Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 03-15-2020, 05:01 PM
DSeid's Avatar
DSeid is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 23,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensive Indifference View Post
I'm not overly familiar with Baldwin, but after a quick scan of her Wiki page, she looks pretty interesting. She opposed the Iraq war, supported ACORN, supports single payer, and generally seems like someone progressives could get behind. Also, being a gay woman doesn't hurt. Wisconsin replaces Senators by special election, though, so the Democrats would have to fight for her seat if she became VP. As a pessimistic sort, I'd prefer the VP choice not put a Senate seat in play.

She's been in Congress since 1999. Any major scandals?
Only scandal thrown at her was this attempt and it got no traction.

Yes there would be a calculated risk in a special election which is a downside. I don't see her sexual orientation as either helping or hurting her, but oh yeah personally the vision of Pence getting destroyed in a debate by a gay woman pleases me.
  #52  
Old 03-15-2020, 05:24 PM
Win Place Show is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 308
I forget in which thread I first heard Gretchen Whitmer (governor of Michigan)'s name, but after reading more about her I liked her as a favorite option (up there with Harris and Duckworth).

There must be some boxes she doesn't check, to have not been mentioned thus far in this thread.
  #53  
Old 03-15-2020, 08:09 PM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 37,855
Biden just promised in the debate that he will pick a woman VP.
__________________
My new novel Spindown

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 03-15-2020 at 08:13 PM.
  #54  
Old 03-15-2020, 08:10 PM
dalej42 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 16,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
Biden just promised in the debate that he will pick a women VP.
Yup, looks like Biden has made his decision.
__________________
Twitter:@Stardales IG:@Dalej42 He/Him/His
  #55  
Old 03-15-2020, 08:11 PM
Lance Turbo is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 4,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
Biden just promised in the debate that he will pick a women VP.
Can confirm.
  #56  
Old 03-15-2020, 08:13 PM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 37,855
I'm extremely glad to hear that.
__________________
My new novel Spindown
  #57  
Old 03-15-2020, 08:25 PM
dalej42 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 16,469
It’s on the official Joe Biden Twitter account.
https://twitter.com/joebiden/status/...999222784?s=21
__________________
Twitter:@Stardales IG:@Dalej42 He/Him/His
  #58  
Old 03-15-2020, 08:27 PM
dalej42 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 16,469
Itís on the official Joe Biden Twitter account.
https://twitter.com/joebiden/status/...999222784?s=21
__________________
Twitter:@Stardales IG:@Dalej42 He/Him/His
  #59  
Old 03-15-2020, 08:36 PM
E-DUB's Avatar
E-DUB is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 5,099
Michigan resident here. No gripe with Whitmer, but her resume is a little thin. A fact which takes on greater significance given Joe's age.
  #60  
Old 03-15-2020, 10:11 PM
Exapno Mapcase is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: NY but not NYC
Posts: 32,448
I'm going with Amy Klobachar. Midwestern, moderate, likable, re-elected to the Senate twice, and from a state with Democratic governor who gets to pick a replacement, critical to keep control of the Senate. And Jill Biden likes her.

Stacey Abrams doesn't have the qualifications for President. Kamala Harris has too much baggage. Tammy Baldwin also has baggage, even in 2020. Elizabeth Warren would be great, but we can't have two 70+ year olds. The rest of the names are unknown. The best of the pack is Gretchen Whitmer. And it's true that polls have Biden leading Trump by a safer margin in Minnesota. Plus she doesn't affect the Senate.

