Old 04-29-2020, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASL v2.0 View Post
Anyway, if you can barely sit through Ben Hur, stay away from Que Vadis.
Is this by his non-union Mexican equivalent?
Old 04-29-2020, 09:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I feel bad that I keep coming into this thread and saying basically "Well, uh, like, I had a different experience, man," but...

Well, uh, I had a different experience, man. My take on Quo Vadis: too preachy, unrealistic characters (on both sides, both the good and the bad), and obviously a train wreck as far as historical depictions go. Oh, and the dialogue sucked (ponderous would be the word Id use to describe it). But I suppose it was beautifully shot, particularly for the era, so theres that.
I'm not sure what I might have said to give you the impression that I liked it. In fact, I agree with your take on it. It was just campy enough to make it somewhat amusing. The modern dialog (for the time) was jarringly out of place. I'm not sure why my wife wanted to see it, other than she's doing an online course on Roman architecture.

Last night, she wanted to see Ridley Scott's Gladiator, which I enjoyed the first time around, but found tedious for a second showing. Far better acting than the old blockbuster-style films, though, and CGI technology made the architecture more realistic. One saving grace is that it had almost no religious component, but the bombastic music was still annoying.
Old 04-29-2020, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
I'm not sure what I might have said to give you the impression that I liked it. In fact, I agree with your take on it. It was just campy enough to make it somewhat amusing. The modern dialog (for the time) was jarringly out of place. I'm not sure why my wife wanted to see it, other than she's doing an online course on Roman architecture.
Re-reading your posts, you never explicitly said you liked it or didn’t like it, but you did call it a spectacle, which I took as a positive endorsement, hence my comments. Now that you’ve clarified, I suppose if I were drunk and viewing it with a friend or close companion, I too might enjoy it in a "campy... somewhat amusing" or MST3K sort of way.

Now, thanks to our discussion, others will hopefully have a clearer picture of what the movie will offer them in terms of a viewing experience. IMHO, this makes a fine case for not restraining from comment on movies mentioned in this thread that one has also seen and formed a perhaps different opinion of, and I’m gonna keep on doing it absent moderation to the contrary.

Last edited by ASL v2.0; 04-29-2020 at 01:43 PM.
Old 04-29-2020, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1953 View Post
Hmmmm....a conundrum. While I enjoy give & take on movie criticism (and thank you, ASL v2.0 for your thoughts on 1950's sword & sandals) I fear that if it goes unchecked this thread would go way off the rails. So consider me a vote for adhering to the guidelines in the OP: the poster gets to comment on the film s/he just saw, but the line should be drawn there. Or thereabouts.
I think people can be excused for not following the wishes of a banned poster who started this thread six years ago and can no longer participate in it.
Old 04-29-2020, 04:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Re-reading your posts, you never explicitly said you liked it or didnt like it, but you did call it a spectacle, which I took as a positive endorsement, hence my comments. Now that youve clarified, I suppose if I were drunk and viewing it with a friend or close companion, I too might enjoy it in a "campy... somewhat amusing" or MST3K sort of way.

Now, thanks to our discussion, others will hopefully have a clearer picture of what the movie will offer them in terms of a viewing experience. IMHO, this makes a fine case for not restraining from comment on movies mentioned in this thread that one has also seen and formed a perhaps different opinion of, and Im gonna keep on doing it absent moderation to the contrary.
Yeah, it was common back then to refer to these overwrought, technicolor sword and sandal epics as "spectacles". They usually had an enormous cast of both stars and extras. For instance, The Ten Commandments had Charleton Heston, Vincent Price, Yul Brynner, Yvonne De Carlo, Debra Paget, Anne Baxter, Edward G. Robinson, John Derek, Nina Foch, John Carradine, Clint Walker, Robert Vaughn, and anybody else who wasn't busy with something else. They were also hugely expensive to produce.
Old 05-01-2020, 06:31 PM

Been watching some black and white 30s and 40s mystery movies that are on youtube during the last week.

The 39 Steps (1935) starring Robert Donat and Madeleine Carroll, directed by Alfred Hitchcock. A wonderful film that easily stands the test of time and in fact is one of the best adventure mysteries I've seen. I have previously watched the Kenneth More version made in the 1950s and enjoyed that for its colourful scenery of rural Scotland but the 30s version was far more thrilling and quick paced than the 50s.

