Old 05-13-2020, 07:41 AM

Terraria - Journey's End update

Anyone excited about this update, due on 16th May?

https://forums.terraria.org/index.ph...eys-end.87442/

It sounds pretty good - a complete revamp of the game's assets, plus hundreds of new items.

I was excited until I realised (from comments in that forum) that this update applies to the PC version only; any educated guesses as to when console versions will get it?
Old 05-13-2020, 07:46 AM

It looks like it took three years for the 1.3.5 patch to make it to consoles? And that one was much smaller. So I guess don't hold your breath. Pushing updates through to consoles is a notoriously difficult process for cross-platorming small developers, and since this is an end-of-life update they might not bother with the consoles.

Last edited by Johnny Bravo; 05-13-2020 at 07:47 AM.
Old 05-13-2020, 08:14 AM
Charter Member

I have played a ton of Terraria in my day, so will be thrilled to check this out!
Old 05-13-2020, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
It looks like it took three years for the 1.3.5 patch to make it to consoles? And that one was much smaller. So I guess don't hold your breath. Pushing updates through to consoles is a notoriously difficult process for cross-platorming small developers, and since this is an end-of-life update they might not bother with the consoles.
Sad, but likely true. I quite fancied giving Terraria another go, but don't really want to invest that much time, knowing it's not the final version of the game. Bugger!
Old 05-13-2020, 10:53 AM

I can say my wife has been excited about this for... months. Possibly months and months. She's made a world that's organized the trophies of all our previous worlds and sorted out all the artifacts... only to find that the new-style characters probably won't be able to access them.

I've kind-of-secretly enjoyed making engineering/infrastructure projects in the game (like great railways connecting points of signifance, or excessively elaborate deathtraps protecting our borders), so I'm hoping there will be more controllable devices and more circuitry options.
Old 05-13-2020, 01:19 PM
Charter Member

At the time that I wandered away from the game, I had way too much wire stockpiled, with nothing left to use it for. So yeah, more circuitry would be good.

And most of my boss arenas were rail-based. What, you expect me to dodge manually? I'm always dodging!
Old 05-13-2020, 10:56 PM

It's been years since I played but I am looking forward to this and having another go.

And not to ignite a PC is better than console flame war I will say that, by far, the best part of PC gaming are the mods and updates so many games get that you can never experience on a console.

FTR: I have gaming consoles as well as a PC for gaming.
"I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid; I meant, that stupid persons are generally Conservative. I believe that to be so obvious and undeniable a fact that I hardly think any hon. Gentleman will question it." ~John Stuart Mill
Old 05-14-2020, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whack-a-Mole View Post
And not to ignite a PC is better than console flame war I will say that, by far, the best part of PC gaming are the mods and updates so many games get that you can never experience on a console.
While not fully ignited, that comment does make me smoulder with irritation slightly - as a console-owner I have zero interest in modding, but feel I am owed this update as much as my PC brethren. Most importantly, I'm very jealous of them..
Old 05-14-2020, 08:26 AM
Charter Member

Hey, it used to be, if you wanted a mod on a console game, you had to buy an entire new disc, or cartridge. The fundamental difference between consoles and other computers is that consoles are less variable.
Old 05-14-2020, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggerlee View Post
While not fully ignited, that comment does make me smoulder with irritation slightly - as a console-owner I have zero interest in modding, but feel I am owed this update as much as my PC brethren. Most importantly, I'm very jealous of them..
Perhaps you post here from your console or cell phone but most people have a computer these days and Terraria has wonderfully low requirements to run on a PC. It'll run on most things these days.

Open a Steam account and wait for a sale to pick it up cheap.

The first taste is cheap! You won't get hooked. Just one game. Don't worry about it.
"I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid; I meant, that stupid persons are generally Conservative. I believe that to be so obvious and undeniable a fact that I hardly think any hon. Gentleman will question it." ~John Stuart Mill
Old 05-14-2020, 09:30 PM

Quote:
...Terraria has wonderfully low requirements to run on a PC. It'll run on most things these days.
Here are the Terraria System Requirements (Minimum):

- CPU SPEED: 2.0 Ghz
- RAM: 2.5 GB
- VIDEO CARD: 128mb Video Memory, capable of Shader Model 2.0+
- PIXEL SHADER: 2.0
- VERTEX SHADER: 2.0
- FREE DISK SPACE: 200 MB
- DEDICATED VIDEO RAM: 128 MB

I mean...c'mon. It'll run on Windows Vista with a 128MB video card (XP too which is older but better).
Old 05-15-2020, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Perhaps you post here from your console or cell phone but most people have a computer these days and Terraria has wonderfully low requirements to run on a PC. It'll run on most things these days.

Open a Steam account and wait for a sale to pick it up cheap.

The first taste is cheap! You won't get hooked. Just one game. Don't worry about it.
Absolutely; I love Steam, have Rimworld and other games on it, though unfortunately only have it on my wife's laptop, not having developed the brass balls necessary to illicitly install it on my work computer.

But I've already bought Terraria for the PS4. Wikipedia tells me console sales are at 7 million versus 14 million on the PC - so I don't think it's unreasonable to expect this update too. One day..
Old 05-15-2020, 08:09 AM

I'd recommend putting it on your Steam wishlist. The summer sale is coming up and with this being the final update it's pretty likely to go on sale.
Old 05-16-2020, 06:25 PM

Based on Master Mode so far, I am not the Terraria master I remember being.
Old 05-16-2020, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggerlee View Post
But I've already bought Terraria for the PS4. Wikipedia tells me console sales are at 7 million versus 14 million on the PC - so I don't think it's unreasonable to expect this update too. One day..
A Dev has responded regarding this update for the PS4.

The short version is work on this update for the PS4 has not even started yet. He said it is an entirely different team that does this and they have been working on other stuff.

If it ever comes it will not come any time soon.

Sorry.
Old 05-17-2020, 07:50 AM

I am tempted by this, but it has been soooo long since I played, I'm not sure if I remember how to do anything. A couple quick questions for those who have jumped in. Because everything I see seems to direct to a changelog that has been taken down.

I keep reading about thousands of new items, Does that mean new materiel tiers of existing items, or totally new items, and are they functional or mostly decorative for building? Does it need a a new start, or can it integrate into an existing one?