I am engaged in action sequences a lot more than I remember in the other games, especially the recent Fallout 3 and New Vegas. Meh.

I do not understand why the settlement building is in this games. I was excited to go see Vault 88 because I heard a distress call to go there. I told my wife a lot of the Vaults have cool stories inside about what they were really for. We gain access, go in, and it is....a settlement I can build.

I can not give this game a negative review because it is so well made and is actually good. Most of the time, I am in the Wasteland walking around. I feel like there is less in the world than in previous games. My memory may be skewed, but this game does not feel as cool as 3 and New Vegas.

I like Nick Valentine. Piper is OK.

I would say I am getting too old for this, but I am also playing Skyrim with my kids watching(haven't played Skyrim since 2013) and honestly, Skyrim is as good as I remember...

Last edited by Mahaloth; 05-27-2020 at 08:32 AM.
Old 05-27-2020, 10:00 AM

Quote:
I do not understand why the settlement building is in this games. I was excited to go see Vault 88 because I heard a distress call to go there. I told my wife a lot of the Vaults have cool stories inside about what they were really for. We gain access, go in, and it is....a settlement I can build.
Answer: they added settlement building because it was a popular mod in the previous Fallout game. They just didn't really go far enough with it - it would have been a lot better if you had to specialize the settlements for meaningful perks* & set up supply chains that need to be protected, and had more mission variety, rather than just "rescue settler" or "defend settlement"

*for example: if a colony at the airport could be set up for either supply drops or drone strikes, but not both. And the choice could set up separate mission chains to accomplish the upgrade.
Old 05-27-2020, 10:04 AM

Quote:
No one asked, but here are my thoughts:

I am disappointed. I don't think Fallout 4 lives up to Fallout 1-3(and New Vegas). I do like the main storyline involving Shaun, but the world is not as interesting for me to walk around and explore. I hate that the dialogue options have been reduced. I added a mod to show the full dialogue of what my guy will say, but it still is too basic and less developed than normal.

I am hard pressed to explain all my disappointments. It's actually a pretty good game. This is no "Phantom Menace" type disappointment. I just don't think it is living up to my experiences with the other main Fallout games.

I am engaged in action sequences a lot more than I remember in the other games, especially the recent Fallout 3 and New Vegas. Meh.

I can not give this game a negative review because it is so well made and is actually good. Most of the time, I am in the Wasteland walking around. I feel like there is less in the world than in previous games. My memory may be skewed, but this game does not feel as cool as 3 and New Vegas.

I like Nick Valentine. Piper is OK.

I would say I am getting too old for this, but I am also playing Skyrim with my kids watching(haven't played Skyrim since 2013) and honestly, Skyrim is as good as I remember...
Yeah, I can agree with most of this. It felt more like Skyrim with Fallout clothes (which it was) than it did a Fallout game. Like you, I still enjoyed it but I only finished it once, and didn't play any of the DLC. As opposed to F:NV which I've finished several times including all the DLC.
Old 05-27-2020, 12:21 PM

The weird thing is that I played Skyrim thinking it would be Fallout 4 with elves, but it wasn't. It was kind of crap. The storyline was gibberish, the NPCs were annoying, the settlements felt like movie sets in a bad way, and the side quests never had any link to the story. Other than the lockpicking minigame and some of the control mechanics it didn't feel anything like FO4.

Incidentally, I just got a new gaming laptop and I'm replaying FO3 for the first time in years. Will report back.
Old 05-27-2020, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Really Not All That Bright View Post
The weird thing is that I played Skyrim thinking it would be Fallout 4 with elves, but it wasn't. It was kind of crap. The storyline was gibberish, the NPCs were annoying, the settlements felt like movie sets in a bad way, and the side quests never had any link to the story. Other than the lockpicking minigame and some of the control mechanics it didn't feel anything like FO4.

Incidentally, I just got a new gaming laptop and I'm replaying FO3 for the first time in years. Will report back.
I totally couldn't get in to Skyrim, either.
Old 05-27-2020, 02:09 PM
Charter Member

Here is how I would rank all of the Fallout and Elder Scrolls games. Note: Includes FO4 which I have not even close to finished.

1. Fallout: New Vegas - masterpiece
2. Skyrim - masterpiece
3. Fallout 2 - great game
4. Fallout 3 - great game
5. Morrowind - great game
6. Oblivion - good, but flawed
7. Fallout 4 - good, but flawed
8. Fallout 1 - good, but FO2 really improved things
9. Daggerfall - epic, but honestly a bit of a mess

Maybe if I was from Boston, I would enjoy FO4 more? One thing Vegas and FO3 have going for them is that while I am not from DC or Vegas, I am more familiar with the sights you see in them.