The Ninth Guest (1932). I am assuming this was Agatha Christie's inspiration for Ten Little Indians since the premise of having an unknown host invite a group of people to a house party that turns into a whodunit was the plot. She developed that plot far more and wrote one of the greatest mystery books of all time that produced, in my view, one of the greatest big screen adaptations of all time in 1945. This move in 1932 was much shorter and basic but still enjoyable.

Most of the movies from that era are short in duration. Many are little over an hour. But there is something very pleasurable about watching them. There was an elegance and naivety about them that I enjoy more than all action movies.
Old 05-01-2020, 06:34 PM
Charter Member

Ernesto's Manifesto
Old 05-02-2020, 09:15 AM

I'm on a real cheesy action flick jag.

Fast Five (2011) - I thought I needed a little more context on the franchise. As far as I can tell, this is the one where The Rock's character is introduced. Sure, it's no whatthefucktastic shit-show that Hobbs and Shaw was, but only because there were no cybernetic warriors on fucking Tron bikes. Ridiculous story line, coincidence piled upon coincidence to carry the story, some the worst delivered lines in the history cinema ... it's really bad. But it was kind of fun.

The Green Hornet (2011) - another flick that I don't understand why it caught such shit. I love this movie. Seth Rogan is hilarious, as always, and he does good job as a rich slacker trying to be a super hero. Jay Chou as Kato, though barely understandable, was awesome - I love those slow motion, analyzing the shots, fight scenes. It's no award winner but it doesn't suck. Good actors trying earnestly with what they have to work with. Oh and I enjoyed the concept of having Christoph Waltz's evil as shit character complaining throughout the whole movie about needing a better motif.
Old 05-02-2020, 10:17 PM

Okay, time to make my own original submission to this thread:

Kingdom of Heaven - Directors Cut. I was pleasantly surprised. I saw the original in theaters and walked away disappointed as characters seemed to do things for "reasons" that didn’t really seem to make sense. Overall, I had the sense that the characters weren’t fully hashed out and they just sort of did stuff to allow stuff to happen, not because it made sense internally for them to do it. I was skeptical that adding 45 minutes to an already long movie would improve it, figuring they’d probably just make the battles longer or something, but there’s actually quite a bit more to it than that. Other scenes are added or extended so that there’s more depth to the characters and fewer "huh?" moments due to the greater fidelity in the narrative helping to account for their actions and their relationships with one another. In short, it fills in some pretty important gaps that create more of an A to B to C to ... etc. narrative, where previously it seemed like you got an A to D to "wtf, Z already?" narrative (bad writing).

So if you thought the theatrical cut was utterly terrible and unredeemable, well... I can’t promise the director's cut will be any better. But if you found the original "merely okay" and the sort of thing you might watch to fall asleep to or as background noise on a quite afternoon but overall disappointing, I think you’d appreciate sitting through and watching the director's cut.

Last edited by ASL v2.0; 05-02-2020 at 10:22 PM.
Old 05-02-2020, 11:36 PM
Charter Member

Just watched The Court Jester tonight. A rewatch for me, I thought, and then I learned there was a whole bunch at the beginning I've never, ever seen.

I wonder how many other movies there are out there that I think I've seen in toto but actually usually come in halfway through.
Old 05-03-2020, 04:31 AM

Watched the recent adaptation of Little Women, directed by Greta Gerwig. I really liked it. I've never read the book, and I know there have been many film and tv adaptations over the years, but I haven't seen any of them so I had no preconceptions going into it, and I have no idea how faithful it is to the book.

The cast is great. I think Saoirse Ronan is always terrific (see also the Gerwig/Ronan movie Lady Bird) and she is true to form here. The other young actresses are good, too, and it's hard to go wrong with Meryl Streep, Laura Dern, and Chris Cooper rounding things out.

The back-and-forth timelines were a little confusing at times, but I understood the choice a little better after watching one of the extras with an interview of Gerwig. I liked how one of the final scenes (with Jo and the publisher) kind of 'lampshades' the ending of the movie itself.
Old 05-03-2020, 09:14 AM

Timecrimes.A spanish sci-fi movie about time travel.Could be better,but really an original scenario.
Old 05-10-2020, 02:39 PM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boycott View Post
...The 39 Steps (1935) starring Robert Donat and Madeleine Carroll, directed by Alfred Hitchcock. A wonderful film that easily stands the test of time and in fact is one of the best adventure mysteries I've seen....
Yes! I first saw that in college, and it's long been one of my favorite Hitchcock flicks.

