Old 03-27-2020, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas09 View Post
his trash-talking failure this episode (after already doing the same thing earlier during a challenge)
You know, I wish they had brought this up again. Because unless there was more that was cut out, I didn't see him as trash talking. I thought he was just making sure he had Jeff's attention, because he lost a challenge his season because he forgot to yell for Jeff.
Old 03-27-2020, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
I don’t like her either, but look on Twitter and podcasts, and you will see huge numbers of people lamenting the downfall of “the queen”.
I was a regular on the old Television Without Pity boards, and the TWoP crowd absolutely worshiped Sandra. It was also an article of faith on TWoP that the Sandra strategy (stay in the background and quietly sow discord) was the only "correct" way to play the game. Any time a player tried a big, dramatic move, the TWoPers would loudly condemn it, even if it worked. Personally, I've always found Sandra's anybody-but-me approach to be tedious and one-dimensional.

Her popularity is baffling. I understand why viewers might identify with a player who can win without being athletic, but her egotistical preening is a huge turn-off for me.
Old 03-27-2020, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enalzi View Post
You know, I wish they had brought this up again. Because unless there was more that was cut out, I didn't see him as trash talking. I thought he was just making sure he had Jeff's attention, because he lost a challenge his season because he forgot to yell for Jeff.
You're probably right. But in the ball maze challenge he definitely said "watch this Probst" and calling out "Hey Jeff, Hey Jeff" before you actually have, ya know, solved the puzzle is a bit brash, especially when you lose by a second or two.

The one he lost it wasn't like a second or two lapse, as I recall - it was a good handful of seconds just staring at his puzzle without saying anything.

In the end it was totally moot, since Michelle is apparently completely in the palm of his hand (or at least is being edited that way). Hopefully she breaks free at some point.
Old 03-27-2020, 05:31 PM

The problem of all the ousted people is because they came in with the status of a star as far survivor is concerned. None of these folks have any real chances of winning because they would always be the targets.

Now that the stars have been stripped out the real game begins.
Old 03-27-2020, 07:22 PM

Except that one of the stars will be back next week.
Old 03-27-2020, 07:27 PM

Quote:
In the end it was totally moot, since Michelle is apparently completely in the palm of his hand (or at least is being edited that way). Hopefully she breaks free at some point.

I don't know why you present the power dynamic as going in that direction. She was the one teasing Wendell that she had him sweating for a minute there.
Old 03-28-2020, 10:30 AM

Quote:
I don't know why you present the power dynamic as going in that direction. She was the one teasing Wendell that she had him sweating for a minute there.
Hmm... I guess I should re-check it. I suppose it's because we haven't seen him seem at all worried about her voting against her, while we have seen her talk about how mean is is being. You add in how everything we know about their prior relationship is that he hurt her, and I guess I ended up with the "jilted lover still pining for her man" posture. I think something about his body language around her and the way he keeps negging her (is that even still a thing?) looks to me a lot like a guy that knows a girl still has a thing for him and is using that to keep her on the leash.

But I hope you're right and she's playing him just to cut his throat. That would be beautiful. And I saw that as someone that didn't really mind Wendell his first time (or maybe I just don't remember him).
Old 03-28-2020, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingButStrong View Post
Except that one of the stars will be back next week.
True but the problem is that hes coming back way too soon and the alliances are pretty much defined and who wants to go to the finale with one of the people from the island??
Old 03-28-2020, 04:53 PM
Charter Member

Maybe I missed it, but has anyone discussed what really happened with Michelle and Wendell outside the game? At first, I just figured it was a romance that never really caught fire and they both went their separate ways. But, Michelle has said several times that he really hurt her (I'm assuming in a non-physical way). To me, that brings their relationship into the game. Is Michelle the aggrieved party? In their interactions together, he seems to be a bit bossy toward her. What's up with them?
Old 03-28-2020, 07:37 PM

I'm increasingly convinced that they are playing up the negativity between them to avoid being targeted as a "power couple". I guess that doesn't explain the private interview comments, but given that they are obviously experienced players, that might be intended to give the editors something to work with.
Old 04-01-2020, 01:41 PM

Merge and the (first?) EoE competition to get back into the game.

Here are the EoEers with my handicapping of getting back into the game

Tyson - One token and probably the best skilled to win obstacle/carnival challenges. 3-1
Natalie - 4 tokens and probably the most bad ass. 5-1
Rob - 3 tokens. (and might get Amber's token) 6-1
Yul - No tokens, 12-1
Parvati - No tokens 20-1
Danni - One token, 20-1
Amber - One token - 40-1 (probably bequeaths Rob her token.)

