Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 02-05-2016, 12:22 PM
Unpronounceable is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 809
I dislike the instant reinforcements. I understand why they did it, but that just gives the stupidly-overpowered-advantage to the aliens instead of the player. (Of course, I'm saying this after reinforcements arrived surrounding one of my troops!)

I think it would have worked better if you had at least one turn before they arrive, but in turn, they were immune to overwatch for their first action.

So far, though, it does seem like a large improvement over the last game.
  #52  
Old 02-05-2016, 12:57 PM
Kinthalis is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: NJ
Posts: 8,089
I usually get a flare in the area and at least one turn warning when reinforcements are inbound.

Also, figured out that you need to turn off tutorial mode in order to play ironman.

And I tweaked the steam controller profile - I prefer moving the camera around with the analog stick, and instead using the left track pad to ascen/descend floors and to turn the camera.

Last edited by Kinthalis; 02-05-2016 at 12:58 PM.
  #53  
Old 02-05-2016, 01:04 PM
oft wears hats is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: AUS
Posts: 1,975
Played a bit during my lunch break. I also had a total wipe on the first mission. Got too close to the baddies before breaking concealment and one group had sufficient move to flank and kill two of mine in one turn. Then the game dropped three more enemies on me after I killed the first four and I only had a single soldier left by then. Add in some unlucky rolls and it adds up to "Restart Mission."

I don't think I'm going to do this on Ironman, not for the first playthrough. I'll beat it once on Commander and then have another go later with Ironman.

Really liking it so far, I wish I could just keep playing now instead of getting back to work!
  #54  
Old 02-05-2016, 01:16 PM
Unpronounceable is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 809
Getting close is good - just remember to have all but one of your guys on overwatch before breaking concealment.
  #55  
Old 02-05-2016, 01:54 PM
oft wears hats is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: AUS
Posts: 1,975
I did that, got everyone lined up and on overwatch and then had one guy toss a grenade to break concealment. But at least two of my units were in not-currently but potentially flankable positions, and ended up getting whacked. The unit who broke concealment was the one who got flanked, as one of his nearby targets survived. Then another unit panicked and moved to a bad position. Things went downhill from there.

And after all that, I still would have won if I hadn't been blindsided by three more enemies after killing the first group. I knew it was a possibility but I'd really hoped it wouldn't happen.
  #56  
Old 02-05-2016, 05:43 PM
Ike Witt's Avatar
Ike Witt is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Lost in the mists of time
Posts: 15,581
I love that you can reload and then go on overwatch. That was missing from the previous game.
  #57  
Old 02-05-2016, 10:06 PM
DigitalC is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Obamatopia
Posts: 11,350
It's a very small detail but the ragdoll physics of the dead bodies make combat so satisfying.
  #58  
Old 02-05-2016, 11:03 PM
asterion is offline
Your Ad Here
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 11,802
How does the Steam controller work, anyway? I assume you have to hook up your computer to the large display and then use it like a normal controller. Is it possible to go wireless with the graphic feed?
  #59  
Old 02-05-2016, 11:06 PM
SenorBeef is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 28,539
It's just a gamepad with weirdo touch sensor things in addition to sticks. You can use it however you'd use a gamepad. No need for a large display, you can still play on your monitor. You can "go wireless" with the graphic feed if you mean playing it on another device - nvidia cards can send video easily to other computers, devices like the steamlink can transmit it to your tv.
  #60  
Old 02-06-2016, 06:27 AM
Kinthalis is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: NJ
Posts: 8,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by asterion View Post
How does the Steam controller work, anyway? I assume you have to hook up your computer to the large display and then use it like a normal controller. Is it possible to go wireless with the graphic feed?
The Steam link is a little box that connects to your TV and allows you to stream your games to your TV using your home network.

The Steam controller is just an extremely customizable game pad, and can be used on your PC directly, or with the link. You don't have to be streaming the game to another display in order to use it. It's just that since it can be used on a much wider range of games over a standard gamepad, it makes it possible to play something like say Xcom 2, or Civ V, which doesn't have game pad support, from your couch or in any position/location where using mouse and keyboard might not be ideal.

I'm using it for this game, and it feels really good, though I changed up the developer configuration a bit.

I had another complete wipe last night. My best crew. It all went down hill when
SPOILER:
A faceless popped out of a civilian I was trying to rescue. Killed my best guy in one swipe, the two sectoids left made mince meat out of my crew.