I recognize the baseball field(Diamond City) in Boston, but not much else so far. I'm quite ignorant of Boston. I was there once when I was 12 years old and remember very little.
Old 05-27-2020, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Here is how I would rank all of the Fallout and Elder Scrolls games. Note: Includes FO4 which I have not even close to finished.

2. Skyrim - masterpiece

Maybe if I was from Boston, I would enjoy FO4 more? One thing Vegas and FO3 have going for them is that while I am not from DC or Vegas, I am more familiar with the sights you see in them.

I recognize the baseball field(Diamond City) in Boston, but not much else so far. I'm quite ignorant of Boston. I was there once when I was 12 years old and remember very little.
Haven't played the Elder Scrolls games (have them, just haven't played them) I mostly agree on your rankings of Fallout. I would move F1 up right below F2, though.
Old 06-02-2020, 08:07 PM
Charter Member

I'm further in and have more thoughts. Well, more of a negative experience with progression.

I reached a quest in the main story called "The Molecular Level". I have to get the Courser(Terminator) chip analyzed to figure out how to warp into the Institute. OK, I got it.

Wait. There is no map/compass beacon for me to go to for this mission. Hey, that's OK, maybe I need to play around some more to figure out what to do. I played countless sidequests(I like some of them pretty good*). Nope, still no idea what to do.

I looked it up online. I have to do the Freedom Road quest. Hey, I have that quest in my list of quests, but I didn't realize it was related to the Courser Chip analysis. It sounded neat, but I did not ever pursue it. Note: It also did not have a start point in the compass/map system, so I did not know where to begin it as a (I thought) sidequest.

Turns out you go to Boston Common. I found the Freedom Trail beginning and followed the red line. Struggled a bit keeping with it, but found it. I found the Railroad group and got the chip analyzed.

I know people complain about modern-Skyrim-like-games telling you where to go all the time, but I think at the bare minimum, Fallout 4 should have indicated which quests are "main" and which are sidequests. Beyond that, a start point for a quest is nice to have a compass beacon for.

*I loved the Silver Shroud storyline. I liked the Salem Witch Museum. Others were only OK.
Old 06-02-2020, 09:56 PM

Quote:
I'm further in and have more thoughts. Well, more of a negative experience with progression.

I reached a quest in the main story called "The Molecular Level". I have to get the Courser(Terminator) chip analyzed to figure out how to warp into the Institute. OK, I got it.

Wait. There is no map/compass beacon for me to go to for this mission. Hey, that's OK, maybe I need to play around some more to figure out what to do. I played countless sidequests(I like some of them pretty good*). Nope, still no idea what to do.

I looked it up online. I have to do the Freedom Road quest. Hey, I have that quest in my list of quests, but I didn't realize it was related to the Courser Chip analysis. It sounded neat, but I did not ever pursue it. Note: It also did not have a start point in the compass/map system, so I did not know where to begin it as a (I thought) sidequest.

Turns out you go to Boston Common. I found the Freedom Trail beginning and followed the red line. Struggled a bit keeping with it, but found it. I found the Railroad group and got the chip analyzed.

I know people complain about modern-Skyrim-like-games telling you where to go all the time, but I think at the bare minimum, Fallout 4 should have indicated which quests are "main" and which are sidequests. Beyond that, a start point for a quest is nice to have a compass beacon for.

*I loved the Silver Shroud storyline. I liked the Salem Witch Museum. Others were only OK.
Have you been to Graygarden? The whole place is run by robots.
Old 06-02-2020, 11:10 PM

Quote:

2. Skyrim - masterpiece
I can't completely disagree, solid list. I'd put Morrowind higher as though the gameplay is dated, it's one of the more unique gaming experiences ever.

Fallout 4 "dumbed down" the leveling system and it was mostly for the worse. The only thing I did like is that the earlier games required a bit of looking at guides and such if you wanted the perks that had stat requirements.

Skyrim also dumbed down the leveling system and I think it's mostly for the better. The earlier games had a nonsensical system where to make say the best warrior in the long run, it was better to pick non-warrior skills as in-class skills would level you too fast. Skyrim removed the stats but kept the skills (FO4 did the opposite). I never played Arena but Daggerfall was full of cruft like a skill for Centaurish language or something like that. Plus multiple identical guilds.

I thought the Skyrim main quest and a few others had a pretty good plot, but many of the guild questlines kind of sucked. The Thieves' Guild plot twist was nonsensical. Mage's Guild didn't really require you to actually know magic. The Bard's College seemed completely unfinished.
Quote:
I went for the first time a little after the game came out. That was fun, got to do the Freedom Trail - less rubble IRL. Swan's Pond is much bigger in real Boston.
Old 06-03-2020, 01:02 AM

I also never got the settlement building. It was neat at first to put together all of the stuff and then... it just sits there and generates copy-pasted quests to rescue the person who got kidnapped. There is a ton of stuff and you can spend a ton of time on it, but it doesn't do anything and trying to make a good layout is pretty pointless. It very rapidly became a drag on the game to me.

