Not Voting/Apathetic/Not eligible but want to vote here 5 2.29%
Undecided 2 0.92%
Voters: 218. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-10-2020, 02:25 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Go, Joe!
Old 05-10-2020, 03:09 PM
Charter Member

My first choice was Harris. When she quit, my second choice was Warren. By the time she quit, that left Biden. OK, then, Biden it is.

Others I might have considered ranking if things had gone differently include Booker, Castro, Gillibrand, Klobuchar, or Williamson. But it never got to that.
Old 05-11-2020, 01:05 AM
Charter Member

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/202...k-him-n1203316
The new spots are part of a pattern by the Trump campaign of hitting Biden on issues where the president is also notably vulnerable, from China to his resume, from nepotism to allegations of sexual assault to verbal blunders.

In some cases, the strategy appears aimed at neutralizing weaknesses by muddying the waters. But it risks backfiring by drawing attention to Trump's equal or larger vulnerabilities. As the coronavirus crisis reshapes the political landscape, the president's campaign is throwing spaghetti at the wall to see what sticks to his rival, who leads in recent national and battleground state polls....The Trump campaign has gone all-in on a portrayal of Biden, 77, as old and mentally deteriorating. Video clips shared online feature Biden mangling his words or losing his train of thought. Trump tweeted in March, "Sleepy Joe doesn’t know where he is, or what he’s doing. Honestly, I don’t think he even knows what office he's running for!"

While age is a real vulnerability for Biden, Trump, who is not much younger at 73, would be better-positioned to capitalize if he didn't have his own history of meandering remarks and verbal blunders, from calling Apple CEO Tim Cook "Tim Apple" to mixing up 9/11 and 7-Eleven to confusing FEMA with the world soccer governing body FIFA.
Old 05-13-2020, 09:09 AM

The Wisconsin Poll is nice to see, Hillary lost Wisconsin. Ohio is disappointing. Hillary lost it, but I think Biden can win it. Emerson is not Right leaning.

Code:
Race/Topic _ _ _ _ _ _   	Poll _ _ _ _ _ _	Results	 ____ __Spread
President Trump Job Approval	Politico/Morning	Approve 42, Disapprove 52	Disapprove +10
President Trump Job Approval	Rasmussen Reports	Approve 47, Disapprove 51	Disapprove +4
President Trump Job Approval	Economist/YouGov	Approve 47, Disapprove 51	Disapprove +4
Wisconsin: Trump vs. Biden	Marquette	Biden 46, Trump 43	Biden +3
Ohio: Trump vs. Biden ______	Emerson ______	Trump 46, Biden 43	Trump +3
Texas: Trump vs. Biden ______	Emerson ______	Trump 47, Biden 41	Trump +6
California: Trump vs. Biden	Emerson ______	Biden 59, Trump 29	Biden +30
President Trump Job Approval	CNN _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 	Approve 46, Disapprove 51	Disapprove +5
President Trump Job Approval	The Hill/HarrisX	Approve 51, Disapprove 49	Approve +2
Old 05-13-2020, 12:06 PM

Trump will win Wisconsin. Just look at last night's special election. A 5 point loss by Tricia Zunker in an ancestral Democratic district would have inspired confidence, but she lost by 15 points. This a district Obama won twice. These people won't be coming back to democrats in November.

Wisconsin, btw, is one of only two states where more people voted for Trump than didn't vote at all. It's a solid red state now.
Or rather, a solid Trump cult state.
Old 05-13-2020, 01:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjacks View Post
Trump will win Wisconsin. Just look at last night's special election. A 5 point loss by Tricia Zunker in an ancestral Democratic district would have inspired confidence, but she lost by 15 points. This a district Obama won twice. These people won't be coming back to democrats in November.
Special elections are good for the Republicans - bad from Dems.

Look at CA 25 special election just held yesterday.
Old 05-13-2020, 01:52 PM

Biden needs to start running a national media campaign in order to stand a chance. A lot of people are home all day watching TV. I see Trump campaign ad after Trump campaign ad on TV. Occasionally, I will see an anti-Trump ad, always by a Republican PAC.

I have not seen a single Biden ad ever. Not today, not this week, not this month, not this YEAR. Every now and then I’ll see one online, usually accompanied by an article that mentions that it hasn’t been “funded” and isn’t running on TV.

