Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #101  
Old 03-11-2020, 11:26 AM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 37,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damuri Ajashi View Post
The tea party was full of energetic people too. They ran the most conservative person they could find in every safe red seat. it was not good for the country but a lot of far right conservatives are happy with the results.
Yes, the far right is bad -- morally and for the country. The "far left" (or at least those like AOC), on the other hand, are good -- morally and for the country. So more AOC-style politicians and success would be good for the country.
  #102  
Old 03-11-2020, 11:43 AM
drad dog is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 7,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damuri Ajashi View Post
Democracy.

Extreme left liberals are certainly not helping the situation.
Saying this is 2020 is an absurd distraction from the actual situation.
  #103  
Old 03-11-2020, 12:48 PM
Miller's Avatar
Miller is offline
Sith Mod
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Bear Flag Republic
Posts: 45,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damuri Ajashi View Post
Were tea partiers that primaried moderate Republicans helping Republicans or helping Democrats?
Republicans, obviously. How is this even a question? Do you think the Tea Part hurt the Republican party as a whole? Please keep in mind, the question is "help the Republican party," not "help the country." Obviously, I feel that the Tea Party led to awful policies, but that's not a function of the Tea Party's distance from the American political center, that's a function of the general awfulness of conservative politics, which the Tea Party distilled to it's purest essence.
  #104  
Old 03-11-2020, 03:48 PM
Damuri Ajashi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 21,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
I don't know why you're so hung up on Crowley. I like AOC better than Crowley, and I'm glad she ran and won. If you want to encourage guys like Crowley to run in safe blue districts, feel free. I'd prefer if safe blue districts had more like AOC and fewer like Crowley.
I'm hung up on Crowley because it illustrates the ideological purity that the left is looking for. Crowley was a progressive by every measure. Even someone like you can't really find fault with him. He just didn't buy into the crazier more self destructive aspects of far left ideology.

Fortunately, it appears that the Democratic party is rejecting the far left ideology that AOC represents and i look forward to her losing her seat in the next election as people actually pay attention this time around. I was sort of hoping that Crowley's neice would mobilize his sizable political machine to unseat AOC but it appears she is going to the top county spot. I'm not sure she could win but I'd send her money if she ran because AOC is bad for the district, bad for the party and bad for the country. We need more people like her in the party but not in office.
  #105  
Old 03-11-2020, 03:53 PM
Damuri Ajashi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 21,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
Yes, the far right is bad -- morally and for the country. The "far left" (or at least those like AOC), on the other hand, are good -- morally and for the country. So more AOC-style politicians and success would be good for the country.
That is just your opinion. Aside from the racism, I'm not sure how the far left is so much better than the far right. Racism is no small thing and it keeps me on the left side of the aisle and I would support AOC over a Republican these days but if it was a George HW Bush or John McCain in the white house, I might feel differently.
  #106  
Old 03-11-2020, 04:07 PM
Damuri Ajashi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 21,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
Republicans, obviously. How is this even a question? Do you think the Tea Part hurt the Republican party as a whole? Please keep in mind, the question is "help the Republican party," not "help the country." Obviously, I feel that the Tea Party led to awful policies, but that's not a function of the Tea Party's distance from the American political center, that's a function of the general awfulness of conservative politics, which the Tea Party distilled to it's purest essence.
And some people might say that the Justice Democrats are distilling the worst parts of liberal policy to its purest essence.
  #107  
Old 03-11-2020, 04:09 PM
Chingon is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: the hypersphere
Posts: 1,077
Yes a conservative would dislike justice Democrats, and a liberal would dislike tea party Republicans. Not that deep of an insight.
  #108  
Old 03-11-2020, 05:10 PM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 37,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damuri Ajashi View Post
I'm hung up on Crowley because it illustrates the ideological purity that the left is looking for. Crowley was a progressive by every measure. Even someone like you can't really find fault with him. He just didn't buy into the crazier more self destructive aspects of far left ideology.

