Old 02-27-2020, 11:12 AM

Yeah, once Adam spilled the beans to Rob, they couldn't go with Parv, so why not take out Rob? Maybe there was concern that he had an idol, but it didn't make it to the edit.
Old 02-27-2020, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1953 View Post
Covering your face in ashes while wearing a white hoodie is less than effective, though.
I don't think the hoodie was white. It just looked that way in the grayscale night vision camera.
Old 02-27-2020, 02:11 PM

Two reasons to keep Rob: he's actually pretty damn good at challenge puzzles (previous episode excepted) and he is a great "bigger target" to have around if you are worried that you might be seen as a threat.

Ethan so far has been presented as a somewhat attractive goat (or at least not nearly as big a threat as Rob/Parv) so it could make sense to cut him now. Even more so if you get the feeling that Adam is trying to groom Ethan as an ally. It really isolates Rob/Parv as a twosome that are outside the majority.

I really liked the vote for the majority - make it clear that Adam can't play both sides while still weakening the "old school" group, not your own. Kind of the opposite of what Rob/Parv did by voting out Danni last time, which just made their own position weaker.
Old 02-27-2020, 03:26 PM

While it certainly didn't make them stronger, it could be argued that Danni is such a loose canon that voting her out was more of a lateral move than weakening them.
Old 02-27-2020, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas09 View Post
Two reasons to keep Rob: he's actually pretty damn good at challenge puzzles (previous episode excepted) and he is a great "bigger target" to have around if you are worried that you might be seen as a threat.

Ethan so far has been presented as a somewhat attractive goat (or at least not nearly as big a threat as Rob/Parv) so it could make sense to cut him now. Even more so if you get the feeling that Adam is trying to groom Ethan as an ally. It really isolates Rob/Parv as a twosome that are outside the majority.

I really liked the vote for the majority - make it clear that Adam can't play both sides while still weakening the "old school" group, not your own. Kind of the opposite of what Rob/Parv did by voting out Danni last time, which just made their own position weaker.
These are all really good points. But I still say, if you have a chance to get rid of Rob, you should get rid of Rob. They may not get another opportunity.
Old 03-05-2020, 08:15 AM

Well, Rob certainly recovered his puzzle solver cred yesterday! That was an impressive come-from-behind victory.

On the other hand, how pathetic was Adam's boasting about 'Adam always accomplishes what he sets out to do' after failing at the grab-the-key, what, a half dozen times?
Old 03-05-2020, 08:33 AM

"You guys have so much firewood!"
Old 03-05-2020, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingButStrong View Post
Well, Rob certainly recovered his puzzle solver cred yesterday! That was an impressive come-from-behind victory.

On the other hand, how pathetic was Adam's boasting about 'Adam always accomplishes what he sets out to do' after failing at the grab-the-key, what, a half dozen times?
He's the embodiment of the mantra: If at first you don't succeed, try, try, try, try, try, try again.
Old 03-05-2020, 08:39 AM

Quote:

Not only that, he got choked up and mentioned his eighth grade teacher. Dude, you are on a beach with Boson Rob and Parvati, it's the big leagues.
Old 03-05-2020, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Eh, he's the one who actually finally grabbed it, not one of his teammates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borborygmi View Post
"You guys have so much firewood!"
Best line of the season. Almost makes EoE worth it.
Old 03-05-2020, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muldoonthief View Post
Eh, he's the one who actually finally grabbed it, not one of his teammates...
Yeah, I noticed that no one else was even trying, he kept going up there again and again, it must have been exhausting.
Old 03-05-2020, 09:09 AM

Sandra has always irritated me, but man oh man she's really getting to me this season. Why is she allowed to sit out of so many challenges!?
Old 03-05-2020, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Honestly, I'm not minding EoE nearly as much this season. While it does kill the drama, at least I want to watch these people still. I didn't need 39 days of Reem.
Old 03-05-2020, 06:02 PM

Teams needed to have a tall (and presumably athletic) player in the boat (therefore) as a jumper for the keys/buoys. The Sele Tribe had Adam, Denise, and Parvati on the jumping task. They needed either Jeremy or Ben doing the jumping in place of one those players. (Ethan would have been good too!). Ben looks to be about 5-6" taller than Adam and Jeremy/Rob are about 3" taller than Adam. Adam is the shortest of the guys, Denise is really short, and Parvati is about Adam's height. Just bad postioning from the Sele tribe. But they did need the swimming muscle to pull the boat across the water.
Old 03-05-2020, 06:33 PM

Speaking of the "Sandra Memorial Bench":

Probst has said that they couldn't have gotten all the players they did if they hadn't had the EoE twist. That some of the winners would not risk the embarrassment of coming back and getting voted out right away and be gone without a second chance.

