Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 05-13-2020, 07:58 PM
PhillyGuy is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Pennsylvania U.S.A.
Posts: 1,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
And so now we know why Reade is coming up with this now:
I donít think Joe Biden raped.

And I donít think Tara Reade was paid.

And both for the same reason -- character assassination, without proof, in a just society, isnít believed.
  #52  
Old 05-13-2020, 07:59 PM
pjacks is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exapno Mapcase View Post
You do remember that she won the majority, don't you? Or is it that you believe Trump when he says otherwise?
She won a plurality of the popular vote- not a majority.
About 27% of eligible voters.
Against the most depraved, repulsive candidate that a major US political party has ever nominated
  #53  
Old 05-13-2020, 08:26 PM
orcenio is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: NCR
Posts: 2,453
...since the civil war. Social norms allowed people to be pretty depraved the further you go back in time.
  #54  
Old 05-13-2020, 10:14 PM
Exapno Mapcase is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: NY but not NYC
Posts: 32,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjacks View Post
She won a plurality of the popular vote- not a majority.
About 27% of eligible voters.
Against the most depraved, repulsive candidate that a major US political party has ever nominated
So you were smart enough to see Trump for what he was ahead of time. And I was smart enough to see Trump for what he was ahead of time.

But did you really expect the entire country to live up to our high standards?
  #55  
Old 05-13-2020, 10:23 PM
pjacks is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exapno Mapcase View Post
So you were smart enough to see Trump for what he was ahead of time. And I was smart enough to see Trump for what he was ahead of time.



But did you really expect the entire country to live up to our high standards?
I mean... Yeah? Are those really such high standards anyway? Don't vote for a deranged carnival barker for president. Simple.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
  #56  
Old 05-15-2020, 08:29 PM
Manwich is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Japan
Posts: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjacks View Post
Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
Using a laptop hardware here and just a web browser software program.

Trump is surely a type of fuckwit and gruesome and a rich arsehole but the worst president stuff is a bit over the top.

He's started fewer bullshit wars than Bush at least. I think you place too much emphasis on talking nice. Bush had the same shit with people laughing at his silly talk while he did evil.
  #57  
Old 05-15-2020, 08:56 PM
enipla is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Colorado Rockies.
Posts: 15,289
Bush was a moron as well. But he did not try to dismantle the government to save his skin. Nor did he roll back good policy just because he was a racist asshole. I don't remember Bush to be too much of a traitor or extortionist either. Don't know if Bush obstructed justice, but I imagine so. He never admitted to it on national TV though. Not sure if he paid off hookers with campaign money or not.

Shall I go on? It's getting kinda late.
__________________
I don't live in the middle of nowhere, but I can see it from here.
  #58  
Old 05-16-2020, 01:08 AM
Manwich is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Japan
Posts: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by enipla View Post
Bush was a moron as well. But he did not try to dismantle the government to save his skin. Nor did he roll back good policy just because he was a racist asshole. I don't remember Bush to be too much of a traitor or extortionist either. Don't know if Bush obstructed justice, but I imagine so. He never admitted to it on national TV though. Not sure if he paid off hookers with campaign money or not.

Shall I go on? It's getting kinda late.
Iraq war deaths. Afghanistan.
  #59  
Old 05-16-2020, 09:42 PM
Whack-a-Mole's Avatar
Whack-a-Mole is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Chicago, IL USA
Posts: 21,663
Quote:
Originally Posted by enipla View Post
Bush was a moron as well. But he did not try to dismantle the government to save his skin. Nor did he roll back good policy just because he was a racist asshole. I don't remember Bush to be too much of a traitor or extortionist either. Don't know if Bush obstructed justice, but I imagine so. He never admitted to it on national TV though. Not sure if he paid off hookers with campaign money or not.

Shall I go on? It's getting kinda late.
This reminds me of Kaiser Wilhelm (Wilhelm II) who is most responsible for starting WWI (yeah, I know, Gavrilo Princip started it but it was Wilhelm who had the choice to put a pin in it or let it go).

The best thing that ever happened to Willhelm II was Adolph Hitler. When most people are asked about who the biggest boogeyman of the 20th century is it is not Wilhelm then think of....but he really should be top of the list (or at least a very close second).

