Old 04-10-2020, 10:27 AM

Adam's attempt at the podium "idol" was an all-time classic. I love that he tried for it. I would have loved if it was real. But I loved the way it went down too. And Jeff was masterful. "You want to play ... this." Survivor history.
Old 04-10-2020, 11:09 AM

I watched a couple seasons of South African survivor, but never Australian.

It would have been funny if Probst chucked his podium into the fire pit like he does fake idols that are played
Old 04-10-2020, 11:14 AM

I am disappointed that it wasnt an idol and Adam was saved. It would change the game big time which is what it needs. The game to be exciting needs to kick unexpected players to break alliances otherwise its a bore fest.
Old 04-10-2020, 11:26 AM

I loved that Adam took a shot at the podium idol. It was a very clever idea, and when it didnít work he seemed to take it in stride.

Other than that, however, I thought he came off as whiny and pouty throughout the episode and especially at TC. He helped to sink his own boat, really. And Adam has kind of rubbed me the wrong way since the start, so Iím shedding no tears over this one.
Old 04-10-2020, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muldoonthief View Post
He wasn't being cruel. No more cruel than when someone plays a fake idol and he says "This is...not a hidden immunity idol." and tosses it in the fire. Besides, apart from major physical injury, I see the players as puppets going through suffering for my amusement.

I actually thought he was less cruel than he often is about fake idols, so I was surprised at the indignation on Twitter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerJoe View Post
I am disappointed that it wasnt an idol and Adam was saved. It would change the game big time which is what it needs. The game to be exciting needs to kick unexpected players to break alliances otherwise its a bore fest.

I feel we have already moved too far in that direction and made the game too chaotic. I agree it needed to go some in that direction to avoid really boring stretches of Pagonging by dominant alliances, but they have taken twists and advantages too far IMO, and if it continues in this direction it will become sheer chance as to who is sitting there at the end.

Last edited by SlackerInc; 04-10-2020 at 02:24 PM.
Old 04-11-2020, 07:33 AM

I'm not a fan of Adam but I give him props for the attempt. I thought it was astute of him to consider that the podium fleur-de-lis may be an idol and he had nothing to lose by trying.

If it had been an actual idol we would all be talking about what a genius move that was.

mmm
Old 04-11-2020, 10:36 AM

An aside

Who was the intellectual player from Borneo (the country not Survivor Borneo)?
Old 04-11-2020, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
I feel we have already moved too far in that direction and made the game too chaotic. I agree it needed to go some in that direction to avoid really boring stretches of Pagonging by dominant alliances, but they have taken twists and advantages too far IMO, and if it continues in this direction it will become sheer chance as to who is sitting there at the end.
I completely agree with this sentiment. The game has become far too encrusted with variables to "keep it exciting" and backstops to protect popular players. The older players like Rob and Parvati have been ridiculed for using outdated strategy, but we're reaching a point where strategy is pointless. The clusterfuck at the last tribal council was amusing, sure, but it's embarrassing to see what a chaotic mess the game has become. Remember when Probst advised aspiring players to study John Nash's game theory work? There wouldn't be any point to that now.

It's hard to believe that we used to see players debating shelter construction, fishing to make themselves valuable, or informally deciding on a tribe leader.
Old 04-11-2020, 04:47 PM

/*****************

"""N BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBbbbbbbb'
Old 04-11-2020, 05:38 PM

I think there is still strategy afoot, but it is teetering on the edge of being a crapshoot and the trend is worrying.
Old 04-11-2020, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erysichthon View Post

It's hard to believe that we used to see players debating shelter construction, fishing to make themselves valuable, or informally deciding on a tribe leader.
Recent seasons have completely gotten away from showing us any scenes of life at camp -- fishing, gathering coconuts, debating whether to kill chickens (in fact, any issues of food at all). It's just alliance discussion followed by challenge followed by alliance discussion.
Old 04-11-2020, 06:24 PM

Not entirely so. Don’t forget about Tony’s ladder this season, which was a riot. But it would be nice to see more of that.
Old 04-11-2020, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Not entirely so. Donít forget about Tonyís ladder this season, which was a riot. But it would be nice to see more of that.
Back in episode 3, Sandra caught a baby shark; that was also played for laughs. We do still see some of that stuff.