Even so, from public statements of how much they like each other and how important her endorsement was, I'm sticking with Klobachar.
  #61  
Old 03-15-2020, 10:19 PM
Win Place Show is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 308
I'll admit to not knowing much yet about Klobuchar, but something about the way Mayor Pete was able to frazzle her so badly during their last debate is a little bit unsettling to me.
  #62  
Old 03-15-2020, 10:38 PM
erysichthon's Avatar
erysichthon is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Win Place Show View Post
I'll admit to not knowing much yet about Klobuchar, but something about the way Mayor Pete was able to frazzle her so badly during their last debate is a little bit unsettling to me.
It's personal. She can't stand Buttigieg. She'll be fine as long as she doesn't have to be around him.
  #63  
Old 03-16-2020, 12:52 AM
Kolak of Twilo's Avatar
Kolak of Twilo is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Edgewater/Chicago
Posts: 4,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exapno Mapcase View Post
I'm going with Amy Klobachar. Midwestern, moderate, likable, re-elected to the Senate twice, and from a state with Democratic governor who gets to pick a replacement, critical to keep control of the Senate. And Jill Biden likes her.

Stacey Abrams doesn't have the qualifications for President. Kamala Harris has too much baggage. Tammy Baldwin also has baggage, even in 2020. Elizabeth Warren would be great, but we can't have two 70+ year olds. The rest of the names are unknown. The best of the pack is Gretchen Whitmer. And it's true that polls have Biden leading Trump by a safer margin in Minnesota. Plus she doesn't affect the Senate.

Even so, from public statements of how much they like each other and how important her endorsement was, I'm sticking with Klobachar.
There was something about the apparent chemistry between them the night they appeared together at the rally in Texas where Klobuchar endorsed Biden that made me see what a strong ticket they would be.

For those who think it needs to be Abrams or Harris to secure African American voters - Biden already has that demographic locked up. He needs someone from the upper Midwest/Rust Belt to secure MN, WI, MI and PA. Klobuchar will help with that.

Last edited by Kolak of Twilo; 03-16-2020 at 12:52 AM.
  #64  
Old 03-16-2020, 01:28 AM
SlackerInc's Avatar
SlackerInc is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Northern Minnesota
Posts: 13,482
Surprised no one has mentioned Michelle Lujan Grisham. Governor of New Mexico, so she's got executive experience to bring to bear if she has to step into the job right away. Former member of the U.S. House, so she's got experience with DC and Congress. She's a woman, obviously (no men need apply, per Joe at tonight's debate), and a Latina to boot. That checks a lot of boxes!
__________________
SlackerInc on Twitter: http://twitter.com/slackerinc
  #65  
Old 03-16-2020, 05:56 AM
JKellyMap's Avatar
JKellyMap is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 10,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
Surprised no one has mentioned Michelle Lujan Grisham. Governor of New Mexico, so she's got executive experience to bring to bear if she has to step into the job right away. Former member of the U.S. House, so she's got experience with DC and Congress. She's a woman, obviously (no men need apply, per Joe at tonight's debate), and a Latina to boot. That checks a lot of boxes!
Never heard of her until now, but me gusta.
  #66  
Old 03-16-2020, 06:02 AM
JKellyMap's Avatar
JKellyMap is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 10,440
Interesting how Lujan Grisham is "Hispanic" in much the same way that Obama is "Black/African American." In both cases, their heritage experience is not the one we typically associate with those categories. Lujan Grisham is from one of those New Mexico Spanish families that was there a century before the US even existed.
  #67  
Old 03-16-2020, 11:03 AM
Aspenglow's Avatar
Aspenglow is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Oregon
Posts: 4,919
Duplicate 504.

Last edited by Aspenglow; 03-16-2020 at 11:06 AM.
  #68  
Old 03-16-2020, 11:04 AM
Aspenglow's Avatar
Aspenglow is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Oregon
Posts: 4,919
I've said Klobuchar for months, and I see no reason to change that prediction. I'll be amazed if it's someone else.