The same idea applies here. George Bush (the younger) was a colossal disaster as a president. But (lucky for him) Trump happened. So, like Wilhelm, his massively bad time in office will be forgotten in the even worse time in office of Trump. Before Trump I think there was a very good case to be made that Bush was the worst president in US history.

Which is saying something because they are both really, really bad.
__________________
"I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid; I meant, that stupid persons are generally Conservative. I believe that to be so obvious and undeniable a fact that I hardly think any hon. Gentleman will question it." ~John Stuart Mill

Last edited by Whack-a-Mole; 05-16-2020 at 09:44 PM.
  #60  
Old 05-16-2020, 10:48 PM
dalej42 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 16,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whack-a-Mole View Post
This reminds me of Kaiser Wilhelm (Wilhelm II) who is most responsible for starting WWI (yeah, I know, Gavrilo Princip started it but it was Wilhelm who had the choice to put a pin in it or let it go).

The best thing that ever happened to Willhelm II was Adolph Hitler. When most people are asked about who the biggest boogeyman of the 20th century is it is not Wilhelm then think of....but he really should be top of the list (or at least a very close second).

The same idea applies here. George Bush (the younger) was a colossal disaster as a president. But (lucky for him) Trump happened. So, like Wilhelm, his massively bad time in office will be forgotten in the even worse time in office of Trump. Before Trump I think there was a very good case to be made that Bush was the worst president in US history.

Which is saying something because they are both really, really bad.
I’d have a really hard time putting the Kaiser as one of the top 20th century villains. World War I was horrific but it due to the wartime technology and trench warfare, not sadistic tendencies by the Kaiser. There’s plenty of military incompetence by the Germans, French, English and Russians to go around.

Hitler’s genocide was his true evil. I’d put Pol Pot right up there in a list of top 20th century villains along with Milosevic.
__________________
Twitter:@Stardales IG:@Dalej42 He/Him/His

Last edited by dalej42; 05-16-2020 at 10:48 PM.
  #61  
Old 05-16-2020, 10:58 PM
DrDeth is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: San Jose
Posts: 44,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whack-a-Mole View Post
This reminds me of Kaiser Wilhelm (Wilhelm II) who is most responsible for starting WWI (yeah, I know, Gavrilo Princip started it but it was Wilhelm who had the choice to put a pin in it or let it go).
....
Naw, I read The Sleepwalkers. Pretty much they were all evil imperialists* and the blame can be spread evenly.

For example, France paid Serbia a lot to make trouble with AH, in the hopes AH would start a war with Serbia. Meanwhile France had bribed Russia into agreeing that if AH hit serbia, Russia would go to war Vs Germany. France paid for rail lines so that Russia could mobilize vs Germany.

Mind you Willy was a idiot, so he gets blame also.

* Even Belgium. The Belgian Congo was horrific.
  #62  
Old 05-16-2020, 11:58 PM
Whack-a-Mole's Avatar
Whack-a-Mole is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Chicago, IL USA
Posts: 21,663
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
Iíd have a really hard time putting the Kaiser as one of the top 20th century villains. World War I was horrific but it due to the wartime technology and trench warfare, not sadistic tendencies by the Kaiser. Thereís plenty of military incompetence by the Germans, French, English and Russians to go around.

Hitlerís genocide was his true evil. Iíd put Pol Pot right up there in a list of top 20th century villains along with Milosevic.
Wilhelm certainly did not foresee what was to come but it was entirely within his power to stop it all before it started and he chose not to.

Princip was the spark but Wilhelm poured gas on that fire.

And in lots of ways WWI was worse than WWII. Weird to make a comparison like that but know that WWI was horrific in its own right even if WWII overshadows it. I'd argue it was worse than WWII.
__________________
"I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid; I meant, that stupid persons are generally Conservative. I believe that to be so obvious and undeniable a fact that I hardly think any hon. Gentleman will question it." ~John Stuart Mill

Last edited by Whack-a-Mole; 05-17-2020 at 12:02 AM.
  #63  
Old 05-17-2020, 12:21 AM
DrDeth is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: San Jose
Posts: 44,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whack-a-Mole View Post
Wilhelm certainly did not foresee what was to come but it was entirely within his power to stop it all before it started and he chose not to.

Princip was the spark but Wilhelm poured gas on that fire.
....
The French, British and Russians all also could have stopped it. All are culpable.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:11 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2019 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017