Old 09-25-2016, 12:15 AM

Great. We're in agreement. People found guilty in the bridgegate trial should be punished.

It seemed at points that you were trying to say more than that, but if that's all you're saying I won't disagree with you. I can't imagine who would disagree with idea that people guilty of crimes should be punished as a general rule.

Last edited by Lance Turbo; 09-25-2016 at 12:15 AM.
Old 09-27-2016, 08:13 PM

Wildstein testifies that Christie knew.
Old 09-27-2016, 11:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Turbo View Post
I wish I could believe that this will ultimately result in a conviction of Christie. Does anyone not think he's guilty? The problem is proving it.
Old 10-05-2016, 11:28 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Christie hates being called a fat fuck.
Funny how all those Republicans bravely fighting political correctness can't take it.
Quote:
You don’t call Chris Christie fat and get away with it.

Staffers for the portly New Jersey governor were ordered to freeze out elected officials who offended their boss — including a county freeholder who called him a “fat f–k” in the wake of Hurricane Sandy, it emerged Wednesday at the Bridgegate trial.
Old 10-05-2016, 11:34 PM

The freeholder was contacted by the local media and disputes the claim about him calling the governor a "fat fuck." He actually called him a fat motherfucker.
Old 10-05-2016, 11:47 PM
And Full Contact Origami
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
I wish I could believe that this will ultimately result in a conviction of Christie. Does anyone not think he's guilty? The problem is proving it.
That testimony, even if believed, does not establish his guilt of a criminal offense.

Last edited by Bricker; 10-05-2016 at 11:48 PM.
Old 10-06-2016, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bricker View Post
That testimony, even if believed, does not establish his guilt of a criminal offense.
His people are facing criminal charges. Are you saying that his ORDERING those actions is not a criminal offense, or just KNOWING about the actions is not a criminal offense? Or what, exactly?
Old 10-06-2016, 09:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Piper View Post
Sorry, but I'm with Saint Cad here
Well, if there are two people who need the modified version, I'll go to the trouble of providing it:

Quote:
Gov. Chris Christie of New Jersey knew that three of his top officials were involved in a plan to shut down lanes leading to the George Washington Bridge as it was happening and that the closings were intended to punish a local mayor for declining to support him, federal prosecutors said on Monday.
(Is there a way to get blink tags to work here? I really think this is a case that calls for them....)

Last edited by Steve MB; 10-06-2016 at 09:26 AM.
Old 10-13-2016, 12:12 PM

Christie one step closer to indictment.

Let's hope the prosecutor has some guts.
Old 10-21-2016, 03:12 PM

Bridget Kelly, who was famously thrown under the bus by Christie, reaches out from under there drag Christie along with her.

link
Old 11-04-2016, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Two former allies of New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie have been convicted in a plot to use traffic jams at the George Washington Bridge for political retaliation.

Bridget Kelly, Christie’s former deputy chief of staff, and Bill Baroni, a Christie appointee to the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, were found guilty Friday of all counts against them.
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2016/11/...rations-day-5/
Old 11-04-2016, 11:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastTense View Post
Your link doesn't work, maybe they changed it.

Here's one that currently works.
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2016/11/...baroni-guilty/
Old 11-04-2016, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
Your link doesn't work, maybe they changed it.

Here's one that currently works.
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2016/11/...baroni-guilty/
I'm not sorry they were convicted, and I hope they can bring the Governor down too.

However, holy crap, I don't think they need to get crucified:

Quote:
The most serious charges carry up to 20 years in prison.
Old 03-29-2017, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Two former allies of Gov. Chris Christie were sentenced Wednesday to prison terms for their roles in the George Washington Bridge lane closures, a bizarre political stunt that was designed to help the governor’s career but ended up halting his rapid march toward the White House.

Bill Baroni, a former Republican state senator who served as Christie’s top appointee at the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, was sentenced to a 24 months of incarceration. Bridget Anne Kelly, Baroni’s co-defendant and a former deputy chief of staff to Christie, was sentenced in the afternoon to 18 months in prison.
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/0...tencing-236638
Old 03-31-2017, 01:32 PM

Good. I hope they enjoy their little vacation. Assholes.
Old 01-14-2020, 08:30 PM

The OP's title:
Bridge-gate Trial: FINALLY--with a thread started over three years ago.

Not quite:
Quote:
The Supreme Court seemed prepared Tuesday to reverse the convictions of two state officials behind the Bridgegate scandal that created monumental traffic jams in 2013 on the George Washington Bridge and tarnished the image of then-New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie.

Several of the justices appeared to be skeptical of the prosecution's theory of the case that the two committed fraud by lying about their reason for closing the bridge. The officials said they needed to conduct a study of traffic patterns, but a jury found that the real reason was to punish the mayor of a community served by the bridge who refused to endorse the Republican governor's re-election.
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/sup...-case-n1115541

I'm curious: any idea of what they have been doing since then and who is paying their legal bills?

Last edited by PastTense; 01-14-2020 at 08:34 PM.
Old 05-07-2020, 10:50 AM
SDSAB

SCOTUS reverses the Federal convictions of the two Christie aides: https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/07/polit...ion/index.html
Old 05-07-2020, 11:38 AM

SCOTUS is legalizing corruption. Bonkers. And just hurtling us even faster towards the time when Americans don't see the SCOTUS as an actual arbitrator of law and the Constitution, but rather just another political institution serving powerful and wealthy interests. Also known as the end of a functioning democratic republic system.

