Old 02-07-2020, 07:55 PM
Charter Member

Locke & Key on Netflix - anyone else watching? (possible spoilers)

This show dropped on Netflix today and I am happy to know almost nothing about it. It is from Stephen King's son and I do know they made a comic book of it and that it also has an audio drama version.

I've read neither and am going in entirely blind. It's been on my watch-list for awhile.

Anyone else watching?
Old 02-07-2020, 07:58 PM

It's definitely on my list, pending reviews. The trailers looked interesting at least.
Old 02-07-2020, 08:06 PM

On my list, too, but my list is intimidatingly long.
Old 02-07-2020, 08:21 PM

I came across this review today:
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/...orth-the-wait/

I watched the first episode but it didn't really appeal to me.
Old 02-07-2020, 08:46 PM
Sith Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
This show dropped on Netflix today and I am happy to know almost nothing about it. It is from Stephen King's son and I do know they made a comic book of it and that it also has an audio drama version.
Apologies if I'm misreading you, but "made a comic book of it," makes it sound like the comic was an adaptation of another story. This isn't the case. The comic book was the original form of this story.

[/pedant]
Old 02-07-2020, 10:50 PM

I started it this afternoon with my son and had no idea who did it or what it was about. We watched six episodes back to back because he enjoyed it so much. It was okay to me. A fantasy show with more teen angst than I care for but I would say it's about the same level as October Faction. Maybe I'm just getting too old for this stuff but the teen angst tropes grate on my nerves. They're all so bitter and catty and nobody ever tells parents anything. My son has promised if he ever finds magic keys or makes friends with glow-eyed warlocks he will come straight to me.
Old 02-09-2020, 08:21 AM

I'm 3 episodes in, and it's been ok. The kids are annoying some of the time, but more often than not just incredibly stupid, and too dumb to stay alive. There's also frequent cases of not communicating important information for no particular reason. I liked some of the scenes that explored the PTSD aspect, and where they were just being siblings. It's a little too much of a typical young adult fantasy that are dime a dozen these days. I understand the source material was darker, and perhaps going more in that direction would have been better.
Old 02-09-2020, 03:21 PM

I just saw something about this today, and I want to check it out.
Old 02-09-2020, 04:11 PM

We're one episode in and will continue to watch. Early days, but I'd say it was better than either October Faction or Umbrella Academy,
Old 02-09-2020, 05:20 PM
Charter Member

I'm 4 episodes in and give it a solid "OK" rating. I was hoping for better, but it is not bad.
Old 02-09-2020, 05:48 PM

Big fan of the source material and came into this a combination of excited and please donít screw it up. One episode in, definitely satisfactory. Biggest complaints are Tyler not wearing the fishing lure cap and how quickly the keys are uncovered And shared. However, what works as a slow reveal on the page doesnít necessarily translate to the screen, so making allowances.
Old 02-10-2020, 12:29 AM

Always love seeing Nova Scotia’s south shore standing in for the US east coast�� That alone will get me to watch at least the first episode.
Old 02-10-2020, 04:59 AM

I think it was beautifully shot and had some great characters. Loving the diversity, having a disabled guy just being another guy they interact with is great.
The did rely on the idot ball hard in some episodes, like the drowning Caves and especially the final Episode.
Just thinking about the possibilities of all the keys with my wife was awesome - especially the Head Key. Maybe they think of some more clever stuff to do with them in further episodes.
Old 02-10-2020, 06:56 AM

Not my cupa.
Old 02-10-2020, 03:57 PM

I loved the comic books and am excited to watch it.
Old 02-11-2020, 08:22 PM

I'm enjoying it so far, 2 episodes in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Daze View Post
We're one episode in and will continue to watch. Early days, but I'd say it was better than either October Faction or Umbrella Academy,
Good comparisons. I gave up on October Faction after 1 boring and stupid episode. Umbrella I made it through but it wasn't worth it.