It's going to be hard to recover from that, but I've already made it through another mission and have a good roster of squaddies.

Incidentally, the game surpassed Civ V's peak concurrent players by like 30,000!

Last edited by Kinthalis; 02-06-2016 at 06:27 AM.
  #61  
Old 02-06-2016, 10:48 AM
Kinthalis is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: NJ
Posts: 8,089
Forgot to mention that that last wipe had one survivor... she was marked as "Captured". I'm guessing there will be a possible rescue mission down the line? If so, that is AWESOME!

I'm coming back for you soldier, hang tight!
  #62  
Old 02-06-2016, 02:37 PM
Smapti is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 16,931
I'm playing on normal difficulty and this game is considerably harder than its predecessor in pretty much every way. I've found the only way to come out of a mission on top is to save-scum before every shot until I get a kill.

On top of that, there's too much damn stuff happening all the time in the Geoscape. I can't complete a "contact the resistance" objective that takes 2 days in-game, because I swear something new procs every 2-3 minutes of game time. "Oh, here's some new intel. Oh, terror raid. Oh, guerilla strike. Oh, the Council wants to talk to you. Oh, your facility is ready. Oh, here's another terror raid. Oh, here's a new Dark Event you can't do anything about for 2 weeks. Oh, and by the way, the Avatar project gained two points while you were reading all of that."

I may have to turn the difficulty down to Rookie at this rate.
  #63  
Old 02-06-2016, 03:19 PM
Kinthalis is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: NJ
Posts: 8,089
I'm starting to realize that you don't need to take everything that's thrown at you in the Geoscape, in fact, it may be detrimental to you if you do. That clock is ticking after all.
  #64  
Old 02-06-2016, 03:35 PM
MichaelEmouse's Avatar
MichaelEmouse is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 7,594
How much power creep is there compared to XCom?



Have they fixed the netcode? In the previous game, sometimes you would make a character make one action move (not dashing), there would be a hiccup and the character's turn would be over.
  #65  
Old 02-06-2016, 04:33 PM
Kinthalis is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: NJ
Posts: 8,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelEmouse View Post
How much power creep is there compared to XCom?



Have they fixed the netcode? In the previous game, sometimes you would make a character make one action move (not dashing), there would be a hiccup and the character's turn would be over.
In multi-player? I haven't tried it yet, but haven't heard anything about multi-player issues.

Last edited by Kinthalis; 02-06-2016 at 04:34 PM.
  #66  
Old 02-06-2016, 10:23 PM
Jragon's Avatar
Jragon is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Miskatonic University
Posts: 10,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
I'm playing on normal difficulty and this game is considerably harder than its predecessor in pretty much every way. I've found the only way to come out of a mission on top is to save-scum before every shot until I get a kill.

On top of that, there's too much damn stuff happening all the time in the Geoscape. I can't complete a "contact the resistance" objective that takes 2 days in-game, because I swear something new procs every 2-3 minutes of game time. "Oh, here's some new intel. Oh, terror raid. Oh, guerilla strike. Oh, the Council wants to talk to you. Oh, your facility is ready. Oh, here's another terror raid. Oh, here's a new Dark Event you can't do anything about for 2 weeks. Oh, and by the way, the Avatar project gained two points while you were reading all of that."

I may have to turn the difficulty down to Rookie at this rate.
I feel like the main difficulty in the new combat is that the AI is much more aggressive about flanking and just generally punishing overextension. I've had missions go south pretty much just because I accidentally popped a pod with a ranger using a sword.

E: One strategy I find effective is to always carry one flashbang on my grenadier in order to disorient a squadmate that gets mind controlled just in case I can't off the sectopod in the next turn or two.

Last edited by Jragon; 02-06-2016 at 10:25 PM.
  #67  
Old 02-07-2016, 12:36 AM
Smapti is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 16,931
The biggest thing I've found that ups the difficulty (aside from the smarter AI) is that the RNG just seems a lot more unforgiving. X-Com: EU used a random number seed for each mission that didn't reset between reloads (though you could turn that off in Second Wave). This game seems to roll the dice on the fly instead, but still, I've had guys with a 90% chance to hit miss six reloads in a row before finally hitting on the seventh (and still leaving the target with 1 HP). It's pretty darn aggravating to watch a guy with a minigun blast away at a flanked target the next tile over and miss.

