Old 05-20-2020, 09:07 PM

Do you think Humphrey Bogart is attractive? If so, how and why?

I just finished reading The Maltese Falcon and watched a bit of the movie. I gather that Bogart was considered handsome in his day but I just don't see it. But then plenty of people think Mick Jagger is (or was) hot so what do I know? If you think Bogart is attractive, in what way?
Old 05-20-2020, 10:32 PM

Today he is just skin and bones.

His attractiveness derives from his attitude and charisma. He isnt ugly but he isnt traditionally handsome either.
Old 05-20-2020, 11:31 PM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsircool View Post
...His attractiveness derives from his attitude and charisma. He isnt ugly but he isnt traditionally handsome either.
Nailed it. A damn fine actor, too.
Old 05-20-2020, 11:37 PM

He's ugly. No two ways about it.
Old 05-20-2020, 11:47 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeg View Post
I gather that Bogart was considered handsome in his day but I just don't see it. But then plenty of people think Mick Jagger is (or was) hot so what do I know? If you think Bogart is attractive, in what way?
You don't have to be handsome to be attractive. Bogart was not conventionally handsome but he was very attractive. He starred alongside some of the most glamorous leading ladies of the era, and it was considered entirely plausible that they would fall for him. Then of course you have the real-life example of Lauren Bacall, who was immediately attracted to Bogart and married him, staying married for the rest of his life.

Liam Neeson is a current actor who is not at all handsome, but nonetheless is regarded as very attractive.
Old 05-21-2020, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
You don't have to be handsome to be attractive. Bogart was not conventionally handsome but he was very attractive. He starred alongside some of the most glamorous leading ladies of the era, and it was considered entirely plausible that they would fall for him. Then of course you have the real-life example of Lauren Bacall, who was immediately attracted to Bogart and married him, staying married for the rest of his life.

Liam Neeson is a current actor who is not at all handsome, but nonetheless is regarded as very attractive.
I thought i would refute this with a pic from The Bounty...given my memories is that everyone (including Hopkins) is so dreamy in this film

BUT...you called it. Liams got a weird nose.

Nothing else to add to this other than Liam is a tall chap, and Bogie was notoriously short.
Old 05-21-2020, 12:40 AM
The Central Scrutinizer

Bogey was short and ugly and still married one of the most beautiful women of his time. He must have had something going for him.
Old 05-21-2020, 01:31 AM

He was not attractive but he had charisma. You can still feel it when watching one of his movies.
Old 05-21-2020, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
Bogey was short and ugly and still married one of the most beautiful women of his time. He must have had something going for him.
He had 3 beautiful wives before Lauren Bacall:
Helen Menken
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...oorCanteen.jpg
Mary Philips
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...lips_photo.jpg
Mayo Methot
https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...&iact=c&ictx=1
Old 05-21-2020, 06:15 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
Nailed it. A damn fine actor, too.
Funny - I think he's a very wooden actor. In fact, I never believed him as any of the characters he played - I felt like he was always Bogart reading lines. Guess I'm missing something.

I also thought he was rather ordinary looking.
Old 05-21-2020, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyChatMom View Post
Funny - I think he's a very wooden actor. In fact, I never believed him as any of the characters he played - I felt like he was always Bogart reading lines. Guess I'm missing something.

You thought that in Caine Mutiny?
Old 05-21-2020, 08:21 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyChatMom View Post

He had a somewhat dead pat delivery, but he usually played tough guys.
It think actors began to have to be pretty in the 1970s.
Old 05-21-2020, 09:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Sams View Post
You thought that in Caine Mutiny?
Or in African Queen or Treasure of the Sierra Madre?
Old 05-21-2020, 10:06 AM

Like Mick Jagger, mentioned in the OP, Bogart is iconic. Bogart as the manager of your local Denny's might not be good looking, but Bogart is Bogart. At that level, I think you kind of transcend traditional good looks.
Old 05-21-2020, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmonk28 View Post
Like Mick Jagger, mentioned in the OP, Bogart is iconic. Bogart as the manager of your local Denny's might not be good looking, but Bogart is Bogart. At that level, I think you kind of transcend traditional good looks.
Yeah, unless you’re like 100 years old or grew up without ever watching TV or going to a movie, Bogart has always looked like Bogart. I suspect he was cast in his earliest films for looking tough not handsome. When it became apparent he had some acting chops he was able to make the extremely rare transition to romantic lead during a time (WWII) when toughness was particularly attractive To the public.
Old 05-21-2020, 10:24 AM