The difference in earlier seasons is that the "camp life" stuff was relevant to the game. Players who performed useful tasks around camp were once considered valuable and worthy of keeping. The people who weren't good at those things had to find other ways to compete. The politics of managing the camp produced leaders and followers, and occasionally people were voted out for being "too bossy."

Now, it seems like everyone's functionally equivalent, and the only skills that matter are lying, misdirection, and idol-finding.
Old 04-11-2020, 07:36 PM
Charter Member

Crane, what the Hell was that supposed to be?
Old 04-11-2020, 07:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1953 View Post
Recent seasons have completely gotten away from showing us any scenes of life at camp -- fishing, gathering coconuts, debating whether to kill chickens (in fact, any issues of food at all). It's just alliance discussion followed by challenge followed by alliance discussion.
I know, I like seeing some survival aspects, finding food, catching fish.

I notice they didnt even try to put a roof on the shelter, which is why the rain made them so cold.
Old 04-11-2020, 09:25 PM

Makes me wonder if "shelter" is even the right word for something that doesn't have a roof!

So what do we make of Ben choosing all women for the reward challenge? That had to be some kind of purposeful strategy, right?
Old 04-11-2020, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Makes me wonder if "shelter" is even the right word for something that doesn't have a roof!

So what do we make of Ben choosing all women for the reward challenge? That had to be some kind of purposeful strategy, right?
It was a "school Yard" pick with Jeremy and Kim as the Captains. I assume Jeremy and Kim were picked at random.
Old 04-11-2020, 10:25 PM

Are you sure? I could have sworn they said Ben was a captain, and that his team had all women other than him.
Old 04-11-2020, 10:58 PM

Chronos et al,

I just noticed #209. Couldn't figure it out. Then I remembered - when I was fixing supper my lap top was open on the dining room table and I noticed the cat was sitting on the keyboard. Don't know how you could randomly get all the strokes needed to create a post, but she must have managed it.

I apologize profusely!
Old 04-11-2020, 11:30 PM

As long as the cat actually watched the entire episode, it's fine.
Old 04-12-2020, 01:00 AM

LOL
Old 04-12-2020, 06:26 AM

The cat has to go next tribal.

Are you with me or agin me?

mmm
Old 04-12-2020, 08:09 AM

What if it has a Hidden Immunity Idol? We'd better split the vote.
Old 04-12-2020, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Are you sure? I could have sworn they said Ben was a captain, and that his team had all women other than him.
Positive: 8 minute mark

https://www.cbs.com/shows/survivor/v...is-not-pretty/
Old 04-14-2020, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enalzi View Post
Is anyone else wondering how they're going to handle the finale if everything is still locked down? Obviously no audience, but they may not even be able to get the entire cast together.
Announced that the finale will be a virtual finale on May 13th

the May 6th episode will be a 2 hour episode.

https://ew.com/tv/survivor-winners-a...eunion-finale/

Tomorrow's episode is my least favorite episode of the season. The family reunion. This time a real family reunion as the Survivor rugrats are going to be on the island. UGH
Old 04-14-2020, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notfrommensa View Post

You're right, my bad. So I misheard "Kim" as "Ben", but it was four women and Ben--and the other team (captained by Jeremy) was all men. Jeremy had to be like "okay, fine by me" when Kim kept picking women, aside from Ben. But Kim had the last laugh on that one!
Old 04-15-2020, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notfrommensa View Post

Tomorrow's episode is my least favorite episode of the season. The family reunion. This time a real family reunion as the Survivor rugrats are going to be on the island. UGH
This seems really early, no? Usually it's a lot closer to the finale. All those introductions are going to dragggg.

Quote:
You're right, my bad. So I misheard "Kim" as "Ben", but it was four women and Ben--and the other team (captained by Jeremy) was all men. Jeremy had to be like "okay, fine by me" when Kim kept picking women, aside from Ben. But Kim had the last laugh on that one!
Frankly, if you're a captain on a reward challenge, your goal should not be to win, but to make sure you have all the people you want with you when the tribe splits up for the reward.
Old 04-15-2020, 10:55 AM

Yes. I wonder if Kim is hoping she can split up the Lions?
Old 04-15-2020, 11:15 AM

Yes, I don't think they have ever had the loved ones challenge this early. There are still 10 players in the game. And yes it probably will drag on and on.