Fortunately, it appears that the Democratic party is rejecting the far left ideology that AOC represents and i look forward to her losing her seat in the next election as people actually pay attention this time around. I was sort of hoping that Crowley's neice would mobilize his sizable political machine to unseat AOC but it appears she is going to the top county spot. I'm not sure she could win but I'd send her money if she ran because AOC is bad for the district, bad for the party and bad for the country. We need more people like her in the party but not in office.
There's no "purity". I liked Crowley fine. I just like AOC better. We replaced a good model for a better model, and in a safe blue district. I would vote for Crowley against a Republican (if I lived in that district), and I'd vote for AOC over Crowley.

And AOC is right that her "side" is winning on the issues -- Democrats overwhelmingly favor UHC, a much higher minimum wage, higher taxes on the wealthy, climate change action, etc. Most of that is due to Bernie and allies.
  #109  
Old 03-11-2020, 05:13 PM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 37,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damuri Ajashi View Post
That is just your opinion. Aside from the racism, I'm not sure how the far left is so much better than the far right. Racism is no small thing and it keeps me on the left side of the aisle and I would support AOC over a Republican these days but if it was a George HW Bush or John McCain in the white house, I might feel differently.
I don't understand your argument here. AOC and allies are so much better than the tea party because their preferred policies would make American lives' better with more fairness and equity, and the tea party would do the opposite. I'm sure they disagree, but why is this notable?
  #110  
Old 03-11-2020, 07:59 PM
Miller's Avatar
Miller is offline
Sith Mod
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Bear Flag Republic
Posts: 45,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damuri Ajashi View Post
And some people might say that the Justice Democrats are distilling the worst parts of liberal policy to its purest essence.
People say a lot of stupid shit. What of it?
  #111  
Old 03-12-2020, 04:05 PM
Damuri Ajashi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 21,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingon View Post
Yes a conservative would dislike justice Democrats, and a liberal would dislike tea party Republicans. Not that deep of an insight.
Never said it was. Would you like to share one of your deep insights?
  #112  
Old 03-13-2020, 11:24 AM
Damuri Ajashi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 21,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
I don't understand your argument here. AOC and allies are so much better than the tea party because their preferred policies would make American lives' better with more fairness and equity, and the tea party would do the opposite. I'm sure they disagree, but why is this notable?
I suppose I'm just pointing out that your opinion is not fact. That is the entire point behind democracy. Your opinion counts no more and no less than a conservative's opinion. You're both probably wrong in some ways but we are relying on the social contract of democracy and the wisdom of the masses to get us to the right place.
  #113  
Old 03-13-2020, 11:25 AM
Damuri Ajashi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 21,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
There's no "purity". I liked Crowley fine. I just like AOC better. We replaced a good model for a better model, and in a safe blue district. I would vote for Crowley against a Republican (if I lived in that district), and I'd vote for AOC over Crowley.

And AOC is right that her "side" is winning on the issues -- Democrats overwhelmingly favor UHC, a much higher minimum wage, higher taxes on the wealthy, climate change action, etc. Most of that is due to Bernie and allies.
If her "side" is the far left then almost all of the things you list were already mainstream Democrat/liberal before she ever got elected.

Crowley supports UHC, Crowley supports a much higher minimum wage, Crowley supports higher taxes on the wealthy, Crowley supports climate change action, etc. Most of that happens regardless of Bernie.

The difference between mainstream Democrats and the Justice Democrats isn't things like UHC generally. It's how radically you want to depart from what we have now. For example. Mainstream Democrats seem to be in favor of a more incremental approach: public option, expanded medicaid, health insurance subsidies. The far left want government to more or less take over the health care sector.
  #114  
Old 03-13-2020, 11:27 AM
Damuri Ajashi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 21,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
People say a lot of stupid shit. What of it?
And some people would say that criticizing the tea party is stupid shit and that the tea party made the Republican party better and made America better. Your opinions are just that.
  #115  
Old 03-13-2020, 12:00 PM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 37,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damuri Ajashi View Post
I suppose I'm just pointing out that your opinion is not fact. That is the entire point behind democracy. Your opinion counts no more and no less than a conservative's opinion. You're both probably wrong in some ways but we are relying on the social contract of democracy and the wisdom of the masses to get us to the right place.
So what? How does this affect this discussion? Yes, I think I'm right and the tea party is wrong. And water is wet and the sky is blue. What does such an obvious and mundane fact have to do with this discussion?
  #116  
Old 03-13-2020, 01:18 PM
drad dog is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 7,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
So what? How does this affect this discussion? Yes, I think I'm right and the tea party is wrong. And water is wet and the sky is blue. What does such an obvious and mundane fact have to do with this discussion?
He is trying to equivocate and erase the realpolitik differences between left and right to spam lefties and get his jollies. Without identifying as a conservative.