Yeah, I don't know that Bogart was generally considered handsome. Despite already having a successful acting career behind him, Casablanca was really his first role as a romantic lead. If he'd been thought of as the "leading man type," he would have done more traditional romantic drama roles before that. As Elmer J. Fudd suggests, it may have helped that Casablanca was released during the war, at a time when people liked their leading men to have a bit of a rough edge to them.
Old 05-21-2020, 11:16 AM

Bogart looked like someone you might actually know. He was believable. Could any of the roles mentioned above have been filled by John Wayne, Rock Hudson or Clark gable?
Old 05-21-2020, 11:25 AM

Physically attractive, no. But he had a very compelling style and presence.
Old 05-21-2020, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
Or in African Queen or Treasure of the Sierra Madre?
Well, the script of African Queen had to be rewritten for Bogart because he was unable to perform the Cockney accent that was originally intended. Not saying that reproducing accents is required to be a good actor, but no, to me his acting in it wasn't anything special. It was just Bogart being Bogart again. Take a random scene from African Queen, from The Maltese Falcon, and from Casablanca and I don't see a big difference in his characterization. I mean, it's a great character, but it's always the basically same character.
Old 05-21-2020, 12:05 PM

As a man, he wasn't Tyrone Power or Errol Flynn. As an actor, he wasn't Spencer Tracy. But he was damn good, and always, always a pleasure to watch.

I can't think of a dud performance by him in a movie, at least not after High Sierra.
Old 05-21-2020, 12:12 PM

He died at 57 so we never saw how he would have looked in his 60s and beyond.
Old 05-21-2020, 12:24 PM
Charter Member

He was said to be particularly attractive while discussing pork chops and apple sauce.
Old 05-21-2020, 12:24 PM

Physically attractive, no. But he had a very compelling style and presence.
Old 05-21-2020, 12:26 PM

To those who say that Bogart always played Bogart I would recommend In a Lonely Place. Its about as dark a film as it gets. You can watch for free here https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...QKBasW9L5Hzz6i
Old 05-21-2020, 12:36 PM

By the mid Fifties, he was ill and looked like it, too.
The movies always found a way to make even ordinary players look attractive if they wanted to, whether from lighting them in a certain way, or casting other players who didn't obviously tower over them.
Old 05-21-2020, 12:39 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markn+ View Post
Well, the script of African Queen had to be rewritten for Bogart because he was unable to perform the Cockney accent that was originally intended. Not saying that reproducing accents is required to be a good actor, but no, to me his acting in it wasn't anything special. It was just Bogart being Bogart again. Take a random scene from African Queen, from The Maltese Falcon, and from Casablanca and I don't see a big difference in his characterization. I mean, it's a great character, but it's always the basically same character.
Not in Treasure of the Sierra Madre, where he goes nuts, Roaring Twenties or Petrified Forest, where he is just a Bad Guy.
Old 05-21-2020, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmer J. Fudd View Post
Yeah, unless you’re like 100 years old or grew up without ever watching TV or going to a movie, Bogart has always looked like Bogart. I suspect he was cast in his earliest films for looking tough not handsome. When it became apparent he had some acting chops he was able to make the extremely rare transition to romantic lead during a time (WWII) when toughness was particularly attractive To the public.
His first film was The Petrified Forest where he played a tough guy. And he only got the role because Leslie Howard insisted on it. It's why Bogie's daughter was named Leslie. But it typecast him for a decade. He mostly just played bad guys or toughs. Even in the Western (!) he made, he was the "black hat" playing against "white hat" James Cagney (!) -- The Oklahoma Kid.

I always thought Bogie had tons of charisma.
Old 05-21-2020, 01:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmonk28 View Post
Charisma is extremely under-rated. I've known guys in low status jobs who were able to date very attractive women based mostly on confidence and charm. These guys weren't ugly, but they weren't particularly handsome either, just like Bogart. Add Bogart's natural Charisma to movie stardom and it doesn't really matter that he doesn't have traditional leading man looks.

It didn't hurt that he was also very intelligent. He was a decent chess player and corresponded with Supreme court justices.* It also didn't hurt that he came from money.

