Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #151  
Old 04-09-2020, 10:34 AM
Little Nemo is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Western New York
Posts: 86,197
I know that Burlew has often avoided having "special" strips to mark the hundred strip intervals. But I'm wondering if the current series of expositional strips is a set-up for a dramatic surprise in the next strip, which will be #1200.

If so, my guess is the MITD teleports to the airship to ask the group for help in rescuing O-Chul.
  #152  
Old 04-09-2020, 10:39 AM
Folacin is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North of the River
Posts: 3,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
I know that Burlew has often avoided having "special" strips to mark the hundred strip intervals. But I'm wondering if the current series of expositional strips is a set-up for a dramatic surprise in the next strip, which will be #1200.

If so, my guess is the MITD teleports to the airship to ask the group for help in rescuing O-Chul.
It would have to know he was captured. Does MITD even know that O-Chul is nearby?
  #153  
Old 04-09-2020, 11:47 AM
ekedolphin is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Suffolk, VA
Posts: 5,693
If we are going to get a special strip for #1200, I think it's more likely we jump to O-Chul and Lien and find out who captured them.
  #154  
Old 04-09-2020, 01:10 PM
squeegee's Avatar
squeegee is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Aptos CA
Posts: 9,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folacin View Post
It would have to know he was captured. Does MITD even know that O-Chul is nearby?
He knows two humans were almost caught by Oona (but they "fell in drink"), and that's about it.
  #155  
Old 04-17-2020, 09:42 AM
chorpler is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: South(est) Texas & Vegas
Posts: 3,701
1200: Contactless Deliberations
  #156  
Old 04-17-2020, 10:06 AM
puzzlegal's Avatar
puzzlegal is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 5,964
Wow.
  #157  
Old 04-17-2020, 10:27 AM
vislor is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Iowa
Posts: 574
I like that plan, actually. It's a bummer they won't do it.
  #158  
Old 04-17-2020, 11:23 AM
Chronos's Avatar
Chronos is offline
Charter Member
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Land of Cleves
Posts: 88,589
Yeah, it wouldn't necessarily cost them surprise, since Sending works anywhere on the entire plane. All it would give away is that they're interested in Redcloak (which he already knows), not that they're right on his doorstep. If anything, it'd be more likely to give the impression that they're further away.
  #159  
Old 04-17-2020, 12:50 PM
crazyjoe is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Farmington, MI
Posts: 3,171
Wouldn't Redcloak be likely to have some sort of abjuration that blocks spells like Sending and Clairvoyance, in order to prevent an enemy from finding out where he is?
__________________
If I had a bulldozer.....
  #160  
Old 04-17-2020, 01:04 PM
Peter Morris's Avatar
Peter Morris is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: The far canal
Posts: 13,172
Yeah, that's true. How long ago did he leave Azure City? Would the Cloister still be in effect?

Also, strip 1200 doesn't seem to be there any more. Anyone else seeing this, or just me?

edit - and now it's back

Last edited by Peter Morris; 04-17-2020 at 01:08 PM.
  #161  
Old 04-17-2020, 01:21 PM
dtilque is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: My own private Nogero
Posts: 7,788
I get there if I use the link in this thread. But the ootslatest shortcut still goes to the last strip. Something strange is going on there.
  #162  
Old 04-17-2020, 01:29 PM
Peter Morris's Avatar
Peter Morris is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: The far canal
Posts: 13,172
me too, but for a few minutes 1200 wasn't showing on the list at all.
  #163  
Old 04-17-2020, 11:42 PM
BigT's Avatar
BigT is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: "Hicksville", Ark.
Posts: 37,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjoe View Post
Wouldn't Redcloak be likely to have some sort of abjuration that blocks spells like Sending and Clairvoyance, in order to prevent an enemy from finding out where he is?
I would think so, too. But the fact that the author is explaining why this won't happen suggests that it actually would have worked. Because how easy would have been to simply use the Sending and have if fail?

I actually now suspect that they will try Sending later to contact him, after everything goes south. Or, at least, something that would have been blocked, same as Sending.