Thus far, my rangers have a higher kill count than the rest of the squad simply because it's nearly impossible for their sword attack to miss, and once you get the first tech upgrade for swords they're capable of one-shotting Sectoids and Snakemen. I like the way the grenades destroy terrain now, but they're also more aggravating to use now - you aim for the tile instead of free-aiming, so it's difficult to hit more than one enemy with a grenade unless they're right on top of each other.

Last edited by Smapti; 02-07-2016 at 12:36 AM.
  #68  
Old 02-07-2016, 01:37 AM
Jragon's Avatar
Jragon is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Miskatonic University
Posts: 10,734
I haven't noticed the randomness being any more capricious, though I feel like they may have toned down the base aim stat of soldiers, likely because of the new modular weapon system. My sniper was nigh useless until I stuck a scope on her rifle.

It may be that they no longer lie to you about your odds, in the original X-Com on Normal difficulty they would actually fudge the probabilities a little bit in your favor.
  #69  
Old 02-07-2016, 10:17 AM
enalzi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 8,666
So far, I'm loving it. A lot harder. I agree the aliens are a lot more aggressive; they won't just sit in cover. You have to keep moving to survive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinthalis View Post
Forgot to mention that that last wipe had one survivor... she was marked as "Captured". I'm guessing there will be a possible rescue mission down the line? If so, that is AWESOME!

I'm coming back for you soldier, hang tight!
I lost my complete team saving a VIP. The VIP made it, but the team didn't get to the evac in time. All of them were marked as captured. I have a bad feeling they're going to come back as aliens.
  #70  
Old 02-07-2016, 04:59 PM
Frodo's Avatar
Frodo is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posts: 2,352
You can rescue them! I just recovered one of my soldiers, left behind for lack of time in a previous mission.
  #71  
Old 02-07-2016, 08:17 PM
Unpronounceable is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jragon View Post
I haven't noticed the randomness being any more capricious, though I feel like they may have toned down the base aim stat of soldiers, likely because of the new modular weapon system. My sniper was nigh useless until I stuck a scope on her rifle.

It may be that they no longer lie to you about your odds, in the original X-Com on Normal difficulty they would actually fudge the probabilities a little bit in your favor.
If you mean the X-Com from '93 - there was a never-patched bug that dropped the difficulty setting after loading a save.

Personally, I'm finding the RNG works significantly better than their previous attempt, at least on the shooting side. Hacking results have been seriously weird, though. (I should probably make more of a conscious effort to go out of my way for the "permanent +20 to hacking" results.)
  #72  
Old 02-08-2016, 06:59 AM
oft wears hats is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: AUS
Posts: 1,975
Well, I think I'm boned for this run. I discovered too late that making contact with other regions is basically the "satellite" of XCOM2, so ADVENT is two pips away from finishing their grand plan and I still can't even reach any regions that contain their labs. I think I'll ride this run to the end, though. I might be able to salvage things if the next mission or two goes well.

Though I'm still sore from the beating it's giving me, I'm glad they didn't screw around when making this one more challenging than its predecessor. The developers did a fantastic job making the gameplay inform the story. Both the ground missions and the world management make me genuinely feel like I'm in a desperate struggle to survive.

Not to say that XCOM (2012) didn't also do a great job dovetailing its gameplay and story. I'm just impressed that they managed to do it again when they flipped the tables.

Skulljack is fucking bullshit, though.
  #73  
Old 02-08-2016, 10:01 AM
Kinthalis is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: NJ
Posts: 8,089
Yeah I lost my first one too. Suffered too many losses and with just a handful of rookies and nearly zero supplies and intel, I was pretty much just watching those and those red pips go up.

Started up a new play-through and I'm doing better. I rushed a new squad slot, I make sure to include one, and preferably two rookies in every mission to build up a roster that can handle the injured and dead, and I'm being more proactive on gathering up territory for the resistance.

I've also got some better tactics in place for some of the mission types. For example, on reprisal missions on the resistance camps, I ignore the civs and make my way up the map as quickly as possible, killing advent along the way. Civs behind me are unlikely to be attacked, and the faceless reveal themselves once all advent has been neutralized, giving me more time to take them down before they get too close.
  #74  
Old 02-08-2016, 11:58 AM
SenorBeef is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 28,539
Disappointed to see they have the same 4-6 soldiers on missions, I was hoping they'd make it 6-8 in the sequel. The maps are big enough and the tactical game is hard enough to fit those two extra characters, I think, and it great expands your tactical options. I've gotten used to xenonuats where you can have 12.

