Old 01-31-2016, 09:08 AM

Louis CK just released a surprise web series (Horace and Pete)

There is not even an IMDB page for the series. You can get the first episode here, for $5.

I found out about this when I received this email:
Quote:
Hi there.

Horace and Pete episode one is available for download. $5.

Go here to watch it.

We hope you like it.

Regards,

Louis
The cast includes Steve Buscemi, Alan Alda, Edie Falco, Jessica Lange, Steven Wright, and Nick DiPaolo. It's about a bar called Horace and Pete which is run by Horace (Louie CK) and Pete (Buscemi). What brings everyone to the bar is that they are all equally miserable and need to drink.

If you like Louis CK's stuff about how depressingly difficult life can get and how people struggle to get through it, then you'll love this show.

Has anyone else bought an episode?
Old 02-13-2016, 03:19 PM

Ok, now we are three episodes into this show. Is anyone watching this?
Old 02-13-2016, 03:21 PM

No. Not at $5 a pop; that's ridiculous.

ETA: I see that the first episode is $5, the 2nd is $2, the 3rd is $3... still way too expensive.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 02-13-2016 at 03:23 PM.
Old 02-13-2016, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
No. Not at $5 a pop; that's ridiculous.

ETA: I see that the first episode is $5, the 2nd is $2, the 3rd is $3... still way too expensive.
For Louis CK, I'm sure it's worth it. Unfortunately I'm too broke to justify it.
Old 02-13-2016, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigamarole View Post
For Louis CK, I'm sure it's worth it.
No, it isn't and can't be.

A movie ticket, which pays for the building you see it in, the sound system and all the people who maintain the building and equipment, not to mention the distribution infrastructure, is $8.

I'm not paying $5 for an internet stream that I watch in my own house, on my own equipment, that will last less than 45 minutes. That's ridiculous. At that rate, a season of shows STREAMING would be $50 if there were only 10 shows. Considering that comedy rarely gets funnier the more you watch it, that's a pretty crappy deal, IMO.

If he was smart, he'd have put the first one out for free, then charged $2/episode, making the season cost the about the same as a BR or DVD or CD. He went right for greed, hoping that people would utilize the same process you did: "surely there's no way this sucks."

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 02-13-2016 at 06:27 PM. Reason: fixed coding
Old 02-13-2016, 07:13 PM

The price includes downloading it so the comparison to watching a movie vs owning the Blueray isn't a good one.
Old 05-09-2016, 10:49 AM

Nobody watched it?

I've been a fan of Louis C.K. since watching a YouTube video of him honoring Carln's contribution to his own maturation process. Watching that first episode of Louie the scene where the water bottle goes out the window hit me viscerally, as I could tell the audacious shot was amazingly difficult. His background in absurdist film making really shines through in his work and I love it.

I feel like being able to directly give a creator money directly is pretty darn cool and the things he makes move me enough that $30 is worth supporting his new creation.
Old 05-10-2016, 12:03 PM

I haven't watched it yet but I've seen some short clips on YouTube from a few episodes. I also listened to Louis on Mark Maron's podcast talking about it. From the clips if looks pretty amazing but it also seems like it's pretty dark.

I don't see the price being an issue for me so I probably will check it out when I have the time.
Old 05-11-2016, 12:08 PM

I bought and watched the first two episodes. It was OK but I lost interest because I didn't care about the stories or the characters. If it had been $10 for the whole season I probably would have done it. $31? No. That's about four months of NetFlix, Hulu, or Amazon Prime, each of which offers much more for the money.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:07 PM

ONE YEAR LATER

I thought of this show the other day. When I watched it, I had never read a Dope thread on it. Well there barely was one apparently. Worth reviving a zombie to recommend what could fairly be called a Masterpiece. Trouble is, it is a Masterpiece of Tragedy. Very dark and raw. There are some really funny parts, but they serve the tragic mood. Not advised for those who might be timid about sad shows. A lot of it is mundane bar talk, but often brilliant. Great performances, great writing, unique. Louie CK did a long interview with Marc Maron about the making of the show, which adds a lot to it.