Do you suppose that another change was lifting the old 'you can't sit out twice in a row' rule? It certainly takes away a bit of extra pressure towards getting Sandra off your team early on. I mean, yeah, she doesn't help in contests, but it lessens the likelihood that her lack of ability at challenges will CAUSE your team to end up at TC more often in the early game.
Old 03-05-2020, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC4941 View Post
Sandra has always irritated me, but man oh man she's really getting to me this season. Why is she allowed to sit out of so many challenges!?
Wasn't there always a rule that the same person can't sit out 2 challenges in a row? Or did that only apply when there was a reward challenge separate from the immunity challenge?
Old 03-06-2020, 12:12 AM

Quote:

I don't think that was pathetic. He got all 3 keys for his tribe after they bungled the decision on the roles. It looked like Denise and Parvati weren't even trying anymore at the end, as they rightly realized they were too short and not athletic enough to make the jump. Adam seems to be about the same height as Parvati.

They've had challenges like this in the past, and the keys have been way lower. It can also be hard to gauge height from a distance accurately, so I'm guessing they thought the jumping part was a given, and just wanted to put the strong and tall guys on the swimming bit.
Old 03-06-2020, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lips_Obsession View Post
Wasn't there always a rule that the same person can't sit out 2 challenges in a row? Or did that only apply when there was a reward challenge separate from the immunity challenge?
Yes, the exclusion rule never crossed over episodes. If you sat out the reward challenge early in the episode, you couldn't sit out the immunity challenge later in the episode. But it reset at the beginning of the next episode.

The show is interested in drama and viewership. They aren't even the tiniest bit interested in fairness. Otherwise it would be random who sits out, or you'd have to cycle through the whole tribe before someone could sit out again.
Old 03-06-2020, 09:03 AM

Quote:
The show is interested in drama and viewership. They aren't even the tiniest bit interested in fairness. Otherwise it would be random who sits out, or you'd have to cycle through the whole tribe before someone could sit out again.
What is "fair" in the context of survivor? Everything you do impacts how you appear to the people who can vote you out. If the tribe doesn't like Sandra sitting out, they can vote her out for doing so. If the other tribe doesn't like going against a strong opposing tribe, maybe they shouldn't have voted out a strong player that could help in the challenge (Ethan). In any case, they know a tribe switch up must be imminent so any one of them is just as likely to benefit from Sandra sitting out next time. If by some miracle they let Sandra make it to the final again, her sitting out will cost her some jury votes. So why not let her take on that stigma if she wants to?

Last edited by gonzoron; 03-06-2020 at 09:04 AM.
Old 03-09-2020, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohvan View Post

They've had challenges like this in the past, and the keys have been way lower. It can also be hard to gauge height from a distance accurately, so I'm guessing they thought the jumping part was a given, and just wanted to put the strong and tall guys on the swimming bit.
I think the movement of the water also hurt. That thing was really rocking. You need to time your jump so the platform is right at the peak of moving up. There were a few times where Adam jumped and the platform was on the way down.
Old 03-09-2020, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enalzi View Post
I think the movement of the water also hurt. That thing was really rocking. You need to time your jump so the platform is right at the peak of moving up. There were a few times where Adam jumped and the platform was on the way down.
The beam he was jumping from and the pole holding the keys were all part of the same structure. So there was no relative motion between them, and it doesn't matter when he jumped.
Old 03-09-2020, 03:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Add me to the group that does not mind EoE this season because I like the people that got sent there and want them to return. I'm hoping for Ethan, but would be fine with anyone over there right now.
Old 03-09-2020, 03:52 PM

Quote:
The beam he was jumping from and the pole holding the keys were all part of the same structure. So there was no relative motion between them, and it doesn't matter when he jumped.