Survivors had been known to throw challenges in the past, especially the Loved One Reward Challenge, so they don't look too strong, or have to choose others to take along with them.

Or even Immunity Challenges so they don't look too strong.

I wonder if the Fire Tokens to the winner of the IC is one way TPTB are trying to counteract that.

Listening to some of the podcasts this week, this the last opportunity for Jeremy to use his "Safety w/o Power" advantage.

I would like to see Sarah use her "Steal a Vote" advantage on Jeremy and Jeremy say "Not So Fast" and leave tribal council. Canceling the "Steal-a-Vote". Highly unlikely but it would be fun to watch.
Old 04-15-2020, 11:31 PM

Terrible episode. Thank god I only watch this show on the DVR so I could FF through 30 minutes of that bullshit.
Old 04-16-2020, 08:40 AM

I was wondering about the logistical issues of flying family members to Fiji, when it's not known exactly who is going to be needed to be on camera -- someone is getting kicked out 24 hours earlier, and it's like a 16 hour flight. I presume that the solution is to fly a lot more people than they need...so having the family members show up on Extinction Island was just an extension of that.

For the first 35+ seasons, two players whispering at TC would have extraordinary and noteworthy. Now it happens every time. What changed?

After Jeremy played his reward and left, Probst should have called for an immediate vote, with no time for huddles. It would have added more chaos, which is always nice.
Old 04-16-2020, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebrows 0f Doom View Post
Terrible episode. Thank god I only watch this show on the DVR so I could FF through 30 minutes of that bullshit.
Worse than I expected and I expected something really bad. (but I do hope that they gave the EoE people something to eat,)

And another ClusterF*** at Tribal Council. I think it is time TPTB curb the whispering.

I wish Sarah played her advantage before Jeremy.

pssst, Sarah, you don't steal a vote from the player you are voting to leave. If there had been a tie, and Denise was part of the tie, Denise would not have been able to vote, and Sarah would not have had an extra vote.
Old 04-16-2020, 09:19 AM

I'm so confused... Okay, they showed eight votes, and since they always show all votes for players other than the one to go, I presume the count was two for Denise, two for Sophie, and five for Tyson.

But who voted for whom? Anyone know?

I was talking about Survivor yesterday morning with my sister, and she was moaning about it being family visit and how awful and glurgy it was, and how Probst always came across as horribly intrusive while questioning the visitors/players, and how it would be even more awful this time because there still were ten people in the game.... and I said, heck, maybe they'll bring family to all the exile islanders, too.

I thought I was joking.
Old 04-16-2020, 09:23 AM

Wow, some of you have some real deep-seated issues witnessing sincere displays of emotion.

Old 04-16-2020, 09:37 AM

Quote:
I was wondering about the logistical issues of flying family members to Fiji, when it's not known exactly who is going to be needed to be on camera -- someone is getting kicked out 24 hours earlier, and it's like a 16 hour flight. I presume that the solution is to fly a lot more people than they need...so having the family members show up on Extinction Island was just an extension of that.
Sandra posted on Twitter that she got to see her family at Ponderosa too.

I wonder what they would've done if Rob and Amber were split between the tribe and extinction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingButStrong View Post
I'm so confused... Okay, they showed eight votes, and since they always show all votes for players other than the one to go, I presume the count was two for Denise, two for Sophie, and five for Tyson.

But who voted for whom? Anyone know?
I'm pretty sure Michelle flipped and voted for Tyson.
Old 04-16-2020, 12:07 PM

I don't mind the family visit (and it can sometimes be an interesting look at other sides of the competitors you don't see on the island) but it really eats up too much time, especially when they also have Edge eating up time. Add into that a TC that was all whispering and you didn't have that much of an episode, even with Advantageddon 2.0 happening.