It maddening. The Democrats are getting stomped in what should be the easiest election ever. The Trump re-election campaign is very well run and funded, to say the least and they are developing strategies based on gaming to reach that half of the country that doesn’t vote. The Democratic indifference is maddening. Their messaging is non-existent. Their entire strategy seems to be “Trump sucks so we can win without doing anything.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/13/o...&region=Footer
Old 05-13-2020, 01:54 PM
Charter Member

I mean - could you see Obama or Hillary doing nothing during the coronavirus campaign season? The whole world is looking for someone to be the responsible adult in the room, this is a perfect time to show up and demonstrate your leadership. And.......... almost nothing. An awkward interview on a daytime TV show here or there. This is absolute prime campaigning season and a chance to show your leadership and Biden and the democratic party seem to be sitting this one out. Do they even want to win?
Old 05-13-2020, 01:55 PM

Quote:

Wisconsin, btw, is one of only two states where more people voted for Trump than didn't vote at all. It's a solid red state now.
Or rather, a solid Trump cult state.
Special elections are hard to read.

I agree that Wisconsin is no longer a reliably blue state, but it's still within reach, as is Ohio and Iowa. Yes, it's tougher than it was a decade ago, but I think someone like Biden could win in these states, if and when they really begin to sour on Trump.
Old 05-13-2020, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Hedonia View Post
Biden needs to start running a national media campaign in order to stand a chance. A lot of people are home all day watching TV. I see Trump campaign ad after Trump campaign ad on TV. Occasionally, I will see an anti-Trump ad, always by a Republican PAC.

I have not seen a single Biden ad ever. Not today, not this week, not this month, not this YEAR. Every now and then I’ll see one online, usually accompanied by an article that mentions that it hasn’t been “funded” and isn’t running on TV.

It maddening. The Democrats are getting stomped in what should be the easiest election ever. The Trump re-election campaign is very well run and funded, to say the least and they are developing strategies based on gaming to reach that half of the country that doesn’t vote. The Democratic indifference is maddening. Their messaging is non-existent. Their entire strategy seems to be “Trump sucks so we can win without doing anything.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/13/o...&region=Footer
It might be better for Biden to keep ads to a minimum for the time being. It's a sensitive time right now, and he doesn't want to appear to be politicizing a pandemic. There will be time to politicize the response, particularly if Trump continues to fail - and all signs point to only more failure.
Old 05-13-2020, 02:05 PM

I agree that special elections are bad barometers for future electoral results... in normal times.
The Wisconsin special election and the CA special election, which Dems also lost, were the first elections after the coronavirus pandemic reared its ugly head, and the first chance for people to voice their displeasure with the government. A lot of people are stuck at home, so there's not much to do besides go vote or at least fill out a mail-in ballot. These were completely winnable races for Dems, as Trump sits atop a ruined economy and objectively has bungled the national coronavirus response.

Democrats are more concerned about COVID, are less likely to risk leaving their houses to go vote, and live in more densely populated areas than Republicans. This all could erase any electoral advantage the Dems might have in November.
Old 05-13-2020, 03:53 PM

Quote:
I agree that special elections are bad barometers for future electoral results... in normal times.
The Wisconsin special election and the CA special election, which Dems also lost, were the first elections after the coronavirus pandemic reared its ugly head, and the first chance for people to voice their displeasure with the government. A lot of people are stuck at home, so there's not much to do besides go vote or at least fill out a mail-in ballot. These were completely winnable races for Dems, as Trump sits atop a ruined economy and objectively has bungled the national coronavirus response.

Democrats are more concerned about COVID, are less likely to risk leaving their houses to go vote, and live in more densely populated areas than Republicans. This all could erase any electoral advantage the Dems might have in November.
Wisconsin voters showed up to take a Supreme Court seat just over a month ago, which was a big victory. Not enough to tilt the court, but enough to send a message.

