Old 04-07-2020, 02:09 PM
Doltish Snackhound
Charter Member

Anyone playing Animal Crossing: New Horizon?

I used to love the Game Cube version of Animal Crossing, so I grabbed this one as soon as it was available. I'm playing in a pretty mellow fashion (no time travel, very few trades--I don't want to get caught up in the craziness too much) but I'd love to trade items/catalog/compare turnip prices/etc. with Dopers.

Anyone playing?
Old 04-07-2020, 03:47 PM

I am. I've never played before and have no real idea what I'm doing, but it's good fun and it's a real distraction from current events.

I am probably way behind where one should be given the number of hours I've played. I was actually just coming here to start this very thread.
Old 04-07-2020, 07:05 PM

I recently got a Switch through a corporate rewards program and Animal Crossing is the first game I bought. I'm also taking the slow and steady approach since it just feels like the right way to do it.

Not really digging this egg event. It is making it difficult to catch stuff for my museum.
Old 04-07-2020, 09:34 PM

I'm playing as well (got the game 3/26, I think) and had been waiting for someone to start the thread. I'm not time traveling or terraforming islands, but I think I'm doing well for myself. My house looks like an antique shop from circa 2050 with all sorts of random crap everywhere, but I'm okay with that.

I agree that the egg even isn't great. However, I get most of my bells via fishing with bait, so it's not a big problem for me personally. (I put bullseye stickers on my pier to try and show my sister where to scatter the food and cast her line. She's getting the hang of it enough that she now has a Switch Lite on order so she won't have to play on her daughter's Switch and account.)

My current anthem is a snippet of "Stacy's Mom": AA-G..FG -AGFF. I've thought about posting in Cafe Society to come up with songs that can be played as anthems (all white keys, G below middle C to E above high C, 16 possible notes/holds/rests). Any good ideas, anyone?

I'm willing to be friends with anyone here -- PM me for my Switch code.
Old 04-11-2020, 05:24 PM
Doltish Snackhound
Charter Member

If anyone's interested in trading, I'm looking for anything goth/witchy/spooky, bookshelves, tables, guitars, the blue phone box, and several other things. I have a lot of Bells, or you can catalog some of my items if I have something you want.
Old 04-12-2020, 05:26 AM

I've been viewing a lot of videos of other islands and I feel so inadequate! But I'm still trying to figure this game out.

Do you have to have a Nintendo Membership to get the most out of this game? I've never tried anything except local play so far.
Old 04-12-2020, 09:45 AM
Doltish Snackhound
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by not what you'd expect View Post
I've been viewing a lot of videos of other islands and I feel so inadequate! But I'm still trying to figure this game out.

Do you have to have a Nintendo Membership to get the most out of this game? I've never tried anything except local play so far.
Yes, you'll need a membership if you want to visit other people on their islands (or have them visit yours) and trade or catalog stuff. Catalogging is a really cool idea, where you can pick up something of someone else's, then drop it again and it goes in your Nook catalog so you can buy it on your own island.
Old 04-12-2020, 12:51 PM

Thanks. I'll give that some thought .

I feel almost embarrassed to let anyone see my island. It's only a 3 star. (I feel really dumb even typing that.)
Old 04-12-2020, 09:15 PM
Doltish Snackhound
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by not what you'd expect View Post
Thanks. I'll give that some thought .

I feel almost embarrassed to let anyone see my island. It's only a 3 star. (I feel really dumb even typing that.)
Mine's only a 3-star too. I'm waiting till I get terraforming (which I think is going to happen in the next couple days, since I've got the K. K. Slider concert coming) before I start making big changes.
Old 04-25-2020, 10:20 PM

I've been enjoying it greatly. Seems like just the thing during the Covid crisis. I find it very soothing to play. Been a longtime fan of the series, and I do think this is the best one yet.

PM me for my friend code.
Old 04-26-2020, 12:04 AM

I just got it today, seems super simple but from what Ive read and seen I guess it can get pretty detailed, oh well, I'll see how it goes!
Old 05-16-2020, 03:38 PM

I've been playing since it came out, but I am not terribly far along. I agonize far too much over my island layout. I am really enjoying the game though.
Old 05-17-2020, 04:14 PM

I'm not but my two kids are, they are 12 and 14 and since we have two switches they have the luxury of two islands.
I haven't a clue what's going on but they are absolutely loving it and every now and again the peace of lockdown is punctuated by one or other of them squealing with delight when something adorable happens.

It seems to happen a lot.
Old 05-18-2020, 10:58 AM
Charter Member

I've been playing this series since the Game Cube. I like the little touches that were added for the villager actions, like randomly plopping down under a tree or comparing flowers to an entry in their notebook. The updated (and new) furniture designs are gorgeous too. I'm not sure about the decision to replace some visiting characters with younger ones (could someone please give Daisy Mae a tissue!!), but I don't have any major complaints at the moment. I love being able to decorate the island with all sorts of objects, and I'm looking forward to terraforming. Online play leaves a lot to be desired; I've only tried it a couple of times, and kept getting kicked off. I did succeed in getting all the fruit varieties; I do hope they add more at some point (lychees please!).

I'm still irritated that I was forced to accept the first animal to visit my campsite, and he's been inexplicably showering me with gifts despite my efforts to go out of my way to avoid him.