My most recent five:

Emma
The newest Jane Austen remake, with a charming and funny cast led by Anya Taylor-Joy and Bill Nighy. Great to look at, with a noticeably bright color palette. Not quite sure it's my favorite version (I think the Gwyneth Paltrow one might still hold that prize), but it's up there.

Fyre: The Greatest Party That Never Happened
Pretty good documentary about the notorious 2017 rock festival flop/scam, and an on-the-nose cautionary tale about the power and reach of social media.

One Man, Two Guvnors
James Corden stars in this filmed stage performance of a British farce. A little slow getting off the ground, but it soon becomes, and stays, very funny.

Ford v. Ferrari
Gripping film about how the stodgy Ford Motor Co. decided to break into car racing in the late Sixties. Matt Damon and Christian Bale are both very good as the frenemies who make it happen. I'm not really into racing, but enjoyed this movie.

Time Bandits
A little boy with a big imagination helps a ragtag band of time-traveling thieves who've stolen a map to the universe from the Supreme Being ("You mean God?" "Well, we don't know him that well"). Zany hijinks ensue. One of Terry Gilliam's best, and with a terrific cameo by Sean Connery as Agamemnon.
Old 05-10-2020, 03:08 PM
Charter Member

I felt a need to watch Bad Monster Movies.

A year or so ago I finally obtained a copy of The Flesh Eaters, a wonderfully bad low-budget film made on Long Island by a couple of guys, one of whom was a comic book artist. It shows up in the way he frames his shots (which has won the film a cult following -- they're pretty innovative for a low-budget flick) Of course, the effects are pretty poor, even for the time. Although I am impressed by the way they apparently actually punched holes in the film to create the effect of the "Flesh Eaters" glowing and shimmering (A Hollywood production did something similar in the 1940 film [i[The Mummy's Hand[/i], where they made the eyes of the Mummy (played for the one and only time by no-name actor Tom Tyler) "glow" It's an appropriately eerie effect.)

Anyway, I'd known about the film ever since it made the cover of Famous Monsters of Filmland back in 1964

Issue 29 on this page
https://www.famousmonsters.com/cover-gallery/volume-1/

(Incidentally, that blurb about Jerry Lewis and the Monsters on the cover refers to the DC comic "Jerry Lewis", which the co-creator of Flesh Eaters was doing at the time. Not a coincidence.)

Last night I re-watched Killers from Space, a wonderfully awful 1950s flick starring a young Peter Graves. The aliens all wear very unflattering leotards, lightning-bolt cummerbunds, and have ping-pong ball eyes, which freaked me out as a kid, but to an adult me just looks silly. It's as if they're trying to cosplay as Muppets. It's low-budget film-making at its best, using lots of stock footage and some moderately neat science fictional cities and spaceships that they got from somewhere.

The edition I watched was commented on by "The Film Crew" -- an effort by Mike Nelson and some other MST3K guys before they started RiffTrax, and their comments are great. They even went to the trouble to undo the "backward masking" used to "create" the alien language used in the film. I always had wondered what they were really saying.

Some pix from the film :

https://thatwasabitmental.com/2014/0...e-1954-review/

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22K...Mxv3vVd7xCNW_M

Last edited by CalMeacham; 05-10-2020 at 03:09 PM.
Old 05-10-2020, 04:10 PM

1776 (1972) - the musical of the revolution before Lin Manuel Miranda. I remember having watched a screening of it in middle school - I can't remember if they brought the film into school or if we went to a theater, but I remember being really taken with it then. Not so much that I ever watched it again between then and now, but I thoroughly enjoyed it once again. I forgot how touching it was in spots as well as how ribald it was as well.
Old 05-10-2020, 04:42 PM

And another classic - Funny Face (1957) - starring Audrey Hepburn and Fred Astaire. Full disclosure, I have such a crush on Audrey Hepburn. I think she is one of the most gorgeous women I've ever seen. Fred Astaire plays a fashion photographer who is charged with making Audrey a star for his boss, Maggie Prescott, THE fashion maven of New York. There are many great musical dance numbers that are just quintessential movie musical romance fodder. Fred's toreador dance (or whatever it is) in the courtyard, juggling his umbrella, hat and coat to impress Audrey. Fred's, Audrey's and Kay Thompson's (Maggie Prescott), "That's For Me" number culminating at the top of the Eiffel Tower and of course the sexiest dance scene ever filmed, Audrey Hepburn's bohemian dance in the Parisian underground cafe. My god, I could watch that number on a loop for the rest of my life and never get sick of it.