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 05-07-2020 at 11:40 AM.
Old 05-07-2020, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
SCOTUS is legalizing corruption. Bonkers. And just hurtling us even faster towards the time when Americans don't see the SCOTUS as an actual arbitrator of law and the Constitution, but rather just another political institution serving powerful and wealthy interests. Also known as the end of a functioning democratic republic system.
I *think* they are saying federal law currently does not cover this. They are not saying there shouldn't be a law for it nor are they saying these people can not be prosecuted under state law (assuming there is state law that covers it).

I agree it is alarming. From what I gathered the Supreme Court basically said these people totally did what is alleged and what is alleged appears wrong but federal law does not cover this. State law should. It's up to them.

Sucks.
"I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid; I meant, that stupid persons are generally Conservative. I believe that to be so obvious and undeniable a fact that I hardly think any hon. Gentleman will question it." ~John Stuart Mill
Old 05-07-2020, 02:12 PM

Yeah, the fact that the decision was unanimous suggests that partisanship wasn't the main issue.

The problem is that our Constitutional Republic is built on the idea that in the end Democracy will cure all ills, that corruption will be fought at the ballot box, and the public will demand that anti-corruption laws be passed. The problem is that those rules no longer apply. The public has decided that corruption is just fine so long as the politician hates/hurts the people they want them to.
Old 05-07-2020, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
Shame on Ginsburg, Kagan, Sotomayor and Breyer for their naked corruption and partisanship. They should all be impeached.
"I don't debate about God anymore. Sooner or later you just figure out there are some guys who don't believe in God and they can prove He doesn't exist, and some other guys who do believe in God and they can prove He does exist. The argument stopped being about God a long time ago and now it's about who is smarter; and honestly I don't care." - Donald Miller
Old 05-07-2020, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whack-a-Mole View Post
I *think* they are saying federal law currently does not cover this. They are not saying there shouldn't be a law for it nor are they saying these people can not be prosecuted under state law (assuming there is state law that covers it).

I agree it is alarming. From what I gathered the Supreme Court basically said these people totally did what is alleged and what is alleged appears wrong but federal law does not cover this. State law should. It's up to them.

Sucks.
Agreed. If you read the unanimous opinion, it is pretty straightforward why this type of corruption is not covered under the law. The Government is attempting a very nuanced position regarding taking "something of value" as written in the statute.

As Kagan noted, under the statute as written, if you play a prank on a government employee, you could be charged under the government's interpretation because you "stole" the productive work time from the government.

This has been the deal for at least 20 years. If Congress wants to write a general corruption statute (and I'm not sure they should; this was a NJ thing that NJ should solve) then it can.
Old 05-07-2020, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraVires View Post
As Kagan noted, under the statute as written, if you play a prank on a government employee, you could be charged under the government's interpretation because you "stole" the productive work time from the government.
I see why the SCOTUS did what they did and (not that anyone cares) I agree with them.

For argument's sake I would suggest this is where prosecutorial discretion should come into play in an ideal world. (A debate over whether that discretion is a good thing or not is another debate.)

Was it a kid that phone pranked a government worker and caused three minutes of lostr time or did someone spread feathers all over a highway that caused it to close and needed a dozen workers a day to clean it up?

Both caused the government to "spend money" because a prank was pulled but the degree should matter.
"I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid; I meant, that stupid persons are generally Conservative. I believe that to be so obvious and undeniable a fact that I hardly think any hon. Gentleman will question it." ~John Stuart Mill
Old 05-09-2020, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whack-a-Mole View Post
I see why the SCOTUS did what they did and (not that anyone cares) I agree with them.

For argument's sake I would suggest this is where prosecutorial discretion should come into play in an ideal world. (A debate over whether that discretion is a good thing or not is another debate.)

Was it a kid that phone pranked a government worker and caused three minutes of lostr time or did someone spread feathers all over a highway that caused it to close and needed a dozen workers a day to clean it up?

Both caused the government to "spend money" because a prank was pulled but the degree should matter.
Ok, we'll leave prosecutorial discretion for another day.

Although, I might agree with your distinction if you proposed it as law (and made the law state more specific boundaries instead of leaving it up to discretion) the opinion adheres to the plain text of the law and over twenty years of case law interpreting the statute.

I have to convert "something of value" for my own use. That's the best reading of it. It's a bribery, kickback, or self-dealing "something of value." Bribes and kickbacks are obvious. As Kagan noted, if I am the mayor of a small town and have the city workers come and do my yardwork, then I am getting "something of value." I would have otherwise have to have paid out of pocket for a kid to cut my grass or expend my time in doing so. Again, pretty clear the economic value.

But if I close down a bridge to fuck with the mayor of another town, I don't get "something of value." Yes, the government had to hire more toll workers, and hire an engineer to do the bullshit "study" I recommended, and I got personal satisfaction (an intangible value) from fucking with the other mayor, but those arguments only prove that the application is too broad.

Every little passive aggressive jab against the government costs it increased employee time, and every time I fuck with the government it gives me personal satisfaction. If those were enough to come within the law's reach, then there is not much conduct directed against the government that would not come under that law.

But I do agree with you. This is an outrage and politics at its worst. NJ should have a law on the books that has criminal and civil penalties for this. The fact that these government employees felt that they could freely email each other about using commuter traffic as a political game angers me as a free citizen. At least after this incident, perhaps the aggrieved parties can get money compensation, or if not, make sure that it doesn't happen in the future. But I'm not sure that a one-size-fits-all from the feds is needed.