It's getting to be as ridiculous as the potus and his coronavirus. And headed the same way.
  #117  
Old 03-13-2020, 02:45 PM
Damuri Ajashi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 21,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
So what? How does this affect this discussion? Yes, I think I'm right and the tea party is wrong. And water is wet and the sky is blue. What does such an obvious and mundane fact have to do with this discussion?
The aspect of the tea party I was focusing non was extremists pushing out moderates. Your excuse for why this is OK is that you like AOC's brand of extremism. It doesn't really address whether she is doing what i say she is doing. Which is exactly what the tea party did.

You just happen to think it's OK for the extreme left to take over the Democratic party but it was a bad thing for the tea party to do the same with the Republicans.
  #118  
Old 03-13-2020, 02:50 PM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 37,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damuri Ajashi View Post
The aspect of the tea party I was focusing non was extremists pushing out moderates. Your excuse for why this is OK is that you like AOC's brand of extremism. It doesn't really address whether she is doing what i say she is doing. Which is exactly what the tea party did.



You just happen to think it's OK for the extreme left to take over the Democratic party but it was a bad thing for the tea party to do the same with the Republicans.
She's not extremist. And so far she hasn't done anything bad.
__________________
My new novel Spindown
  #119  
Old 03-13-2020, 03:14 PM
Miller's Avatar
Miller is offline
Sith Mod
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Bear Flag Republic
Posts: 45,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damuri Ajashi View Post
And some people would say that criticizing the tea party is stupid shit and that the tea party made the Republican party better and made America better. Your opinions are just that.
Do you even know what point you're trying to make? Because I sure as fuck don't. Take any opinion in the world, and "some people" are going to disagree with it. I can't figure out how you figure this is a useful or relevant insight.
  #120  
Old 03-13-2020, 06:23 PM
CarnalK's Avatar
CarnalK is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 20,115
He's trying to get you to understand that if ice is bad then logically so is boiling water. Because they're the same thing in his head. It's wrong, but I get it.

Last edited by CarnalK; 03-13-2020 at 06:24 PM.
  #121  
Old 03-13-2020, 06:51 PM
drad dog is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 7,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damuri Ajashi View Post
The aspect of the tea party I was focusing non was extremists pushing out moderates. Your excuse for why this is OK is that you like AOC's brand of extremism. It doesn't really address whether she is doing what i say she is doing. Which is exactly what the tea party did.

You just happen to think it's OK for the extreme left to take over the Democratic party but it was a bad thing for the tea party to do the same with the Republicans.
So the Rs have done this self destructo act lately, by this very method, and you need to push on us here a line that it's not that: it's really everyone who does this and none of the reasons for the R party of 2020 can be attributed to ideological matters.

It was really just an accident...
  #122  
Old 03-15-2020, 12:31 PM
Damuri Ajashi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 21,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
She's not extremist. And so far she hasn't done anything bad.
She is absolutely extremist. Have you read the green new deal?
  #123  
Old 03-15-2020, 12:46 PM
Damuri Ajashi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 21,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
Do you even know what point you're trying to make? Because I sure as fuck don't. Take any opinion in the world, and "some people" are going to disagree with it. I can't figure out how you figure this is a useful or relevant insight.
I guess the point I am trying to make (for those who aren't trying to misunderstand what i am saying) is that iiandyiiii's statements are only opinions. He is presenting his OPINION to rebutt FACTS. His opinions are worthless in the face of facts, or at least they should be.
  #124  
Old 03-15-2020, 12:52 PM
Damuri Ajashi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 21,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
She's not extremist. And so far she hasn't done anything bad.
I think that is because you are also fairly extreme. Some of the things you would find acceptable or even desirable are pretty far to the left.