I've somehow managed to go from a 1-star rating to a 2-star rating, so I guess I'm doing something right.
Old 05-18-2020, 11:29 AM

I need a damn designer. Every time I think I have my layout figured out, something goes wrong.

I'm almost done with my "lakeside community". So now I'm a 4 star island, but I need to do the online thing so I can increase my catalog. I'm getting bored with the same old creatures and fish.

I still feel totally inadequate. I'm glad this game was available during this time though, that's for sure.
Old 05-24-2020, 03:00 PM

Omg, Daisy Mae! Good lord, girl, get some Claritin! Also, I didn't realize she was only there from 5am to noon. I could not figure out why she wasn't coming to my island. Made a point to play first thing this morning, so I'm back in the turnip game.

I have all the fruits and all the flowers, so If anyone is wanting or needing something, hit me up and I can deliver, or you can come get some. I also have some duplicate DIY cards to give away.

My island is a hot mess, but I'm over worrying about what others will think.
Old 05-24-2020, 04:06 PM
Doltish Snackhound
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhiannon8404 View Post
Omg, Daisy Mae! Good lord, girl, get some Claritin!
Right? I can't even look at her. I have to turn her so she's facing away from me when I buy turnips. Ugh!

Quote:
I have all the fruits and all the flowers, so If anyone is wanting or needing something, hit me up and I can deliver, or you can come get some.
You have all the flowers? We're looking for blue ones, if you have any to spare. Black and purple, too. We're terrible flower breeders.

Let me know if there's anything you'd like to catalog. I have a whole bunch of random stuff. Looking for floor lights in any color but blue.
Old 05-24-2020, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infovore View Post
You have all the flowers? We're looking for blue ones, if you have any to spare. Black and purple, too. We're terrible flower breeders.
Oops, let me rephrase, I have all the different types of flowers. I have some of the hybrids, but not yet all. I have plenty of blue hyacinth and pansies. Let me know what you are specifically looking for and I can see if I have it.

I will look out for floor lights. I don't know what I need yet. I am still trying to lay my island out.
Old 05-26-2020, 06:34 PM

I'm curious how easy it is to play. My situation is that I don't even have the console, but I see the Lites are coming to be a bit in stock. I'm wondering if the game, and the controls, are something that could be done at a normal(3 MPH), steady, walking speed on a treadmill at ghome, without too much issue?

Summer weather is starting to make walking outside miserable. And I just have no more interest in anything TV or streaming, I've watched everything. So I'm looking for options to pass the time on the treadmill, as I was considering this as it looks pretty chill to play. Although ~$260 seems like maybe a bit steep for a specific thing like that, if it is the difference between walking and not walking, it's something to consider.

Last edited by wolfman; 05-26-2020 at 06:36 PM.
Old 05-26-2020, 06:52 PM
Doltish Snackhound
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman View Post
I'm curious how easy it is to play. My situation is that I don't even have the console, but I see the Lites are coming to be a bit in stock. I'm wondering if the game, and the controls, are something that could be done at a normal(3 MPH), steady, walking speed on a treadmill at ghome, without too much issue?

Summer weather is starting to make walking outside miserable. And I just have no more interest in anything TV or streaming, I've watched everything. So I'm looking for options to pass the time on the treadmill, as I was considering this as it looks pretty chill to play. Although ~$260 seems like maybe a bit steep for a specific thing like that, if it is the difference between walking and not walking, it's something to consider.
I'd say...maybe. The controls are pretty simple to manage once you get used to them, so I guess it comes down to how good your balance is while walking and holding onto both sides of a relatively small device. You could probably do at least some of the game tasks, but my gut feeling is that a few would be hard to manage because of the twitchy control sticks.
Old 05-27-2020, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhiannon8404 View Post
I have all the fruits and all the flowers, so If anyone is wanting or needing something, hit me up and I can deliver, or you can come get some. I also have some duplicate DIY cards to give away.
I'm looking for fruit! I have oranges, peaches, coconuts, and apples so far. Friend code is SW-1847-2621-2702

Also, if anyone is waiting to sell Turnips, according to online calculators I should have good prices (400ish) tomorrow or Friday. I'll post a dodo code when I do.
Old 05-27-2020, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman View Post
I play while walking on my treadmill all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enalzi View Post
I'm looking for fruit! I have oranges, peaches, coconuts, and apples so far. Friend code is SW-1847-2621-2702

Also, if anyone is waiting to sell Turnips, according to online calculators I should have good prices (400ish) tomorrow or Friday. I'll post a dodo code when I do.
I don't have fruit today (yesterday was fruit day), but I could give you a cherry tree and a pear tree.
Old 05-29-2020, 09:23 AM

If anyone wants to unload turnips, the cranny is buying for 503 until noon central. Code is 43X2V. Follow the wooden path to the store.
Old 05-29-2020, 04:56 PM

Well I ended up getting one much easier than I expected. I asked the same question to a few friends, and an old friend had one. He said his eyes had gotten too bad, so he got upgraded to the classic, play-on the TV one, and it had been sitting around a month or two, and that I was welcome have it to try, and forward gift if it didn't work for me on the treadmill.
He dropped it off, so I'm downloading and trying it out.