Old 05-23-2020, 02:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whack-a-Mole View Post
I think it is telling they are giving the newer Civ away for free and not the (much) older one.

A clear indication of which is the better game.

Still, as has been said, you cannot go wrong for free and this is not a bad game at all...it's quite good. Just Civ-V was soooo much better (a true game for the ages once you had all the DLC).
I guess...I mean Grand Theft Auto V was considered the best one and they gave it away...
Old 05-23-2020, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
I guess...I mean Grand Theft Auto V was considered the best one and they gave it away...
I was only partway joking when I said there couldn't be anyone left who didn't have GTA V yet. I have no idea what Epic pays to the developers to give the game away, but I wouldn't be surprised if Rockstar has decided there is very little money to be made from selling the base game, but thinks it still might have some to be made in Online micro-transactions(although some of the Shark cards are 100 bucks, I wish we had found a better term than micro-transactions, but we seem stuck with it now) once they get into a few more peoples hands.
Old 05-23-2020, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Is there a GTA-VI they could have given away?
"I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid; I meant, that stupid persons are generally Conservative. I believe that to be so obvious and undeniable a fact that I hardly think any hon. Gentleman will question it." ~John Stuart Mill
Old 05-23-2020, 06:48 PM

with the online bonuses and such I think they're just trying to keep interested in the online portion

I can see a WOW inspired GTA MMORPG game happening..... all you'd have to do is just use the "pick a gang" style they had in the first 2 .....
Old 05-23-2020, 10:59 PM

Quote:
I think it is telling they are giving the newer Civ away for free and not the (much) older one.

A clear indication of which is the better game.
Nah, it's an indication of which game is still under active development with the most potential for DLC/Expansion sales.
Old 05-28-2020, 10:43 AM

"Borderlands: The Handsome Collection" is free on Epic. Pretty great deal. Borderlands is a lot of fun.

Near as I can tell this includes: Borderlands 2 and Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel and all DLC for them as of December 31st, 2017.
"I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid; I meant, that stupid persons are generally Conservative. I believe that to be so obvious and undeniable a fact that I hardly think any hon. Gentleman will question it." ~John Stuart Mill
Old 05-28-2020, 10:44 AM

Quote:
"Borderlands: The Handsome Collection" is free on Epic. Pretty great deal. Borderlands is a lot of fun.

Near as I can tell this includes: Borderlands 2 and Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel and all DLC for them as of December 31st, 2017.
Dude, that's.....well....Epic. That's a hell of a lot of good play time for zero bucks.
Old 05-28-2020, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicks Ate View Post
Dude, that's.....well....Epic. That's a hell of a lot of good play time for zero bucks.
Yeah...this is pretty great. Usually I think free games are there to get people to buy the DLC. Few are buying the game anymore but if you get the main game you might still go in for DLC. But this seems to have the DLC too. I might be wrong but still...this is a good one.
Old 05-28-2020, 01:44 PM

Right - the cash-in here, would be people enjoying the old games with friends, and buying the new one on the same platform to continue with them with minimal fuss.
Old 05-28-2020, 02:24 PM
Charter Member

I've never played a Borderlands(except the Tale of Borderlands game).

Do these have a single-player campaign?
Old 05-28-2020, 02:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

It does, and I played BL2 a few months ago single-player (I almost never do multiplayer). As I understand it, certain characters (e.g., the mech/inventor girl) are much easier to play single-player than other characters After finishing the campaign with her, I started playing from scratch with a sniper, and it was hard as hell, and I quit.
Old 05-28-2020, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Yeah...this is pretty great. Usually I think free games are there to get people to buy the DLC.
In this case, it's to get you to buy BL3 and THAT DLC.

I don't think this is evil or nefarious, by the way. You get several complete gaming experiences and if you decide you now want to invest in BL3, more power to you and good for them. But BL3 has been out for a while and they probably have all the people who were actively looking to play it. This is a chance to hook some new sales yet with games that few people are likely purchasing any longer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unpronounceable View Post
Right - the cash-in here, would be people enjoying the old games with friends, and buying the new one on the same platform to continue with them with minimal fuss.
Plus BL3 was one of Epic's first big exclusives. I'm sure they paid a lot to lock that down and would like to move as many copies of BL3 on their platform now as possible.

Last edited by Jophiel; 05-28-2020 at 03:24 PM.
Old 05-28-2020, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
In this case, it's to get you to buy BL3 and THAT DLC.

I don't think this is evil or nefarious, by the way. You get several complete gaming experiences and if you decide you now want to invest in BL3, more power to you and good for them.
I completely agree.

This is all fine sales stuff. Nothing to complain about here that I can see. Indeed, this is pretty decent of them.
Old 05-28-2020, 04:19 PM

Quote:

Absolutely pick this up! Be aware that B1 is old and may look a little rough around the edges, but it's still a great game. B2 is even better. You could just start with B2, but....well just start with B1. Pre-sequel is...well, it's special.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
It does, and I played BL2 a few months ago single-player (I almost never do multiplayer). As I understand it, certain characters (e.g., the mech/inventor girl) are much easier to play single-player than other characters After finishing the campaign with her, I started playing from scratch with a sniper, and it was hard as hell, and I quit.
Zer0, I'm assuming? Granted, I never played him solo but when I did play him I had a freaking BLAST with his chained melee attacks. I think I kicked more ass with him than any of the other characters in Borderlands. It did help to have a Siren on my side, probably....

ETA/BTW: Some of the best humor in a video game, IMHO.

Last edited by Sicks Ate; 05-28-2020 at 04:20 PM.
Old 05-28-2020, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicks Ate View Post
Absolutely pick this up! Be aware that B1 is old and may look a little rough around the edges, but it's still a great game. B2 is even better. You could just start with B2, but....well just start with B1.
This collection actually doesn't include the original Borderlands. Hence the "Handsome Jack" Collection -- only the games with Handsome Jack in them.

Personally, I'd recommend that people start with BL2 anyway. There's not much real story to miss in BL1 and BL2's game play is better in almost every way. Only real reason to play BL1 is so you can get a couple inside jokes and recognize some characters from the first game.
Old 05-28-2020, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
This collection actually doesn't include the original Borderlands. Hence the "Handsome Jack" Collection -- only the games with Handsome Jack in them.
Here is the Steam page on the Boderlands: Handsome Collection.

Obviously that is Steam and not Epic but I am assuming the Handsome Collection on Epic is the same thing.

You can see all the things it comes with on that page (again, assuming this is the same and what Epic is giving away). Steams claims, bought separately, this is all worth $230. Bought as a package deal, $60.

Definitely worth nabbing for free if you can.
Old 05-28-2020, 08:51 PM

Oh, sure. Definitely a nice bundle. I was just making the point that (a) Playing BL1 first isn't an option with this bundle since it's not included and (b) This shouldn't be a sticking point with anyone thinking about it as playing BL1 first won't add a ton to the experience and BL2 is a better game in almost every way.
Old 05-29-2020, 04:26 PM

Far Cry 5 is FTP this weekend at Ubisoft. https://freeweekend.ubisoft.com/far-...&addinfo=EMAIL
Old 06-02-2020, 02:53 PM

It's not for a while, but maybe put it on your calendar if you're interested.

The latest Total War game will be free to keep if you download it on the Epic store within 24 hours of its launch on August 13.