Players that last the longest in the game are the most handicapped at the EoE challenge because they haven't had a chance to accumulate tokens.

If Tyson or Rob get back in the game, I think they will be voted out immediately if they don't have immunity

The other EoEers gets through a couple of Tribal Councils before they are voted out.
Old 04-01-2020, 03:45 PM

I like your rankings except that I think you have Parvati too low.
Old 04-01-2020, 03:50 PM

I still think it's bullshit they let Rob & Amber both play in a season together, and the likelihood of one of them giving a token to the other makes it completely ridiculous. What possible in-game reason could one EoE denizen have to give a token to another one? There's nothing to trade it for, no votes going on, nothing. But it'll happen, because the producers are perfectly happy bending their own rules if they think it'll get the contestants they want further in the game.
Old 04-01-2020, 04:12 PM

Last time, didn't they make the Returnee immune for the next Tribal Council?
Old 04-01-2020, 04:27 PM

Quote:
They gave each returnee one of those split immunity idols, that they had to give one half to someone else, and then if/when the pieces were rejoined, it would become a real immunity idol. But that couldn't happen until after the next TC, so the returnee could be immediately voted out.

As it happened, Rick Devens (1st return) was a potential target at the TC right after he returned and got some votes, but someone else was voted out. When Chris returned, someone else played an idol for him that negated his single vote.
Old 04-01-2020, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muldoonthief View Post
I still think it's bullshit they let Rob & Amber both play in a season together, and the likelihood of one of them giving a token to the other makes it completely ridiculous. What possible in-game reason could one EoE denizen have to give a token to another one? There's nothing to trade it for, no votes going on, nothing. But it'll happen, because the producers are perfectly happy bending their own rules if they think it'll get the contestants they want further in the game.
Eh, I think you're making too much of it. If anything, Rob and Amber are at a disadvantage because they're seen as huge targets - as evidenced by the fact they were both voted off before the merge.

Maybe one of them gets back in the game; maybe that person has extra tokens. They're still unlikely to get anywhere near Final TC, in my opinion.
Old 04-01-2020, 05:27 PM

I think Wheelz makes a good point.
Old 04-01-2020, 05:53 PM

Does anyone remember what the fire token menu at EoE had? I remember they could get an advantage for the return challenge or an idol, but I don't remember how much.
Old 04-01-2020, 06:09 PM

I think maybe 5 tokens? Don't quote me on that.
Old 04-01-2020, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Does anyone remember what the fire token menu at EoE had? I remember they could get an advantage for the return challenge or an idol, but I don't remember how much.
IIRC, you pay one token for "one" advantage at the EoE Challenge. There are three possible advantages, so if you have 3 tokens you can buy an advantage.

Guessing: there are at least three stages to the EoE challenge, and there is an advantage at each stage.

Lets say Stage I is a wall to climb over., The advantage could me a shorter wall
Stage II is to crawl under a net. The advantage would be a higher net
Stage III is unlocking a lock to get a bag of puzzle pieces, The advantage would be less keys to choose from

I think you can also buy a HII for three tokens.

Here is the Token bank accounts for the EoE players that I posted last week

EoE
Natalie 4
Rob 3
Amber 1
Ethan 1
Danni 1
Tyson 1
Parvati 0
Yul 0
Old 04-01-2020, 09:32 PM
Charter Member

The challenge to return from Extinction Island was an all-time great challenge. I am genuinely cheering for Tyson to win the game at this point.
Old 04-01-2020, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
The challenge to return from Extinction Island was an all-time great challenge. I am genuinely cheering for Tyson to win the game at this point.
Agreed on the challenge. Everyone had a chance. (Not rooting for Tyson although he was my pick as the winner of the season)

The "No-Digging" advantage was significant, it sucked that Yul had no chance to earn any tokens,

I wonder how long Parvati and Amber and Yul took to dig out the string.
Old 04-02-2020, 08:19 AM

So notfrommensa, do you handicap horse races in your spare time?

The interesting thing about the advantage is that it saved you digging time, but also saved you exhausting yourself and having to do the ramp/ball puzzle with arms that feel like rubber.

Quote:
And it looks like this time they didn't give Tyson anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelz View Post
Eh, I think you're making too much of it. If anything, Rob and Amber are at a disadvantage because they're seen as huge targets - as evidenced by the fact they were both voted off before the merge.

Maybe one of them gets back in the game; maybe that person has extra tokens. They're still unlikely to get anywhere near Final TC, in my opinion.
That's a good point. The biggest difference is that their alliance is in no way secret, which 2 people agreeing to split a prize would be (secret from the other players at least).