Not the stuff like Universal health care and higher taxes. Every Democrat from Biden to Schumer agree with that stuff. It's the stuff that the AOC brand Democrats condemn the Biden camp Democrats for not supporting.

If you don't agree with the majority of Democrats then go start your own party, stop trying to hijack ours. We don't need a tea party revolution in the Democratic party.

I like her most recent tweets calling for unity behind whoever wins the primaries (which is clear enough at this point that she knows she is basically supporting Biden). There may be hope for her yet.
  #125  
Old 03-15-2020, 01:04 PM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 37,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damuri Ajashi View Post
I guess the point I am trying to make (for those who aren't trying to misunderstand what i am saying) is that iiandyiiii's statements are only opinions. He is presenting his OPINION to rebutt FACTS. His opinions are worthless in the face of facts, or at least they should be.
You haven't presented any facts that rebut my opinions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damuri Ajashi View Post
I think that is because you are also fairly extreme. Some of the things you would find acceptable or even desirable are pretty far to the left.

Not the stuff like Universal health care and higher taxes. Every Democrat from Biden to Schumer agree with that stuff. It's the stuff that the AOC brand Democrats condemn the Biden camp Democrats for not supporting.

If you don't agree with the majority of Democrats then go start your own party, stop trying to hijack ours. We don't need a tea party revolution in the Democratic party.

I like her most recent tweets calling for unity behind whoever wins the primaries (which is clear enough at this point that she knows she is basically supporting Biden). There may be hope for her yet.
This is just, like, your opinion, man.

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 03-15-2020 at 01:05 PM.
  #126  
Old 03-15-2020, 02:46 PM
drad dog is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 7,016
We have big tighty righty, and tighty whitey, problems right now. We don't have lefty problems really. If the right is a problem structurally for society (it is) then the left is where the good ideas are going to be from. This would be because they are opposing each other on matters of public policy. Duh.

To what extent are they staking out postions in opposition of the other? I'm going to say as much as is humanly possible and then moreso.

Holding onto old ideas as a middle way between left and right is not going to work except to seal us up in oligarchy.
  #127  
Old 03-15-2020, 02:50 PM
drad dog is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 7,016
If the right slides into bad public policy, because republicanism, then how could anyone argue that there needs to be a balance of left and right? Or that the left presents a "threat"? A threat to what? To bad tighty righty public policy?
  #128  
Old 03-15-2020, 04:39 PM
madmonk28 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 13,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damuri Ajashi View Post
She is absolutely extremist. Have you read the green new deal?
Sorry to jump in, but I have read it. Can you point to where its extreme bits?
  #129  
Old 03-21-2020, 09:11 PM
Damuri Ajashi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 21,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
You haven't presented any facts that rebut my opinions.
Perhaps you don't understand what it is I think is the opinion I am countering with fact.

Your opinion is that AOC has only replaced shitty Democrats. In fact the very first Democrat she unseated was a very progressive Democrat.

Your opinion is that the Justice Democrats are not comparable to the tea party. I presented facts that show how the tea party pulled the party to the right and how the Justice Democrats are attempting to pull the party to the left.

You might like what the justice Democrats are doing just like some conservatives like what the tea party did. but that is what the Justice Democrats are doing. They are trying to fight crazy with a different brand of crazy.

Quote:
[This is just, like, your opinion, man.
Yes, that is why I preface everything with the words "I think that..." That is a common way that people indicate that the words that follow are an opinion.
  #130  
Old 03-21-2020, 09:23 PM
Damuri Ajashi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 21,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmonk28 View Post
Sorry to jump in, but I have read it. Can you point to where its extreme bits?
I think a government job guarantee is extreme.
100% renewable energy by 2030 is extreme especially when nuclear is also considered unacceptable
Raising marginal tax rates to 70% is extreme

That's off the top of my head. I suspect there are other things I might have missed.

Did she have a government takeover of health care in there?
  #131  
Old 03-21-2020, 09:26 PM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 37,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damuri Ajashi View Post
Perhaps you don't understand what it is I think is the opinion I am countering with fact.