Last edited by BigT; 04-17-2020 at 11:43 PM.
  #164  
Old 04-17-2020, 11:54 PM
kaylasdad99 is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 33,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
Yeah, it wouldn't necessarily cost them surprise, since Sending works anywhere on the entire plane. All it would give away is that they're interested in Redcloak (which he already knows), not that they're right on his doorstep. If anything, it'd be more likely to give the impression that they're further away.
It kinda would cost them a surprise, though, because as far as Redcloak knows, his Si Elemental done kilt 'em all at the ruins of Girard's Gate.

Last edited by kaylasdad99; 04-17-2020 at 11:55 PM.
  #165  
Old 04-18-2020, 12:55 AM
kaylasdad99 is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 33,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Morris View Post
Also, strip 1200 doesn't seem to be there any more. Anyone else seeing this, or just me?

edit - and now it's back
Looks like Rich's Cloister effect isn't quite as robust as Xykon's...
  #166  
Old 04-18-2020, 06:44 AM
Jonathan Chance is offline
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: On the run with Kilroy
Posts: 23,659
Dammit, Roy.

The one thing you truly need is allies. And Redcloak would be the supreme ally.

Ingrained distrust - both from Roy and Redcloak - is a bitch to get past.
  #167  
Old 04-18-2020, 08:06 AM
Chronos's Avatar
Chronos is offline
Charter Member
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Land of Cleves
Posts: 88,589
Redcloak's not naive enough to think that a single summoned monster, even a max-level one, could take out a whole party of the Order's level.
  #168  
Old 04-18-2020, 04:30 PM
Gray Ghost is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
It kinda would cost them a surprise, though, because as far as Redcloak knows, his Si Elemental done kilt 'em all at the ruins of Girard's Gate.
Durkon would be the entity Sending. RC didn't see Durkon at Girard's Gate. (He was still Malack's thrall, and elsewhere when Team Evil 'Ported in.) Would RC even recognize Durkon from way back at Azure City?

I guess, Dorukan's Dungeon was the closest RC got to Durkon. He might remember that Greenhilt had a Dwarven cleric in his party, and I guess he might remember that Durkon used Thor's Might during the Dorukan fight: https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0111.html Odds he'd think Durkon was still a member of the Order, since he wasn't there for the Si Elemental?
  #169  
Old 04-18-2020, 06:07 PM
Little Nemo is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Western New York
Posts: 86,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
I'm wondering if the current series of expositional strips is a set-up for a dramatic surprise in the next strip, which will be #1200.
I will acknowledge I was wrong.
  #170  
Old 04-18-2020, 06:13 PM
kaylasdad99 is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 33,226
Hey. I’ve been bingeing Community, and I find myself reading the last few posts in Troy and Abed’s voices.
  #171  
Old 04-18-2020, 09:01 PM
Gray Ghost is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
I will acknowledge I was wrong.
I thought you'd be right this last week, given it took him a little longer to get this strip out. Despite other strips on big even numbers lampshading that he wasn't using the occasion to write a big, in-depth strip. I was hoping for something a touch more out of this strip than wordswordswords, but what can you do?

As far as the plot, I think the paladins are behind one of those doors. LOL if it's one of the marked doors where the MITD was 'helping.'

Kayla's dad, I have to admit I'm not that familiar with Community, other than a few clips. I know it's supposed to be a great show. Are either of those characters the guy who had them all play D&D, and who method-acted as a Drow in darkface?
  #172  
Old 04-18-2020, 09:43 PM
kaylasdad99 is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 33,226
Troy and Abed are besties who share an apartment (along with a life rich in pop-culture -- driven by Abed's probable Aspergers, but Troy is his enthusiastic sidekick who tends to keep up). Abed was the DM for their game.

