Old 05-11-2020, 03:47 AM
Suspended

If DJT croaks before November, could Ivanka replace him on the ballot?

Opinions, please. With daddy gone, could the GOP base and leadership see Ivanka as a viable candidate?
Old 05-11-2020, 05:17 AM

Legally - she probably could if the RNC so desired.

Practically, it'd almost certainly be Pence at this point. Excluding him would be a massive sign that the RNC had no confidence in him, which would undermine their campaign in a big way. At the most, they'd put Ivanka in as Pence's VP candidate and frankly they're more likely to put a stronger personality in there to counter Pence's blandness - maybe Tom Cotton or someone like that.
Old 05-11-2020, 07:16 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RioRico View Post
Opinions, please. With daddy gone, could the GOP base and leadership see Ivanka as a viable candidate?
No.

This is like talking about running Oprah Winfrey for President, except more so.

There's a lot of talk nowadays about the two political sides in America not understanding each other or each other's motivations. This is, I think, an example.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 05-11-2020, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
No.

There's a lot of talk nowadays about the two political sides in America not understanding each other or each other's motivations. This is, I think, an example.

Regards,
Shodan
I'm not sure the view that Ivanka would ever be a viable candidate for the presidency is given much serious consideration by many of any political persuasion. Idle musings, sure, but while I'm trying hard not to fight the hypothetical here, let's face it - Ivanka brings very, very little to the table to appeal to the RNC or the wider electorate.

So while the answer to the question "could she" is probably "yes", the answer to "would she" is a pretty solid "no" unless some particularly extreme circumstances apply.
Old 05-11-2020, 08:34 AM

She could in the sense that I could or any other citizen 35 and older. She won't because nobody would take her seriously, unless US foreign relations suddenly begins to hinge around handbag designs. Even then it might be better to have a successful handbag designer.
Old 05-11-2020, 10:25 AM

Quote:
No.

Regards,
Shodan
To be fair, Oprah is not now and never has been in a government position. Whereas Ivanka could reasonably claim government experience. In addition to the obvious nepotism patronage of putting her on the government payroll, a long-game view could support the strategy that this was intended to build her cred for future runs for office.
Old 05-11-2020, 12:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Who are you pointing that finger at?

The Democrats have not nominated Oprah Winfrey.

The Republicans have nominated Reagan and Trump. And Arnold Schwarzenegger and Clint Eastwood and Fred Thompson and Sonny Bono and Fred Grandy and George Murphy and Sonny Landham.

Saying the Republicans are more likely to pick a celebrity does not indicate a lack of understanding.
Old 05-11-2020, 06:31 PM

Quote:
No.

Regards,
Shodan

No one with any sense is suggesting Ivanka as a viable candidate, but of course, that's not a bar to a whole lot of Republicans suggesting exactly that.
Old 05-11-2020, 07:25 PM

Donald Trump Jr is obviously being set up as the heir to the political dynasty / family grift, so it would be him instead of Ivanka. And it would be most likely as Pence's VP instead of the top of the ticket, in order to placate the MAGA cult without scaring away the more cultured degenerates of the party.
Old 05-21-2020, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjacks View Post
Donald Trump Jr is obviously being set up as the heir to the political dynasty / family grift, so it would be him instead of Ivanka. And it would be most likely as Pence's VP instead of the top of the ticket, in order to placate the MAGA cult without scaring away the more cultured degenerates of the party.
So, Butthead first, then Beavis? Horrified Onlookers look on with horror.
Old 05-21-2020, 01:41 PM

Quote:
I don't.

I do not know if the OP really thought this could be a serious possibility or was just spitballing but I do not think anyone, on either side, would consider this as a legit possibility for more than two seconds.

I admit I do not get conservatives but even I would not entertain this as a serious possibility.
"I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid; I meant, that stupid persons are generally Conservative. I believe that to be so obvious and undeniable a fact that I hardly think any hon. Gentleman will question it." ~John Stuart Mill
Old 05-21-2020, 01:44 PM

With Trump gone, there is not a single reason why the Republican Party would choose Ivanka as the next candidate. They might not even nominate Pence.

I expect someone like Tom Cotton or Ben Sasse to lead the charge.
Old 05-21-2020, 01:58 PM

Why would the GOP care about Trump’s family once he’s dead? What use are they?
Old 05-21-2020, 02:41 PM

I'm not a republican but I do lean to the conservative side. IMO the conservative party has a much more positive opinion of Ivanka vs Donald & Ivana. She's smart, attractive, morally aligned with most on the right, doesn't have nudes online, and she doesn't embarrass herself every other day.

This doesn't necessarily mean she'd be a good candidate of course.