The district in CA was just taken by a D in 2018, and unfortunately, she gave it right back with a scandal.
Old 05-13-2020, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorBeef View Post
I mean - could you see Obama or Hillary doing nothing during the coronavirus campaign season? The whole world is looking for someone to be the responsible adult in the room, this is a perfect time to show up and demonstrate your leadership. And.......... almost nothing. An awkward interview on a daytime TV show here or there. This is absolute prime campaigning season and a chance to show your leadership and Biden and the democratic party seem to be sitting this one out. Do they even want to win?
"Do they even want to win?" - that's an excellent question. I'm beginning to think they are sitting this one out. Biden is clearly the lowest energy contender in the party and least likely to beat Trump of anyone from the primary round. They probably figure they can't possibly beat Trump anyway, so why waste a viable future candidate? Biden is taking one for the team while the rest of them regroup and prepare to face Pence in 2024.
Old 05-13-2020, 04:13 PM

I tend to think waiting for a big ad push, at least a big "pro-Biden" ad push, is the right political move. Right now the focus should be on Trump's ongoing failures. And there are ads now highlighting Trump's continuing failures and corruption, from third parties that aren't associated with Biden. The country really isn't in "general election" mode, and I don't think it would welcome general election campaign ads. That will come after the conventions, in the fall.
Old 05-13-2020, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
I tend to think waiting for a big ad push, at least a big "pro-Biden" ad push, is the right political move. Right now the focus should be on Trump's ongoing failures. And there are ads now highlighting Trump's continuing failures and corruption, from third parties that aren't associated with Biden. The country really isn't in "general election" mode, and I don't think it would welcome general election campaign ads. That will come after the conventions, in the fall.
That makes sense to me, too.

Bear in mind that Trump can outspend the Democrats by a huge factor. An April 21 report notes:

Quote:
Biden and the Democratic National Committee could count $57.2 million in the bank while Trump and the Republican National Committee rang in at $244 million in cash on hand, quarterly fundraising numbers show.
https://news.yahoo.com/biden-raise-1...154930770.html

Biden's campaign has to spend wisely, since they can't afford to spend as freely as Trump can.
Old 05-13-2020, 07:57 PM
Charter Member

https://twitter.com/ProjectLincoln/s...sjQUVdPsKHxJbo

It looks like the Moderate Republicans are turning on trump and will vote for Biden.

Powerful ad.
Old 05-14-2020, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
Biden's campaign has to spend wisely, since they can't afford to spend as freely as Trump can.
It's lucky, then, that Trump is providing all the raw material they'll need for Biden's campaign ads.
Old 05-14-2020, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightnin' View Post
It's lucky, then, that Trump is providing all the raw material they'll need for Biden's campaign ads.
Yeah, he can't help himself, can he?
Old 05-16-2020, 11:32 PM
Elephant Whisperer

I think biding their time -- Biden their time? -- adwise is the smart move for the Democrats. Right now, they're giving Chump enough rope to hang himself with, and it looks like it's working.
Old 05-17-2020, 12:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yeah, he can't help himself, can he?
His son just accused Biden of being a pedophile.

https://www.inquisitr.com/6058081/tr...den-pedophile/
Old 05-17-2020, 10:43 AM
Charter Member

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...mp/5182446002/
Old 05-17-2020, 05:47 PM
Elephant Whisperer

State polls suggest Biden has a clear national lead
Old 05-17-2020, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
His son just accused Biden of being a pedophile.
https://www.inquisitr.com/6058081/tr...den-pedophile/
Jake Tapper used part of his State of the Union show to note the ramping up of the Trump team's strategy of smearing opponents:

Quote:
..."The criticism from Obama comes at a time when President Trump and his team are launching an unprecedented smear campaign against any rival."

""Leveling wild and false allegations against critics in the media and political rivals that range from bizarre false conspiracy theories to spreading false allegations of pedophilia to even suggesting one TV anchor committed murder. These smear campaigns are unmoored from reality. They’re deranged and indecent and seem designed to distract from us from this horrific health and economic crisis." ...
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/vi..._indecent.html

It's going to be pretty much "this Democrat is a pedophile" and "that Democrat is an animal-torturer" and "this other Democrat is in the pay of Nigeria" from here until November.

And of course Biden = China, and China "did this to us deliberately" (for any usage of "this").

Trump can't run on the economy, and he can't run on being The Outsider who will Fix Washington.

All he can do is make the entire thing so ugly and disgusting that people stay home instead of even trying to vote. So that's what they're going with.
Old 05-25-2020, 03:48 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Biden has won the Hawaii primary. No surprise there.

