Old 05-21-2020, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminus Est View Post
Seeing Gideon in human form is always a pleasure, this time as a figment of Gary's imagination. I thought that maybe Gary was in a virtual reality, like Zari a couple of seasons ago, but I realized that it was different when Gideon rabbit-hopped her way across the deck.
Eventually, I realized that Gideon wasn't telling Gary anything that he didn't already know.
Old 05-26-2020, 08:07 AM

S05E14: The One Where We're Trapped on TV

BREAKING FREE - After Charlie does the one thing that goes against her nature when it comes to her sisters, she tries to protect the Legends by scattering them in different television shows. Of course, in true Legends style some can't just be blissfully ignorant and happy but figure out a way to end up messing with the system.

The One Where We're Trapped on TV promo: https://youtu.be/LaefD2839LY
Old 05-26-2020, 10:16 AM

Quote:

Sara winning beer pong while blind was, if not epic, perfectly in line with the show and the episode's chosen genre. She seems to function well enough without sight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdave View Post
I was assuming the whole time that they were going to show her losing the match, then revealing that was a premonition, then show her using her premonitions to anticipate Dionysus' moves and wind the match. I was kind of caught flat-footed when she just won the match outright. I think they were leaning into the blind warrior trope that Sara briefly referenced in an earlier episode, when she made a comment about how the League of Assassins trained everyone to flight blind-folded.
I'm fairly certain she did use her powers it just wasn't displayed that well. She shook Dion's hand just before the game and there was a brief pause there where she smirked. She knew exactly how the match would go.

Can I just say, it's refreshing to have a show avoid the trope of "Person gets premonition of the future, and tries to prevent it only to cause the events to happen." (Looking at you Flash). We had three episodes of future-sight Sara and we got:
1) Sara able to prevent the future from happening.
2) Playing it for laughs ("Zari, hide your fork")
3) Seeing a terrible future, but realizing it had to play out that way and not try to stop it.
Old 05-26-2020, 08:43 PM
Charter Member

I love that the men on Star Trip wore shorts. And Caty Lotz's Shatner impression...

Brian
Old 05-27-2020, 02:08 AM

Fates be praised! This show is just getting better and better.

First we get a 1984-style dystopia, with Mona literally rewriting history. Which leads right into the new opening credits, featuring the Fates, with a new theme song. Then we see what's happened to the Legends. They've been scattered into different TV shows, each a parody of real TV series:
  • Ultimate Buds - Friends
  • Highcastle Abbey - Downton Abbey
  • Star Trip - Star Trek
Kudos to everyone in production, who managed to recreate the look of each show. Not just the sets and costumes, but also the writing, the music, and even the cinematography. Ultimate Buds had the flat sitcom-style lighting. Highcastle Abbey was that lush and dramatic. Star Trip had that garish 1960's scifi look. Plus each show title was a double entendre.

The ultimate show, of course, had to be Mr. Parker's Cul-de-Sac. And they had an original song for that, as well.

The MVP of the episode was Mona, who inadvertently touched off a revolution against the Fates.
Old 05-27-2020, 09:50 PM

Quote:

First we get a 1984-style dystopia, with Mona literally rewriting history. Which leads right into the new opening credits, featuring the Fates, with a new theme song. Then we see what's happened to the Legends. They've been scattered into different TV shows, each a parody of real TV series:
  • Star Trip - Star Trek
Kudos to everyone in production, who managed to recreate the look of each show. Not just the sets and costumes, but also the writing, the music, and even the cinematography. Ultimate Buds had the flat sitcom-style lighting. Highcastle Abbey was that lush and dramatic. Star Trip had that garish 1960's scifi look. Plus each show title was a double entendre.

The ultimate show, of course, had to be Mr. Parker's Cul-de-Sac. And they had an original song for that, as well.

The MVP of the episode was Mona, who inadvertently touched off a revolution against the Fates.
I was delighted to see Mona back.
Old 05-27-2020, 10:11 PM

Quote:

• Star Trip - Star Trek

How can you leave out Dhon!
Old 05-27-2020, 10:22 PM

I continue to be impressed by this show. They seem to take a lot more risks than any of the other Arrowverse shows, and they seem to get a lot more creative. Even when some elements of the show don't quite work, they're at least interesting failures.

