Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-22-2020, 04:47 PM
Charter Member

Hmm... In other threads I have elaborated that further to that none of us is under any obligation to really "let it ALL hang out", there are some thoughts we really do not need to share and it's for the better for everybody. And specifically in that linked thread I did make reference to that at some point sooner or later in life we learn "I will not mouth off the first thing that comes to my mind" is a useful rule.

Now, though: I do not subscribe to the notion that if you have to stop and question yourself whether what you say will be well received, then it somehow must mean that there is something wrong with it -- some of the comments could be interpreted that way. But neither am I going to walk on eggshells agonizing about constantly second-guessing myself. What I will do is, after deciding if it's necessary/useful to intervene, figure out what is a way by which I can communicate my question, opinion or query in a manner that minimizes conflict potential, aware all the time that (a) there is no way I will ever completely eliminate it and (b) there's always someone who may take it as a crusade and won't want to let go of it.

Of course, there's also issues of time, manner and place. I may word a statement or a reaction one way or another, or may choose to either go deep-dive or remain casual about it, about the same theme, depending if I'm getting in the middle of a heavy debate in GD, lighthearted banter in MPSIMS, or a vicious pile-on in the Pit, and I would expect those also involved to understand that.

Last edited by JRDelirious; 05-22-2020 at 04:48 PM.