Locke & Key is interesting so far and I like the characters. I'm curious if Echo is human, fey or fiend.
Old 02-12-2020, 01:13 AM
Embracing the Suck
Charter Member

I got about half way through episode 1, and think it will end up being one of those bingewatch things my husband and I do - we don't seem to every watch 'normal' TV any more, and really have no idea what is actually on any more [I can't honestly remember any series TV we actually watched on a regular basis, maybe Babylon 5 or Firefly? Probably something on the SF channel back before it went strange. Warehouse 13 or Eureka maybe We normally would watch movies on one of the on demand channels like HBO/Showtime]

I found it interesting, and almost sort of reminiscent of the miniseries of the motel keys. [I tried googling it, but am not sure The Lost Room is the right series? I just remember odd stuff, like a pencil that if you tap it a coin appears, can't remember if it is a penny or a quarter, some objects are slightly inimicable but most are benign like tapping a pencil and getting money]
Old 02-12-2020, 11:08 PM

We just finished it tonight. It was absorbing enough. I liked that the kids worked very intelligently sometimes, but hated that they were pretty stupid sometimes.

I absolutely hated the denouement - it ruined the story for me and I probably won't watch the next season.

J.
Old 02-12-2020, 11:29 PM

We're still working our way through it. The kids are painful to watch. If given a choice between a smart action and one that will go horrifyingly wrong, they always go with "b".
Old 02-13-2020, 06:06 AM
Charter Member

A bit of the script from the first episode:

Mom: Hey, kiddo! I know you're like eight, only a really immature eight, and your dad was violently murdered just a couple of months ago, and yesterday you were playing in the dilapidated well house and swear you saw a ghost there. Wanna go to the store with me? No? Then I'll just leave you alone for an hour or two in this haunted house we just moved into where there are weapons on the walls and, let me emphasize, a dangerous falling-apart well house that you like to play in. Have fun!

I know it makes me an old man, but I can barely see the plot around all the parental negligence.

The visuals are wonderful, and I like the plot a lot, but the script and the actors are making it hard to enjoy. I'm two episodes in and don't anticipate making it a third. I might read the source material, though.
Old 02-13-2020, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aruvqan View Post
I found it interesting, and almost sort of reminiscent of the miniseries of the motel keys. [I tried googling it, but am not sure The Lost Room is the right series? I just remember odd stuff, like a pencil that if you tap it a coin appears, can't remember if it is a penny or a quarter, some objects are slightly inimicable but most are benign like tapping a pencil and getting money]
Yes, that was The Lost Room. Every object in the room had a special property, some trivial, some profoundly powerful. There was only one Key. It worked very much like the Go-Anywhere Key from Locke & Key, except the Lost Room's Key let you go from any door into the Lost Room, or from the Lost Room through any door, rather than from any door through any other door.
Old 02-13-2020, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdave View Post
Yes, that was The Lost Room. Every object in the room had a special property, some trivial, some profoundly powerful. There was only one Key. It worked very much like the Go-Anywhere Key from Locke & Key, except the Lost Room's Key let you go from any door into the Lost Room, or from the Lost Room through any door, rather than from any door through any other door.
I would've rather Netflix picked up more The Lost Room. It was a great series, and the creator has been meaning to continue the story in whatever way. I recently re-watched it, and it still holds up. Maybe this show will pave the way?

Locke & Key was decent however, for YA fare. Excellent production values & visual effects.
Old 02-13-2020, 12:57 PM

Finished this today. I thought it was all right, though the ending was a bit flat for me. This had some of the oldest looking "teens" I've seen in a series since Vampire Diaries (Javi on the hockey team is 29). And the dead dad came across as something of a dick in almost every flashback scene, which was weird.
Old 02-15-2020, 12:19 PM

Jist finished it. Thought it was okay. A silly premise, but well executed.

