Old 04-16-2020, 09:14 PM

I see undead people!
(Sorry, had to get the obvious out of the way.)
Old 04-16-2020, 09:18 PM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
And also loved the new clues about Colin--one in each of last night's two episodes. The Colin back-story is a slow-burning fuse.....
Yeah looks like he's a modern day person. What are the clues you saw? (I am terrible at watching closely)
Old 04-17-2020, 02:32 AM

Quote:
And what of his twin brother? They've been teasing that (as part of the show's opening graphics) since the beginning.
Is that supposed to be a twin or one of those bad 80s/90s dual headshot photos?

Last edited by thelurkinghorror; 04-17-2020 at 02:33 AM.
Old 04-17-2020, 07:30 AM
Charter Member

Too much updog.
Old 04-17-2020, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipperJJ View Post
Yeah looks like he's a modern day person. What are the clues you saw? (I am terrible at watching closely)
The only one I recall, is Colin isn't even sure about his origin. He doesn't think he died. Interesting his grandmother didn't seem to be from far enough back in time, I think the opening credits show Colin looking like Colin for over 100 years.
Old 04-17-2020, 09:04 AM

Remember Colin when he was in Better Call Saul? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmk6...ature=youtu.be
Old 04-17-2020, 09:27 AM
Charter Member

Holy crap! I would never have identified Topher as Haley Joel Osment! Good job on that.
Old 04-17-2020, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
Holy crap! I would never have identified Topher as Haley Joel Osment! Good job on that.
It was easy for me because Adult HJO was already familiar to me from Future Man.
Old 04-17-2020, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
It was easy for me because Adult HJO was already familiar to me from Future Man.
For me, I had just seen him on The Boys.
Old 04-17-2020, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit? View Post
The only one I recall, is Colin isn't even sure about his origin. He doesn't think he died. Interesting his grandmother didn't seem to be from far enough back in time, I think the opening credits show Colin looking like Colin for over 100 years.
Hmm, maybe Colin's grandmother was also an energy vampire and she only died a few decades ago. Or the writers could just be messing with us.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old 04-17-2020, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipperJJ View Post
Quote:
Yes, What Exit?, that was one of the clues I was talking about. The other is that Topher was, apparently, immune to Colin's power. Before this we've seen Colin successfully drain not only humans, but vampires. The only time he's been anything other than completely ascendant in every situation is when he met another energy vampire (played by Vanessa Bayer).

So I was seeing Topher's immunity, as well as Colin's lack of knowledge of his own origin, as a potential clue that Colin may have a bigger role in the direction the show's overall plot is going. (I hope so, as I love that character. We shall see....)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelurkinghorror View Post
Is that supposed to be a twin or one of those bad 80s/90s dual headshot photos?
You could be right.

But '80s/90s dual headshot photos' are a VERY specific cultural artifact---one that many viewers might not know about.

Also, if Guillermo was about 10 in 1990, then he'd be about 40 now. The actor who plays him is a decade younger.

It's an interesting idea, but because of these other factors, IF they're not implying that Guillermo has a twin, they're not playing fair (in my opinion, anyway). Another 'we shall see'....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dung Beetle View Post
Too much updog.
Updoc, wasn't it? For the obvious joke when someone asks 'what's updoc?'.....
Old 04-17-2020, 07:01 PM

Quote:
For me, I had just seen him on The Boys.
He did a Silicon Valley, too.
Old 04-17-2020, 07:46 PM

Quote:
1.) So I was seeing Topher's immunity, as well as Colin's lack of knowledge of his own origin, as a potential clue that Colin may have a bigger role in the direction the show's overall plot is going.

2.) But '80s/90s dual headshot photos' are a VERY specific cultural artifact---one that many viewers might not know about.

3.) Updoc, wasn't it? For the obvious joke when someone asks 'what's updoc?'.....
1.) I saw it as two jokes--a.) Topher was so aggressively positive that nothing could get him down and b.) A "leaning on the 4th wall" joke that the writers haven't developed much of a background on the exact details of an energy vampire.

2.) Not any more than expecting people to understand that tintypes and woodcuts and old styles of painting are specific cultural artifacts.

