Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #201  
Old 12-23-2019, 10:22 AM
Pantastic is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 4,898
Saw it last night and thought it was a great Star Wars movie, had a lot of fun watching it and will probably rewatch it (unlike the prequels or TLJ). Don't have any problem with Palpatine bringing himself back from the dead, it already happened a bunch of times in the old Expanded Universe novels so I was expecting it to happen in the theatrical releases. I think they did about as well as could be expected with the way TLJ dropped the ball, and their biggest problem is that no one sat down and figured out a coherent story for the 3 'final' movies. (I also think that they won't be the last main series Star Wars movies).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
If there's one major complaint I have, it's that 3PO getting mind-wiped just to have R2 reload him from a backup was a copout, and it raises the question of why R2 never did that when he was mind-wiped the first time back in Episode 3.
I think that the obvious answer is that R2 started backing up C3PO's memories BECAUSE he saw C3PO get mind-wiped back in Episode 3. R2 and 3PO might bicker constantly when they're together, but R2 saw that happen once and decided 'never again'. And I disagree that it's a cop-out for someone in an action movie to take a 'this might not work' risk and have it actually work. They established that there were backups, but they might not be reliable, and then it turned out to work which happens all the time in Star Wars.
  #202  
Old 12-23-2019, 10:29 AM
DigitalC is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Obamatopia
Posts: 11,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
It's clear that Rose could have simply been Zorrii Bliss and Jannah. Jannah was especially useless and unnecessary and Rose could have just been her and done everything she did.

Is it cynical that partway through I began to think they created Jannah so Finnn could have a black girlfriend? It didn't go that way....but for a moment there....
I liked Zorrii Bliss and Jannah way more than I liked Rose in TLJ, if anyone could have been dropped it's her.
  #203  
Old 12-23-2019, 10:40 AM
Mahaloth is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: 地球
Posts: 31,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalC View Post
I liked Zorrii Bliss and Jannah way more than I liked Rose in TLJ, if anyone could have been dropped it's her.
That would have worked, too. Not have Rose in Episode VIII, but make one of them her role.
  #204  
Old 12-23-2019, 10:49 AM
Sterling Archer is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,275
There should have been a 5-minute scene at the beginning with a couple we don’t recognize who are on the run. They’ve got some black market cloning tech they’re looking to sell, but *someone* is after them. They are trying to find a buyer on some shady planet, when the man recognizes a ship that has landed and says something like, “He’s never going to stop, and it’s not us he’s after. It’s her.” Then it’s revealed they have a young girl with them, a daughter with dark hair. The woman in great desperation says, “But he can SENSE her! There’s nowhere to go!” He grimly replies “I know a place.” Then we see a brief scene of them leaving her on a desert planet, woman is screaming and crying, the man is determined to go through with it. Camera zooms into the girl’s eyes and cuts to present-time Rey, and we realize this all happened 20 years ago.

It’s not a perfect explanation, but it establishes Rey’s parents as real people we have some knowledge of and connection to, instead of just pulling a relationship with Palpatine out of thin air.
  #205  
Old 12-23-2019, 11:01 AM
ISiddiqui is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Decatur, Georgia, USA
Posts: 7,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling Archer View Post
There should have been a 5-minute scene at the beginning with a couple we don’t recognize who are on the run. They’ve got some black market cloning tech they’re looking to sell, but *someone* is after them. They are trying to find a buyer on some shady planet, when the man recognizes a ship that has landed and says something like, “He’s never going to stop, and it’s not us he’s after. It’s her.” Then it’s revealed they have a young girl with them, a daughter with dark hair. The woman in great desperation says, “But he can SENSE her! There’s nowhere to go!” He grimly replies “I know a place.” Then we see a brief scene of them leaving her on a desert planet, woman is screaming and crying, the man is determined to go through with it. Camera zooms into the girl’s eyes and cuts to present-time Rey, and we realize this all happened 20 years ago.

It’s not a perfect explanation, but it establishes Rey’s parents as real people we have some knowledge of and connection to, instead of just pulling a relationship with Palpatine out of thin air.
I'd be fine with that as the second scene. The first scene should have been Kylo Ren visiting Palpatine. The whole 1 minute of Kylo killing a bunch of people for the Wayfinder was completely extraneous. Just show Kylo flying in with the Wayfinder - you didn't need to explain how he got it.