Your opinion is that AOC has only replaced shitty Democrats. In fact the very first Democrat she unseated was a very progressive Democrat.
No, she hasn't replaced anyone except for Crowley. But she's only advocated replacing shitty Democrats. She replaced Crowley because she ran for his seat. Progressives running for seats in very blue districts is always a good thing and I'll always be in favor of it. My statement earlier was about her political advocacy -- which, as far as this discussion is concerned, has been for replacing shitty Democrats.

Unless and until she helps lose a Democratic House seat, I'm going to disagree with you here, and you haven't presented any facts that run counter to what I've asserted.

Quote:
Your opinion is that the Justice Democrats are not comparable to the tea party. I presented facts that show how the tea party pulled the party to the right and how the Justice Democrats are attempting to pull the party to the left.
They also both are made up of humans who breathe oxygen. Obama also tried to pull the country to the left, just like Hitler tried to pull Germany to the right. And all of these things have roughly the same relevance and connection to each other.

In other words, you're offering nothing more than saying, over and over again, they're like the tea party. But you saying they're like the tea party doesn't make them like the tea party. And trying to pull a party in one direction or the other doesn't make them like the tea party. There have always been groups that try to pull parties in one direction or the other, and they're not always like the tea party. Only the ones that consistently advocate for bigoted, harmful, and stupid policies are like the tea party.

Quote:
You might like what the justice Democrats are doing just like some conservatives like what the tea party did. but that is what the Justice Democrats are doing. They are trying to fight crazy with a different brand of crazy.
"Crazy" is an opinion, and I disagree with it.
  #132  
Old 03-21-2020, 09:59 PM
Linden Arden is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 641
AOC claims to be a 'Democratic Socialist' right?

Then she should be forced to resign and run as the third party she is.

She won't be missed at all.
  #133  
Old 03-21-2020, 10:03 PM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 37,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linden Arden View Post
AOC claims to be a 'Democratic Socialist' right?

Then she should be forced to resign and run as the third party she is.

She won't be missed at all.
If you want to doom the future of the party, sure. I, for one, would prefer if energetic and talented young progressives were welcomed by the party, since so many young people are as progressives as she is. Seems like a dumb idea to me to actively reject the type of progressivism that so many young people are attracted to.
  #134  
Old 03-21-2020, 10:08 PM
Linden Arden is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 641

The self titled 'Green New Deal' is absolute garbage and I say that as a Climate activist


Quote:
Originally Posted by Damuri Ajashi View Post
She is absolutely extremist. Have you read the green new deal?
AOC larded up her 'Green New Deal' with health care, job guarantees, and countless other handouts.

We need a Green Deal that focuses on reversing man-made climate catastrophe. AOC just ladled lard out to do-nothings.
  #135  
Old 03-22-2020, 09:59 PM
Damuri Ajashi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 21,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
No, she hasn't replaced anyone except for Crowley. But she's only advocated replacing shitty Democrats. She replaced Crowley because she ran for his seat. Progressives running for seats in very blue districts is always a good thing and I'll always be in favor of it.
And this is what the tea party did. I have no desire to see what happened to the Republican party also happen to the Democratic party. At least one of the parties has to present a sane option.

Quote:
My statement earlier was about her political advocacy -- which, as far as this discussion is concerned, has been for replacing shitty Democrats.
She replaced a good Democrat with herself, a politician so bad that even YOU have to defend her based on what she may one day become.

Quote:
Unless and until she helps lose a Democratic House seat, I'm going to disagree with you here, and you haven't presented any facts that run counter to what I've asserted.
The constituency of those house seats is also important. Less loonies in the party is better than more loonies in the party. All you are saying is that she is only going after Democrats in safe seats. How is that a good thing?

Quote:
They also both are made up of humans who breathe oxygen. Obama also tried to pull the country to the left, just like Hitler tried to pull Germany to the right. And all of these things have roughly the same relevance and connection to each other.
That is a pretty silly argument. Obama didn't do anything that a mainstream Democrat wouldn't do. AOC is pushing for politicians that are well outside the overton window. The type of politician that can ONLY win in a safe Democratic seat.