Another scene that really stuck me is the beginning of the "That's For Me" number where Fred exits a taxi out to the sidewalk before breaking into the number and strolling down the Champs Elysees. It looks like it's done with a steadi-cam, which didn't exist in 1957, and you can see no trolley tracks as they pan back. On location and it looks amazing.
Old 05-10-2020, 09:51 PM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Batty View Post
1776 (1972) - the musical of the revolution before Lin Manuel Miranda. I remember having watched a screening of it in middle school - I can't remember if they brought the film into school or if we went to a theater, but I remember being really taken with it then. Not so much that I ever watched it again between then and now, but I thoroughly enjoyed it once again. I forgot how touching it was in spots as well as how ribald it was as well.
I was in a college production of the musical (playing the Rev. Jno. Witherspoon of New Jersey) before I ever saw the movie, and had a great time, and also really enjoyed the film when I finally got around to seeing it. I have long wished someone (LMM himself?) would do a musical about the Constitutional Convention.
Old 05-11-2020, 05:05 AM

Here's that number I was talking about - "That for Me" which is actually entitled, "Bonjour Paris". The whole clip is fun, but check that opening shot I was talking about:

Bonjour Paris
Old 05-11-2020, 10:26 AM

Johh Wick 3 (2019) showed up on one of the online services I use so I re-watched 1 (2014) and 2(2017) and...well I got bored during the 3rd one. The first two are still exciting, but midway through the 3rd I just stopped caring. i actually skipped forward through a lot of it including the fights just to get to the end. I even went back and watched part of it again, and I could not get really engaged in it at all.

I watched Abominable (2019) with my family and although it is predictably going to end on a happy note, it didn't feel to me like it was a simple rehashing of other family movies. From the youngest in our family to the oldest we enjoyed the visuals and the theme.

//i\\

Last edited by icon; 05-11-2020 at 10:27 AM. Reason: typoes everywhere!
Old 05-11-2020, 11:34 AM

Coincidentally, I also just watched John Wick 3 last night. Over the last couple weeks, my wife and I watched 1 and 2 so both were fresh in mind. I was entertained through JW3 but we were definitely cracking wise a lot more than we did in the first two. The first movie felt like there was this mysterious underworld of assassins operating around us. The second pushed the boundaries of that to the limit and JW3 felt like us working stiffs are the minority population just living in International Assassin Corp's world (complete with branded company buses!). I wouldn't quite say it jumped the shark, but it's definitely revving up the bike and was a distinct quality drop off from the first two.

Last edited by Jophiel; 05-11-2020 at 11:36 AM.
Old 05-18-2020, 08:11 AM
Charter Member

I just watched a movie called Seven Psychopaths. It was made in 2012 but I had never heard of it. With a name like that, I wasn't sure I wanted to see it, but actually it was very much like Tarantino's stuff - violent, but humorous and almost cartoonish at times. And there are animals in the movie but none of them are hurt.

There are a lot of big names in this movie, the biggest being Chistopher Walken and Woody Harrelson. The movie started out really well, but then about halfway through it bogged down and ultimately fizzled. This may be partly because I didn't sit and watch it straight through (I saw it in three sessions over the course of the weekend). But it was funny and held my interest and I was glad I watched it.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1931533/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

Last edited by Dung Beetle; 05-18-2020 at 08:13 AM. Reason: Linky
Old 05-18-2020, 11:56 PM
SDSAB

My latest five (all documentaries, as it happens, and all worth a look):

Represent
Pretty good documentary about three women seeking public office (running for mayor of Detroit, U.S. Congress in the Chicago suburbs, and trustee of a rural Ohio township). An interesting if somewhat superficial look at how being a candidate changes your life, for good and ill, win or lose.

Playing with Fire
Another good doc, about Apollo's Fire, a critically-acclaimed chamber music ensemble in Cleveland, and its charismatic founder and conductor, Jeannette Sorrell.

Golda
Engaging, warts-and-all 2019 biography of Israeli Prime Minister Golda Meir, from her childhood in Milwaukee to her remarkable rise - almost always tougher and smarter than everyone else around her - and eventual fall in Israeli politics.