I definitely agree that I think the whispering is getting out of hand, especially under these circumstances. Once Jeremy played his advantage that should've been it, especially since Sarah had even said she was ready to vote. Letting everyone talk again - off to the side like that - takes away some of the power of the advantages, which is the surprise element. Would be a lot easier to beat the majority if they can't discuss their new target and ending up screwing up. On the other hand you can say that takes out the strategy and someone getting to bombshell the vote is too much. Either way I think the whispering gets away from the idea of Tribal Council where everyone is talking to everyone, in the open, and you're not sure if it's truth or for show. Wouldn't surprise me if they were more strict in earlier seasons and the producers have just let it slide because they think it's exciting.

Yeah, Michelle flipped and voted for Tyson, so it was a 5-2-2 vote. (Remember when they showed the votes and we didn't have to look them up on Wikipedia after?)

Last edited by magnusblitz; 04-16-2020 at 12:10 PM.
Old 04-16-2020, 12:28 PM

I don't know why the minority group didn't just walk over to Sarah's group while they were discussing. It's not like they could stop them.
Old 04-16-2020, 12:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebrows 0f Doom View Post
Yeah, the "Loved ones' is a low point for me. However, they didnt have the loved ones challenge, another low point, let everyone have time, so that was a nice gesture, and nice gesture by Fiji air, too.

Question- Ben has had a large bandage on his right shoulder as far back as I remember. Often they are used to cover up a really nasty sunburn. But in Bens case- maybe for a tat the producers dont want people to see?
Old 04-16-2020, 12:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

After Jeremy played his reward and left, Probst should have called for an immediate vote, with no time for huddles. It would have added more chaos, which is always nice.
Remember, this time- everyone got to see loved ones. Except sandra the quitter.

Yeah. Immediate vote. Otherwise it's worth less.
Old 04-16-2020, 12:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Sandra posted on Twitter that she got to see her family at Ponderosa too.
They shouldn't have done that, sandra is a quitter and deserves nothing.
Old 04-16-2020, 12:48 PM

I don't know why the minority group didn't just walk over to Sarah's group while they were discussing. It's not like they could stop them.
Old 04-16-2020, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
Yeah, the "Loved ones' is a low point for me. However, they didnt have the loved ones challenge, another low point, let everyone have time, so that was a nice gesture, and nice gesture by Fiji air, too.

Question- Ben has had a large bandage on his right shoulder as far back as I remember. Often they are used to cover up a really nasty sunburn. But in Bens case- maybe for a tat the producers dont want people to see?
Yeah, he had that his original season too. He said in an interview he's got a John Deere logo tattooed there, in memory of his grandfather I believe.
Old 04-16-2020, 01:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muldoonthief View Post
Yeah, he had that his original season too. He said in an interview he's got a John Deere logo tattooed there, in memory of his grandfather I believe.
Ah, thank you. The bandage will also protect his shoulder from getting deep fried, as we have seen happen.
Old 04-16-2020, 01:38 PM

Quote:
They shouldn't have done that, sandra is a quitter and deserves nothing.
Which is exactly why she posted that on Twitter:
https://i.redd.it/7zshq9y433t41.jpg
Old 04-16-2020, 01:57 PM

This was one of my favorite episodes of the season. The stacking challenge is one of my favorites, Tribal Council had a hilarious standoff between Jeremy and Sarah -- and general good drama and twists overall, and I love the Loved Ones episode; it always gets me. Was especially moving to see them reunite with their children.

I'm weird, I guess. I like people and like to see them overcome with love and joy. YMMV.

That said, it would have been totally awesome for:

Jeff
Michelle! I'm sure you're ready for some good loving! Let's bring out your ex-boyfriend Wendell!
Old 04-16-2020, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Its a tattoo of his Grandfather with a John Deere logo

https://www.distractify.com/p/survivor-ben-tattoo

edit: ooops already answered

Last edited by notfrommensa; 04-16-2020 at 04:01 PM.
Old 04-16-2020, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonchild View Post
This was one of my favorite episodes of the season. The stacking challenge is one of my favorites, Tribal Council had a hilarious standoff between Jeremy and Sarah -- and general good drama and twists overall, and I love the Loved Ones episode; it always gets me. Was especially moving to see them reunite with their children.
See, I almost loved this episode, even though I generally hate the loved ones episodes (and this one was especially bad with the poor kids terrified and confused).