There are now a whole bunch of scenes on Youtube if you never got to see any of it.
Old 05-19-2017, 06:46 AM

It's on Hulu now. I might finish watching it now that I don't have to pay by the episode.
Old 05-19-2017, 07:42 AM

I watched most of the first episode. Not my style of humor. Too much cringing.
Old 05-19-2017, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
I watched most of the first episode. Not my style of humor. Too much cringing.
It's not a comedy.
Old 05-20-2017, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut Gallery View Post
Louie CK did a long interview with Marc Maron about the making of the show, which adds a lot to it.
He also did one for Fresh Air, Howard Stern, and for Charlie Rose. They are all great and you get to hear about how Louie convinced all those actors to do the show for next to nothing.

He also talks about how he tried to convince Joe Pesci to play Uncle Pete.
Old 05-17-2020, 01:04 PM

I've been watching it for the past few nights. About 7 episodes into it. I think it's 12 episodes total. For those interested in seeing it, it's on YouTube now.

I'm blown away by the acting, the story, the character development. The entire show is just incredible. One of the best things I've seen in a very very long time.

I knew Louis C.K. was talented, but this is a whole other level of writing and performance.

I highly recommend it.
Old 05-17-2020, 02:03 PM
Charter Member

I watched about half of the first episode. The dysfunction was too much for me to handle.
Old 05-17-2020, 02:22 PM

There's no denying that the subject matter can be very challenging at times. Worth it, though. IMO.

There is a scene in one of the later episodes that addresses the trans subject very well. Should be required viewing.
Old 05-17-2020, 02:25 PM
Charter Member

It's not that it's bad. It's just that family dysfunction is a little triggering. It's difficult for me to watch. I can get all that I need at Thanksgiving.

The directing is unusual. It is paced and blocked more like a play.
Old 05-18-2020, 06:30 AM

Welp QuickSiver, you are responsible for my vacating my entire Sunday into Monday. Somehow I never knew this existed after all this time. It’s far better than anything I’ve ever seen Louis CK do and all of the other actors just blew me away. It was a refreshing way to watch a TV show. It is a tragedy so I guess it isn’t for everybody.
I even listened to some of his interview with Marc Marrone which was also interesting. He really got into how he developed it, how he wrote in and was able to get the actors he wanted. He explained how he ended up going with it as a tragedy and was able to go with it where he wanted with the thought in mind that regular TV shows avoid this kind of thing partly because they want as many revenue generating seasons as possible. So they end up compromising quality for something that’s just sustainable writing wise.

Either way, thanks for resurrecting the thread. A great show!
Old 05-18-2020, 06:32 AM

Oh, and I wanted to Add that Alan Alda was a great pick for Pete’s “uncle. What a surprising pick!

Steve Bushemi is awesome in this as well as Edy Falco.
Old 05-18-2020, 08:18 AM

De Blasio was an unexpected surprise too.

I watched the last two episodes last night and woke up this morning still thinking about it. The show really haunts you. Last thing I saw that stuck with me well past the credits was The Lighthouse.

Going to watch those interviews with Louis CK later this week.

Last edited by QuickSilver; 05-18-2020 at 08:19 AM.
Old 05-18-2020, 09:40 AM

I like Louis CKs work and thought his recent special sincerely was one of his best.

But Horace and Pete was not very good. The dialogue topics felt very fake and scripted. It felt like they were trying to discuss heavy issues in an inauthentic way.

His other TV shows and his specials are much better.
Old 05-18-2020, 06:03 PM

I only missed the second half of the two parter which I think was 5&6. I didnt see when Uncle Pete met his end. It doesn’t seem to be on YouTube. If anyone has a link I’d like it, especially since I loved Alan Alada’s part so much. He eerily reminds me of a mix of people I know.