Then when Kylo asked Palpatine about Rey, then show the parents running.
  #206  
Old 12-23-2019, 11:13 AM
Lantern is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,134
I rather liked it. For the first two thirds it was meh but the last half hour just worked and gripped me, there were some beautiful shots of the space battle from the Sith lair and of the new ships joining the battle. I liked the moment when Rey pulled out the second light saber and was moved when she called herself a Skywalker and of course the final shot with the twin suns.

Before that it was hit and miss. I found the Kylo-Rey dialogue scenes rather tiresome thought the moment when he pulls the necklace was rather clever and the light-saber battle was good. I agree the plot wasn't the greatest: going to Place X and finding object A which takes you to Place Y etc. And if they had to bring back Palpatine, I wonder if they should have kept it a proper plot twist instead of revealing it in trailers and the opening crawl.

Last edited by Lantern; 12-23-2019 at 11:13 AM.
  #207  
Old 12-23-2019, 11:17 AM
Sterling Archer is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,275
That could work too, but it would come right after Palpatine had said “You don’t know who she really is” so it would make it a little too obvious who the pursuer is. Maybe, not though, that could work.
  #208  
Old 12-23-2019, 11:20 AM
Mahaloth is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: 地球
Posts: 31,132
In the theater, I found Kylo Ren's reforged helmet kind of distractingly fake looking. I mean, the red lines in the creases looked like glowy plastic.

I mean, what was the red stuff in the cracks? Glue?
  #209  
Old 12-23-2019, 11:23 AM
Mahaloth is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: 地球
Posts: 31,132
Edit: I keep getting double-posts lately.

Last edited by Mahaloth; 12-23-2019 at 11:24 AM.
  #210  
Old 12-23-2019, 11:25 AM
Sterling Archer is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,275
The helmet was stupid and pointless to bring back. That was a petty choice by Abrams who didn’t like how Rian mocked Kylo’s wanna-be-Vader helmet. He should have let that one go.
  #211  
Old 12-23-2019, 11:30 AM
Jophiel's Avatar
Jophiel is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Chicago suburbia
Posts: 20,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
In the theater, I found Kylo Ren's reforged helmet kind of distractingly fake looking. I mean, the red lines in the creases looked like glowy plastic.
It made me think of a Laser Tag prop with the neon red lines all over it
  #212  
Old 12-23-2019, 11:32 AM
Mahaloth is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: 地球
Posts: 31,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling Archer View Post
The helmet was stupid and pointless to bring back. That was a petty choice by Abrams who didn’t like how Rian mocked Kylo’s wanna-be-Vader helmet. He should have let that one go.
Yeah, once he got rid of the helmet, that should have been it. No reason at all for him to wear it. I think he wore it for 2-3 scenes total?
  #213  
Old 12-23-2019, 11:33 AM
Darren Garrison's Avatar
Darren Garrison is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 13,893
I finally watched Jojo Rabbit last night, and the contrast really drove home to me what a hopeless mess of a childish movie RoS really was.



Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTheVool View Post
-Where were the cool new ship/droid designs? One thing we can usually depend on from a Star Wars movie is SOME iconic image. I guess the new little droid who followed BB8 around was kinda cute
He's the first (IIRC) non-humanoid droid speaking English instead of blip-bloop-blops that the humans all understand anyway.
  #214  
Old 12-23-2019, 11:47 AM
digs's Avatar
digs is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: West of Wauwatosa
Posts: 11,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post
...On the way out after the film, we saw two people from behind. The female was dressed as Princess Leia from the first film, and the boy was dressed in what appeared to be a cheap stormtrooper Halloween costume (without the helmet). Since we were behind them and a distance away, we couldn't tell their ages; but the boy seemed to be about 10-year-old size or less. The female was taller, and may have been a big sister or something.
If you'd gotten closer, you might have heard her say "Aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?"

