Old 02-11-2020, 10:22 PM

Virginia Legislature Votes To Allow Cities To Remove Confederate Statues

Link.

Not an election, though one of the results of an election; I do think it's politics, though. Mods, move if you disagree. -- there have been a batch of threads on aspects of this subject, but none of them recently unless I missed something; and instead of trying to figure out which of the old ones is most applicable I'll start a new one.

Quote:
Localities in Virginia are closer to having the power to remove some 220 Confederate statues and monuments in public spaces.

Democrats, who took control of the House and Senate in November, passed two similar bills on near party-line votes on Tuesday.
Old 02-12-2020, 08:07 AM
Charter Member

The Virginia legislature's been busy.

So far, things that have passed at least one house of the legislature include automatic voter registration and same-day registration, an Election Day holiday, no-excuse absentee voting, repeal of the GOP's photo voter ID law, joining the national popular vote interstate compact, increasing the minimum wage to $10 this year and to $15 by 2025, repealing the gun show loophole, limiting magazines to 12 rounds, and a metric ton of other stuff.

Good thread here by a DC TV station reporter covering the VA legislative session.
Old 02-12-2020, 08:25 AM

WTG Virginia! If only they'd gone forward with the union protection stuff instead of bowing to the poorly named "right to work" advocates.
Old 02-12-2020, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
WTG Virginia! If only they'd gone forward with the union protection stuff instead of bowing to the poorly named "right to work" advocates.
Thats disappointing. Rebuilding the labor movement is a big factor in reducing income inequality and build a democratic voter/donor base.
Old 02-12-2020, 03:14 PM

Heard this AM on NPR that Virginia reduced fines from $500 to $25 for possession of half ounce of pot. No jail time for repeat offenders.

And still, everybody has a source but me.
Old 02-12-2020, 03:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Clark View Post
Thats disappointing. Rebuilding the labor movement is a big factor in reducing income inequality and build a democratic voter/donor base.
They can bypass the middlemen and simply legislate union-like benefits and protections for every worker in the state, without forcing the workers to jump through the hoops of organizing and negotiating with companies. Whether they do so remains to be seen, but based on what they've done so far, they're on the right track.
Old 02-12-2020, 03:30 PM
Charter Member

I hope that cities and counties can also start removing the names of horrible racists who are for bizarre reasons celebrated in Virginia. Harry Byrd Highway? Jefferson Davis Highway? Lee Highway? Fuck 'em all.
Old 02-12-2020, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenman View Post
I hope that cities and counties can also start removing the names of horrible racists who are for bizarre reasons celebrated in Virginia. Harry Byrd Highway? Jefferson Davis Highway? Lee Highway? Fuck 'em all.
I lived on Lee Hwy from about 2012-2019. We've since moved... and Lee Hwy is now all of 500 feet away.
Old 02-12-2020, 05:29 PM

Quote:
I lived on Lee Hwy from about 2012-2019. We've since moved... and Lee Hwy is now all of 500 feet away.
Otherwise known as Route 11, it goes through my hometown. Radford, near VaTech

to the tune of Godzilla- Go, go, Virginia!

Last edited by Mike Mabes; 02-12-2020 at 05:30 PM.
Old 02-19-2020, 11:00 AM
SDSAB

Great to see Dems in the Virginia legislature putting their majorities to such good and vigorous use. It's like a mini-New Deal in Richmond these days.
Old 04-18-2020, 10:30 PM
SDSAB

Some more good news down there: https://www.pecva.org/our-region/reg...n-2020-session
Old 04-18-2020, 10:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
There are famous Lee's besides R.E. Lee.

Richard Henry Lee for one.

But yeah, nothing should be named for the traitor Davis.

Harry Byrd was a great man, and so many back then were racists.
Old 04-19-2020, 06:44 AM
Charter Member

Harry Byrd was not a great man. Massive Resistance was a nation-wide criminal conspiracy.
Old 04-19-2020, 07:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quote:
Last year, Arlington County quietly renamed its portion of U.S. Route 1 from Jefferson Davis Highway to match the name in Fairfax County. Itís now Richmond Highway.

In between is the portion in Alexandria City, which is split between the parallel streets Patrick Street and Henry Street, which arenít named after confederates.

Alexandria City has been trying to move itís confederate memorial, which sits on top of a pillar in the middle of a major intersection. The council has wanted to move it to a nearby museum, but so far has been blocked https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appomattox_(statue) .
Old 04-19-2020, 08:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
They're bowing to public opinion on this one.
Even most Dems favor RtW laws.
Old 04-19-2020, 10:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
But yeah, nothing should be named for the traitor Davis.
The signage may take a bit longer than usual to go, due to circumstance.

Really, I always wondered why Virginia should honor Jeff Davis. All he brought to the commonwealth was failure and misfortune. And besides he's from Mississippi, let them awkwardly explain how it's all about his service in the Mexican War and in the War Department.