I suspect he has Harris in mind for that SCOTUS seat, although I'm sure there are many other equally qualified black women who could have it.
  #69  
Old 03-16-2020, 11:14 AM
BobLibDem is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Home 07 NCAA HockeyChamps
Posts: 22,347
I'm a Michigan resident and I personally like Whitmer. The Republican Michigan legislature is refusing to help her find a way to improve the roads, since doing so requires more revenue and they basically have a "thou shalt not tax" attitude. I don't know if she would bring much to the ticket. I think Harris would be a stronger choice, she'd chew Pence alive during her debate and spit out the bones and hair. I'd be cool with Klobuchar. I think Warren would scare too many of the more moderate voters.
  #70  
Old 03-16-2020, 11:48 AM
Jonathan Chance is offline
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: On the run with Kilroy
Posts: 23,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
I'm a Michigan resident and I personally like Whitmer. The Republican Michigan legislature is refusing to help her find a way to improve the roads, since doing so requires more revenue and they basically have a "thou shalt not tax" attitude. I don't know if she would bring much to the ticket. I think Harris would be a stronger choice, she'd chew Pence alive during her debate and spit out the bones and hair. I'd be cool with Klobuchar. I think Warren would scare too many of the more moderate voters.
I came into this thread knowing I'd say Whitmer.

Woman
Won office several times in Michigan
Current governor
Will be replaced by another Democrat - a black one - so no worries there
48 years old

She checks a lot of boxes Joe could use. And Michigan is an epic-level swing state. We need it badly and she knows how to deliver it.

For the others? Klobuchar and Harris would be great cabinet level appointees. Make Julian Castro Secretary of DHS and tell him to clean up ICE and CBP. That'll get people moving. Mayor Pete for SecState. He's wonky, good with languages and well-respected for his knowledge.
  #71  
Old 03-16-2020, 11:54 AM
Aspenglow's Avatar
Aspenglow is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Oregon
Posts: 4,919
I just heard Whitmer on live television say that she would do everything she could to support Biden, but it would not be her.

I had the impression she was making it clear she has no interest in the position, not that she didn't expect to be considered/asked.
  #72  
Old 03-16-2020, 11:54 AM
Exapno Mapcase is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: NY but not NYC
Posts: 32,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspenglow View Post
I've said Klobuchar for months, and I see no reason to change that prediction. I'll be amazed if it's someone else.

I suspect he has Harris in mind for that SCOTUS seat, although I'm sure there are many other equally qualified black women who could have it.
Klobachar was always my first pick, but there was a small possibility that Biden would go with Julian Castro to energize Hispanic voters. That's gone now.

There is zero chance he will go with someone not already nationally known and vetted. The odds of a Biden health crisis are too high.

For most practical purposes the choice of vice president affects the ticket less than statistical noise. Whether it matters even in a very close election is debatable. But when the stakes are this high why take chances?
  #73  
Old 03-16-2020, 11:56 AM
Defensive Indifference is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 7,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Chance View Post
For the others? Klobuchar and Harris would be great cabinet level appointees. Make Julian Castro Secretary of DHS and tell him to clean up ICE and CBP. That'll get people moving. Mayor Pete for SecState. He's wonky, good with languages and well-respected for his knowledge.
I like these choices. Castro at DHS is a genius move. Harris for AG maybe.
  #74  
Old 03-16-2020, 11:57 AM
BobLibDem is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Home 07 NCAA HockeyChamps
Posts: 22,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Chance View Post
I came into this thread knowing I'd say Whitmer.

Woman
Won office several times in Michigan
Current governor
Will be replaced by another Democrat - a black one - so no worries there
48 years old

She checks a lot of boxes Joe could use. And Michigan is an epic-level swing state. We need it badly and she knows how to deliver it.