Quote:
In other words, you're offering nothing more than saying, over and over again, they're like the tea party. But you saying they're like the tea party doesn't make them like the tea party. And trying to pull a party in one direction or the other doesn't make them like the tea party. There have always been groups that try to pull parties in one direction or the other, and they're not always like the tea party. Only the ones that consistently advocate for bigoted, harmful, and stupid policies are like the tea party.
I'm not saying they are like the tea party because they hold the same beliefs as the tea party. I thought that would be obvious. They are like the tea party because they are targeting fellow Democrats in safe seats to try and push the party as far left as possible regardless of what that means for the country and the party as a whole.

Quote:
"Crazy" is an opinion, and I disagree with it.
Of course it's just a descriptor but it's not a bad one. It's a matter of opinion but the argument has been presented that what the tea party did was great for the Republican party. And maybe so but it was horrible for the country. We got an ultra partisan party in a two party system that attracted and energized the craziest elements of the right and they installed Donald Trump as President. I feel like we don't need to try and top them in that race.
  #136  
Old 03-22-2020, 10:02 PM
Damuri Ajashi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 21,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
If you want to doom the future of the party, sure. I, for one, would prefer if energetic and talented young progressives were welcomed by the party, since so many young people are as progressives as she is. Seems like a dumb idea to me to actively reject the type of progressivism that so many young people are attracted to.
If she is the future of the party then we are doomed anyway. What she is pushing isn't progressivism, it is radical.
  #137  
Old 03-22-2020, 10:04 PM
Damuri Ajashi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 21,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linden Arden View Post
AOC larded up her 'Green New Deal' with health care, job guarantees, and countless other handouts.

We need a Green Deal that focuses on reversing man-made climate catastrophe. AOC just ladled lard out to do-nothings.
I would like my grandchildren to live in a world that isn't filled with constant turmoil that would come from global warming but the notion that we can get to zero emissions by 2030 is about as close to crazy as you can get policywise.
  #138  
Old 03-22-2020, 10:16 PM
GIGObuster's Avatar
GIGObuster is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Arizona
Posts: 29,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linden Arden View Post
AOC larded up her 'Green New Deal' with health care, job guarantees, and countless other handouts.

We need a Green Deal that focuses on reversing man-made climate catastrophe. AOC just ladled lard out to do-nothings.
Post #74 and #76 shows that while you may be a climate activist (I doubt it) it is clear that you are not aware of the societal impact climate change has as it was noticed by the women experts that contributed to Scientific American.

More of how in reality those do-nothings are in reality the future ones that will be affected by the changes in climate.

https://nca2018.globalchange.gov/
  #139  
Old 03-23-2020, 05:54 AM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 37,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damuri Ajashi View Post
And this is what the tea party did. I have no desire to see what happened to the Republican party also happen to the Democratic party. At least one of the parties has to present a sane option.
No, the tea party ran bad people in bad districts. This is different than running good people in good districts. And her side is sane.

The difference here is opinion, not fact. You don't like these people, so you don't like the idea of more of them winning. I do like these people, so I do want more of them winning.

Quote:
AOC is pushing for politicians that are well outside the overton window.
This is how the overton window shifts. It's the only way, in fact, to shift the overton window.

There is no disagreement on facts here -- only on opinion. We don't need to keep beating this horse -- you don't like AOC and her allies, and I do.
  #140  
Old 03-23-2020, 07:36 AM
RTFirefly is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Maryland
Posts: 41,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damuri Ajashi View Post
I would like my grandchildren to live in a world that isn't filled with constant turmoil that would come from global warming but the notion that we can get to zero emissions by 2030 is about as close to crazy as you can get policywise.
We're liable to get closer if we try than if we don't.
  #141  
Old 03-30-2020, 06:57 AM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 37,855
Interesting article on AOC out for Politico: https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...he-left-150767

IMO this supports my suspicion that she's an enormously talented politician, and possibly a future president with skills comparable to Obama (just a suspicion and hope right now!).