The drow was played by former Spanish teacher Ben Chang.
  #173  
Old 04-22-2020, 12:45 AM
DrDeth is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: San Jose
Posts: 44,721
Somehow this had slipped my mind in all the excitement.
__________________
I am not a real Doctor
  #174  
Old 04-27-2020, 07:52 AM
chorpler is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: South(est) Texas & Vegas
Posts: 3,701
1201: The Freckles in Their Eye
  #175  
Old 04-27-2020, 07:55 AM
Alessan's Avatar
Alessan is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Tel Aviv
Posts: 25,510
Awwwww...
  #176  
Old 04-27-2020, 08:25 AM
Jophiel's Avatar
Jophiel is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Chicago suburbia
Posts: 20,033
I don't get the potion merchant joke. Explain, please!

[Edit: A reference to video game RPGs that have a final place to buy stuff before the boss fight?]

Last edited by Jophiel; 04-27-2020 at 08:25 AM.
  #177  
Old 04-27-2020, 08:27 AM
Peter Morris's Avatar
Peter Morris is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: The far canal
Posts: 13,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
I don't get the potion merchant joke. Explain, please!

[Edit: A reference to video game RPGs that have a final place to buy stuff before the boss fight?]
See #966 panel 2
  #178  
Old 04-27-2020, 08:38 AM
Jonathan Chance is offline
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: On the run with Kilroy
Posts: 23,659
Good tactical move on Roy's part. Don't let them hang around. They can't possibly help against Xykon and could potentially be a hindrance as hostages or something. Their part's done. Drop off the team and get clear of the fireworks. Either the world's going to end or it's not.
  #179  
Old 04-27-2020, 08:41 AM
Jophiel's Avatar
Jophiel is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Chicago suburbia
Posts: 20,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Morris View Post
Thanks. I was right in general, if forgetting the details!
  #180  
Old 04-27-2020, 09:19 AM
puzzlegal's Avatar
puzzlegal is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 5,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Morris View Post
:lol:

I didn't get it, either. Thanks for the reference.
  #181  
Old 04-27-2020, 09:22 AM
Chronos's Avatar
Chronos is offline
Charter Member
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Land of Cleves
Posts: 88,589
I thought the potion vendor was a reference to the Mechane having vast stocks of healing potions, due to Julio's endorsement deal with the potion brewer. I'd forgotten all about the "one last vendor who only sells basic potions" joke, and wasn't sure why he popped in suddenly.
  #182  
Old 04-27-2020, 09:47 AM
Peter Morris's Avatar
Peter Morris is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: The far canal
Posts: 13,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
I didn't get it, either.
As it happens, neither did I, but someone on OOTS forum explained.
  #183  
Old 04-27-2020, 10:42 AM
Gray Ghost is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Chance View Post
Good tactical move on Roy's part. Don't let them hang around. They can't possibly help against Xykon and could potentially be a hindrance as hostages or something. Their part's done. Drop off the team and get clear of the fireworks. Either the world's going to end or it's not.
Someone more cold-blooded than Roy might try to use them as a distraction, but that's a bit darker than a LG character would want to play it. Even if the stakes are for everything. Good on Roy.

See, I got the potion vendor joke right away, but couldn't figure out the "basic potion" part of the punchline. (EDIT, Until you guys thoughtfully linked to the callback. Thanks.) Just about every classic CRPG has something similar. The one in Baldur's Gate even has the only copy of a particular stat-raising Tome, though I think you have to pickpocket her or steal it from a chest near her.

Framework's laid. Let's get on with learning something new about the plot.

Last edited by Gray Ghost; 04-27-2020 at 10:43 AM.
  #184  
Old 04-27-2020, 10:53 AM
Jonathan Chance is offline
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: On the run with Kilroy
Posts: 23,659
Gray Goose, me too. I immediately understood why a vendor would appear. But not the 'basic potions' joke.

Burlew's at least hinting that it's Final Boss time. Your party gets a small assist right before the end of the journey.

Not that I think it'll be that easy and I'm willing to bet - and go along for the ride - that there'll be some twists and turns along the way.

And yeah, I considered how useful the Mechane would be as a distraction. You're right that Roy wouldn't want them there as sacrificial lambs. He'd only ask them to stay if he thought they could really assist in taking down Xykon and the fact is...they can't. They could distract him exactly as long as it took him to notice them. Then they'd be falling out of the sky already dead.