Sure it does, if you jump at the bottom, while you’re in the air the key is moving farther away from you. If it was moving steadily, you’d be right, but since it was oscillating, best time to jump is just before the peak. Also the key was swinging all over the place so that was his main concern, being able to grab it while it is hanging down vertical.
Old 03-09-2020, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzoron View Post
If by some miracle they let Sandra make it to the final again, her sitting out will cost her some jury votes. So why not let her take on that stigma if she wants to?
Sandra could easily spin that as a tactical move—by sitting out challenges, she avoids any responsibility if her tribe loses. It fits perfectly into her strategy of staying in the background and keeping the target on anyone but herself.

Personally, I can't stand Sandra, but she's won twice with this strategy and I can easily see her cruising to a third victory this time. None of the other players seem to view her as a serious threat.
Old 03-11-2020, 11:34 PM

I hate how they edit the show these days. They're so fixated on creating "exciting blindsides" every week that they cut out much of what used to make the show interesting.
Old 03-12-2020, 12:29 PM

I guess I'm not sure what was missing this week. They pretty clearly laid out the groupings at each of the new tribes. They didn't waste any time with EoE (not even showing the Rob arrival scene).

I do agree there were probably communications between Adam/Ben and Sophie/Sarah that made it clear that Rob was going home. I don't mind them cutting it, since I think the talking heads and shots they got that showed how much Adam and Ben resented Steroidal Buddy System that it was pretty clear what was going to happen. They always try to at least create *some* drama even for obvious votes like this one.

Still pretty ballsy of Sarah to not play her Steal-a-Vote - I think I would have had to play it there just to lock down this vote 100% and worry about the next vote later. I guess by holding it she now guarantees that her twosome will have the advantage over the other 2 should they have to go back next episode... Still takes a lot of courage based on what we saw (which probably also hints that there were more solid guarantees given by Adam/Ben than what we saw).
Old 03-12-2020, 02:47 PM
Charter Member

I presume they all voted for Rob except Rob himself?
Old 03-12-2020, 02:48 PM
Charter Member

And how the heck did this episode not end with Rob showing up at Extinction saying, "Honey, I'm home!"
Old 03-12-2020, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
And how the heck did this episode not end with Rob showing up at Extinction saying, "Honey, I'm home!"

Which reminds me - Probst always makes a big point in interviews how important the "loved one" visits are to the players, how they supply much needed incentive to go on, yadda yadda. And those are for visits that mostly last just a couple of minutes before they're sent away again.

Rob and Amber are going to get 24 hour a day 'loved one' visits for the rest of their time on EoE.

Just another way in which this game was set up in an unbalanced manner.
Old 03-12-2020, 05:27 PM

Hey Rob, while you are giving Production a Talking Head about the Buddy System guess who is back at Camp discussing the upcoming vote.

That would be Adam, Ben, Sarah and Sophie
Old 03-13-2020, 04:36 AM

I wondered about that too.

Anyway, I'm SO glad people finally stopped putting up with Rob's nonsense. It's one thing to cow a bunch of sheeple newbies with that dictatorial "buddy system" crap, but I had been disappointed up 'til now that actual past winners were letting him run the show. He is the most overrated player ever (with Kim a close second). My only fear is that he somehow comes back from exile and pulls a Chris Underwood.
Old 03-13-2020, 07:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
I wondered about that too.

Anyway, I'm SO glad people finally stopped putting up with Rob's nonsense. It's one thing to cow a bunch of sheeple newbies with that dictatorial "buddy system" crap, but I had been disappointed up 'til now that actual past winners were letting him run the show. He is the most overrated player ever (with Kim a close second). My only fear is that he somehow comes back from exile and pulls a Chris Underwood.
I like Rob, but I think they were foolish to even wait this long. I think he could persuade people to vote for him for the win.
Old 03-13-2020, 08:27 AM

I wonder if it will impact the other two tribes. As in, if they see this tribe got the guts to oust Rob and the heavens didn't fall, maybe it's safe to go after Parvati or Sandra or whoever else is considered too powerful to offend.
Old 03-13-2020, 10:20 AM

I actually like Rob. He’s fun to watch and seems like a decent guy. I think I’d enjoy hanging out with him IRL.
But yeah, the tribe did absolutely the right thing voting him out. There’s definitely been a distinction between the “Star” players and those that may be viewed as “Lesser” winners - perpetuated in part, ironically, by the “Lessers” themselves with their star-struck comments.