Last edited by Dark Sponge; 05-21-2020 at 02:43 PM.
Old 05-21-2020, 03:08 PM

Missed the edit window: wrong wife.
Old 05-21-2020, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
Why would the GOP care about Trumpís family once heís dead? What use are they?
Well, that would depend on their constituency, wouldn't it? If they got a clear signal from a large enough percentage of their voters that that's the path to victory, they might.
Old 05-21-2020, 03:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
They might not even nominate Pence.
Pence would motivate the evangelical vote, which is one of the few groups left the Republicans can plausibly appeal to.
Old 05-21-2020, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Sponge View Post
I'm not a republican but I do lean to the conservative side. IMO the conservative party has a much more positive opinion of Ivanka vs Donald & Ivana. She's smart, attractive, morally aligned with most on the right, doesn't have nudes online, and she doesn't embarrass herself every other day.

This doesn't necessarily mean she'd be a good candidate of course.
I'll just leave this here.
"I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid; I meant, that stupid persons are generally Conservative. I believe that to be so obvious and undeniable a fact that I hardly think any hon. Gentleman will question it." ~John Stuart Mill
Old 05-21-2020, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
Pence would motivate the evangelical vote, which is one of the few groups left the Republicans can plausibly appeal to.
Evangelicals are downright reliable republican voters. Bigly!

Who else are they going to vote for?

The only question with that group is who can compete to show they are the biggest racist asshole. I know that sounds provocative but really...that's who they go for. The TEA Party turned it all in to a race to the bottom.
Old 05-21-2020, 09:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whack-a-Mole View Post
Evangelicals are downright reliable republican voters. Bigly!

Who else are they going to vote for?

The only question with that group is who can compete to show they are the biggest racist asshole. I know that sounds provocative but really...that's who they go for. The TEA Party turned it all in to a race to the bottom.
I know there are people on this board who will disagree but most devout Christians are not racist assholes. So the fact that Trump and his people have gone after the racist asshole vote has shaken their grip on the evangelical vote. That's one of the reasons he picked Pence as his running mate; he needed to reassure Christian voters.

It's not like Biden is going to scare away evangelical voters. They might not vote for Biden but they're not going to necessarily show up to vote against Biden. Even Trump knows he can't take the evangelical vote for granted this year. It's why he's started scheduling religious events in his campaign and allowing Pence to stand next to him at briefings.
Old 05-21-2020, 09:17 PM

Quote:
I know there are people on this board who will disagree but most devout Christians are not racist assholes. So the fact that Trump and his people have gone after the racist asshole vote has shaken their grip on the evangelical vote. That's one of the reasons he picked Pence as his running mate; he needed to reassure Christian voters.

It's not like Biden is going to scare away evangelical voters. They might not vote for Biden but they're not going to necessarily show up to vote against Biden. Even Trump knows he can't take the evangelical vote for granted this year. It's why he's started scheduling religious events in his campaign and allowing Pence to stand next to him at briefings.
What planet do you live on?

Evangelicals are freakish when it comes to the homos gaying their kids, gays making them bake cakes, trans pervs stalking bathrooms, scientists telling them evolution is a thing, hussies getting abortions, sex ed teaching kids to fuck and anyone getting between them and the riches God will bestow upon them any day.

No need for racism. That's just bonus material.
Old 05-21-2020, 09:21 PM

Quote:

I will go on record as a person on this board on the left end of politics who agrees with this post, in particular the part I bolded. I know a large number of evangelicals who have been very clear they do not like Trump but because of the death of Scalia and what that meant regarding possibly overturning Roe v Wade they would be voting for the GOP. Hypocritical and a betrayal of their Christian values, yes. But it doesn't automatically make them racist.

If Pence were the replacement I suspect the hardcore Trumpist MAGAts would be less than enthusiastic and not as likely to turn out in November largely because he is not a demagogue. Gym Jeffries, Pompeo or one of the other Trumpish bullies in the GOP would be much more to their liking. Ivanka would likely be seen as too nice also. Of the Trumps I would think they would most likely go with Donald Jr.

Last edited by Kolak of Twilo; 05-21-2020 at 09:24 PM.
Old 05-21-2020, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolak of Twilo View Post
I know a large number of evangelicals who have been very clear they do not like Trump but because of the death of Scalia and what that meant regarding possibly overturning Roe v Wade they would be voting for the GOP. Hypocritical and a betrayal of their Christian values, yes. But it doesn't automatically make them racist.
Have you ever met one who is not a racist?

I am sure every last one would deny being racist.

How many Hispanics or African Americans are in their church? How many have a non-white neighbor? How many would be ok with their child dating someone of another race? I won't even start on gay or trans people.
Old 05-22-2020, 10:35 AM

Quote:

The vast majority I know personally are not racist. I know that because of their behavior and their actions.

I'm sure you would deny being a racist as well. I don't accept that denying being a racist is automatically reason to suspect a person is one.

Quote:
How many Hispanics or African Americans are in their church? How many have a non-white neighbor? How many would be ok with their child dating someone of another race?
Of the ones I have personal knowledge of I would estimate ~15% of their church members would fall in the non-white category. I know a fair number who have family members who have dated and married someone of another race.