*Take the last with a grain of salt. I know I've read it but didn't have good luck googling it just now.
Old 05-21-2020, 01:26 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

He was not the Gerber Baby.
His sneering lip came not from WWI shrapnel, but from falling of his bicycle as a child.
Old 05-21-2020, 03:39 PM

I did not find him good-looking. Why? Because of my own, personal taste. Didn't find him attractive, either. Why? His dour persona did not jibe with me. When he smiled, he looked scary. To me.
Old 05-21-2020, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggirl View Post
I did not find him good-looking. Why? Because of my own, personal taste. Didn't find him attractive, either. Why? His dour persona did not jibe with me. When he smiled, he looked scary. To me.
Same with me! When I was a kid, I always found him to be a little frightening, even in sympathetic roles. Plus he reminded me of Moe Howard (Three Stooges), who also scared me. I was a weird kid, I guess.
Old 05-21-2020, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorousplant View Post
He was not the Gerber Baby.
His sneering lip came not from WWI shrapnel, but from falling of his bicycle as a child.
Yeah, his mom, a commercial artist, drew the Gerber Baby, but it wasn't Bogie. I think it was actually a girl?

I also heard his family was well off.
Old 05-21-2020, 04:22 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane View Post
Bogart looked like someone you might actually know. He was believable. Could any of the roles mentioned above have been filled by John Wayne, Rock Hudson or Clark gable?
My father's looks reminded me of Bogart. Per my mother, he was regarded as quite the catch back in the day.

It's a tough-guy "look" that was more popular in the 1940s and 1950s, and sort of out of date today. Back then a guy like Joe DiMaggio was good looking enough to marry the likes of Marilyn Monroe. Frank Sinatra, also more a tough guy than matinee idol, also made them swoon.

Last edited by Colibri; 05-21-2020 at 04:22 PM.
Old 05-21-2020, 05:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAtoz View Post
Yeah, I don't know that Bogart was generally considered handsome. Despite already having a successful acting career behind him, Casablanca was really his first role as a romantic lead. If he'd been thought of as the "leading man type," he would have done more traditional romantic drama roles before that. As Elmer J. Fudd suggests, it may have helped that Casablanca was released during the war, at a time when people liked their leading men to have a bit of a rough edge to them.
It also helped that Bogart worked for Warner Brothers at the time. During the 30s and 40s, Warner Brothers was different than other major studios in that they made into stars actors and actresses who were considered too "unconventional" looking to be leads elsewhere. Along with Bogart, this was the case with Warner's other major stars like James Cagney, Edward G. Robinson, Paul Muni, and Bette Davis.

Last FM Library Thing
Old 05-21-2020, 05:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markn+ View Post
The Academy begs to differ.
Old 05-21-2020, 05:57 PM

He was WAY before my time and I haven't really seen many of his movies. I'm a 33 year old, straight, male. But I'm just scrolling down on Google Images looking at a million pictures of him and I'm baffled by the idea that he was NOT handsome. I know there are a lot of different ways that a man can look handsome, and I know that everyone's tastes are different, but...how could he not be considered at least within the normal range of what a handsome male face looks like? It has all the right proportions. For those who think he was outright unattractive, can you explain why?
Old 05-21-2020, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrps View Post
His first film was The Petrified Forest where he played a tough guy. And he only got the role because Leslie Howard insisted on it. It's why Bogie's daughter was named Leslie. But it typecast him for a decade. He mostly just played bad guys or toughs. Even in the Western (!) he made, he was the "black hat" playing against "white hat" James Cagney (!) -- The Oklahoma Kid.

I always thought Bogie had tons of charisma.
Not his first film or even his first starring role, which was Two Against the World released earlier the same year. It's true his early movie career had not been successful which is why he went back to Broadway between 1934 and 1936.

As for being typecast, there was at least one exception, his role as the Irish horse trainer Michael O'Leary in Dark Victory, 1939 (3rd billing over poor Geraldine FitzGerald). Considering that The Petrified Forest came out in 1936, saying he was typecast as the villain for a decade goes about 5 years too far.

Last edited by Roderick Femm; 05-21-2020 at 06:40 PM.
Old 05-21-2020, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
He's ugly. No two ways about it.
Which is not really the same thing as attractive. I've been deemed less attractive than much uglier men plenty of times.
Old 05-21-2020, 06:47 PM

Quote:
My father's looks reminded me of Bogart. Per my mother, he was regarded as quite the catch back in the day.