For the others? Klobuchar and Harris would be great cabinet level appointees. Make Julian Castro Secretary of DHS and tell him to clean up ICE and CBP. That'll get people moving. Mayor Pete for SecState. He's wonky, good with languages and well-respected for his knowledge.
I can't argue with any of that. I still think Harris would be a stronger asset on the campaign trail, but I also have her as my first choice for AG. Totally on board with Castro at DHS. I'd find a cabinet spot for Buttigieg, but I'm not sure about SOS. I'd see if Kerry would like to do it again and let him have a go at patching things up with Iran.
  #75  
Old 03-16-2020, 12:05 PM
CarnalK's Avatar
CarnalK is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 20,115
You can't argue with Mayor Pete becoming Sec State? Sweet jesus, guys. You realize there's shitloads of intelligent qualified people who have not run for president, right?
  #76  
Old 03-16-2020, 12:08 PM
What the .... ?!?! is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Location, Location
Posts: 4,393
How about the gay, black, lady mayor of Chicago?
  #77  
Old 03-16-2020, 12:12 PM
Happy Lendervedder's Avatar
Happy Lendervedder is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Michigan
Posts: 15,772
IIWB (if I were Biden), I'd ask Kerry to come back and do a couple of years as SoS to mop up the mess, appoint mayor Pete to UN ambassador to give him some global experience, then move him up to SoS when Kerry retires.
  #78  
Old 03-16-2020, 12:55 PM
Fiveyearlurker is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 7,081
It's Abrams or Harris. I doubt there is anyone else under serious consideration.
  #79  
Old 03-16-2020, 01:14 PM
CarnalK's Avatar
CarnalK is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 20,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveyearlurker View Post
It's Abrams or Harris. I doubt there is anyone else under serious consideration.
Ridiculous. I am quite sure his list is bigger than the internet political junkie fan list.
  #80  
Old 03-16-2020, 01:38 PM
Fiveyearlurker is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 7,081
I'm sure his list is about 50 names deep. Hence the word "serious" in that sentence.
  #81  
Old 03-16-2020, 01:40 PM
BobLibDem is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Home 07 NCAA HockeyChamps
Posts: 22,347
Maybe he's borrowing Romney's binders full of women.
  #82  
Old 03-16-2020, 01:45 PM
Defensive Indifference is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 7,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK View Post
You can't argue with Mayor Pete becoming Sec State? Sweet jesus, guys. You realize there's shitloads of intelligent qualified people who have not run for president, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK View Post
Ridiculous. I am quite sure his list is bigger than the internet political junkie fan list.
I know that running around telling everyone they're wrong is kind of your jam, but if you have and suggestions or predictions to offer, they are also welcome in this thread.
  #83  
Old 03-16-2020, 01:46 PM
Fiddle Peghead's Avatar
Fiddle Peghead is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Harlem, New York, NY
Posts: 4,762
Since I've stated on more than one occasion that I'm pretty sure it will be Klobuchar, I'm sticking with that. This from the guy who predicted Biden had no chance and would fade quickly, right after he announced, based on previous performance.
  #84  
Old 03-16-2020, 01:49 PM
asahi's Avatar
asahi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: On your computer screen
Posts: 13,259
I'm really hoping it's not Klobuchar, and it's not b/c I don't like her, but that would be akin to Hillary selecting Tim Kaine all over again. Another boring-as-hell white senator from a swing state.

As much as I think that Abrams has potential upside, there's potential downside as well. At this point, she is still a political novice. I don't think she's earned her stripes just yet, although in some ways that would be an asset and not a liability, especially in these times.

I'm kinda hoping it's either Harris or some other person of color (NM's governor for instance). I think Biden already has the white working class rust belt vote. What he needs is to bring in more young voters and he needs to inspire Black and Latino voters to actually go to the polls. Klobuchar doesn't do it. Abrams just might. Harris might, but she has baggage.
  #85  
Old 03-16-2020, 02:46 PM
CarnalK's Avatar
CarnalK is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 20,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensive Indifference View Post
I know that running around telling everyone they're wrong is kind of your jam, but if you have and suggestions or predictions to offer, they are also welcome in this thread.
I'm not running around telling everyone they're wrong. There have been a bunch of interesting suggestions from the different corners of the country, like the NM governor. But that is just it: Biden has a breadth of knowledge and advice from the party that it is really silly to limit choices to the recent shiny stars that political junkies are fascinated with. It's like the old joke about the guy looking for his keys near the lamppost because he'll never find them in the dark alley where he dropped them.
  #86  
Old 03-16-2020, 03:00 PM
Defensive Indifference is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 7,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK View Post
I'm not running around telling everyone they're wrong. There have been a bunch of interesting suggestions from the different corners of the country, like the NM governor. But that is just it: Biden has a breadth of knowledge and advice from the party that it is really silly to limit choices to the recent shiny stars that political junkies are fascinated with. It's like the old joke about the guy looking for his keys near the lamppost because he'll never find them in the dark alley where he dropped them.
So, no suggestions of your own then, nor input beyond telling everyone they're wrong silly?
  #87  
Old 03-16-2020, 03:19 PM
CarnalK's Avatar
CarnalK is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 20,115
Again, I'm not telling everyone they're silly. I think it's silly to focus on Abrams. I think it's silly that every 2020 candidate is getting a cabinet appointment. I honestly don't know enough experienced "not always making national news but solid party favorites" to make guesses. Like I said, I am finding the suggestions from the more hidden corners quite interesting.

