Old 05-16-2020, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDan1 View Post
In general I agree with you, but you can gain a certain element of trust by letting others know you have an idol.

You can also, if you have nerves of steel, get multiple rounds out of it by making people afraid to target you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by notfrommensa View Post
Speculation is that Michele would have got votes to win, except that jury members were afraid that a vote for Michele was a vote against Tony, and Natalie might win with a plurality rather than a majority.

Makes sense. I have heard multiple podcasters say that Michelle did not deserve to win but she deserved to get “some votes”. But that strikes me as a confused understanding of how this kind of voting works. If it’s something like a ranked choice ballot as they use for the Oscars, that’s one thing. But if a player does not deserve to win, why do they deserve to get any votes? Each vote on Survivor is a juror's entire expression of the single person they think should win above all the others. If jurors are getting together and planning out voting coalitions to reward the deserving with consolation votes, then they probably should just use a ranked choice ballot, or something even more complex where you can divvy up 100 points whichever way you wish.

ETA:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
I legit want a season with 20 runner-ups. You talk about a second-chance season? I want it made up of only runner-ups, and no runner-ups who later won. Just people who took second.

I love this idea!

This somehow reminds me of Francesca, one of my favorite players who very sadly got voted out first both times she played.

Last edited by SlackerInc; 05-16-2020 at 12:15 AM.
Old 05-16-2020, 01:15 PM

Yeah I dont like the idea that the jury is not an individual decision.
Basically what we saw is that on that last tribal council the jury had already made their mind on who would win.
Old 05-17-2020, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
I legit want a season with 20 runner-ups. You talk about a second-chance season? I want it made up of only runner-ups, and no runner-ups who later won. Just people who took second.
Quote:
Originally Posted by enalzi View Post
Eh, that'd be a lot of goats other than Dom. I would like to see the next All-Stars be all players who have only played once, and maybe got to at least the final 6.
Got me kinda curious to see, and yeah, I agree with enalzi that'd it be slim pickings (at least with those restrictions): (spoilered just for space)

SPOILER:
Second-place finishers who won on other seasons: Boston Rob, Parvarti

If we're eliminating second-place finishers who played multiple seasons (either before or after they finished second) that eliminates: Wigglesworth, Tina, Stephenie, Danielle DiLorenzo, Ozzy, Courtney, Amanda, Fishbach, Hantz, Phillip, Coach, Skupin, Dawn, Monica Culpepper, Woo, Spencer, Tasha, Aubry, Brad Culpepper

That leaves the following players:
S3 - Kim Johnson - lost 5-2 to Ethan - is 75 years old
S4 - Neleh Dennis - lost 4-3 to Vecepia
S5 - Clay Jordan - lost to 4-3 to Brian Heidik despite being "the series' first unofficial goat" because Brian was that much of an asshole)
S6 - Matthew Von Ertfelda - lost 6-1 to Jenna
S7 - Lillian Morris - lost 6-1 to Sandra
S9 - Twila Tanner - lost 5-2 to Chris D.
S10 - Katie Gallagher - lost 6-1 to Tom
S14 - Cassandra and Dreamz - lost 9-0-0 to Earl
S17 - Susie Smith - lost 4-3 to Bob
S21 - Chase Rice - lost 5-4 to Fabio
S24 - Sabrina Thompson - lost 7-2 to Kim
S25 - Lisa Whelchel - lost 6-1-1- to Denise
S26 - Sherri Biethman - lost 9-0-0 to Cochran
S29 - Jaclyn Shultz - lost 5-2-1 to Natalie
S30 - Carolyn Rivera and Will Sims lost 6-1-1 to Mike
S33 - Hannah Shapiro and Ken McNickle - lost 0-0 to Adam
S35 - Chrissy Hofbeck - lost 5-2-1 to Ben
S36 - Dominic - lost 6*-5 to Wendell
S37 - Mike White - lost 7-3 to Nick
S38 - Gavin - lost 9-4 to Chris U.
S39 - Dean - lost 8-2 to Tommy

Yeah not a whole lot of interesting players on there. I'm sure Dom will be back some day, but there's an awful lot of goats there.

If you didn't mean to eliminate players who have played multiple times but never won, then you can get a lot more good players in there.
Old 05-17-2020, 08:27 AM

Back to basics

OK the 40th reunion made sense and the families were fun, but that's enough already. Retreads make it just another sitcom. What's next - Rupert and Russell?

How about more survival activity and less celeb gossip.
Old 05-17-2020, 10:50 AM

Mahaloth only eliminated 2nd place finishers who did not win.

So that adds Amanda, Fishbach, Russell, Coach, Ozzy, Woo, Spencer, Aubrey, Tasha and the Culpeppers. Some interesting players IMO, not that I want to see Russell play again.

Probst mentioned that 16-17 yr olds could apply. Due to the lack of clothing and numerous wardrobe malfunctions it would creepy to have under-aged players in the game.

I guess I am in the minority, but I like to returnee seasons. And the survival aspect is not as interesting to me. If I want to see that, I watch Naked and Afraind. I think TPTB should give them more clothes, especially rain gear. And give them swim suits instead of them running around in their underwear.

Some players I would like to see comeback

IoI - Elaine, Jamal
EoE - Devins, Victoria
DvG - Christian, Angelina
GI - Domenick, Kellyn
Old 05-17-2020, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane View Post
OK the 40th reunion made sense and the families were fun, but that's enough already. Retreads make it just another sitcom. What's next - Rupert and Russell?

Agree. They might as well shoot Survivor in a Burbank studio now, like Big Brother. Remember the early seasons where you got to meet a bunch of new people, get to know them, and watch them actually try to, you know, survive in some harsh conditions?

Now it's all relatively cushy, they all know what to expect, and they can't walk five feet without stubbing a toe on an immunity idol. We're just watching professional game players conspire between the occasional physical contest. Might as well turn it into a board game and just point a camera at them playing around a dining room table.

Bring back the old Survivor.
Old 05-17-2020, 11:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane View Post

Yes, more fishing, food gathering, etc.

Make it so that providers and workers are necessary and dotn get voted off early.