I sat behind a group of 20-somethings, and most of them had spent a lot of time and money on their costumes. After the movie, as I walked past, I wondered aloud how hardcore fans liked it. Got a grinning thumbs up from a well-dressed Obi-EwanMcGregor-Wan.
  #215  
Old 12-23-2019, 12:40 PM
Lantern is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,134
I have been thinking about the decision to bring back Palpatine and I think it makes a certain amount of sense. They needed a villain and once they killed off Snoke who else did they have ? It was too late to introduce a brand new villain. They could have made Kylo a full-fledged villain but it was pretty clear that he was set up for a redemption arc.

Once they brought back Palpatine it then made sense to make Rey his granddaughter. It sets up the whole theme of family being a matter of choice rather than birth which was well done IMO and gives the film its name.

What they should have done was give more backstory about Palpatine, his children and his resurrection by cutting the plot fluff and the uncompelling new characters. I also think Palpatine's return should have been a reveal in the middle of the film.

I understand that Palpatine/Rey makes the whole film feel like a retread, which was also a problem in Force Awakens, but with the right execution I think it could have worked well.
  #216  
Old 12-23-2019, 12:44 PM
Sterling Archer is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,275
I noticed they used more CGI ships in this one than ever before. What happened to relying on models? This resulted in some shots that just didn’t feel like Star Wars, where the scale seemed off. One shot in particular of an A-wing doing a slow dive down into the trees where the Resistance base was setup was very noticeable. There was another one with the Falcon lifting off from a forest near the beginning where the size of the ship kept changing depending on camera angle.
  #217  
Old 12-23-2019, 12:47 PM
ISiddiqui is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Decatur, Georgia, USA
Posts: 7,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling Archer View Post
That could work too, but it would come right after Palpatine had said “You don’t know who she really is” so it would make it a little too obvious who the pursuer is. Maybe, not though, that could work.
Just don't have him say that line . Just have him smirk and then cut to the parents running.
  #218  
Old 12-23-2019, 12:51 PM
Quimby is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: NJ
Posts: 8,601
This movie and the new trilogy in general did something amazing: it made me appreciate the Prequels more. I always liked Revenge of the Sith more than most but now I appreciate the totality of the three movies even more. They were executed terribly and had terrible casting and acting but at least they were about something and had a story that was interesting and had something to say. Rise of Skywalker had none of those things.
  #219  
Old 12-23-2019, 12:51 PM
ISiddiqui is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Decatur, Georgia, USA
Posts: 7,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantern View Post
and gives the film its name.
Tbh, I hated the name. Though it did make me think Ben would survive and create something lasting as opposed to Rey adopting the Skywalker name.

During the movie someone called Rey our last hope, and I immediately though, whoa... that would have been a great name for the movie. Kind of dovetailing the (given) name for the first movie. 'The Last Hope' ending the saga started by "A New Hope".
  #220  
Old 12-23-2019, 12:54 PM
N9IWP is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Southeast MN
Posts: 6,538
There was Yaddle and now the child in the Mandalorian.
vs Mace Windu and possibly some others.

Brian
  #221  
Old 12-23-2019, 02:01 PM
bump is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 19,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Exactly right. It seemed like TLJ's problem is that it was trying to erase things from TFA that Rian Johnson didn't like and then ROS was trying to erase things from TLJ that JJ Abrams didn't like and it make it completely muddled.

JJ seemingly wanted a trilogy of fun action blockbusters calling back to the original trilogy, while Rian wanted a trilogy focused on 'grey Jedi'. Either of those trilogies would have been better than the directors going back and forth and cutting each other off at the knees.
Am I wrong in assuming that the first 3 (4,5 and 6), and the prequels (1,2 and 3) were overseen by George Lucas in some sort of executive overlord type capacity, when he wasn't actually directing them himself?

I think that continuity helped the other ones- as otherwise awful as the prequels were, they at least had a coherent progression of what the movies were supposed to do- introduce Anakin and Obi Wan, show how Anakin turned to the dark side, and set the stage for the second trilogy. In that sense, they were very coherent.

