Old 05-15-2020, 08:02 AM

Police killing protesters

Google seems to be failing me here.

I'm looking for recent (say, within the past 40 years) US cases where police have killed one or more of a group of protesters.

Also of interest would be cases where police made a genuine attempt to kill (e.g. shot at and hit) one or more protesters.
Old 05-15-2020, 08:13 AM

I assume that since you are saying 40 years ago you don't want to get into this one. Some would say Ruby Ridge and Waco were protest against the government.

Last edited by Si Amigo; 05-15-2020 at 08:14 AM.
Old 05-15-2020, 08:16 AM
Charter Member

If you meant to include outside the U.S. then shooting of Patrick Chow in Hong Kong maybe fits the criteria.
Old 05-15-2020, 08:18 AM
Charter Member

How about in Thailand?
Old 05-15-2020, 08:20 AM
Charter Member

Sorry, only now noticed the OP said "US cases".
Old 05-15-2020, 08:27 AM

we recently celebrated anniversary of Kent State killings, but that was more than 40 years ago
Old 05-15-2020, 08:28 AM

sorry, I should have specified that shooting was National Guard, not police
Old 05-15-2020, 10:36 AM
Charter Member

[Moderating]

Just a pre-emptive friendly reminder that this is GQ, not GD. The OP is looking for a list of such incidents, not judgements about them or the like. Everyone's fine so far; I just want to make sure it stays that way.
Old 05-16-2020, 10:49 PM

I was looking for the Bundy protestor shot in Oregon while evading marshals.

LaVoy Finicum
Old 05-16-2020, 11:49 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Cad View Post
I was looking for the Bundy protestor shot in Oregon while evading marshals.

LaVoy Finicum
He was not shot while engaged in a protest, which is what the OP is looking for. He was stopped for at a roadblock, and shot when he apparently went for his gun. It was more suicide by cop than "police killing protesters."
Old 05-17-2020, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedman View Post
... that shooting was National Guard, not police
There was little practical difference in that cae.

For this discussion, lethal force by any "police-like" organization should count.
Old 05-18-2020, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedman View Post
we recently celebrated anniversary of Kent State killings, but that was more than 40 years ago
*commemorated
Old 05-18-2020, 06:30 PM

And looking at the previous 40 years encompasses American administrations of both parties.
I find the dearth of cites comforting.
Old 05-18-2020, 06:46 PM

I cannot think of any shootings against protestors off the top of my head from the last 40 years...in the US such things are rare (Kent State...probably worker protests in the early 1900's).

But, that does not mean the police don't get aggressive and violent towards protestors in the US now...they certainly do. They just use means short of shooting them.
"I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid; I meant, that stupid persons are generally Conservative. I believe that to be so obvious and undeniable a fact that I hardly think any hon. Gentleman will question it." ~John Stuart Mill
Old 05-19-2020, 11:59 PM

I think it was the ending of the movie "Billy Jack" that had a scroll of all the protesters killed by police or national guard while protesting the Vietnam War and racial injustice - and only the first entry, Kent State was real. As far as I could tell at the time, the rest were just fiction.

I would imagine the blow-back from Kent State was that firing live rounds directly into a crowd was not likely to be glossed over. Every bit of training says the police only shoot if they see a threat of serious injury from an armed assailant. I haven't heard of rock-throwers reaching that category yet.
Old 05-20-2020, 12:27 AM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whack-a-Mole View Post
...in the US such things are rare (Kent State...probably worker protests in the early 1900's).
They weren't rare at all up until the 1940s or so. Many workers were killed by police and the National Guard during early labor struggles, and many more by company guards, anti-union mobs, the KKK, and others.
Old 05-20-2020, 01:06 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2000 View Post
I think it was the ending of the movie "Billy Jack" that had a scroll of all the protesters killed by police or national guard while protesting the Vietnam War and racial injustice - and only the first entry, Kent State was real. As far as I could tell at the time, the rest were just fiction.

I would imagine the blow-back from Kent State was that firing live rounds directly into a crowd was not likely to be glossed over. Every bit of training says the police only shoot if they see a threat of serious injury from an armed assailant. I haven't heard of rock-throwers reaching that category yet.
The beginning of The Trial of Billy Jack had a listing of three real incidents and 1 fictional. The fictional incident was the basis of the movie.

The three listed incidents were the Orangeburg Massacre,
the Jackson State shooting in 1970 and the 1972 shooting at Southern State University. Two of those incidents fit the OP (except for the 40 year part). The Jackson St incident was more of a riot than a protest by my cursory glance at it.
Old 05-20-2020, 02:53 PM
Charter Member

Even if police don't shoot protestors any more, that doesn't mean they don't kill them. I can envision a situation where police use tasers, beanbag rounds, water hoses, tear gas, or other usually-nonlethal measures against protesters, and a protester dying as a direct result (there's a reason why the police refer to such measures as "less lethal", rather than "nonlethal"). Though whether that's actually happened since 1980, I don't know.
Old 05-20-2020, 06:11 PM

Not sure that this would count as a protest but the police killed people during the Rodney King riots.
Old 05-20-2020, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
The beginning of The Trial of Billy Jack had a listing of three real incidents and 1 fictional. The fictional incident was the basis of the movie.

The three listed incidents were the Orangeburg Massacre,
the Jackson State shooting in 1970 and the 1972 shooting at Southern State University. Two of those incidents fit the OP (except for the 40 year part). The Jackson St incident was more of a riot than a protest by my cursory glance at it.
Interesting - the other two I had not heard of before. Thanks.

but if memory serves me, the first movie (or rather, previous movie) ended with a fairly extensive list of such incidents.
Old 05-21-2020, 12:37 AM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2000 View Post
Interesting - the other two I had not heard of before. Thanks.

but if memory serves me, the first movie (or rather, previous movie) ended with a fairly extensive list of such incidents.
Iím pretty sure you are confusing the two. Bill Jack ends with him being driven away in a police car with the students standing on either side of the road while One Tin Soldier plays. No list. The horrible sequel lists what I mentioned above but in the beginning. You can easily find the full movies of both online but I wonít link them here because I donít know if itís a copyright violation.
Old 05-21-2020, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by road_lobo View Post
*commemorated
correct, my bad wrote too fast without thinking
Old 05-22-2020, 03:36 AM

Does the MOVE bombing count? The police fired ten thousand rounds, then bombed the building the MOVE people were in setting it on fire, and there are claims that the police shot at them as they tried to escape; others just burned. Also 65 other houses burned while the police held off firefighters.
Old 05-22-2020, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
Iím pretty sure you are confusing the two. Bill Jack ends with him being driven away in a police car with the students standing on either side of the road while One Tin Soldier plays. No list. The horrible sequel lists what I mentioned above but in the beginning. You can easily find the full movies of both online but I wonít link them here because I donít know if itís a copyright violation.
OK, it's been 30 or 40 years I think. I just remember a scrolling list with increasing body counts. Thanks for the update.
Old 05-22-2020, 11:48 AM

When you shoot someone protesting....it becomes 'a riot'.
Old 05-23-2020, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Sams View Post
I don't think that happened in the Kent State case.

What are some examples?
Old 05-23-2020, 09:49 AM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Sams View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xema View Post
I don't think that happened in the Kent State case.

What are some examples?
Moderating

I think he is saying that if the police shoot someone during a protest, the protest then gets called a riot in order to justify the shooting. Since this is a political jab, let's drop this tangent.

If Dale Sams meant something else, then he can clarify.

Colibri
General Questions Moderator