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 03-30-2020 at 06:59 AM.
  #142  
Old 03-30-2020, 09:29 AM
JRDelirious is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Distanced
Posts: 16,464
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
Interesting article on AOC out for Politico: https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...he-left-150767

IMO this supports my suspicion that she's an enormously talented politician, and possibly a future president with skills comparable to Obama (just a suspicion and hope right now!).
Whoa, whoa there, dang, let's not get too gushy. It is indicative that she does learn, and she has potential but Obama comparisons are purely speculative (and anyway it's not like he was superhuman, either) FWIW Obama was teaching Constitutional Law in his 30s, was first elected to office at state assembly level when he was 36, and burst into national attention in 2004 at 43. So give her a decade and yeah, she could be there. But we'll need to see what her performance is like in the meantime.

Last edited by JRDelirious; 03-30-2020 at 09:30 AM.
  #143  
Old 03-30-2020, 10:05 AM
Miller's Avatar
Miller is offline
Sith Mod
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Bear Flag Republic
Posts: 45,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damuri Ajashi View Post
I guess the point I am trying to make (for those who aren't trying to misunderstand what i am saying) is that iiandyiiii's statements are only opinions. He is presenting his OPINION to rebutt FACTS. His opinions are worthless in the face of facts, or at least they should be.
Ah, I get it. His unsupported assertions are worthless opinions, but YOUR unsupported assertions are rock hard facts.
  #144  
Old 03-30-2020, 03:03 PM
Damuri Ajashi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 21,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
Interesting article on AOC out for Politico: https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...he-left-150767

IMO this supports my suspicion that she's an enormously talented politician, and possibly a future president with skills comparable to Obama (just a suspicion and hope right now!).
I find this highly encouraging. Stepping away from primarying already liberal politicians with even MORE liberal politicians is a good development. If she keeps it up, perhaps she can be a positive force in American politics.
  #145  
Old 03-30-2020, 03:04 PM
Damuri Ajashi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 21,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
Ah, I get it. His unsupported assertions are worthless opinions, but YOUR unsupported assertions are rock hard facts.
What unsupported assertions?

Joe Crowley is by EVERY measure a liberal Democrat.

Her initial stance was to replace some liberal Democrats with even MORE liberal Democrats.

That is exactly the tactic that the Tea party adopted.
  #146  
Old 03-30-2020, 03:05 PM
Damuri Ajashi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 21,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
No, the tea party ran bad people in bad districts. This is different than running good people in good districts. And her side is sane.
The tea party's professed goal was to run the most conservative politician that could get elected in a red district. The fact that you don't like their politics doesn't change the dynamics.

Quote:
The difference here is opinion, not fact. You don't like these people, so you don't like the idea of more of them winning. I do like these people, so I do want more of them winning.
No, it's fact. You were advocating primarying incumbents if a more radical politician could win in the district.

Quote:
This is how the overton window shifts. It's the only way, in fact, to shift the overton window.
That's ridiculous.

Quote:
There is no disagreement on facts here -- only on opinion. We don't need to keep beating this horse -- you don't like AOC and her allies, and I do.
I don't like what she is doing. There is no "opinion" being expressed about what she is doing. It is fact. (Or at least it was)
  #147  
Old 03-30-2020, 03:06 PM
Damuri Ajashi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 21,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
We're liable to get closer if we try than if we don't.
At what cost? What do you think trying to get to zero emmissions by 2030 will entail? Especially if it doesn't include nuclear?
  #148  
Old 03-30-2020, 03:22 PM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 37,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damuri Ajashi View Post
No, it's fact. You were advocating primarying incumbents if a more radical politician could win in the district.
Yes, and I still advocate that (if by "more radical" you mean "more progressive"). That's a fact. It's your opinion that this is bad for some reason, and it's my opinion that this is a great thing. The disagreement is on this opinion, not any facts.
  #149  
Old 03-30-2020, 03:32 PM
Miller's Avatar
Miller is offline
Sith Mod
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Bear Flag Republic
Posts: 45,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damuri Ajashi View Post
What unsupported assertions?
That far left politics are just as bad as far right politics, purely because they're both equally distant from your notion of the political center in this country.
  #150  
Old 03-30-2020, 03:47 PM
chargerrich is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakminster View Post
Good riddance. She's a nutter and we're better off without her.
I have to agree here... I personally despise both extremes. i like going about as far left as Andrew Yang and as far right as - cringe - Mitt Romney (not a fan, but id take 4 years of Mitt just to ensure no more Trump)..
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:16 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2019 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017