Also no surprise: Biden is running ahead of Clinton's 2016 pace
Old 05-25-2020, 04:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

It's going to be pretty much "this Democrat is a pedophile" ....
Can you give me the winning Lotto numbers please?
Old 05-25-2020, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Can you give me the winning Lotto numbers please?
Sadly my powers are limited to the political sphere.

New prediction for today: Trump is going to move the GOP convention to one of his properties, rake in a ton of cash, and fail to express any condolences to those who fall ill two weeks after the festivities.

Also, this week he will double down on the "HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY!!!" scandal by tweeting out "HAPPY HOLOCAUST REMEMBRANCE DAY!!!!", even though it doesn't take place until January 27.
Old 05-25-2020, 06:42 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
New prediction for today: Trump is going to move the GOP convention to one of his properties, rake in a ton of cash, and fail to express any condolences to those who fall ill two weeks after the festivities.
They're just weak.

Last edited by Siam Sam; 05-25-2020 at 06:43 PM.
Old 05-25-2020, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
They're just weak.
Yeah. And probably secretly Democrats.
Old 05-25-2020, 08:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Sadly my powers are limited to the political sphere.

New prediction for today: Trump is going to move the GOP convention to one of his properties, rake in a ton of cash, and fail to express any condolences to those who fall ill two weeks after the festivities......
Damn, well, in Vegas we can bet on those also. I will meet you there tonite, under Vegas Vic, I will be wearing a leek in the label of my lime green poly leisure suit. I will say "The butterfly cries at dawn" you will say "The peonies are tasty tonight".

Today on FB, somebody actually used trump Jr's "joke" claiming Biden was a pedo.
Old 05-26-2020, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Damn, well, in Vegas we can bet on those also. I will meet you there tonite, under Vegas Vic, I will be wearing a leek in the label of my lime green poly leisure suit. I will say "The butterfly cries at dawn" you will say "The peonies are tasty tonight".

Today on FB, somebody actually used trump Jr's "joke" claiming Biden was a pedo.
It's all so easy if you have no shame whatsoever.

As far as the betting in Vegas (and elsewhere) goes, here's an interesting perspective from right after the 2016 presidential election:

Quote:
... While opinion polls went back and forth leading into Britain’s June 23 referendum on whether or not to remain in the EU, betting odds favored the “remain” campaign. Britons voted to leave by 52 percent to 48 percent.

A similar trajectory played out on the online trading platform PredictIt, which was launched in 2014 and is jointly run by Victoria University in Wellington, New Zealand, and Washington-based political consulting firm Aristotle International Inc.

Clinton led Trump in PredictIt’s market on who will win the White House throughout the campaign, but news of her Republican challenger’s surprise momentum sent her chance of winning the election plummeting roughly 75 percentage points from its level Tuesday morning to 5 percent.

Trump’s chance, meanwhile, shot up more than 40 percentage points to around 65 percent.

It was the first time in the entire campaign that Trump had led Clinton on the platform...
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKBN1332A6

Last minute reversals seem to be the rule, rather than the exception....
Old 05-26-2020, 08:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

As far as the betting in Vegas (and elsewhere) goes, here's an interesting perspective from right after the 2016 presidential election:
You didnt show up. However, I got this great deal on a timeshare.....

I will still bet on Biden, but I aint giving no adds- even money.
Old 05-27-2020, 08:43 AM

Race/Topic Poll Results Spread
New York: Trump vs. Biden Siena Biden 57, Trump 32 Biden +25
Utah: Trump vs. Biden KUTV-2/Y2 Analytics* Trump 44, Biden 41 Trump +3

Maryland: Trump vs. Biden Gonzales Research Biden 59, Trump 35 Biden +24

President Trump Job Approval Rasmussen Reports Approve 44, Disapprove 55 Disapprove +11
Minnesota: Trump vs. Biden Star Tribune/Mason-Dixon Biden 49, Trump 44 Biden +5

Utah being that close is nice, that Biden even has a chance says a lot about Trump. Last Time they voted Dem was 1964 for Johnson. The Republican usually wins by a landslide.
Old 05-27-2020, 02:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit? View Post

Utah being that close is nice, that Biden even has a chance says a lot about Trump. Last Time they voted Dem was 1964 for Johnson. The Republican usually wins by a landslide.
If Romney comes out for Biden, Utah may turn on trump. But only for that election. I think the Mormons are getting disgusted with trump.