3.) Nope.

Last edited by Darren Garrison; 04-17-2020 at 07:47 PM.
Old 04-18-2020, 06:35 PM

Quote:
3.) Nope.
No kidding. Odd that the site refers to "the colloquial expression "what's up, dog?"" without any mention of the MUCH earlier colloquial expression "what's up, Doc?"

It also seems odd that Colin would be more inclined to use the "dog" version, being something of an embodiment of Whiteness. Interesting, anyway.

As for the other points: could be. Maybe we'll find out one way or the other by season's end.
Old 04-18-2020, 09:20 PM

Quote:
No kidding. Odd that the site refers to "the colloquial expression "what's up, dog?"" without any mention of the MUCH earlier colloquial expression "what's up, Doc?"

It also seems odd that Colin would be more inclined to use the "dog" version, being something of an embodiment of Whiteness. Interesting, anyway.
Because it was never an extremely widespread meme 15-20 years ago to say "updoc" to try to get people to say "What's up Doc?"? The point of the energy vampire attempting that tired old joke was that everyone on the planet already knew it except for a long-dead woman (and you.)
Befor the next episode, you might better get a dicfor.
Old 04-18-2020, 09:30 PM

BTW, as for "whiteness", the rise of the "updog" meme was possibly related to the equally widespread "You're the man now Dog!" meme taken from a line from Sean Connery in the movie Finding Forrester.
Old 04-18-2020, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Because it was never an extremely widespread meme 15-20 years ago to say "updoc" to try to get people to say "What's up Doc?"? The point of the energy vampire attempting that tired old joke was that everyone on the planet already knew it except for a long-dead woman (and you.)
If you don't catch ligma first.
Old 04-19-2020, 10:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelurkinghorror View Post
If you don't catch ligma first.
My first car was a 1971 Henway.
Old 04-19-2020, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Your capacity for logical thinking appears to have deserted you. Why would I have posted about the dialogue if I didn't recognize it as a joke?

The only dispute was over whether Colin would be more likely to use the newer "dog" version of the joke as opposed to the well-established (for decades) "Doc" version of the joke.

Didn't you understand that?
Old 04-19-2020, 07:08 PM

What you don't seem to understand is the point was for the energy vampire is to drain people's energy by using an extremely well known gag, not to actually be funny. He uses updog because it is extremely well known and current. "Updoc" may have been once popular, but has gone the way of velocipedes and monicles and twenty-three-skadoo (as, possibly, knowing Bugs Bunny catch phrases might have.) The whole point of an energy vampire is being tedious, not being archaic.

Last edited by Darren Garrison; 04-19-2020 at 07:09 PM.
Old 04-19-2020, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
My first car was a 1971 Henway.
Two and Half Pounds or was it a roaster?
Old 04-19-2020, 08:04 PM

Quote:
What you don't seem to understand is the point was for the energy vampire is to drain people's energy by using an extremely well known gag, not to actually be funny. He uses updog because it is extremely well known and current. "Updoc" may have been once popular, but has gone the way of velocipedes and monicles and twenty-three-skadoo (as, possibly, knowing Bugs Bunny catch phrases might have.) The whole point of an energy vampire is being tedious, not being archaic.
Sounds like you need to write an angry email to the writers of a 2004 episode of Scrubs, in which the "updoc" gag was used--and not as a way of conveying "twenty-three-skadoo' or any other expression of archaism.
https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/32e248b...5-b59e67b71290

By the way, you're not demonstrating a mastery of history, here, that would incline anyone to consider you a credible authority. "Twenty-three skidoo" (not "skadoo" as you had it) originated in the nineteen-aughts, but

Quote:
It does usually evoke the period of the flappers and speakeasies in the US, though its heyday was really the first decade of the century; by the 1920s it was already rather passť.
http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-twe2.htm

"What's up, Doc," by contrast, was first heard in mid-1940, in Bugs Bunny's official debut A Wild Hare, directed by Tex Avery. https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/406400.html
Old 04-23-2020, 07:28 PM

Another great episode, last night. The gang attends a Superb Owl party!