But it turns out Amber did give Rob her single token so he could buy an HII, instead of buying herself an advantage. I wonder if he'd still get that HII if he returns to the game in the second EoE challenge.
Old 04-02-2020, 09:21 AM

Not too much to say about the episode other than that there was clearly more planning on the vote than was shown. Sophie was confident for a reason, and we only really saw discussion centering on the Ben/Tony/Jerome threesome, which is clearly a minority in a tribe of 12.

A bit odd that we weren't given any indication of what Tyson/Sarah/Denise/Kim were thinking (other than a clearly play-acting Denise saying she was fine with Adam going - nice job there, even though Ben ended up voting Wendell anyways). Hard to really suss out where the loyalties lie.

In the end another pre-existing relationship was targeted, which I suppose made it an easy vote.

The end result was +Tyson -Wendell, which is a net win for the viewer, I think.

It seems pretty wide open right now, because they haven't shown too many strong groups of any size. I guess Sophie/Adam/Denise are tight. Maybe Kim/Tyson will work together, but with who? And Ben/Tony/Jerome want to play the "big boys" game - maybe they bring in Kim, Tyson, and Sarah for 6? Nick and Michelle are out in the cold now, so who knows where they go... Should be interesting next episode.
Old 04-02-2020, 10:23 AM

I must admit I only half pay attention to this show, but it seems to me that they've changed something about the way they edit these episodes. Used to be you could sorta piece together the clues to figure out who was going to be voted out; now it's BLINDSIDE BLINDSIDE BLINDSIDE every week. They intentionally don't show you any of the conversations that would indicate such-and-such person is going home, so even if it was patently clear to everyone on the island, the viewer is left "stunned." Blindsides aren't all that stunning when they happen every week.
Old 04-02-2020, 05:38 PM

I agree, editing is completely out of touch with what happened. They showed no hint that Wendell would be main target. Sure it was mentioned in the group but it was quickly shut down and moved on.
Poor editing imo.
Old 04-02-2020, 05:51 PM
Charter Member

[QUOTE=muldoonthief;22225264...

But it turns out Amber did give Rob her single token so he could buy an HII, instead of buying herself an advantage. I wonder if he'd still get that HII if he returns to the game in the second EoE challenge.[/QUOTE]

Yeah Amber is just there to give Rob a edge and it's unfair. I think the Producers are helping Rob.
Old 04-02-2020, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaguri View Post
I must admit I only half pay attention to this show, but it seems to me that they've changed something about the way they edit these episodes. Used to be you could sorta piece together the clues to figure out who was going to be voted out; now it's BLINDSIDE BLINDSIDE BLINDSIDE every week. They intentionally don't show you any of the conversations that would indicate such-and-such person is going home, so even if it was patently clear to everyone on the island, the viewer is left "stunned." Blindsides aren't all that stunning when they happen every week.

I agree, and it's frustrating for hardcore fans of the show. I've said for years that they should offer an "expert version" of each episode that people could buy on iTunes (or they could provide it on CBS All Access to boost their subscription numbers). It might be a relatively small fraction of viewers who would want this, but I think at three bucks a pop they could make enough from it to make more profit than it would cost to pay for the extra editing hours. And it really wouldn't have to be all slickly edited, with musical transitions and wildlife shots. Just give us some straight-up video of how things went down.

Last edited by SlackerInc; 04-02-2020 at 05:56 PM.
Old 04-03-2020, 08:08 AM

Quote:
I agree, and it's frustrating for hardcore fans of the show. I've said for years that they should offer an "expert version" of each episode that people could buy on iTunes (or they could provide it on CBS All Access to boost their subscription numbers). It might be a relatively small fraction of viewers who would want this, but I think at three bucks a pop they could make enough from it to make more profit than it would cost to pay for the extra editing hours. And it really wouldn't have to be all slickly edited, with musical transitions and wildlife shots. Just give us some straight-up video of how things went down.
That would be awesome. Even just an after the fact video that has some confessionals explaining why folks voted how they did, what conversations they had, etc. I would sign up for All Access (at least during Survivor season) just for that.