Bully. Coward. Victim. The Story of Roy Cohn.
Understandably scathing bio of Joe McCarthy's right-hand man and later NYC GOP political fixer and celebrity lawyer, a closeted gay man who actively opposed gay rights laws and fiercely denied he had AIDS to the day he died of it. The first three words of the movie's title come from the words on his square of the AIDS Quilt.

Chichinette: The Accidental Spy
An affectionate profile of a Holocaust survivor and much-decorated former French spy who is still alive, traveling the world and talking about her WW2 experiences to rapt audiences.
Old 05-23-2020, 09:39 AM

Bad Boys (1995) - I thought I was watching this for the first time, but as I watched it all came back to me. I had seen it before. Obviously, it didn't leave that much of an impression on me. Except for Ta Leoni's legs ... oooh, they're prefect. I'm a leg man. I digress.

The Final Countdown
(1980) - I know I watched this one before, years ago, but I thought there was more to it than there was. The story, in a nutshell, is that the USS Nimitz is sent back through time to just before Pearl Harbor is attacked, does nothing of any real importance, and is then sent back through time again to 1981. It was mostly the Navy's version of Top Gun - a sanctioned recruiting film, and I have to admit, there is some cool navy shit going on in this flick. Here's the thing that struck me the most, though: the super-duper, ultramodern, the yokels won't understand what they're seeing, aircraft carrier is sent back 40 years! If the super-duper, ultramodern aircraft carriers we have now were sent back 40 years they'd be going up against the crew in this movie. 2020 just doesn't seem as far removed from 1980 as 1980 does from 1940. A common phenomenon, I'm sure.
Old 05-23-2020, 11:46 AM
SDSAB

Quote:
...The Final Countdown (1980) - I know I watched this one before, years ago, but I thought there was more to it than there was. The story, in a nutshell, is that the USS Nimitz is sent back through time to just before Pearl Harbor is attacked, does nothing of any real importance, and is then sent back through time again to 1981....
These threads might interest you:

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...d.php?t=421352
https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...d.php?t=689575

My latest five:

Notting Hill
A funny, charming romcom, with Hugh Grant as a bashful London bookstore owner falling for an American movie star played by Julia Roberts. Look for Downton Abbey's Hugh Bonneville in a small part as a failing stockbroker.

Airplane!
One of my all-time favorite comedies. I introduced my teenage sons to it and they loved it. So many great gags (Kareem snarling at the little kid; Ethel Merman belting out a song as Lt. Hurwitz) and lines ("No, the white phone" "Have you ever been in a Turkish prison?" "You can tell me, I'm a doctor").

Alien
A ragtag starship crew is stalked by a voracious xenomorph. Still a great sf/horror movie; I noticed the music and the striking planetary visuals more this time.

Aliens
Colonial Marines meet their match in a whole colony of xenomorphs. One of the few sequels better than the original, I'd say. Sigourney Weaver kicks ass as one of the greatest action-movie heroines ever.

A League of Their Own
Heartwarming, funny WWII-era women's baseball movie. Geena Davis and Lori Petty are great as sisters and rivals, and Tom Hanks steals every scene as their coach, a boozy, washed-up major leaguer.
Old 05-24-2020, 07:43 PM

I just watched Justice League Dark Apokalips. Not as good as other DC anime, and the plot pissed me off. How does the JL get to declare war on another planet without talking to any world leaders? In my day even the cartoons knew better...
Old 05-25-2020, 10:48 AM

Saw Freaks on Netflix last night. My wife and I enjoyed it. The topic has been overdone this decade, but it offered a somewhat fresh perspective which made it worthwhile.
Old 05-25-2020, 12:40 PM
Charter Member

What are some examples of things that have "done" the same "topic" this decade as Freaks? I'm not even sure what "doing" it would be. I'm not even sure what the "topic" is.
Old 05-25-2020, 12:43 PM
Charter Member

I threw in Yellow Submarine late last night to take a break from editing. For the first time, I put on the closed captioning, figuring I might understand what some of the odd throwaway lines were.

I was surprised that a.) I've apparently misunderstood some Beatles lyrics for a LONG time; b.) There's a pretty decent joke by "John Lennon" about being the "Ego Man" that I never caught before.

*The Beatles didn't provide their own voices, except for the kicker at the very end (and, of course, their recordings throughout). Actor John Clive provided the voice of Lennon's character.
Old 05-25-2020, 01:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Bad Boys (1995) - I thought I was watching this for the first time, but as I watched it all came back to me. I had seen it before. Obviously, it didn't leave that much of an impression on me. Except for Ta Leoni's legs ... oooh, they're prefect. I'm a leg man. I digress.