It had some great TC drama, and an actual live vote (or so I thought). I loved the standoff, and was very interested to know what would happen if Sarah played her "steal a vote" first". My thinking is she still gets his vote, but he still gets to leave (obviously). She stole the vote before he bailed. But I could see it going the other way (where her advantage is nullified because he isn't even there to steal from).

BUT, then they ruined it with the nonsensical editing. Either these players are idiots (doubtful) or there was some conversation where Michelle indicated she was playing with the majority. Or perhaps some other whispered conversation there. Because there is absolutely no reason to throw two votes at Denise unless you know that only two votes are coming back your way. I refuse to believe that a 5-person alliance with a 6-3 voting advantage would come up with a 4-2 split voting plan when clearly a 3-3 split saves your majority but 4-2 leaves you vulnerable to an idol. I think they knew they really had a 7-2 vote advantage (maybe Michelle was a Denise vote all along as a Jeremy/Denise split vote?) so they just needed to pick a primary target (Kim or Tyson) and decide who was throwing the second vote to Denise.

We want the "advanced viewers" cut now! Or at least some webisode material where the players explain what went down at TC (maybe we'll get it next week?).

As an aside, I did love Jeremy's "I'm a firefighter and we don't bail on our teammates" speech right before bailing on his teammates.

Last edited by Jas09; 04-16-2020 at 07:49 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 04-16-2020, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slates77 View Post
Was anyone else annoyed by all the whispering at tribal? Feels like I had no idea what was going on strategy wise
It should really only be featured when it's good TV, like Adam and Ben arguing while everyone else whispers. When we don't even know what's happening it the first place it's bad TV. Tribal Council is over an hour long edited down to a few minutes, so they could certainly cut it out.
Old 04-16-2020, 11:12 PM
Charter Member

Did anyone else get the feeling that the "everyone gets to go to the beach" was Jeff calling an audible? They had a challenge set up on the beach. I think Jeff was sincere when he said that the adults and teens were going to swim out to a sandbar offshore and he saw something in the kids' reaction that changed his mind. To me, the small children looked more upset and confused than excited to see mom/dad. Notice how there was no "goodbye" scene. That scene must have been really difficult to watch. The teens are old enough to understand what is going on, but the little ones couldn't possibly have a clue.
Old 04-17-2020, 03:15 AM

Interesting speculation on Jeff calling an audible! I assumed the challenge setup was a fakeout, but you might be right.

It's tough for the little kids to leave, but that presumably was true when their parent left originally as well. Overall it's nice for them to get a chance to see their parent in the midst of the absence.

Quote:
Frankly, if you're a captain on a reward challenge, your goal should not be to win, but to make sure you have all the people you want with you when the tribe splits up for the reward.

Great point.

Quote:
Wow, some of you have some real deep-seated issues witnessing sincere displays of emotion.

Yeah, ouch. The weird thing though is that in the past, I too tended to roll my eyes at the family visits. It didn't really make a lot of sense to me for people to lose their mind over seeing their mom when I see mine only a couple times a year.

But this situation, for me, was completely different because small children were involved. For the people who are still barfing over it all, are you not parents? It's hard for me to imagine any parent not being moved by those scenes of reunion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnusblitz View Post
I definitely agree that I think the whispering is getting out of hand, especially under these circumstances. Once Jeremy played his advantage that should've been it, especially since Sarah had even said she was ready to vote. Letting everyone talk again - off to the side like that - takes away some of the power of the advantages, which is the surprise element. Would be a lot easier to beat the majority if they can't discuss their new target and ending up screwing up. On the other hand you can say that takes out the strategy and someone getting to bombshell the vote is too much. Either way I think the whispering gets away from the idea of Tribal Council where everyone is talking to everyone, in the open, and you're not sure if it's truth or for show. Wouldn't surprise me if they were more strict in earlier seasons and the producers have just let it slide because they think it's exciting.

Stephen Fishbach said he used to think the whispering was exciting, but now it's just boring because you don't know what they are whispering about. I feel like he and everyone else who is trending this way are way behind the curve! I thought it was dumb and boring from the very first time it happened. We need to hear how people are conspiring, or at least be able to read subtitling, or it's pointless and we're just sitting there watching people lean into each others' ears and what's the point?