But the final trilogy wasn't, and I suspect it's due to a lack of proper executive overlordship / vision. I mean, I'm astounded and aghast that in such a big dollar movie property with such a huge fan base and amount of established canon, that TPTB at Disney let the actual directors have such a say in the actual story that was being told across the trilogy. I mean, I guarantee that even though ESB and ROTJ weren't directed by Lucas himself, that Kirshner or Marquand wasn't going to be allowed to derail the story ol' George was trying to tell.
  #222  
Old 12-23-2019, 02:11 PM
Ashtura is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Delaware, USA
Posts: 2,969
Doesn't force heal break star wars as much as the holdo maneuver? Think about if this was the norm in the previous star wars movies. Almost everyone that died except maybe Jango Fett could have been force healed. QuI Gonn, the assassin Obi Wan was trying to interrogate, Shmi Skywalker, hell probably Padme too, among many others. It can't be that hard to learn if Ben picked it up after seeing Rey doing it once.

Last edited by Ashtura; 12-23-2019 at 02:12 PM.
  #223  
Old 12-23-2019, 02:15 PM
Pantastic is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 4,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
Am I wrong in assuming that the first 3 (4,5 and 6), and the prequels (1,2 and 3) were overseen by George Lucas in some sort of executive overlord type capacity, when he wasn't actually directing them himself?
The original Trilogy was driven by George Lucas but he had a lot of people who would disagree with him and that he'd listen to. Most notably, other people had a huge influence on the final edit - this video gives a good explanation of edits of ANH https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFMyMxMYDNk . The Prequels were pretty much exactly what Lucas wanted with little oversight or editing that he didn't want. The final trilogy had no direct influence from him at all.

Quote:
But the final trilogy wasn't, and I suspect it's due to a lack of proper executive overlordship / vision. I mean, I'm astounded and aghast that in such a big dollar movie property with such a huge fan base and amount of established canon, that TPTB at Disney let the actual directors have such a say in the actual story that was being told across the trilogy.
I agree with this, having someone give broad story ideas is such a basic thing to overlook.
  #224  
Old 12-23-2019, 02:17 PM
polar bear is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtura View Post
Doesn't force heal break star wars as much as the holdo maneuver? Think about if this was the norm in the previous star wars movies. Almost everyone that died except maybe Jango Fett could have been force healed. QuI Gonn, the assassin Obi Wan was trying to interrogate, Shmi Skywalker, hell probably Padme too, among many others. It can't be that hard to learn if Ben picked it up after seeing Rey doing it once.
Better yet, if they can do that...why are they keeping themselves busy with galactic politics, instead of hanging around at hospitals.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn moto g(6) met Tapatalk
  #225  
Old 12-23-2019, 02:31 PM
digs's Avatar
digs is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: West of Wauwatosa
Posts: 11,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Tbh, I hated the name. Though it did make me think Ben would survive and create something lasting as opposed to Rey adopting the Skywalker name.
When the name was revealed, I squinked my kids out by saying "Maybe the last Skywalker is... inside Rey." "Eeew, dad, Luke was like her grandfather being her trainer... just go away."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtura View Post
Doesn't force heal break star wars as much as the holdo maneuver? Think about if this was the norm in the previous star wars movies...
But I totally bought the surprise on Ben's face when she stopped that transport ship and then force-lightning'ed it. Both JJ and Rian showed Rey gaining Force talents amazingly fast. Which is why, even though I loved her parents being nobodies, the Palpatine lineage was needed to explain part of that. And the healing... doesn't bother me if Rey is the first that can do that.

Maybe she'll complete her own training while she gets some sun(s) on Tatooine, then start training the next generation of Jedi.

Last edited by digs; 12-23-2019 at 02:32 PM.
  #226  
Old 12-23-2019, 02:33 PM
Sterling Archer is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtura View Post
Doesn't force heal break star wars as much as the holdo maneuver? Think about if this was the norm in the previous star wars movies. Almost everyone that died except maybe Jango Fett could have been force healed. QuI Gonn, the assassin Obi Wan was trying to interrogate, Shmi Skywalker, hell probably Padme too, among many others. It can't be that hard to learn if Ben picked it up after seeing Rey doing it once.


I actually liked the force healing because Luke uses it quite a bit in the EU books. I mean, it was way faster and more effective in this movie but I figured that’s just the dramatics of showing things in a movie instead of describing in a book. Or maybe Rey is just really talented at it.