Quote:
I won't even start on gay or trans people.
Since I am a gay man I can speak to this specifically from my personal experience. People who have expressed anti-gay or anti-trans attitudes to me have come from all walks of life and religions. Just because some Evangelicals behave one way toward these groups doesn't mean they all do.

And as for your link above, conmen like Joel Osteen are not representative of the the evangelicals I know personally. They have expressed their dislike of his message and how he conducts himself on numerous occasions.

I don't deny Evangelicals and other Christians have a very poor track record in this area. As a group they definitely have a long way to go still. But for someone to lump them all together and assume they all think and act the same way regarding race or gay/trans people would be incorrect.
Old 05-22-2020, 12:52 PM

Quote:

How many Hispanics or African Americans are in their church? How many have a non-white neighbor? How many would be ok with their child dating someone of another race? I won't even start on gay or trans people.
Many, Probably, Many, Many

Do you know any evangelicals personally? Try (gasp) making a friend who is an evangelical; they're not all bad.
Old 05-22-2020, 01:01 PM

Quote:
What planet do you live on?

Evangelicals are freakish when it comes to the homos gaying their kids, gays making them bake cakes, trans pervs stalking bathrooms, scientists telling them evolution is a thing, hussies getting abortions, sex ed teaching kids to fuck and anyone getting between them and the riches God will bestow upon them any day.

No need for racism. That's just bonus material.
Evangelicals generally frown on the prosperity gospel.

And you're painting with a rather broad brush there, don't you think?

I don't think you actually know what "evangelical" means. Might be worth a little research.
Old 05-22-2020, 01:05 PM

If I may junior mod a bit, I think we are taking the thread far off topic.

Anyway, if Trump croaks, I think Pence is just too milquetoast for the job (and he isn't even ambitious enough.)

It would need to be someone quite charismatic. A woman like Nikki Haley might also serve as a counterweight against Biden's planned woman VP pick.

Haley, Sasse, Cotton, would probably be the top 3 choices. The Republican Party will want to seize this opportunity to move away from Trump while not suffering any consequences from Trump's base by doing so.
Old 05-22-2020, 02:03 PM

Quote:
...It would need to be someone quite charismatic. A woman like Nikki Haley might also serve as a counterweight against Biden's planned woman VP pick.

Haley, Sasse, Cotton, would probably be the top 3 choices. The Republican Party will want to seize this opportunity to move away from Trump while not suffering any consequences from Trump's base by doing so.
Agreed it would have to be someone with charisma but it would have to be enough to appeal to the Trump supporters who turned out for DJT in 2016. My gut tells me they would want more of a rabblerouser than any of those three.
Old 05-22-2020, 03:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Anyway, if Trump croaks, I think Pence is just too milquetoast for the job (and he isn't even ambitious enough.)

It would need to be someone quite charismatic. A woman like Nikki Haley might also serve as a counterweight against Biden's planned woman VP pick.
I think Pence has plenty of ambition and wants to be President. It's just that anyone looks meek and mild when they're standing next to Donald Trump.

I've never bought into the Nikki Haley movement. I think that's a case of conservatives believing their own bullshit. They keep telling people that liberals practice identity politics and just vote for people because they're black or female and they've convinced themselves it's actually true. So they think all they have to do is wave Nikki Haley in front of Democrats and they'll be helpless; they'll be compelled by their love of identity politics to vote for her.

It's nonsense. Conservatives are projecting their own identity politics on to their opponents (the Republicans have built themselves up as the party for, of, and about white men). Democrats aren't going to vote for somebody just because she's a woman or because she's vaguely ethnic. They'll look at her record and reject her because she's a conservative. And then the backlash will be in the Republican base where a lot of right wing voters will refuse to vote for Haley because she's not a white man.
Old 05-23-2020, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintly Loser View Post
Evangelicals generally frown on the prosperity gospel.

And you're painting with a rather broad brush there, don't you think?

I don't think you actually know what "evangelical" means. Might be worth a little research.
No, I do not think I am wrong. If I did I would think something else.

There are a LOT of examples of evangelical megachurches preaching the prosperity gospel. And they are doing quite well. Huge congregations. Just check cable or YouTube. These churches are making a fortune. And this is not new...its been going on at least since the 700-Club formed (that was back in the 60s).

They vote for conservatives by a landslide but why? Jesus was a decidedly liberal person. He was the original hippy.

Show me the evangelicals who opposed Trump. I have no doubt you can find a few (I even remember a few trying to stand by their religious beliefs and oppose Trump). Yet most of them, by a long shot, voted for Trump.

It seems to me you are the one who needs to show evangelicals are god fearing, moral people who abide by their beliefs and would never vote for a philandering liar for president.

Last edited by Whack-a-Mole; 05-23-2020 at 01:14 PM.
Old 05-23-2020, 05:58 PM

I sure hope she'd be a viable candidate! I'm low on blonde jokes!