The Final Countdown
(1980) - I know I watched this one before, years ago, but I thought there was more to it than there was. The story, in a nutshell, is that the USS Nimitz is sent back through time to just before Pearl Harbor is attacked, does nothing of any real importance, and is then sent back through time again to 1981. It was mostly the Navy's version of Top Gun - a sanctioned recruiting film, and I have to admit, there is some cool navy shit going on in this flick. Here's the thing that struck me the most, though: the super-duper, ultramodern, the yokels won't understand what they're seeing, aircraft carrier is sent back 40 years! If the super-duper, ultramodern aircraft carriers we have now were sent back 40 years they'd be going up against the crew in this movie. 2020 just doesn't seem as far removed from 1980 as 1980 does from 1940. A common phenomenon, I'm sure.
FYI There is a SF book series about this very concept.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axis_of_Time
Old 05-25-2020, 03:32 PM

Shoes - 7.5/10
I finally watched a movie, and I finally finished a silent movie after a few attempts at other ones. I didn't know this one was only an hour long. My DVR had it at 2 hours, and the "Movie Info" had it at 101 minutes. It was just on TCM, so it might be available On-Demand. Has anyone seen this? If so, what did you think?

I liked that the movie centered around the young woman. She's in every scene, and even when there isn't much happening, she's reflecting on a life that could be. I guess I always have loved movies centered around poverty and struggle.
Old 05-25-2020, 05:44 PM

Rocketman (2019) - I finally got a chance to see it (it just showed up on Amazon Prime). I wouldn't exactly say I was champing at the bit to catch it. I mean, I'm as much of an Elton John fan as the next guy - had a couple albums, knew all the words to his songs on the radio, that kind of shit - but I didn't think I'd enjoy the bursting into song at the dinner table style of musical I knew it was. I stand corrected. I really enjoyed it. Taron Egerton was amazing as Elton. I was happy that they didn't Bohemian Rhapsody out and make it PG-13. Also, it was nice to hear the actor's interpretations of the songs as opposed to lip-syncing over the actual recordings or whatever. Thumbs up.

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (2008) - Ok, full disclosure, I didn't actually watch the whole thing. I caught about 90% of it in about five different settings. So I guess all I have to say is that is beautifully filmed and well acted, but I don't really get the plot. Other than that, what vexes me is that Benjamin is born as an old man in an infant's body. As his body grows, he de-ages until he ends up dying as an infant ... but in an infant's body again. Why didn't he die as an infant - having forgotten how to speak and walk and everything whatshername said - but in an old man's body? Eh, maybe I'll give it another shot.
Old Yesterday, 06:32 PM

The Lovebirds

Kumail Nanjiani and Issa Rae have great chemistry. Good dialog and a lot of fun....right up the horrid cliche 'climax' with the bad guy.

Just Go with It
With the beautiful Jennifer Aniston, Adam Sandler....and for some reason, Nick Swarsdon

I could watch Jennifer read the phone book, but this movie's premise is so preposterous that I could not follow.

The Wrong Missy

David Spade and Nick Swarsdon and Rob Schneider. Need I say more?

Slumdog Millionaire.

I resisted seeing it for years because I thought I wouldn't like it. I was wrong.

Molly's Game

Well worth it. Aaron Sorkin wrote and directed, so the dialog is fast paced

-God
Old Today, 07:19 AM
Charter Member

I watched another stinker last night, Suspicion, a Hitchcock movie starring Cary Grant.

In this movie, two people, a dimbulb and a leech, get married after having spent about ten minutes together. The dimbulb decides the leech is also a killer, but what can you do? Cary Grant is just that handsome. After a barrelful of red herrings, far too many people are still alive and the movie is over. Hitchcock should roll over in his grave every time someone is subjected to this crapfest.
Old Today, 04:43 PM
Charter Member

Just finished Uncut Gems on Netflix. This is a drama starring Adam Sandler, who spent the entire movie channeling Al Pacino at his shoutiest and most annoying self. At the halfway point, I couldn't believe I was only halfway through this thing. Now, I don't like Sandler's comedy schtick, and just one of his man-child movies was enough to put me off those forever. I thought I'd give him a shot as a dramatic actor, but won't make that mistake again.