Liked the game pretty well, but it definitely wasn't a classic like New Vegas. The main plot line has a lot of stuff that doesn't really make sense, and the interaction with Shaun is weird and abrupt. The fact that quests are so linear makes it more of just a game than an RPG to me - notably your dialogue choices almost always boil down to "yes, Tell me more then give me the yes option, yes but I'll be sarcastic or snide, no for now but I'll come back later and say yes".
Old 06-03-2020, 06:57 AM
Charter Member

I am also struck how many raiders and feral ghouls are constantly attacking me. I don't think my memory is incorrect to say that I used to walk around Fallout New Vegas and Fallout 3 without being constantly shot at. I feel like almost everywhere I show up in FO4, there is a group of bad guys shooting at me.

It's just so much more action vs. role playing. :shrugs:
Old 06-03-2020, 07:23 AM

Quote:
I am also struck how many raiders and feral ghouls are constantly attacking me. I don't think my memory is incorrect to say that I used to walk around Fallout New Vegas and Fallout 3 without being constantly shot at. I feel like almost everywhere I show up in FO4, there is a group of bad guys shooting at me.
I'm currently replaying Fallout 3, and it definitely feels like I am constantly being attacked by raiders, animals or (especially in the capital region) super-mutants.

Oddly enough, I prefer Fallout 3 and 4 to Fallout: New Vegas, which I thought was very linear in terms of exploration (Goodsprings -> Primm -> Nipton -> New Vegas) and wasn't as funny. To be fair, I have all of the DLC for 3 and 4 (and none for New Vegas) and I have been to real-life DC and Boston (but not Las Vegas) so maybe it's just me.
Old 06-03-2020, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

I guess. My wife has been watching me play this game and she likely thinks of Fallout as an action series. I keep telling her it isn't, but the game just sends me in to so many shoot-out situations.

I've been playing Skyrim as well and while you do fight a lot, it doesn't feel the same.
Old 06-03-2020, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogarth View Post
Oddly enough, I prefer Fallout 3 and 4 to Fallout: New Vegas, which I thought was very linear in terms of exploration (Goodsprings -> Primm -> Nipton -> New Vegas) and wasn't as funny. To be fair, I have all of the DLC for 3 and 4 (and none for New Vegas) and I have been to real-life DC and Boston (but not Las Vegas) so maybe it's just me.
You can go Goodsprings-Primm-Nipton-New Vegas, but you don't have to by any stretch. You can branch off into side quests really early on and go join up with NCR or Legion quests. Or you can rush to New Vegas early on and skip Primm-Nipton entirely. Also, treating 'New Vegas' as one destination is like treating 'Boston' as one destination in Fallout 4 or 'DC' in Fallout 3, there are a lot of subsections to New Vegas - going and doing the 'fight the raiders' quests for the NCR is pretty distinct from going in to meet Mr House and exploring the casinos, or doing all of the 'slum' area quests.
Old 06-03-2020, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantastic View Post
Or you can rush to New Vegas early on and skip Primm-Nipton entirely.
How do you do that? Isn't there a mountain in the way? (Or maybe deathclaws if you head north from Goodsprings?)
Old 06-03-2020, 12:53 PM

Quote:
How do you do that? Isn't there a mountain in the way? (Or maybe deathclaws if you head north from Goodsprings?)
I managed, once, to go north to NV right out of the gate. If I remember, you have to have a good sneak skill and really thread the needle just right.
Old 06-03-2020, 01:04 PM
Charter Member

On PC, one can use a mod to turn off NV's invisible force fields and head around behind the quarry.
Old 06-03-2020, 01:51 PM

Quote:
You don't literally go in a straight line, but there's several ways to do it. You can go through the path in the northwest, but you've got to do a lot of running and sneaking (and save-load) because it's got cazadores. I've done this route before and it's not hard if you get lucky, but you can end up with critters that you can't avoid. You head to the east and northeast and follow railroad tracks and old highways. You've got to do a decent amount of dodging stuff, but it's not super deadly or luck based, and is something you can poke into without following a script.

This guide has directions for getting into New Vegas Medical Clinic without leveling up at all (so you can have the INT implant for every level):
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/xbox36...s/65292?page=3
Old 06-03-2020, 07:10 PM
Charter Member

I do remember taking a long time to get to New Vegas, but I kind of appreciated it more that way. Fallout 4 took me straight to Diamond City. Neat, but you get right to the main famous area right away.