Voting out Rob may have seemed obvious, but it took guts and tact and subversion to pull it off as they did. The remaining four, especially Sophie and Sarah, just proved they belong on this season and have as much of a shot to win it as anybody.
Old 03-13-2020, 02:25 PM

Oh, I know I'm in a distinct minority: most Survivor fans love 'em some Boston Rob. But I never liked him and it has only gotten worse over the years. I thrilled to hear Sophie (one of my favorite winners) say he's an "asshole". TRUTH
Old 03-18-2020, 11:43 PM

Sure was nice that the tribe at 4 won the double-elimination challenge, putting everyone else back to 4.

Disappointed to see Parv out before she really got a chance to get going, but it was foreseeable after Ethan and Rob went home and the tribe swap put her in trouble. I thought the Wendell thing might blow up in her favor but seems like that might happen later.

The second vote, one of the most amazing Survivor votes in history.
Old 03-19-2020, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnusblitz View Post
Disappointed to see Parv out before she really got a chance to get going...
Not sure exactly what you mean. If she was waiting up until now to start playing, maybe that wasn't a great plan.

But at least Parv was able to play in the challenges. Some weren't so lucky.
Old 03-19-2020, 02:06 AM

By the way, when you sell an idol and agree to be paid half up front and half after TC, what the other side hears is "idol for sale at half price". Dumb mistake to make, and I knew right then who was likely to be voted off.

Last edited by Dag Otto; 03-19-2020 at 02:08 AM.
Old 03-19-2020, 07:50 AM

Killer move by Denise, one of the best ever, IMHO.

Wasn't surprised to see Parv get voted off. After Rob was out, she really had no allies left in the game. What I found funny was remembering at the beginning of the season when Parv and Rob were talking about how no one was coming after them, and they were both kind of smug about it.

Careful what you wish for.....
Old 03-19-2020, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dag Otto View Post
By the way, when you sell an idol and agree to be paid half up front and half after TC, what the other side hears is "idol for sale at half price". Dumb mistake to make, and I knew right then who was likely to be voted off.
No kidding. I have no idea what Sandra was doing there. Does she really think she's such a great player that no one is running their own schemes?

I'm also assuming the producers are not going to enforce any agreements between contestants, so even if Sandra hadn't gone home, Denise would have been under no obligation to give her another token.

BTW, has there ever been a case in the past where a player played an idol for someone else, and the person they played it for turned out to have voted for the original player? Because that may be a slightly awkward conversation - "Thanks for playing that idol for me Denise. Oh, did you notice that there were actually 4 votes against you? That's odd."
Old 03-19-2020, 08:43 AM

Quote:
No kidding. I have no idea what Sandra was doing there. Does she really think she's such a great player that no one is running their own schemes?
I'm baffled, too. What did Sandra think would happen that was possibly good for her? She knew the other's plan was to vote Denise, so if Denise uses an idol... I mean, so far as we saw, she didn't even talk to her about coordinating their votes on someone else. Having her play TWO idols was unexpected, of course, but the natural and obvious outcome was that whoever Denise voted for was going to go.

Sandra must have really drunk her own "I am the Queen" cool ade.
Old 03-19-2020, 09:01 AM

I actually clapped when Sandra got the boot last night! I was glad to see the other tribe members finally came to their senses in the last 2 shows. They were just letting Rob, Sandra and Parv dictate everything. Made no sense to me. The three of them were all so smug.

Watching Sandra gleefully prance over to the "Sandra Bench" AGAIN in the "who's going to sit this challenge out segment" irked me to no end.
Old 03-19-2020, 10:05 AM

I just can't imagine what was going through Sandra's head as she said "I will give you this idol so you will be safe and then whoever you vote for will go home"... in what way does that make any sense whatsoever? Why not at least throw a vote at Jeremy (which wouldn't have mattered, but still) just in case Denise betrays you?

I guess these "big players" just think poor old Denise can't think for herself at all?