Someone will mod it, I'm sure, assuming the modding is flexible enough to allow it. I do wonder how flexible the modding is.

If you design custom characters in the character designer, can you make them appear again in the rookie pool after they die? I like to name characters after my friends, watch them die horrible deaths, then I'd like to recruit their replacement and rename them as #2, #3, etc.

Last edited by SenorBeef; 02-08-2016 at 11:59 AM.
  #75  
Old 02-08-2016, 12:08 PM
Unpronounceable is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 809
There's already a mod to allow 8...but the interface doesn't support it, so there's issues.
  #76  
Old 02-08-2016, 12:11 PM
XT's Avatar
XT is offline
Agnatheist
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: The Great South West
Posts: 35,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorBeef View Post
Disappointed to see they have the same 4-6 soldiers on missions, I was hoping they'd make it 6-8 in the sequel. The maps are big enough and the tactical game is hard enough to fit those two extra characters, I think, and it great expands your tactical options. I've gotten used to xenonuats where you can have 12.

Someone will mod it, I'm sure, assuming the modding is flexible enough to allow it. I do wonder how flexible the modding is.

If you design custom characters in the character designer, can you make them appear again in the rookie pool after they die? I like to name characters after my friends, watch them die horrible deaths, then I'd like to recruit their replacement and rename them as #2, #3, etc.
The guys who did Long War have already up up some mods (that they were paid to do) on Steam, so it's a sure thing that squad size will be modded. In Long War you could have either 8 or even 10 (I don't recall off the top of my head) soldiers in XCOM Enemy Within', and there were a ton of other things they added that I'm sure they will be bringing back. The modding is very flexible, at least it was in the first game based on some of the cool mods that were out for it, and I doubt they would have changed that model since it worked so well for them.

Personally, I'm having a good time with the game so far, though it still makes my blood boil when you miss a 98% shot on a critical alien critter and that turns out to be the one who gets a crit on your minimally exposed sniper and turns him or her into alien dog chow.
  #77  
Old 02-08-2016, 12:26 PM
SenorBeef is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 28,539
The modding for the first game wasn't flexible at all - they had to unencrypt the ini files and then dig around changing values to see what they did in the game. It took a lot of really hard work to get The Long war going and make it as good as they did.
  #78  
Old 02-08-2016, 01:05 PM
Kinthalis is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: NJ
Posts: 8,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorBeef View Post
The modding for the first game wasn't flexible at all - they had to unencrypt the ini files and then dig around changing values to see what they did in the game. It took a lot of really hard work to get The Long war going and make it as good as they did.
This is definitely not going to be that. They are even including all of the uncompressed assets for you to tinker with (50 GB download).

Even people without modding experience appear to be able to make pretty deep changes to the game, like making camera rotation arbitrary, and expanding or removing the turn counters.
  #79  
Old 02-08-2016, 05:38 PM
enalzi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 8,666
I'm starting over. I'm losing a soldier or two every mission, so I'm constantly recruiting new soldiers. I just got attacked and lost most of my high ranking team.
  #80  
Old 02-08-2016, 09:32 PM
Jragon's Avatar
Jragon is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Miskatonic University
Posts: 10,734
Has anyone played with the new extraction mechanics? I'm wondering if since they added the functionality, they're expecting people to abort bad missions more often.
  #81  
Old 02-08-2016, 10:47 PM
Unpronounceable is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 809
Only in the missions where it's required, so far. It's nice that you can extract even after a double move.
  #82  
Old 02-09-2016, 09:08 AM
Mosier is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Vegas
Posts: 7,613
There's a bug which makes it impossible to pick up/carry your unconscious squad mates most of the time. This bug has made the stun-baton guys the highest priority kill targets for me, even though otherwise they would be somewhere in the bottom 2 or 3 of that list.