Last edited by CarnalK; 03-16-2020 at 03:20 PM.
  #88  
Old 03-16-2020, 03:34 PM
Chronos's Avatar
Chronos is offline
Charter Member
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Land of Cleves
Posts: 88,635
Really, I don't think his statement that it's going to be a woman really changes the landscape much. As it happens, right now the Democratic bench is mostly women, and most of the potential choices folks were talking about anyway are women.

I feel like Klobuchar is likely, but I hope it's not her. We've already got a boring guy on the top of the ticket, and while boring might be a refreshing change of pace from Trump, it doesn't have a great track record of winning elections.
  #89  
Old 03-16-2020, 03:35 PM
Chronos's Avatar
Chronos is offline
Charter Member
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Land of Cleves
Posts: 88,635
Really, I don't think his statement that it's going to be a woman really changes the landscape much. As it happens, right now the Democratic bench is mostly women, and most of the potential choices folks were talking about anyway are women.

I feel like Klobuchar is likely, but I hope it's not her. We've already got a boring guy on the top of the ticket, and while boring might be a refreshing change of pace from Trump, it doesn't have a great track record of winning elections.
  #90  
Old 03-16-2020, 03:38 PM
Defensive Indifference is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 7,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK View Post
Sweet jesus, guys. You realize there's shitloads of intelligent qualified people who have not run for president, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK View Post
Ridiculous. I am quite sure his list is bigger than the internet political junkie fan list.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK View Post
I honestly don't know enough experienced "not always making national news but solid party favorites" to make guesses. Like I said, I am finding the suggestions from the more hidden corners quite interesting.
More posts like the third and fewer like the first two would probably get you farther then.
  #91  
Old 03-16-2020, 03:42 PM
The wind of my soul is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Washington, D.C.
Posts: 2,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlikTheBlue View Post
I'm sticking with my prediction of Amy Klobuchar. I'm still of the opinion that he promised her the position when she dropped out after the South Carolina primary.
I feel like often, when people take guesses at the VP pick, people guess a lot of other candidates from the same election cycle, just because they're familiar with the names, and then the VP pick is someone who didn't even run for president. (Not all the time, obviously.)

But in this particular instance, I see your point. Klobuchar didn't seem like she had any realistic shot at winning, and neither did Buttigieg, but their chances seemed higher going into Super Tuesday than they had at any point prior. Both Buttigieg and Klobuchar had over-performed expectations in early states, and even though they hadn't performed too well in NV or SC, I still thought it was a little odd for them to drop out when they did. It would certainly make sense that Biden would have offered something enticing to convince them to drop out. When you couple that with (a) the fact that Biden promised to pick a woman VP, and (b) Klobuchar's Freudian slip during her speech where she endorses Biden, that pairing certainly sounds plausible to me. I'd certainly expect to see her as the running mate sooner than I'd expect any of the other females who ran this time around.
  #92  
Old 03-16-2020, 05:30 PM
DrDeth is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: San Jose
Posts: 44,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveyearlurker View Post
It's Abrams or Harris. I doubt there is anyone else under serious consideration.
Not gonna be Harris. CA is Deep Blue.

And Harris got in a nasty jab at Biden.
  #93  
Old 03-16-2020, 06:01 PM
erysichthon's Avatar
erysichthon is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
Not gonna be Harris. CA is Deep Blue.