I was a bit worried for my favorite Yul during his TC when Wendell kept asking Parvati for a name. Why didn't she just say Yul? She has to know she is likely the vote, so why be so scared to say a name. If you don't trust Wendell that's fine, but at least give it a shot. Maybe Wendell blinks.
Old 03-19-2020, 10:38 AM

And as much as I hate EoE, I have to admit it was pretty good last night. Ethan's "We have to carry the logs back up the hill" quip was genius. And Tyson pretending to pee, grabbing the packet, then using his token to buy a gigantic jar of peanut butter was hilarious. And frankly, may wind up being the second best use of a token this season.
Old 03-19-2020, 11:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
Oh, I know I'm in a distinct minority: most Survivor fans love 'em some Boston Rob. But I never liked him and it has only gotten worse over the years. I thrilled to hear Sophie (one of my favorite winners) say he's an "asshole". TRUTH
I dont like Rob, but I despise Sandra.
Old 03-19-2020, 12:35 PM

I was wondering if Sandra's idol was going to work for Denise, as Sandra's idol was good for 3 tribal councils.

Yes, it was Sandra's third tribal council, but it was Denise's 4th tribal council. Maybe a bit pedantic.

I think Sandra raises the flag on EoE. I think her chances of winning an EoE challenge is near zero, and she must realize that as well.

Natalie, Rob, Amber, and Ethan are all on EoE but they have a common bond outside the game of Survivor that no other Survivor 40 player has. Anyone know?

SPOILER:
They all were contestants on the Amazing Race

Sandra, Rob, Parvati, and Tyson are all on EoE but they have two common bonds inside the game of Survivor that no other Survivor 40 player has. Anyone know?

SPOILER:
Previous to Survivor 40, they played the game at least 3 times and they were all on the Villains tribes in Heroes vs Villians season and btw, their placement in this game (so far) correlates with their placement in HvV
Old 03-19-2020, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Sandra must have really drunk her own "I am the Queen" cool ade.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas09 View Post
I guess these "big players" just think poor old Denise can't think for herself at all?
Yes and yes.

I think Sandra truly believed Denise would be so grateful for the idol that she'd be in her pocket for the rest of the game. She didn't seem to even consider the possibilty of Denise turning on her. At TC, I paused it and said to my wife, "Denise should vote for Sandra." We discussed the pros and cons. If it didn't work and they both ended up back at camp, it would have made for a difficult situation. Neither of us was sure Denise had the stones to pull it off. When jeff turned around the last vote we both yelled "SHE DID IT!" Scared the cats.
That was definitely the move of the game. Using the second idol for Jeremy was smart, even though it turned out to be unnecessary. She did it for her own sake, not so much Jeremy's. A tie could have been disastrous.

As for the other TC, they edited to look like a mutiny againt Wendell was imminent. Not sure if that was ever seriously considered, but at least it added a modicum of drama to the vote.

I do wonder if, based on what went on at the respective camps, the producers speculated which of the two Tribal Councils would be more entertaining and held that one last? Or if they simply aired them in whichever order made for better TV, regardless of when they actually happened? Jeff did say, "Let's bring in the next group" after the Sele TC - but it was off-camera and could have been edited in.

Last edited by Wheelz; 03-19-2020 at 12:39 PM.
Old 03-19-2020, 12:43 PM

Quote:

BTW, has there ever been a case in the past where a player played an idol for someone else, and the person they played it for turned out to have voted for the original player? Because that may be a slightly awkward conversation - "Thanks for playing that idol for me Denise. Oh, did you notice that there were actually 4 votes against you? That's odd."
Yes. Eric, with the dumbest move in Survivor history.

Sandra just moved way up the list IMO.
Old 03-19-2020, 01:21 PM
Charter Member

It upset me that they used real rice in the challenge, a giant waste of food.
Old 03-19-2020, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDan1 View Post
Yes. Eric, with the dumbest move in Survivor history.

Sandra just moved way up the list IMO.
I wasn't referring to Sandra giving away her Immunity to get immediately voted out, I meant that Denise played immunity for Jeremy as her sole ally, after he had voted for her. Must have been awkward around the fire later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
It upset me that they used real rice in the challenge, a giant waste of food.
Maybe the survivors filled their pockets with rice while they were opening the bag.

Remember the Piranha Challenge where you had to rip pieces of meat off a roast with your teeth, then carry them to a scale in your mouth. Whichever team had the most meat after a certain time won. In addition to immunity, you won all the meat you had transported. Mm, meat that's been in someone else's mouth.