Plus Ben has to give his entire life to effectively heal Rey so it’s not super OP and we can’t assume every Jedi could have done that.
  #227  
Old 12-23-2019, 02:38 PM
ISiddiqui is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Decatur, Georgia, USA
Posts: 7,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
But I totally bought the surprise on Ben's face when she stopped that transport ship and then force-lightning'ed it.
I totally rolled my eyes at that. Mostly because Yoda had to use a good deal of effort to lift a stationary X-wing from the bottom of a swamp. But Rey just reaches up and grabs a transport that is speeding away like nothing...

It even makes no sense within the film. Rey destroys the transport with force lightening, but Emperor Palpatine force lightenings the Rebel fleet after sucking out Force Dyad energy and it just knocks out their engines for a few minutes with no other ill effects.
  #228  
Old 12-23-2019, 02:43 PM
Sterling Archer is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
It even makes no sense within the film. Rey destroys the transport with force lightening, but Emperor Palpatine force lightenings the Rebel fleet after sucking out Force Dyad energy and it just knocks out their engines for a few minutes with no other ill effects.


Maybe because shields?? Agree that is a stretch
  #229  
Old 12-23-2019, 02:52 PM
Lantern is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,134
I think Palpatine was targetting hundreds, maybe thousands of ships at the same time so naturally the damage on any one ship would have been much less than what Rey was able to do to a single ship. The distance would have also been greater.

I do agree that the elasticity of Jedi powers is quite annoying, not least Luke's interplanetary holographic projection in the last film.
  #230  
Old 12-23-2019, 03:30 PM
DigitalC is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Obamatopia
Posts: 11,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantern View Post
I think Palpatine was targetting hundreds, maybe thousands of ships at the same time so naturally the damage on any one ship would have been much less than what Rey was able to do to a single ship. The distance would have also been greater.
Also he was trying to avoid his own ships. At least I did not see any Star Destroyers falling.
  #231  
Old 12-23-2019, 03:40 PM
Darren Garrison's Avatar
Darren Garrison is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 13,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtura View Post
Doesn't force heal break star wars as much as the holdo maneuver?
It is right up there with teleportation of themselves and objects and with levitating themselves (all past Jedi--even in the animated series--just fall, with dignity.)
  #232  
Old 12-23-2019, 03:52 PM
bump is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 19,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantastic View Post
I agree with this, having someone give broad story ideas is such a basic thing to overlook.
That's really what I was getting at; the first two trilogies were at least coherent across the three movies, even if they weren't all that great, while these last three were dreadfully out of sync.
  #233  
Old 12-24-2019, 03:28 PM
Quercus alba is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Upper Midwest
Posts: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
...
Did anyone else notice the female couple share a kiss during the celebration at the Resistance base? I thought it was a nice touch and an overdue acknowledgement that, despite what George Lucas said ages ago, gay people do exist in Star Wars.
....
And easily edited out for marketing to repressive countries.
https://deadline.com/2019/12/star-wa...ut-1202816684/
  #234  
Old 12-24-2019, 05:29 PM
Mahaloth is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: 地球
Posts: 31,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
Did anyone else notice the female couple share a kiss during the celebration at the Resistance base? I thought it was a nice touch and an overdue acknowledgement that, despite what George Lucas said ages ago, gay people do exist in Star Wars.
What did George Lucas say years ago?
  #235  
Old 12-24-2019, 05:30 PM
Mahaloth is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: 地球
Posts: 31,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quercus alba View Post
And easily edited out for marketing to repressive countries.
https://deadline.com/2019/12/star-wa...ut-1202816684/
I heard they did this. Surprised it was not edited in China. I barely noticed the moment in the movie and if it was a quick shot/take, I guess they just remove it.
  #236  
Old 12-25-2019, 11:52 AM
Kent Clark's Avatar
Kent Clark is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Posts: 28,013
I've been avoiding this thread until the family and I finally saw it last night. I was 25 when A New Hope premiered and I thoroughly enjoyed it for what it was: a good guy/bad guy western in space with a dash of coming-of-age thrown in. The original trilogy was all about the protagonist growing up, the second trilogy was all about him not growing up.