Of course...Julio Scoundrel can only show up again by surprise and at the last second to provide an assist that tips the balance and gives the apparently defeated good guys a sudden new opportunity for victory.

There are rules to these things, you know.
  #185  
Old 04-27-2020, 11:59 AM
Gray Ghost is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,816
Quote:
...Burlew's at least hinting that it's Final Boss time. Your party gets a small assist right before the end of the journey.

Not that I think it'll be that easy and I'm willing to bet - and go along for the ride - that there'll be some twists and turns along the way.

And yeah, I considered how useful the Mechane would be as a distraction. You're right that Roy wouldn't want them there as sacrificial lambs. He'd only ask them to stay if he thought they could really assist in taking down Xykon and the fact is...they can't. They could distract him exactly as long as it took him to notice them. Then they'd be falling out of the sky already dead.

Of course...Julio Scoundrel can only show up again by surprise and at the last second to provide an assist that tips the balance and gives the apparently defeated good guys a sudden new opportunity for victory.

There are rules to these things, you know.
"I think we can handle one little skeleton..." Still, action economy is a thing, and a round where Xykon et al is face rolling the Mechane, is an extra round where the Order can do their stuff. Not the kind of story where that kind of strategy helps the heroes though. The Elf Commander infiltrating Azure City probably would have done something like that though, and see where that kind of thinking led him...

I think we see Julio when we see Tarquin again. Probably never, though I do wonder what happened with Lauren the Psion.

Way too early in the book for this to be it. (Unless Burlew's REALLY tired of writing this strip) I can see this going either as a rollover win for the Order, with RC and the MITD helping things, and then the real meat of the book deals with the Snarl, the Gods, the World in the Rift, and all that drama. Or, we get to meet the Invisible Duo and learn there's something else going on we currently have no idea about. I'm excited to read about it. Pity he's not faster, oh well.

Last edited by Gray Ghost; 04-27-2020 at 12:03 PM.
  #186  
Old 04-27-2020, 12:55 PM
Chronos's Avatar
Chronos is offline
Charter Member
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Land of Cleves
Posts: 88,589
There's definitely something going on with the Snarl that needs to be resolved, and something going on with the paladins' abductors that needs to be resolved, which may or may not be the same something.

But karmic justice would be for Tarquin to be never mentioned again, as a C-list side villain who's now become irrelevant.
  #187  
Old 04-27-2020, 01:33 PM
Little Nemo is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Western New York
Posts: 86,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
But karmic justice would be for Tarquin to be never mentioned again, as a C-list side villain who's now become irrelevant.
I agree and I feel this is Burlew's intent. He made a point that Tarquin was acting on the false premise that he was the central figure of "the story" and everyone else was just a supporting character in a narrative that centered around him. Burlew was saying that everyone is the central figure in their own story and you can't act as if the universe revolves around you alone. As far as the universe is concerned, it doesn't matter if you're Roy Greenhilt or the fifth goblin on the left in a single panel in one strip.
  #188  
Old 04-27-2020, 03:25 PM
Malleus, Incus, Stapes! is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Middle ear
Posts: 6,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
As far as the universe is concerned, it doesn't matter if you're Roy Greenhilt or the fifth goblin on the left in a single panel in one strip.
Well, Fifth Goblin On The Left has a much harder time becoming prime minister.
  #189  
Old 04-27-2020, 06:00 PM
Little Nemo is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Western New York
Posts: 86,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malleus, Incus, Stapes! View Post
Well, Fifth Goblin On The Left has a much harder time becoming prime minister.
Yes, it's a theme that's run throughout the story.
  #190  
Old 05-15-2020, 08:50 AM
chorpler is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: South(est) Texas & Vegas
Posts: 3,701
1202: Cloud Commuting
  #191  
Old 05-15-2020, 09:12 AM
Chronos's Avatar
Chronos is offline
Charter Member
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Land of Cleves
Posts: 88,589
In case anyone else is looking for it, the last time they used Wind Walk. The visuals were less monochromatic then.
  #192  
Old 05-15-2020, 09:15 AM
Chronos's Avatar
Chronos is offline
Charter Member
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Land of Cleves
Posts: 88,589
...And, looking back and forth between the old and new comics there, I just noticed that the size of the pages has increased significantly, too. When did that happen?
  #193  
Old 05-15-2020, 09:16 AM
Chronos's Avatar
Chronos is offline
Charter Member
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Land of Cleves
Posts: 88,589
...And, looking back and forth between the old and new comics there, I just noticed that the size of the pages has increased significantly, too. When did that happen?
  #194  
Old 05-15-2020, 09:45 AM
Peter Morris's Avatar
Peter Morris is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: The far canal
Posts: 13,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
When did that happen?
Since book 6 started, with the revised art style.