We need more pun-based series. Maybe The DeVille and the Deep Blue Sea? Man buys classic car and finds that it is also a submarine? How about Rocke and a Hard Place? Is that anything? Would this show have worked as well if it was Smith and Key?
Old 02-15-2020, 12:28 PM

Also, I don't think I had ever seen Joe Hill before, but had a feeling that ambulance driver in the last episode was him. I was right.
Old 02-15-2020, 02:37 PM

Last edited by iguanas.com; 02-15-2020 at 02:41 PM. Reason: someone already made my point
Old 02-15-2020, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdave View Post
loved The Lost Room. meh protagonist but it did everything else right. not sure that ti started on Netflix, though.
Old 02-15-2020, 06:44 PM

Just watched the first episode last night, not blown away, but intrigued enough to tune in again. Weíll most likely watch it through, it was entertaining enough to keep us curious.
Old 02-19-2020, 10:18 AM

I finished it last night, it was a good but not great series. A lot of dumb stuff by the heroes had to be stomached. That gets kind of old. But overall I liked the story and the characters.
Old 02-19-2020, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
Also, I don't think I had ever seen Joe Hill before, but had a feeling that ambulance driver in the last episode was him. I was right.
I didn't occur to me that that might Joe Hill, but as he said his line I said jeez that guy looks like Stephen King used to!

As for the show, I thought it got worse as it went along. The actresses playing Kinsey and the mum seemed to playing it for laughs by the end. It was quite silly really.

MiM
Old 02-19-2020, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerNils View Post
I think it was beautifully shot and had some great characters. Loving the diversity, having a disabled guy just being another guy they interact with is great.
The did rely on the idot ball hard in some episodes, like the drowning Caves and especially the final Episode.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyk View Post
Excellent production values & visual effects.
I just finished the last episode, and I agree with the above assessments. Visually great and I liked the characters and actors, for the most part. I actually found the mom to be the most annoying character. The characters do act stupid too much, but otherwise I found the writing to be pretty good in that I couldn't predict too easily what would happen next, and I think the plot moves forward at a pretty good pace without a lot of filler scenes. Overall I enjoyed it and will definitely watch another season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Made in Macau View Post
I didn't occur to me that that might Joe Hill, but as he said his line I said jeez that guy looks like Stephen King used to!
Ha, I did not know about the connection, but when that ambulance driver appeared I thought to myself, "That looks like a young Stephen King" and wondered if there was a reason. Now I know!

Did you catch the earlier cameo, in episode 2?

SPOILER:
The owner of the hardware store who gives Bode the jar of keys was played by Tom Savini, horror movie icon and namesake of Scot's "Savini Squad" film crew.
Old 02-23-2020, 12:07 PM

Weíve seen the first two episodes, and itís not great, but we will tune in again. I do have a question, or Iím wondering if I missed something. Why does it seem like the youngest, Bodie, I think, the one finding all the keys doesnít go to school? In the second episode, it was very clear the older ones got to school, spent the day at school, and came home. Bodie, was just hunting around the house for keys. Was this explained? If not, I think itís a big miss on the plot, how am I supposed to suspend the fact that the kid ought to be in school?
Old 02-23-2020, 12:15 PM

There's a line about his term time starting a week after the siblings.

MiM
Old 02-23-2020, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Made in Macau View Post
There's a line about his term time starting a week after the siblings.

MiM
Thank you, I obviously missed that 😊.
Old 02-24-2020, 08:57 AM

I liked it well enough. I will definitely watch a second season.

I found it a bit unlikely that

SPOILER:
Dodge would be able to do Gabe stuff (presumably attending class and being with his parents), do her Dodge stuff, do her Lucas stuff, etc. The fact that I didn't have to think about that until after the show ended, and the fact that it was fantasy, I can let it slide.

I did think it was quite obvious that Gabe was a bad guy though, his puppeteer of Eden suggested a total psychopath. It just did not occur to me that it was Dodge though.

If it was darker as people have said it was in the comics, I think I would have enjoyed it more. I would have preferred a little more Shining, and a little less Harry Potter. The teenagery stuff didn't bother me though. Were they stupid sometimes? Sure. Teenagers are definitely stupid sometimes though.

I can see why they they kept it lighter though, I think it will have a bigger following (my wife wouldn't have liked it any darker.

Last edited by Ashtura; 02-24-2020 at 08:57 AM.
Old 02-24-2020, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtura View Post
I liked it well enough. I will definitely watch a second season.

I found it a bit unlikely that

SPOILER:
Dodge would be able to do Gabe stuff (presumably attending class and being with his parents), do her Dodge stuff, do her Lucas stuff, etc. The fact that I didn't have to think about that until after the show ended, and the fact that it was fantasy, I can let it slide.

