Old 02-28-2020, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
Amazon has both produced by That Pickle Guy.
I got my That Pickle Guy giardiniera today, and holy crud is that spicy! I'm thinking a bit on a local BBQ joint brisket sandwich would be amazing. I've got 24 oz of this stuff and I can't see ever using it up, it is way spicy.
Old 02-29-2020, 02:46 AM

^ If it's too spicy for you, try making it yourself with the recipe I posted upthread.

Last edited by jerez; 02-29-2020 at 02:47 AM.
Old 02-29-2020, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeegee View Post
I got my That Pickle Guy giardiniera today, and holy crud is that spicy! I'm thinking a bit on a local BBQ joint brisket sandwich would be amazing. I've got 24 oz of this stuff and I can't see ever using it up, it is way spicy.
They also have a mild version available, but their hot is about the level of the standard Chicago giardiniera you'd get at beef stands or Subway. I don't remember it being particularly hot -- no more than your usual pickled jalapeno or so -- , but that particular brand does them in small batches, and pepper heat can vary quite a bit, so I suppose it's possible you got a hotter batch than usual (though I'd expect them to taste and adjust as necessary.)

(Some brands also have an "extra hot" variety, and Bari (a local Italian deli) sells their own homemade Super Hot giardiniera, which truly is blow-your-face-off hot. Delicious, but tastes like not much more than a mix of habaneros and other chili peppers in a garlicky oil. There's no other vegetables in there -- oh, wait -- it also has capers. But no carrots, celery, cauliflower, olives, etc. Now that oil is gold, but that's the one giardiniera I have to use judiciously.)
Old 02-29-2020, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
They also have a mild version available, but their hot is about the level of the standard Chicago giardiniera you'd get at beef stands or Subway. I don't remember it being particularly hot -- no more than your usual pickled jalapeno or so -- , but that particular brand does them in small batches, and pepper heat can vary quite a bit, so I suppose it's possible you got a hotter batch than usual (though I'd expect them to taste and adjust as necessary.)
I routinely eat pickled jalapenos and don't consider them at all spicy, like just barely. I guess I got a hot batch. It's still really yummy, I'll eat it, but judiciously, on top of a fatty sandwich perhaps -- I'm not sure what else it's good for. Or, like jerez said, I'll make my own, which looks easy enough.
Old 02-29-2020, 11:45 AM

Quote:
I routinely eat pickled jalapenos and don't consider them at all spicy, like just barely. I guess I got a hot batch. It's still really yummy, I'll eat it, but judiciously, on top of a fatty sandwich perhaps -- I'm not sure what else it's good for. Or, like jerez said, I'll make my own, which looks easy enough.
I could also just have completely sheared off my heat-tasting taste buds, as well, so maybe I'm not the best to judge.

Giardiniera is mostly used here on Italian beef (of course), often on pizza, and on any type of submarine sandwich. Well, any sandwich, really (burgers included, though I don't see it being used that way often.) Some people will also put it on hot dogs or sausages (it does go great with Italian sausage.) Anywhere you might use a pickle, you can use it, of course. I've also heard of people mixing some in with their pasta salad.

Last edited by pulykamell; 02-29-2020 at 11:49 AM.
Old 02-29-2020, 11:55 AM
Charter Member

I like to drop a tablespoon in my red sauce when I make a big batch.
Damn, now I need to make red sauce - off to the store...
Old 02-29-2020, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Oh, I should also add, that recipe isn't really quite a Chicago-style giardiniera, if you're specifically looking to make that. That's still just regular pickles, not stored in oil, like Chicago giardiniera is. (There is a token amount of oil used at the end to top off and "seal" the jar at the end, but that's a miniscule amount.) Some giardinieras don't even have vinegar in them, but rather ferment the veggies before preserving them in oil. That Pickle Guy doesn't list vinegar in their giardiniera, so I'm guessing it's fermented, as I remember a slight acidic taste to it. It's been a year and a half since I last had it, though. Typically, though, you'll see oil as the first or second ingredient on a giardiniera, and vinegar way down on the bottom of the ingredients list.
Old 02-29-2020, 08:35 PM

I can now report, from firsthand knowledge, that giardiniera on a smoked brisket sandwich is yummy.
Old 03-01-2020, 09:31 AM
Charter Member

Try it on pizza - it'll change your life
Old 03-01-2020, 10:21 AM

Quote:
I can now report, from firsthand knowledge, that giardiniera on a smoked brisket sandwich is yummy.
OK...you're well on your way to becoming One of Us.
Old 05-13-2020, 11:23 PM

So I did eventually try pickling via fermenting. I got four wide mouth mason jars and a kit on Amazon with glass weights and airlock jar tops. I've fermented cabbage and gotten pretty good sauerkraut. I'm fermenting some jalapenos now, jury is out.

Fermenting cucumbers was a bit of a bust: I used Persian cucumbers, quartered, with dill and garlic, and... the pickles were soft and mushy. Refrigerator pickles were hands-down better. Further reading seems to show that crisping cucumbers is quite the art. I've got some Ball Pickle Crisp in my Amazon cart, and I may try better Persians from a farmer's market, plus Pickle Crisp, plus maybe dowsing the cucumbers in ice water before pickling. Anyone have tips?
Old 05-13-2020, 11:40 PM
Charter Member

Pickle crisp is the same stuff they put in cans of diced tomatoes to keep them from turning to mush (calcium chloride) - works pretty good.
Old 05-18-2020, 07:34 PM

OK, I let the jalapenos ferment for 10 or 11 days. They finally grew milder, and I stuck them in the fridge. But they have a weird metallic flavor on top of the "mmm, pickled peppers" flavor that I'm not enjoying. Possibly they've gone bad, but I cautiously ate half of one little slice, waited a day and didn't get ill. I think I'm going to call this one a failure though.