Then again, I think in Fallout 3, you are right away in some major DC locations. I have been to DC and have fond memories of it.
Old 06-03-2020, 08:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Then again, I think in Fallout 3, you are right away in some major DC locations.
Vault 101 would be very close to the intersection which separates Arlington County addresses between N/S & E/W so, yeah.
Old Yesterday, 02:18 AM

Quote:
I'm currently replaying Fallout 3, and it definitely feels like I am constantly being attacked by raiders, animals or (especially in the capital region) super-mutants.

Old World Blues is both one of the best DLCs in the series and also hilarious.
Old Yesterday, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Agreed. Although I liked all of them except Lonesome Road, and even it wasn't bad, just frustrating and plagued with a touch of a Marty Stu. Better than dreck like The Pitt, or offensive as hell likePoint Lookatthat.
Old Yesterday, 02:44 PM
Charter Member

The main DLC I hated was the one where the poison fog hurt you everywhere you walked. Miserable.

Quote:
Definitely.

Are any of the DLC for FO4 worth it? I have them all.
Old Yesterday, 03:39 PM

Quote:
The main DLC I hated was the one where the poison fog hurt you everywhere you walked. Miserable....
Dead Money is definitely a love it or hate it kind of experience. I'm a pretty deliberative player, so checking and rechecking everything before I moved wasn't that bad. I can easily see why people hated it though.

I'll once again plug the Dust mod for NV. Albeit given it's an alternative future where The Cloud gets into New Vegas, you probably will detest it. Ball-crushingly hard in parts, but fun.

I still need to play 4, LOL. I know the general plot, just never got around to it. Shooting Garvey in the face right off the bat is frowned upon, right?
Old Yesterday, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Are any of the DLC for FO4 worth it? I have them all.
Far Harbor is quite good. Nuka-World was not bad. The design-your-own robot stuff was okay, but not too exciting.
Old Yesterday, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
Dead Money is definitely a love it or hate it kind of experience. I'm a pretty deliberative player, so checking and rechecking everything before I moved wasn't that bad. I can easily see why people hated it though.

I'll once again plug the Dust mod for NV. Albeit given it's an alternative future where The Cloud gets into New Vegas, you probably will detest it. Ball-crushingly hard in parts, but fun.

I still need to play 4, LOL. I know the general plot, just never got around to it. Shooting Garvey in the face right off the bat is frowned upon, right?
Hehe, sadly Garvey is unkillable. So blasting him in the face repeatedly might not be too profound. Besides, he's far less annoying than fucking 3 dog (until he gets falls in love with you and gets real needy) I need to play FO3 again to blast 3 dog in the face.
Old Yesterday, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snfaulkner View Post
Hehe, sadly Garvey is unkillable. So blasting him in the face repeatedly might not be too profound. Besides, he's far less annoying than fucking 3 dog (until he gets falls in love with you and gets real needy) I need to play FO3 again to blast 3 dog in the face.
Fallout with unkillable characters is just so wrong. I've never even played FO4, but I've heard the stories about how he. Will. Not. Stop. Bothering. You.

What idiot thought radiant quests that never turn off were a good idea anyway? My hatred of them comes from Stalker: Clear Sky, where no matter what you did, or how many baddies you killed the last time some faction was squallering for help, invariably they'd start whining again 10 minutes later. I wonder if the designer that came up with that game dynamic, had just had a newborn, and was exorcising their anger at the continual crying by sharing it in some way with the players. Or it was a philosophical metaphor on the inevitability of entropy.

Never killed 3 Dog in FO3. Really, I'm one of the more color-within-the lines players. But players should be able to kill him, or anyone else, in the Fallout games. Just be prepared to take the consequences.
Old Yesterday, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
Fallout with unkillable characters is just so wrong. I've never even played FO4, but I've heard the stories about how he. Will. Not. Stop. Bothering. You.

What idiot thought radiant quests that never turn off were a good idea anyway? My hatred of them comes from Stalker: Clear Sky, where no matter what you did, or how many baddies you killed the last time some faction was squallering for help, invariably they'd start whining again 10 minutes later. I wonder if the designer that came up with that game dynamic, had just had a newborn, and was exorcising their anger at the continual crying by sharing it in some way with the players. Or it was a philosophical metaphor on the inevitability of entropy.

Never killed 3 Dog in FO3. Really, I'm one of the more color-within-the lines players. But players should be able to kill him, or anyone else, in the Fallout games. Just be prepared to take the consequences.
I agree. I would gladly shoot children in the face if allowed. I wanted to wipe out Little Lamplight. Especially Biwwy. Fuck Biwwy! But apparently children are off limits.
Old Yesterday, 07:07 PM
Charter Member

I'm sure there is a mod for that.
Old Yesterday, 07:23 PM

You guys are ruining my life.

Here I got all kinds of games, even went on a buying spree on GOG for old stuff just to make sure I always have something at hand I want to play...and now all I cant think about is starting NV again.