I agree the editing seems to have been dumbed down, or just plain sloppy, the last few seasons. It's getting much harder to get a feel for who is doing what and for what reason. Unless, of course, it's that the players themselves have gotten far more cagey with what they are willing to say on camera - which is certainly possible I suppose. But there had to be some conversation between Kim/Tyson/Sarah/Sophie where they decided Wendell. I don't buy for a second that the big guys (Ben/Jerome/Tony) made that call and everyone else just went along with it.
Old 04-03-2020, 09:16 AM

Heck, how about the episode where Boston Rob got voted out. Last time we saw anyone talk about voting was Rob, Ben & Adam at the well agreeing to vote Sarah, then they all sat around staring at each other because of Rob's lockdown rule. Unless they all communicated by blinking morse code, there must have been some conversations between the 4 of them. Sarah had a steal a vote, and Sophie had an idol, I can't believe neither one of them played something just based on trusting what Ben & Adam told them before the challenge.
Old 04-03-2020, 11:02 AM

FWIW, according to Dalton Ross' interview with Jeff, the idols that Rob and Natalie bought before the return challenge are gone, as well as the fire tokens they used to buy them.
Old 04-03-2020, 01:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
FWIW, according to Dalton Ross' interview with Jeff, the idols that Rob and Natalie bought before the return challenge are gone, as well as the fire tokens they used to buy them.
Yes, and they could have bought up to FOUR advantages.

That's what I would have done. Altho honestly peanut butter the day before wasnt crazy, if you had extra tokens.
Old 04-03-2020, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
Yes, and they could have bought up to FOUR advantages.

That's what I would have done. Altho honestly peanut butter the day before wasnt crazy, if you had extra tokens.
I get Rob buying the idol, because he definitely would get knocked out as soon as he came back in. Natalie made a big mistake though. Most of the people who voted her off are on EoE!

I'm curious as to what the other advantages would do. It would've been cool if everyone could pick which advantage they wanted and see how that played out.
Old 04-03-2020, 02:17 PM

Speaking of fire tokens, here's the new menu at camp:

Merge Camp
Steal a player's spot on a reward (3 tokens)
Send a personal note to any player on the Edge of Extinction (2 tokens)
A small bag of beans (4 tokens)
A regular bag of rice (5 tokens)
Two pillows and two blankets (4 tokens)
A tarp (5 tokens)

I'm kinda surprised there's no real advantages.
Old 04-03-2020, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Heck, how about the episode where Boston Rob got voted out. Last time we saw anyone talk about voting was Rob, Ben & Adam at the well agreeing to vote Sarah, then they all sat around staring at each other because of Rob's lockdown rule. Unless they all communicated by blinking morse code, there must have been some conversations between the 4 of them. Sarah had a steal a vote, and Sophie had an idol, I can't believe neither one of them played something just based on trusting what Ben & Adam told them before the challenge.
Of course they had a chance to talk before the vote. Rob (along with everyone) did a talking head confession right before the vote.

And even Rob does not have a cast iron bladder.

Besides that, they talked before they lost the challenge.
Old 04-03-2020, 02:34 PM

Here's a link to all 3 Fire Token menus. Scroll about halfway down. The changes between the original tribal menu and the post merge menu was they took away the Advantage a Challenge (4 tokens) and Coffee & Pastry (3), and added steal a reward spot (3), and note to someone on EoE (2).
Old 04-03-2020, 11:25 PM

Quote:
That would be awesome. Even just an after the fact video that has some confessionals explaining why folks voted how they did, what conversations they had, etc. I would sign up for All Access (at least during Survivor season) just for that.

I agree the editing seems to have been dumbed down, or just plain sloppy, the last few seasons. It's getting much harder to get a feel for who is doing what and for what reason. Unless, of course, it's that the players themselves have gotten far more cagey with what they are willing to say on camera - which is certainly possible I suppose. But there had to be some conversation between Kim/Tyson/Sarah/Sophie where they decided Wendell. I don't buy for a second that the big guys (Ben/Jerome/Tony) made that call and everyone else just went along with it.

I feel very confident it's the editors. They have become addicted to "blindsiding" the audience at the end of every episode, at the expense of being able to actually follow the gameplaying.
Old 04-04-2020, 07:23 PM

Quote:
They had a revised menu right before the challenge:

1 token: Your don't have to dug up your string
2 tokens: Same as 1, plus [something I forget]
3 tokens: 1 and 2, plus 3 of your sticks will already be assembled (the long stick to grab the key)

3 tokens: immunity idol

If I were Rob, I might have gone with 2 advantages each to Rob & Amber to maximize the chance one of you gets back in.
Old 04-04-2020, 09:43 PM

Interesting idea, but I can see why he bought the HII, given that he would have had a huge target on his back immediately upon returning to the game. It came within a fraction of a second of working for him!
Old 04-08-2020, 08:59 PM

Missed most of the episode because of severe weather warnings.

What a clusterf*** of a tribal council.

Wiki has TV ratings which have spiked about 15% in the last three weeks.
Old 04-08-2020, 09:26 PM

It was absolutely wild. All the running around before TC was crazy too. I'd love to see some kind of chart showing what all plans were floated by whom and to whom.
Old 04-08-2020, 09:28 PM

"You thought it was an idol?"
"Yeah."
"Are you sure it isn't?"