Book 5 final page
Book 6 first page
  #195  
Old 05-15-2020, 09:50 AM
Gray Ghost is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
...And, looking back and forth between the old and new comics there, I just noticed that the size of the pages has increased significantly, too. When did that happen?
Did it change with the change in art style at the start of Book 6? Pretty strip, and Wind Walk was neat to see.

Nearly three weeks though...ugh. Oh well, bitching about it won't get Burlew to draw any faster. It would be nice though if he'd drop a tweet or something once a week: "Hey! Still alive and haven't gotten in any more car wrecks!"

So, they're visible, but look like clouds. True Seeing would reveal their true form, I imagine. Any Detect Good type spell available without a laughably short range?

Still think Lien & O-Chul are stuffed behind one of the doors. If Serini was really tricky, one of the doors to the tomb isn't a visible door, like the rest, but is something like a slab of that stone on rollers in a track, so it looks like an ordinary slope of the side of the tomb.
  #196  
Old 05-15-2020, 10:00 AM
DesertDog is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Mesa, Ariz.
Posts: 6,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
"Hey! Still alive and haven't gotten in any more car wrecks!"
Wait. There was a car wreck, too? I thought it was simply assault by hobby knife. Damn this ever more intermittent memory of mine.
  #197  
Old 05-15-2020, 10:33 AM
Gray Ghost is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
Wait. There was a car wreck, too? I thought it was simply assault by hobby knife. Damn this ever more intermittent memory of mine.
Thought during the big hiatus in the middle of BRITF, that he got in a car wreck, and had his hand and or thumb really jacked up by auto glass? Jacked up to the point of, 'We're not sure how much function you'll still have in this hand, sir." Which is a bad thing for a graphic artist.

(After some Googling) Turns out there wasn't a wreck that caused this particular thumb injury. Per CNN Money, he was washing some glass vessel which broke, and sliced up his hand, severing more than one tendon. Plus nerves and an artery. I'm surprised he was able to return to drawing. The picture in the link is rough.
  #198  
Old 05-15-2020, 11:42 AM
puzzlegal's Avatar
puzzlegal is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 5,964
I, too, would appreciate the occasional note that he's still alive, and isn't in the ICU with corona or something.
  #199  
Old 05-15-2020, 02:10 PM
dtilque is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: My own private Nogero
Posts: 7,788
The ootslatest.html shortcut doesn't work again. It didn't for a time after the last strip was updated, too. I use that to tell if a new strip is up if I don't see this thread updated.
  #200  
Old 05-15-2020, 02:44 PM
vislor is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Iowa
Posts: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
Thought during the big hiatus in the middle of BRITF, that he got in a car wreck, and had his hand and or thumb really jacked up by auto glass? Jacked up to the point of, 'We're not sure how much function you'll still have in this hand, sir." Which is a bad thing for a graphic artist.

(After some Googling) Turns out there wasn't a wreck that caused this particular thumb injury. Per CNN Money, he was washing some glass vessel which broke, and sliced up his hand, severing more than one tendon. Plus nerves and an artery. I'm surprised he was able to return to drawing. The picture in the link is rough.
That was eight years ago??? I cannot believe that Kickstarter was eight years ago.

And yes that picture gives me shivers just looking at it! Wow.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:23 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2019 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017