It's a tough-guy "look" that was more popular in the 1940s and 1950s, and sort of out of date today. Back then a guy like Joe DiMaggio was good looking enough to marry the likes of Marilyn Monroe. Frank Sinatra, also more a tough guy than matinee idol, also made them swoon.
I agree but also think this overlooks the fact that status and wealth play into the attractiveness of people, especially men. Almost any pop or rock star can have millions of ladies swooning and very few of them are handsome. I'm not going to say this only applies to male celebrities, either. I can think of several TV actresses and movie stars who are considered exceptionally beautiful but I can walk down the street in any major city and find several more stunning looking women flying completely under the radar (at least pre-Tinder/Instagram era).
Old 05-22-2020, 06:47 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Mrs, Plant found him quite attractive in the 1980s.
Old 05-22-2020, 07:32 AM

I'm gonna go out on a very subjective limb and say that Bogart was very good-looking, even hot. I do tend to prefer men with long faces and dark features, and those eyebrows are a definite plus. Definitely not an average-looking man for people with conventional taste.
Old 05-22-2020, 10:02 AM

Quote:
My father's looks reminded me of Bogart.
Photos of my father in his younger days gave me the same impression.

Evidently you can have craggy physical features (Bogart, Jagger) and still have appeal to the womenfolk. Though I think it was overdone in one of Bogart's films (The Big Sleep, where he played Philip Marlowe and women were falling all over him, including a taxi driver and a bookstore owner).
Old 05-22-2020, 11:07 AM

I'm a straight man, so this is coming from a "would I like to look like this person" mindset rather than "would I like to be in a romantic relationship with this person" mindset.

Bogie has a lot of things going for him, but physical looks aren't really one of them. But he has a physical presence that makes up for it, and makes him seem almost Bond-like, with the cool charm and charisma that makes him a leading man. The way he holds himself, and the way he carries himself. He's one of those "ugly, but in a handsome way" faces, like Hollywood ugly. Peter Lorre or Edward G. Robinson, for example. He did look better when he was younger, but never Hollywood handsome like Brad Pitt or Cary Grant or Paul Newman.

He's not tall, but he's a style icon. I wish I was about a hundred and twenty pounds lighter than I am so I could pull off his style. Also, I love his acting. He wasn't the first, but the first I am aware of where he pretty much always played himself. Like Jack Nicholson or Al Pacino. You know what you're going to get, but he's damn good at it anyway, and quite entertaining. I need to go watch some more Bogart movies this weekend. I've seen quite a few, but I also know there are plenty I haven't seen.
Old 05-22-2020, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii View Post

Evidently you can have craggy physical features (Bogart, Jagger) and still have appeal to the womenfolk. Though I think it was overdone in one of Bogart's films (The Big Sleep, where he played Philip Marlowe and women were falling all over him, including a taxi driver and a bookstore owner).
That was from the book.
Old 05-22-2020, 11:36 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii View Post

It is in the film. Wasn't the bookstore woman an employee? I don't recall them in the novel.
One must remember that the woman was driving a cab because many men were away in the armed forces.
Old 05-22-2020, 11:45 AM
SDSAB

Rosie the Riveter and Carla the Cabbie.
Old 05-23-2020, 10:43 AM

How is Bogart attractive?

His voice.
Old 05-23-2020, 06:59 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsircool View Post
To those who say that Bogart always played Bogart I would recommend In a Lonely Place. Its about as dark a film as it gets. You can watch for free here https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...QKBasW9L5Hzz6i
Well, THAT was disappointing. All but two segments are “blocked in this country.” I was really looking forward to because a) Bogart fan; b) actually read the novel a couple of months back; and c) I was friendly with Dorothy B. Hughes (the author) during the 80s and 90s, when I was a crime fiction editor and she was active in the Mystery Writers of America.
Old 05-23-2020, 07:31 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
Well, THAT was disappointing. All but two segments are “blocked in this country.” I was really looking forward to because a) Bogart fan; b) actually read the novel a couple of months back; and c) I was friendly with Dorothy B. Hughes (the author) during the 80s and 90s, when I was a crime fiction editor and she was active in the Mystery Writers of America.
I recorded it from Comcast pay per view.
I haven't watched it yet, or read the novel. What if Bogie really did it?
Old 05-23-2020, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
Sorry...try here.

https://archive.org/details/inalonelyplace1950