I did think it was quite obvious that Gabe was a bad guy though, his puppeteer of Eden suggested a total psychopath. It just did not occur to me that it was Dodge though.
Same. The comics were better, but the show was entertaining enough. I'm now rereading the comics and enjoying them again.

On your spoilered comment:
SPOILER:
I couldn't figure out how Dodge could be Gabe, logistically. She spent relatively little time being the menacing Well Lady or being Lucas at Ellie's, so I think she'd have enough time to be Gabe, but... wasn't Gabe an established member of the Savinis when Kinsey met them? Like, they all knew each other and had worked on the movie, and were all ready to shoot that scene like a day or two after Kinsey started school, but Dodge didn't get released from the well house until a few days before that, right?
Old 02-24-2020, 02:05 PM

iamthewalrus(:3=
SPOILER:
I couldn't figure out how Dodge could be Gabe, logistically. She spent relatively little time being the menacing Well Lady or being Lucas at Ellie's, so I think she'd have enough time to be Gabe, but... wasn't Gabe an established member of the Savinis when Kinsey met them? Like, they all knew each other and had worked on the movie, and were all ready to shoot that scene like a day or two after Kinsey started school, but Dodge didn't get released from the well house until a few days before that, right?

Regarding this,

SPOILER:
I assumed Dodge murdered Gabe offscreen and took over his identity shortly after she got out of the well. It really makes no sense otherwise. Of course, that is never shown. Gabe has to have been a real person that pre-dates the well escape. I would also hope that Dodge somehow absorbed Gabe's memories, that would make pulling it off even more difficult.

Last edited by Ashtura; 02-24-2020 at 02:06 PM.
Old 02-24-2020, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthewalrus(:3= View Post
Same. The comics were better, but the show was entertaining enough. I'm now rereading the comics and enjoying them again.

On your spoilered comment:
As I remember it,
SPOILER:
Gabe wasn't really one of the Savinis - he was explicitly introduced as being a recent transfer who agreed to help the Savinis with their movie in exchange for them becoming his friends, as he didn't have any at the school yet. Now, how Dodge apparently knew before Kinsey became involved with the Savinis to ingratiate him/her/itself with the Savinis in anticipation of Kinsey also becoming involved with them...

Last edited by gdave; 02-24-2020 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Couldn't figure out how to spoiler in a quote box
Old 02-24-2020, 02:20 PM

SPOILER:
Gabe wasn't really one of the Savinis - he was explicitly introduced as being a recent transfer who agreed to help the Savinis with their movie in exchange for them becoming his friends, as he didn't have any at the school yet. Now, how Dodge apparently knew before Kinsey became involved with the Savinis to ingratiate him/her/itself with the Savinis in anticipation of Kinsey also becoming involved with them...

Ugh, the more you think about this, the dumber it becomes. Is this in the comics? Surely they must have addressed this better there.
Old 02-24-2020, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtura View Post
SPOILER:

Ugh, the more you think about this, the dumber it becomes. Is this in the comics? Surely they must have addressed this better there.
In the comics the key that Dodge uses is the gender key, and just switches between well lady and Lucas, who transfers into the school and works his way in with Tyler’s friends but also strikes up a relationship with Kinsey.

Last edited by Jack Burden; 02-24-2020 at 03:56 PM.
Old 02-24-2020, 05:33 PM

I'm going to go back and rewatch a few scenes to see what was actually stated and what I assumed.

I do like that they changed enough from the comics that despite having read them I didn't quite know what was coming. I knew the major beats, but not the specifics.

Last edited by iamthewalrus(:3=; 02-24-2020 at 05:34 PM.
Old 02-25-2020, 02:40 PM

I rewatched the scenes in question and I'm cool with it. It was actually clear and I just didn't pay close attention. The logistics work out fine.
Old 05-22-2020, 09:37 PM

We just finished watching it - one episode per night for the past two weeks.
My wife and I really enjoyed it. A bit juvenile in places, but good story line- other than the one plot point which had the characters make an obviously bad decision (but no worse than some of the stupid plot points in The Expanse).
I’m looking forward to season two.