Best host on TV.
Old 04-09-2020, 02:12 AM

There is some dispute on Twitter as to whether Probst was being unnecessarily cruel. I thought he was fine and even acknowledged at the end that it was worth a shot.
Old 04-09-2020, 08:12 AM

Nah, Probst wasn't too cruel - Adam was just desperate and the actions of desperate people always make us cringe. Sometimes in a good way, but for me at least Adam's were more "sad-cringe" than "laugh-cringe". Maybe because I tend to like him, and the dead silence when he asked for some reassurance was pretty cold. I guess he could take it as them liking him too much to lie to his face (except Ben), but still...

Better editing this week, I think, as they made it pretty clear the vote was between Nick and Adam and where the major players stood on the issue. The scramble at TC made it a bit up in the air, but not so much that it was shocking that Adam was snuffed.

As for Adam himself, I think he nailed it. He just made too many mistakes, starting on basically day one. He also never really cultivated the alliance with Ben, and was way too quick to throw other names out there to "change the game". He possibly could have kept his profile down and survived this vote, since it was actually shown that Ben had his back (changing it from Nick/Adam and Nick/Michelle). But he just can't play that way for some reason.
Old 04-09-2020, 09:03 AM

Saw this making the rounds on twitter.

On an international version of survivor (Australian Survivor) there was an idol hidden in plain sight on the hosts podium.

https://twitter.com/thepickydog/stat...85271834320897

Adam took a swing and he struck out, but you never hit a home run if you don't swing.
Old 04-09-2020, 09:44 AM

Quote:
As for Adam himself, I think he nailed it. He just made too many mistakes, starting on basically day one. He also never really cultivated the alliance with Ben, and was way too quick to throw other names out there to "change the game". He possibly could have kept his profile down and survived this vote, since it was actually shown that Ben had his back (changing it from Nick/Adam and Nick/Michelle). But he just can't play that way for some reason.
He was screwed as soon as he started that "Break Sarah and Ben up" and couldn't say anything other than he heard "other people" say it.
Old 04-09-2020, 05:45 PM

Quote:
He possibly could have kept his profile down and survived this vote, since it was actually shown that Ben had his back (changing it from Nick/Adam and Nick/Michelle). But he just can't play that way for some reason.

Rob Cesternino and Stephen Fishbach talked about this on the "Know-it-Alls" podcast. Rob's assessment was that Adam could probably have coasted to the end as a goat that everyone wanted to sit next to if he just stayed quiet and didn't make waves. But he doesn't want to be a zero-vote finalist, so he's bound and determined to make moves to build a resume, even if that makes it more likely he gets voted out early. Rob seemed to have respect for that approach, and I do too. There is a guy who used to post here who has a podcast on the RHAP network, and he and I have argued in the past about whether there is any point to doing whatever it takes to stay around another week (including throwing your allies under the bus or helping people you loathe advance). I say no, but he represents a school of thought that you should always do whatever it takes to "survive and fight another day" because "you never know". I think sometimes you do know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by notfrommensa View Post

On an international version of survivor (Australian Survivor) there was an idol hidden in plain sight on the hosts podium.

Adam took a swing and he struck out, but you never hit a home run if you don't swing.

Agreed. I have heard more and more that Aussie Survivor is supposed to be good. Have any of you watched it?
Old 04-09-2020, 07:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Agreed. I have heard more and more that Aussie Survivor is supposed to be good. Have any of you watched it?
I watched one season, the first one I think. It was pretty good. They made way more episodes, so there were more episodes without vote-outs.

One thing I liked about the season I saw was that before the reveal of the winner was done, they had the families of the finalists come out and stand with them. When the winner's name was ready, their family was with them. Very cute and fun.
Old 04-10-2020, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notfrommensa View Post

That's not Australian Survivor. I think it might be South African.

Aussie Survivor is usually pretty good. The extra episodes give you more time to get to know the contestants. There were 2 seasons a while ago, which were terrible (not actually Survivor), and five seasons since the reboot. The second season of the reboot (called Season 4) is my favourite season, and season 4 (aka 6) is good too.
Old 04-10-2020, 08:06 AM

Quote:
There is some dispute on Twitter as to whether Probst was being unnecessarily cruel. I thought he was fine and even acknowledged at the end that it was worth a shot.
He wasn't being cruel. No more cruel than when someone plays a fake idol and he says "This is...not a hidden immunity idol." and tosses it in the fire. Besides, apart from major physical injury, I see the players as puppets going through suffering for my amusement.