I'll say this for Episode IX. It's one of the rare movies where I can tell you the exact point where it went from "a lot of holes in it, but generally pretty good," to "total train wreck." I have to admire that kind of bright-line clarity,
  #237  
Old 12-25-2019, 11:59 AM
Darren Garrison's Avatar
Darren Garrison is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 13,893
I'd put that point about 30 seconds in with Palpatine's monologuing.
  #238  
Old 12-26-2019, 02:46 PM
Mahaloth is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: 地球
Posts: 31,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Clark View Post

I'll say this for Episode IX. It's one of the rare movies where I can tell you the exact point where it went from "a lot of holes in it, but generally pretty good," to "total train wreck." I have to admire that kind of bright-line clarity,
Is it when Rey turned up and finally met Palpatine?
  #239  
Old 12-26-2019, 06:49 PM
Left Hand of Dorkness's Avatar
Left Hand of Dorkness is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: at the right hand of cool
Posts: 42,795
1) The Last Jedi set up a wonderful movie where the merest remains of the Resistance and the merest remains of the First Order are at one another's throats in a universe where a lot of people are suddenly realizing their power. I really would've liked to have seen that movie instead of seeing Yet Another Planet-Buster Destroyed By Scrappy Heroes (now with more planet-busters!).
2) Palpatine didn't make any goddamned sense, nor did his plan.

But I still had a lot of fun.

Some things I haven't seen mentioned yet:
3) "Dad?" "I know" was the bestest call-back in the history of callbacks, repeating and recontextualizing Solo's line just perfectly. I loved the hell out of that.
4) When Ben got the light saber from Rey, he gave this little apologetic shrug to his ex-besties before murdering them, and that shrug was hilarious.
5) Same thing with Poe's little flirty head-waggle to his ex and her responding head-shake shoot-down and his accepting shrug. That was one of the funnier jokes in the series.
6) The image of Rey crossing her lightsabers as the Emperor shoots lightning at her has the makings of an excellent "OK BOOMER" meme, as soon as spoilers are allowed.
7) When Luke raised his old ship out of the water, his right hand gestured, but his left hand was off-screen. I leaned over and told my wife, "His other hand's holding a White Russian." The Luke Abides.
8) I like how Rey is so conflicted about whether to kill the Emperor--but she turns around and casually dispatches a horde of Imperial Guards or whoever those red-robed bastards were. They're mooks, their deaths don't push you to the dark side, apparently.

Abrams is a hot mess, and I cordially dislike most of the stuff he does, and I hate how he made Rey a Palpatine, and he missed a lot of slow-pitches from The Last Jedi IMO--but all that said, I was pretty satisfied with the movie.

Last edited by Left Hand of Dorkness; 12-26-2019 at 06:50 PM.
  #240  
Old 12-26-2019, 07:15 PM
Darren Garrison's Avatar
Darren Garrison is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 13,893
Some people are complaining about the movie being Tran-phobic. (Gotta say that having an actor that died before filming for the movie began have more screen time to you can't be great for your ego.)
  #241  
Old 12-26-2019, 07:40 PM
FlikTheBlue is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
1) The Last Jedi set up a wonderful movie where the merest remains of the Resistance and the merest remains of the First Order are at one another's throats in a universe where a lot of people are suddenly realizing their power. I really would've liked to have seen that movie instead of seeing Yet Another Planet-Buster Destroyed By Scrappy Heroes (now with more planet-busters!).
2) Palpatine didn't make any goddamned sense, nor did his plan.

But I still had a lot of fun.

Some things I haven't seen mentioned yet:
3) "Dad?" "I know" was the bestest call-back in the history of callbacks, repeating and recontextualizing Solo's line just perfectly. I loved the hell out of that.
4) When Ben got the light saber from Rey, he gave this little apologetic shrug to his ex-besties before murdering them, and that shrug was hilarious.
5) Same thing with Poe's little flirty head-waggle to his ex and her responding head-shake shoot-down and his accepting shrug. That was one of the funnier jokes in the series.
6) The image of Rey crossing her lightsabers as the Emperor shoots lightning at her has the makings of an excellent "OK BOOMER" meme, as soon as spoilers are allowed.
7) When Luke raised his old ship out of the water, his right hand gestured, but his left hand was off-screen. I leaned over and told my wife, "His other hand's holding a White Russian." The Luke Abides.
8) I like how Rey is so conflicted about whether to kill the Emperor--but she turns around and casually dispatches a horde of Imperial Guards or whoever those red-robed bastards were. They're mooks, their deaths don't push you to the dark side, apparently.