On the other hand, it's not even really a DC show anymore. They've almost given up on even maintaining the pretense that many of the characters have powers - especially poor Nate. Presumably, his steel form is a really expensive FX. But even when they remember it, somehow it doesn't actually seem to matter to the plot - he was apparently somehow eaten by zombies in the last episode, even after early in the episode he was clearly invulnerable to them.

And I can't remember the last time they actually introduced a character or plot element from the comics.

Still, that's really a minor quibble. I'm not a purist. Overall, I'm happy with the drift the show has taken since the Vandal Savage vs. Rip Hunter - Timemaster! storyline. It's easily my favorite of the Arrowverse shows. Now, if only they had the budget for some half-way decent FX...
Old 05-29-2020, 07:56 AM

Not that I really expect a lot of consistency, but how is it that the Fates maintained their god-like powers? Dionysus/Dion got worship from the frat boys, but what keeps the ladies going? Random mentions of "it was fate"?
Old 05-29-2020, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folacin View Post
Not that I really expect a lot of consistency, but how is it that the Fates maintained their god-like powers? Dionysus/Dion got worship from the frat boys, but what keeps the ladies going? Random mentions of "it was fate"?
They didn't retain their god-like powers. They still had some divine attributes, but they couldn't actually shape Fates until the regained possession of the pieces of the Loom of Fate (which is somehow a set of rings???). Once they got the Loom back, they bootstrapped themselves back into full godhood by reshaping the Fate of everyone in the world so that they all worship the Fates.

I think.

I really enjoy the show, but, yeah, plotting, consistency, and continuity are not exactly its strengths.

Last edited by gdave; 05-29-2020 at 10:07 AM.
Old 05-29-2020, 10:57 AM

This is the show in the Arrowverse I most enjoy. It runs on the rule of funny rather than whatever the rest of the shows run on, which seems to be a lot of angst. Legends is completely trope aware and has a lot of fun with it.
Old 05-29-2020, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folacin View Post
Dion was pretty powerful - immortal, able to create magical beer, etc., with only the unknowing worship of a few dozen frat boys. How much belief does it take to power a Fate - apparently not that much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdave View Post
They didn't retain their god-like powers. They still had some divine attributes, but they couldn't actually shape Fates until the regained possession of the pieces of the Loom of Fate (which is somehow a set of rings???). Once they got the Loom back, they bootstrapped themselves back into full godhood by reshaping the Fate of everyone in the world so that they all worship the Fates.

I think.

I really enjoy the show, but, yeah, plotting, consistency, and continuity are not exactly its strengths.
I think the rings are the Loom in disguise, and for convenience of the viewer, we still see it as the rings, while it can fully act as the Loom. But my degree in Hellenistic god artifacts is only an Associate one, so I could be wrong.
Old 05-29-2020, 06:59 PM

Given how many times modern people, worldwide, invoke fate, destiny, "que sera, sera", etc, I'd say the Fates retained enough power to sustain them until they got the Loom back. They needed the Loom to truly remake the world in their image, and then it need all three of them to work.
Old 06-02-2020, 08:32 AM

S05E15: Swan Thong

SEASON FINALE - Still controlled by the Fates, the Legends find themselves in 1984-esque world, they soon discover that things aren't as they thought they would be. The Legends must convince the civilians to trust them and stand up for their right to choose, but the Fates don't make it easy by resurrecting the Encores once again.

Swan Thong promo: https://youtu.be/ipx8GNoXcoI
Old Yesterday, 04:40 AM

I can't believe they hired Sisq just so they could get him to sing "The Thong Song" over the climactic battle versus the Encores. I mean, this is the type of show that would do it, I just can't believe they actually went through with it.

Sara cemented herself as the most bad-ass of bad-asses when she removed the thread of Atropos herself, doing unto the Fate what the Fate had done to untold billions. What's in store for her next season? Aliens?

I really missed Zari 1.0 and I'm sorry that she got sent back into the Totem. We're stuck with Zari 2.0 and her strange fascination with John Constantine. At least we got Behrad back.

Legends of Tomorrow is the only DC-CW show that able to complete a proper, entire season (Arrow doesn't count). I'd say this was probably one of the best season, ranking just below Season 2.
Old Yesterday, 08:41 AM

It finished strong.

Mick's daughter turned into an excellent character. It was only last week, I realized she was Penny on the new Lost in Space. Mina Sundwall.
SPOILER:
I'm going to miss Maisie, assuming she's really gone this time.