So far this is the only serious bug/glitch I have encountered. Pretty impressive for release day.
  #83  
Old 02-09-2016, 11:05 AM
DigitalC is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Obamatopia
Posts: 11,350
I've never had problems carrying my unconscious squad mates. I had a bug where the unconscious vip i was carrying died because he was on freaking fire the whole time and there was no indication of this.
  #84  
Old 02-09-2016, 11:32 AM
oft wears hats is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: AUS
Posts: 1,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unpronounceable View Post
Only in the missions where it's required, so far. It's nice that you can extract even after a double move.
Absolutely! That was a great discovery. I actually managed to complete my first sabotage mission without firing a shot. The squad snuck into position, I sent one guy in to set the charges, then everyone booked to the evac while the baddies were still waiting for their first turn.

Of course, nobody got any promotions, but it bought me precious time to regroup and build some proper armor. And it was cool that it was possible. I never thought I'd complete an XCOM mission using nothing but stealth.
  #85  
Old 02-09-2016, 11:52 AM
XT's Avatar
XT is offline
Agnatheist
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: The Great South West
Posts: 35,906
I may have to abandon my first game. The Avatar project is fully in the red (somehow in less than a month it jumped up 5 squares) and I don't have any intel, so I can't open up any of the countries where Avatar facilities are in. I didn't realize you needed intel and somehow I spent a bunch of it when I shouldn't have, so now I think I'm screwed.
  #86  
Old 02-09-2016, 12:02 PM
mlees is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 7,540
Heh. XCOM2 has elements of rogue-like (FTL, anyone?).
  #87  
Old 02-09-2016, 12:27 PM
Unpronounceable is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by XT View Post
I may have to abandon my first game. The Avatar project is fully in the red (somehow in less than a month it jumped up 5 squares) and I don't have any intel, so I can't open up any of the countries where Avatar facilities are in. I didn't realize you needed intel and somehow I spent a bunch of it when I shouldn't have, so now I think I'm screwed.
That gain implies that there's at least 4 working avatar buildings. If you could reach any of them, it'd make a huge difference - destroying the building removes ALL the progress that one has contributed. Also, you can just sit at Resistance HQ and earn intel. You're right that you're probably stuck on that playthrough, though.
  #88  
Old 02-09-2016, 12:46 PM
DigitalC is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Obamatopia
Posts: 11,350
It is actually best to wait until the bar is full to do anything about the avatar project because every time it fills up you get an extra amount of time to do something about it before you lose. Having a bunch of facilities ready to go and taking advantage of the extra time each time the bar fills extends the timer much more than knocking off facilities asap.
  #89  
Old 02-09-2016, 12:49 PM
sohvan is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Finland
Posts: 490
Are there supposed to be resistance links from New Mexico to South America? In my current game I started in New Mexico, and only have links to the Eastern and Western US from there. The only place I can expand is the New Arctic in Asia.
  #90  
Old 02-09-2016, 03:08 PM
BeepKillBeep is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,066
I finished my first campaign on Veteran on Saturday. I won't post any story spoilers of course, but it was satisfying and a lot of fun.

Yesterday I started a campaign on Commander. So far I've had one fatality (bad bad bad dumb mistake) and a fair number of injuries. I'm just about to build the psi lab as I found the psi operative were quite effective in my last campaign.

If this Commander campaign goes well, I'll have to try Legend (and likely get demolished). I don't play on Ironman because I fear a glitch costing me, but I don't reload for anything except a glitch. I only had to reload once due to a graphical glitch.

All in all, great game.
  #91  
Old 02-09-2016, 10:02 PM
Garula is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bostonia
Posts: 763
Enjoying it a lot so far, though I haven't been able to resist "wait, wait, no, let's try that again" reloads. I am ashamed of my own cowardliness. In my defense, I've mostly only reloaded to test out how the systems work, things like "Does the loot countdown go to 0? Nope, reload and grab it before it disappears." or "If I move here will I be close enough to throw a grenade? Looks like not, reload." I did just quit out of a mission that would have cost me a whole squad, though, which is definitely cowardly.

Hacking is neat, but it can be a little too swing-y. I had a mission where I had about even chance on a hack between replenishing my entire squads AP, which would have led to an easy victory, or calling in a squad of enemy reinforcements, which would have been certain defeat. That's a bit too extreme for a single roll of the die, I think.

I also screwed myself over by not paying attention to the facility building rooms. I didn't realize that the top row is a lot faster to clear, so I ended up taking way too long to get another facility slot.