If you haven't seen it yet, be sure to notice The President Show's Anthony Atamanuik in a key role, playing someone other than Trump, of course.
Old 04-23-2020, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Sounds like you need to write an angry email to the writers of a 2004 episode of Scrubs, in which the "updoc" gag was used--and not as a way of conveying "twenty-three-skadoo' or any other expression of archaism.
https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/32e248b...5-b59e67b71290

By the way, you're not demonstrating a mastery of history, here, that would incline anyone to consider you a credible authority. "Twenty-three skidoo" (not "skadoo" as you had it) originated in the nineteen-aughts, but

http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-twe2.htm

"What's up, Doc," by contrast, was first heard in mid-1940, in Bugs Bunny's official debut A Wild Hare, directed by Tex Avery. https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/406400.html
See? You have the whole "energy vampire" thing down pat!
Old 04-24-2020, 07:57 AM

Quote:
The point of the energy vampire attempting that tired old joke was that everyone on the planet already knew it except for a long-dead woman (and you.)
Nandor, Laszlo, and Nadja didn't seem to know it. While half the joke was Colin's lame attempts at jokes, the other half was the other three unintentionally not taking the bait. I think Nandor asking "Can we get some now?" showed that he didn't get the joke.

My wife desperately wants a GIF of the Nadja doll saying "Call me"
Old 04-24-2020, 08:26 AM

Meeting with the
SPOILER:
Superb Owl
cracked me up. I never noticed that before.
Old 04-24-2020, 12:19 PM

NM. Misremembered a detail.

Last edited by Darren Garrison; 04-24-2020 at 12:21 PM.
Old 04-26-2020, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
My wife desperately wants a GIF of the Nadja doll saying "Call me"
Ask and the internet delivers. https://weloveweird.tumblr.com/post/615564623319531520
Old 04-26-2020, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stowed Bob View Post
You made her morning! Well, you and whoever made the gif.
Old 05-06-2020, 07:22 PM

New episode, tonight.

Last week's ep showed the creators definitely messing with us over the "Guillermo's section of the opening titles" issue: the stuck-in-the-Seventies vampire house had at least two examples of the photo-portrait-with-two-shots-of-the-subject. One of them was even commented on by the characters. And to top it off, the house's twin girls (and/or Shining-style sisters-close-in-age) EACH had her own framed photo---as if to shine a spotlight on the topic.

They are aware of the speculation (by some, not all, admittedly) that Guillermo may have a twin---and they are tweaking us about it. They could have included the double-portraits in the plot in some location other than the stuck-in-the-Seventies house. The fact that they did it this way raises questions about when Guillermo (and his brother? or not?) had that Sears Portrait Studio photo taken. As mentioned, the actor would have been the age of the boy in the photo in about 2000---long after the heyday of the trend. Is Guillermo unstuck in time?

On the other hand, the whole thing may be meaningless.

I'm looking forward to finding out which it is!
Old 05-14-2020, 07:26 PM

The actor playing Lazlo's opponent (in the 13 May episode) seldom gets the thespic credit he deserves; what a voice!
Old 05-14-2020, 07:36 PM

I take it that's the Mark Hamil episode?
Old 05-14-2020, 07:52 PM

Yeah. Apparently he's a massive fan of the show:

Quote:
...Hamill spoke to us shortly before “On the Run” aired, and he was especially happy to talk about why he’s such a huge fan of this goofy, great vampire comedy. “I thought I’d be playing a meter reader, or a next door neighbor, or someone at the Department of Motor Vehicles,” he said. “When I found out that they wanted to play The Vampire, I just flipped out.” ...
https://www.vulture.com/2020/05/mark...e-shadows.html
Old 05-14-2020, 10:34 PM

i just read that same article before i posted lol
Old 05-15-2020, 07:17 AM
Charter Member

There is actually a very Colin-Robinson-like person in my life...and she sits right next to me at work! Every day by quitting time, I'm lying over the arm of my chair, mumbling, "Leave me alone..."
Old 05-21-2020, 08:27 PM

This week's episode was one of the best yet.
Old 05-21-2020, 08:37 PM

I'm pretty sure some of the posters here were actually Colin.
Old 05-22-2020, 05:46 PM

Were?