Abrams is a hot mess, and I cordially dislike most of the stuff he does, and I hate how he made Rey a Palpatine, and he missed a lot of slow-pitches from The Last Jedi IMO--but all that said, I was pretty satisfied with the movie.
I always thought it was the giving into hatred rather than the actual killing that led to turning to the dark side. Presumably for Rey or Luke before her to successfully strike down old Sheev they would have had to use some kind of inner rage to have enough strength to strike successfully. A cool dispassionate attempt would have probably failed. On the other hand, if it was somehow possible to kill Palpatine without flying into a rage, that wouldn't lead to falling to the dark side.
  #242  
Old 12-26-2019, 08:36 PM
Asylum is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Annapolis, Maryland, USA
Posts: 1,325
That movie was hot shit on toast. I was so goddamned bored that I would get confused as to what was going on, then remember I could rake my pre-frontal cortex to put it together, then ask myself "what the fuck did I do that for?" Guess I'm a sadist.

It was like they tried to cram everything and blinker fluid into the movie and they didn't do any of it well. They visited more planets than the Kepler has discovered for no reason other the filmmakers wanted them to, the action scenes were confusing/stupid (horses attacking a starship? Guess JJ is a student of General Herr), the plot twists were stupidly out of nowhere or blazingly obvious (no Chewie body? not dead), Adam Driver is about as intimidating as a toothless chuiahua, they completely dropped character development for anyone not named Rey/Ren, the sudden arrival of reinforcements was so obviously coming that there was no sense of tension, and I could go on (and on, and on... and on). The net result was I didn't care about anything in the movie.

The only thing I really enjoyed was the cameo by Ewan McGregor's uncle.

And I'm a Star Wars nerd. I LIKED the prequels. I got the Thrawn trilogy in hardback when it first came out. I like putting SW Lego sets together. I even made excuses for the TFA and TLJ, telling myself that they had their moments, but wait until the trilogy ends to fully judge them.

The Rise of Skywalker is a bad, bad movie. No biscuit.
  #243  
Old 12-26-2019, 09:37 PM
Jonathan Chance is offline
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: On the run with Kilroy
Posts: 23,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
It is right up there with teleportation of themselves and objects and with levitating themselves (all past Jedi--even in the animated series--just fall, with dignity.)
Not...quite.

There's on instance in the original Clone Wars shorts where Dooku levitates himself off a ledge and down to where Asajj Ventress is waiting. He looks pretty cool doing it.
  #244  
Old 12-27-2019, 12:16 AM
russian heel is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 2,105
Saw it tonight and liked it.

The inclusion of Carrie Fisher was 100% unnecessary. The movie should have started with Princess Leia dead. If they wanted to shoehorn her into the plot, have her and Han Solos “ghost” motivate Kylo Ren to turn face. I get it the movie was supposed to conclude the Leia story but the actress died and the cutting floor clips of her from Last Jedi were not only distracting, but she did nothing in them.

I really enjoyed the Exogol storyline. The storyline-driver concept of a secret Sith planet is the spookiest thing in the series since Darth Maul.

I also enjoyed the final battle scene when it seemed Poe was down and out, but Lando came through at the last minute with the massive fleet.

Could have done without the Poe-Vorii storyline. The encounter scene by the two was terribly written.

I have the move ranked #5 in the canon, below Rogue One and above Last Jedi. The million (actually billion) dollar question is when they do continue the series, is there really a generation of 50 something millenials REALLY pining for the callback of Rey, Poe and Finn like my generation marked out over the return of Han Solo, Luke Skywalker and Princess Leia?

I doubt it.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  #245  
Old 12-27-2019, 07:16 AM
Darren Garrison's Avatar
Darren Garrison is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 13,893
I think that the very biggest mistake about VII VIII and IX was not making them in the time of the prequel trilogy and doing the prequels last. The last three movies should have been about still relativy young and active Luke, Leia, and Han still hopefully working on something and not having them all decrepit people with broken dreams sitting mostly in the background while Team Degrassi Junior Jedi run around the galaxy.

