Old 05-11-2020, 10:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeegee View Post
That pan is also aluminum.
Wow. It's much thicker and heavier than my other aluminum frying pans, which made me assume it was steel. Sorry for the misinformation.
Old 05-16-2020, 01:39 PM
Charter Member

With the COVID, I have been cooking at home much more a lot of which includes breakfast with eggs. Yesterday I replaced the frying pan as well as the small pot that I use to make rice. I got both of the original items as wedding presents in 1993. The were very nice Caphalon products.

My local Target has a big cookware section but it was nearly as sparse as the toilet paper aisle was last month. I ended up getting a Caphalon pot and a Cuisinart frying pan. I made eggs with the new pan today and basically I was an idiot to not replace the old ones many years ago. The cooking was easier, the heat distribution was better and the clean up was absurdly easier.

This was the thread that nudged me to do it so thank you all. Sometimes my frugality gets the better of me. I'm a wealthy man I can afford a fucking $39 replacement pan.
Old 05-16-2020, 03:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajario View Post
With the COVID, I have been cooking at home much more a lot of which includes breakfast with eggs. Yesterday I replaced the frying pan as well as the small pot that I use to make rice. I got both of the original items as wedding presents in 1993. The were very nice Caphalon products.

My local Target has a big cookware section but it was nearly as sparse as the toilet paper aisle was last month. I ended up getting a Caphalon pot and a Cuisinart frying pan. I made eggs with the new pan today and basically I was an idiot to not replace the old ones many years ago. The cooking was easier, the heat distribution was better and the clean up was absurdly easier.

This was the thread that nudged me to do it so thank you all. Sometimes my frugality gets the better of me. I'm a wealthy man I can afford a fucking $39 replacement pan.
Pedantic nitpick: it's Calphalon.
Old 05-16-2020, 03:45 PM

I have had good luck with Greenpan.
Old 05-16-2020, 05:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
Yes, Chef!
Old 05-17-2020, 12:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
For a long time -- after I had bought my first set -- I thought it was Calaphon. Some years ago, I looked more closely and saw it was the much less euphonious Calphalon, and wondered, When did they change the name of my cookware?
Old 05-17-2020, 12:22 PM

I ran across some videos on Youtube making claims that stainless steel pans can be made non-stick with seasoning, like a cast-iron pan. Anyone have any experience with this?
Old 05-18-2020, 07:12 PM
Charter Member

the wirecutter just reviewed non-stick pans.
Old 05-18-2020, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarinth View Post
the wirecutter just reviewed non-stick pans.
And the winner was a $30 Tramontina, the runner-up a $23 T-Fal. About what I'd expect. Don't buy pricey nonstick.

OTOH, this is nonsense:
Quote:
Rub a small amount of vegetable oil onto the cooking surface while it’s still cold. Nonstick pans need some fat to be effective. Also, some nonstick pans need to be seasoned occasionally with a small amount of oil.
Oil will float above good teflon, and even worse float above your eggs (see: oil/water).

Last edited by squeegee; 05-18-2020 at 08:19 PM.
Old 05-19-2020, 06:16 AM
Charter Member

I've gone three ways with these needs. One is just a lodge cast iron griddle, basically the 10" pan but with tiny sides.

Two is a deBuyer crepe pan. Carbon steel, low sides, lighter than the cast iron.

Three is a two burner flat top from Chef King. 10 gauge carbon steel. Good for doing a bunch of pancakes at once.

They are all nonstick enough to do eggs with just a dash of butter, and all tough enough to leave to my grandkids, if I wind up having any. Teflon pans are essentially disposable, particularly if you intend to use metal utensils.
Old 05-19-2020, 12:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak View Post
Teflon pans are essentially disposable, particularly if you intend to use metal utensils.
But why do you need to use metal utensils? With metal pans I can see that you might need metal utensils to scrape off something stuck to them, but IME that rarely happens with non-stick surface, and plastic tools handle it fine.

In any case, modern non-stick surfaces, like the one I linked to above, are said to be resistant to metal utensils. I can't testify to that, since I don't have any metal utensils to abuse mine with, but it certainly seems much tougher than my older Teflon pans.
Old 05-19-2020, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeegee View Post
And the winner was a $30 Tramontina, the runner-up a $23 T-Fal. About what I'd expect. Don't buy pricey nonstick.
We just bought their top choice, replacing a ~6-year-old (previous Wirecutter pick) T-Fal that was starting to be annoyingly sticky. It's great.

You don't need nonstick for much, but for eggs it's great. Better to buy a new $20-30 pan every 5 years than try to buy an expensive one... which will last about the same amount of time and you'll feel bad throwing away a $100 pan.
Old 05-19-2020, 12:40 PM
Isaiah 10:1-3
Charter Member

So....basically what I said back in Post #2.

Just checking.
Old 05-19-2020, 12:41 PM
Charter Member

Incidentally, I saw a YouTube video the other day of Jacques Pepin preparing a classic French omelet. The amusing thing is watching him use a metal fork on the non-stick pan to move around the egg as it's cooking. Some of the commenters mention this, with one saying, "Teflon doesn’t scratch if you have a French accent."