Good to know that I can put off dealing with the Avatar project. It sounds like the best strategy would be to just ignore it until the track fills up, and then take out some black sites?

I kinda hope that someone makes a 'casual' mod. I love XCOM and I think it has the best tactical combat, but it can be very stressful to play. After a couple campaigns, I think I'd like a mod that lets you just build up squads and send them on missions without permadeath or a game over failure state.
  #92  
Old 02-10-2016, 07:35 AM
oft wears hats is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: AUS
Posts: 1,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garula View Post
Enjoying it a lot so far, though I haven't been able to resist "wait, wait, no, let's try that again" reloads. I am ashamed of my own cowardliness.
Eh, you shouldn't beat yourself up over it. I'm not too concerned about that for my first playthrough, anyway. I try not to full-out save scum, but if a mission goes completely pear-shaped, I'll reload from to the very start, or before the mission to get a fresh layout. I've also done the occasional save to test mechanics, as well. I don't replay or reroll missions until I get them perfect, but I also avoid moving forward with a total party wipe, or the loss of major crew or assets. XCOM does a good job of making the missions difficult enough that you often can't get them perfect, so I've endured my share of costly victories.

I'll eventually do an Ironman playthrough, but I'm already playing on Commander, so things are challenging enough. It gives me something to work towards while preventing me from getting getting super frustrated as unfamiliar mechanics and bugs screw with my playthrough.
  #93  
Old 02-10-2016, 08:49 AM
BeepKillBeep is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,066
I had a hair raising mission last night. It was a retaliation mission. So I get my 5 troopers suited up. We land. I move my ranger (who is stealthed thanks to Phantom) forward. I detect 3 pods.

1 - Muton, Shieldbearer, Zerker
2 - Officer, Lancer, Trooper
3 - Sectoid, Sectoid, Shieldbearer

One pod to my left, one pod to my right, one pod directly in front.

All three are within 17 squares.

So I move my first guy, and yup, all of them activate. At the end of my first turn, all explosives and a mimic beacon (very OP) a faceless spawns. I'm can't help but laugh. And the fourth pod is *just* past the pod in front me. They could stumble into the fight at any time. Ultimately, the fourth pod did show up literally on the turn after I killed the first three.

I honestly, don't know how I didn't lose anybody. On the first turn I focused on the mutons (killed one), killed the trooper and the faceless (he was next to the mutons). The zerker and a muton go after the mimic beacon. It was then killed by the officer. Sectoid rezzes the trooper. The other sectoid mind controls one of my grenadier (yeah that's not good). Shieldbearer drops his shield. Lancer MISSES, praise Hypnos!

2nd turn, take out the shieldbearer that dropped the shield, kill the mind controlling sectoid and through a bit of dumb luck kill the muton. We take heavy damage from the remaining pods, as they start to flank us. The remaining sectoid mind controls another one of my guys (argh!!!). Other shieldbearer drops his shield.

3rd turn, kill everything left. The next group pops in, 2 mutons and a zerker. I sob a little.

4th turn, I kill the zerker. One of the mutons shoots a civilian (yay!!) and the other shoots and hits.

5th turn, kill one muton. The other lives from a string of fair misses (RNG happens). Sharpshooter missing the 91% makes me weep a little. He hits one of my guys and brings him to 1 health! Yikes.

6th, kill the remaining muton. Another Faceless pops up. We gun him down no problem.

I ended up with 5 injuries, 4 of them gravely. What a blast.

Last edited by BeepKillBeep; 02-10-2016 at 08:51 AM.
  #94  
Old 02-10-2016, 12:27 PM
Unpronounceable is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garula View Post
Good to know that I can put off dealing with the Avatar project. It sounds like the best strategy would be to just ignore it until the track fills up, and then take out some black sites?
Not entirely - you want to at least have access to them, in case of a big surge in advancement. (and contacted regions increase your income & whole continents give you bonuses.) You just don't need to kill them off as soon as you can access them. Taking out 1 that has 4 pips on it is as good as taking out 3-4 1 pips.

Quote:
I kinda hope that someone makes a 'casual' mod. I love XCOM and I think it has the best tactical combat, but it can be very stressful to play. After a couple campaigns, I think I'd like a mod that lets you just build up squads and send them on missions without permadeath or a game over failure state.
There's already some of that:
- increase or eliminate the time limits
- or rework the timers, so they don't start until concealment is removed.
- increase the length of the Avatar track on lower difficulties
- or remove it entirely
  #95  
Old 02-10-2016, 11:12 PM
Smapti is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 16,931
Upon further experimentation, I believe one of my previous assumptions was wrong - this game does use fixed random number seeds in the same way the previous game did.