Last edited by Darren Garrison; 12-27-2019 at 07:16 AM.
  #246  
Old 12-27-2019, 07:30 AM
Jasmine's Avatar
Jasmine is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 2,710
I loved the movie. Like any other "wrap-up" movie, there are people who are going to hate it because the ending wasn't the ending THEY wanted. I certainly give it 3 out of 4 stars. "The Empire Strikes Back", from the original trilogy, is still my favorite, though.
__________________
"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance -- it is the illusion of knowledge."
--Daniel J Boorstin
  #247  
Old 12-27-2019, 07:52 AM
IvoryTowerDenizen's Avatar
IvoryTowerDenizen is online now
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bye NYC hello Chicagoland
Posts: 19,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampwolf View Post
I saw it last night and was sobbing through most of it. Not a tear trickling down my face, but full-on, shoulders shaking, sobbing. Partly for the feels within the movie, but a lot of it was that this was a movie I have been waiting for for more than 40 years. A constant presence throughout my life since I was 8 years old, always knowing "there will be more to come," and now...done. (disclaimer: I know that as long as the Mouse can make money, there will always be more. But they're not SW. They're SW Universe)

I understand picking the new trilogy apart (in my house, we don't talk about Eps. 1-3): the cheesiness, the parallels to 4-6, the plot holes, the unanswered questions. But as other posters have said, a lot of people hold the original trilogy up as perfection, and an example of all that is holy. They weren't.

SPOILER:
They weren't ever supposed to be.


They were cheesy. They were inconsistent. They were formulaic. But they were fun. They told a good story. A simple, cliche-riddled tale of humble beginnings, a rise to power (for want of a better word), battle between good and evil against overwhelming odds (with the obligatory main character's internal conflict) and the eventual triumph of the light over the dark.

These movies followed the same classic formula. (So did Eps 1-3, but they were just plain unwatchable, IMO) So I'm going to come to the defense of Rise of Skywalker and say that I loved it. Enough nods to the Originals: "Red 5 is in the air" was beautiful, as an acknowledgement that a legendary X-wing was still recognized, and the whiners can STFU, 'cos Chewy got his medal.

My take on it is that it ended the story. It ended well, the good guys won, and the trilogy of trilogies is complete.
[Kwiil]I have spoken.[/Kwiil]
Saw it last night and 100% this. Sobbed during the last 20 min. Every callback make me grin like an idiot (Ben: Struggling to say “I love you” to Han. Han: I know; Chewy FINALLY getting his medal). Was getting annoyed that after everything Rise of Skywalker was going to be about Ben, and it wasn’t! Was so pleased with the ending.

This franchise defined most of my life- I was 10 in 1977. Loved every minute of it, faults and all.
  #248  
Old 12-27-2019, 10:10 AM
Deeg is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 3,707
I wasn't as disappointed as I expected. It had it's flaws but it had it's good moments. It's worth seeing if you're a SW fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalC View Post
It's fine to say you just don't like Star Wars, but if you are one of those people who think the originals are great and the new ones suck then the issue lies with you.
I couldn't disagree more. The OT, while it has its flaws, also had originality coupled with a coherent story arc. The sequels have almost none. For example, ROS ends almost exactly the same ways as ROTJ: the hero dressed in white confronts Palpatine, who gives away his entire plan by monologuing. The hero is saved by Palpatine's most powerful henchman--a Skywalker dressed in black--who has a change of heart near the end. Meanwhile what's left of the rebel fleet is being decimated by the bad guys.

Where the sequels did have originality they often invalidated the SW universe, like the asinine Holdo Maneuver. Rogue One was a much better movie than any of the sequels.

Last edited by Deeg; 12-27-2019 at 10:11 AM.
  #249  
Old 12-27-2019, 10:29 AM
The Other Waldo Pepper is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeg View Post
For example, ROS ends almost exactly the same ways as ROTJ: the hero dressed in white confronts Palpatine, who gives away his entire plan by monologuing. The hero is saved by Palpatine's most powerful henchman--a Skywalker dressed in black
Dressed in white?
  #250  
Old 12-27-2019, 10:34 AM
Deeg is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 3,707
Doh, you're right. I'm conflating it with Luke's first fight with Vader (when he loses his hand).
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:50 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2019 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017