And Harris got in a nasty jab at Biden.
And she has since endorsed him.

You have a point about Biden not needing help in California, but the jab doesn't mean anything. Politicians generally don't hold grudges about trash talk in the primaries, and it's easy to be forgiving when you've won. Reagan picked Bush despite the "voodoo economics" snark.
  #94  
Old 03-16-2020, 06:58 PM
DSeid's Avatar
DSeid is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 23,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
Not gonna be Harris. CA is Deep Blue.

And Harris got in a nasty jab at Biden.
The small plus it gives in the VP candidate's home state is not the only reason to pick a running mate, even though it can be an important one in a very critical state.
  #95  
Old 03-16-2020, 08:08 PM
Boycott is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 607
I just don't see the logic in Abrams getting chosen. Her only elected office is being the minority party in the Georgia state legislature. She ran an impressive campaign for Governor but ultimately lost. I never believed a small town mayor was ready to become president and I don't believe she's ready to be vice president.

When the guy at the top of the ticket is going to be 78 years old on inauguration day, the VP being ready to step up is a marker that is greater than ever before. Go back to 2008 for a moment:

Quote:
"Let me tell you the reason I picked Joe Biden. Number one, he can step in and become president. And I don't think anybody has any doubt about that,"
Obama was 47 years old to Biden's 66 but he made the point that there is always a possibility, no matter how improbable, that the VP has to step in and become president.

That possibility is much higher now because as stated, Biden is going to be 78 years old on the day he would be sworn in.
  #96  
Old 03-16-2020, 11:20 PM
Defensive Indifference is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 7,671
Reuters has an article listing some potential Biden VP picks. It's a short and pretty superficial article that doesn't bring up any names we haven't discussed here, except one: Florida Representative Val Demings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reuters
The African-American congresswoman from Florida’s national profile rose earlier this year when she was tapped as one of the managers, effectively prosecutors, in the House impeachment proceedings against Trump.

Demings, 63, was first elected to office in 2016. Before going to Washington, she was a police officer.
I don't know. Being an impeachment manager is great. But her only experience in any elected office is as a Representative since January 2017. That's awful thin for the person one 78-year-old heartbeat away from running the country.
  #97  
Old 03-16-2020, 11:53 PM
DrDeth is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: San Jose
Posts: 44,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensive Indifference View Post
Reuters has an article listing some potential Biden VP picks. It's a short and pretty superficial article that doesn't bring up any names we haven't discussed here, except one: Florida Representative Val Demings....
Yeah, out of that article I liked Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer (48). Michigan is a critical state.
  #98  
Old 03-17-2020, 12:46 AM
Little Nemo is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Western New York
Posts: 86,268
I think Biden made a mistake by announcing it this way. By saying he was going to pick "a woman" he's feeding into the accusation of identity politics that Republicans love to beat the drum for. He should have named a particular individual and then said she was chosen because she was the best person for the job.
  #99  
Old 03-17-2020, 02:20 AM
Locrian is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Valley Village, CA
Posts: 4,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
I think Biden made a mistake by announcing it this way. By saying he was going to pick "a woman" he's feeding into the accusation of identity politics that Republicans love to beat the drum for. He should have named a particular individual and then said she was chosen because she was the best person for the job.
I kind of agree with this. Wouldn't it be better to just say, "I'd strongly consider picking a woman for VP if I get the nom"? I mean, I figured a female VP would be the pick for the Dems anyway, but it's like giving the GOP a sneak peak in the playbook.
  #100  
Old 03-17-2020, 04:50 AM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 37,855
Biden announced this during the debate to make sure the headlines coming out of the debate were "Biden pledges female VP", just in case he royally sucked during the debate itself. He didn't do terribly, but IMO he's still not a very sharp debater, and his team recognized this and planned it in advance.

I think it was a brilliant move. He can still say "I chose her because she was the absolute best person for the job". And it's beyond time for a woman to be a VP (and prez, for that matter).
__________________
My new novel Spindown
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:06 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2019 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017