Under the standard settings, the game generates a string of d100 rolls at the beginning of every mission which are used to answer hit/miss rolls, in linear order, and this string is retained on reload. If you have a 90% chance to hit a target, and the next roll in order is 91, you will always miss that shot no matter how many times you reload and retry it, unless you take a different shot first and it happens that the next number in line is 89.

I hated that in the first game, and I loved that there was a Second Wave option to disable it. It's ostensibly an anti-save-scumming measure, but it really just encourages a different kind of save-scumming; I know that Squaddie X can't hit on a 67% chance no matter what, so if I can move Squaddie Y into a position where they have a 75% chance to hit, then I'll likely be able to have X take a shot at a 57% chance in the hopes that the next roll is a better one, or if there's an enemy on overwatch, I can force them to take the shot that's doomed to miss so that I can get a better roll on the next shot.
  #96  
Old 02-11-2016, 11:02 AM
Kinthalis is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: NJ
Posts: 8,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
Upon further experimentation, I believe one of my previous assumptions was wrong - this game does use fixed random number seeds in the same way the previous game did.

Under the standard settings, the game generates a string of d100 rolls at the beginning of every mission which are used to answer hit/miss rolls, in linear order, and this string is retained on reload. If you have a 90% chance to hit a target, and the next roll in order is 91, you will always miss that shot no matter how many times you reload and retry it, unless you take a different shot first and it happens that the next number in line is 89.

I hated that in the first game, and I loved that there was a Second Wave option to disable it. It's ostensibly an anti-save-scumming measure, but it really just encourages a different kind of save-scumming; I know that Squaddie X can't hit on a 67% chance no matter what, so if I can move Squaddie Y into a position where they have a 75% chance to hit, then I'll likely be able to have X take a shot at a 57% chance in the hopes that the next roll is a better one, or if there's an enemy on overwatch, I can force them to take the shot that's doomed to miss so that I can get a better roll on the next shot.
This whole thing sounds like a hell of your own creation man.

I would suggest playing ironman mode instead, drop the difficulty by a step if you want. It's likely to be a more enjoyable experience than jumping through all these hoops, and arguably, it's the purest way to experience the game. You're supposed to suffer losses. You're supposed to cry out in anger: "AAAAADDDDVVVEEENNNNTT".

It is precisely because of that trial by fire, that bringing people back alive, flawlessly beating a mission, etc means so much, and feels so good.

You can't have light without the darkness, and you won't care about your soldiers unless you experience the loss of having your favorite cut down by a muton.
  #97  
Old 02-11-2016, 12:55 PM
Smapti is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 16,931
No, a hell of my own creation would be having to repeat 8-10 hours of gameplay because I clicked on a tile that was one over from the one I wanted to click on, and in so doing popped an enemy cluster that wiped my team before I could react.
  #98  
Old 02-11-2016, 01:09 PM
Kinthalis is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: NJ
Posts: 8,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
No, a hell of my own creation would be having to repeat 8-10 hours of gameplay because I clicked on a tile that was one over from the one I wanted to click on, and in so doing popped an enemy cluster that wiped my team before I could react.
But that's Xcom baby!!
  #99  
Old 02-11-2016, 01:19 PM
Smapti is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 16,931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinthalis View Post
But that's Xcom baby!!
Eh. If the Commander could spend 20 years wired into a computer being forced to replay war simulations over and over again until the optimal result is achieved, then I can reload 3 or 4 times in a round in order to get the most bang out of my guys. I've finished campaigns in the first game where I didn't lose any soldiers besides the ones that die in the tutorial and I'm darn proud of that.
  #100  
Old 02-11-2016, 02:16 PM
SenorBeef is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 28,539
Ironman is pretty risky. A bug that keeps you from reloading your saves stops the whole thing dead. There was such a bug when there were Chrysalid burrowers on a map, I'm not sure if they fixed it.

You can get all the benefits of ironman (except maybe an achievement if there is one) by just manually only saving sometimes, but then you need the discipline to actually stick with it.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:22 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2019 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017