Old 03-17-2020, 10:44 AM

It may not be the virus itself so much as the economic consequences of it that sink his reelection. If, as seems likely, we head into full-blown recession and unemployment spikes massively, that's him done, barring a (dark) miracle. His hardcore, never-to-be-convinced-otherwise base is not big enough on its own to carry him to victory again.
Old 03-17-2020, 12:05 PM

I'm not sure that it's worth it to even discuss the effect of anything on his base any more. The only thing that matters in November is whether the Dems are stirred up enough -- there are plenty of us to get the job done and his base can't stop us. Only we can stop us.
Old 03-17-2020, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Wiggler View Post
I'm not sure that it's worth it to even discuss the effect of anything on his base any more. The only thing that matters in November is whether the Dems are stirred up enough -- there are plenty of us to get the job done and his base can't stop us. Only we can stop us.
AND whether they will be allowed to vote, and whether those votes will be counted. Republican dirty tricks will be in full play!
Old 03-17-2020, 01:07 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
Sam Harris recently said that this virus appears to have been custom designed to decimate the Trump Cult population. I thought that it was really short sighted of Harris, given that it's a worldwide pandemic that will hurt populations that take no part in the Trump Cult. However, if what you say is true and Trump continues to hold large rallies, I will have to grant Harris his due.
I was perusing my usual latrine literature, the Wordsworth Dictionary of the American West, and came upon the entry for cultus. It's a Chinook (trade language) term meaning worthless, useless. How appropriate for cultists.
Old 03-17-2020, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastletonSnob View Post
People said the same thing about his response to Hurricane Maria.
I thought her name was Melanie
Old 03-17-2020, 04:05 PM

We'll see who's left to vote and vote for in November.
Old 03-17-2020, 06:34 PM

They're preparing for 20% unemployment rate.
Old 03-18-2020, 07:01 AM

"Only I can solve this. You have no choice, you have to re-elect me to get this fixed."
Old 03-18-2020, 08:18 AM

It will finish Trump if he gets it, he's at that at risk age group, his health is questionable to what he claims it is (obviously out of breath at times in speeches, and sometimes doesn't show up with those who are accompanying him, like he has to rest add to that Trump seems to eat fast food crap a lot. And this virus attacks the respiratory system. Not good for Mr Trump.

He also has a tendency to not tell the truth, can't believe his health report nor his Covid19 status testing.

But he has at his disposal the best doctors that money can buy, I'm not talking about presidential doctors, but from his former days, but now with presidential resources. He also acts very much as a illusion, so while we may be seeing him with others, there may be things going on behind the scenes keeping Mr. Trump safe.

If Mr Trump does get sick I suspect he will 'disappear' from public view. He may twitter and make other statements but not in a public way. He does not want to portray that he is mortal, nor that he is infirm.
Old 03-18-2020, 09:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanicbird View Post
It will finish Trump if he gets it...
'And there was given unto him a mouth speaking great things and blasphemies; and power was given unto him to continue forty and two months.' - Revelations 13:5, KJV
Or:
'There was given to him a mouth speaking arrogant words and blasphemies, and authority to act for forty-two months was given to him.' - Revelations 13:5, NASB

Forty-two months would be July. July or August has been predicted to be when the pandemic reaches its peak in the U.S. Just sayin'.
Old 03-18-2020, 10:03 AM
Charter Member

It's all according to the prophecy.
Old 03-18-2020, 10:31 AM

Don't worry, the Donald has this covered. All he has to do is re-write history to remind everyone how awesome and unprecedented he is!

Tweet 7:46am March 18,2020

Quote:
I always treated the Chinese Virus very seriously, and have done a very good job from the beginning, including my very early decision to close the "borders" from China - against the wishes of almost all. Many lives were saved. The Fake News new narrative is disgraceful & false!
See! He's done a good job from the beginning! He said so! Ignore the video clips and his former tweets, and any other evidence that says otherwise. It's fake! All fake!
Old 03-18-2020, 11:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
I'm not saying Trump is the Antichrist, but... He's the Antichrist.
Old 03-18-2020, 11:30 AM

Racist piece of shit uses the term "Chinese virus". Oh yes, he always took it seriously. Only his mouth-breathing cult buys that one.
Old 03-18-2020, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
Racist piece of shit uses the term "Chinese virus". Oh yes, he always took it seriously. Only his mouth-breathing cult buys that one.
And the Twitter braintrust is now busy replying "That is Chinese propaganda" to any tweet saying that "Calling it the Chinese virus is racist".
Old 03-18-2020, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Wiggler View Post
No it isn't.
When I was younger I could remember anything, whether it had happened or not; but my faculties are decaying now and soon I shall be so I cannot remember any but the things that never happened. It is sad to go to pieces like this but we all have to do it.
Mark Twain
Old 03-18-2020, 02:39 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

If the short-fingered vulgarian catches it and survives, Science will have learned that massive doses of Adderall are the key to the cure. Either that or a diet including fourteen Big Macs daily.

Still not sure why Democratic leadership is not hanging this whole thing around his fat neck by labeling it the TrumpVirus.
Old 03-18-2020, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
Yes it is!
When I was younger I could remember anything, whether it had happened or not; but my faculties are decaying now and soon I shall be so I cannot remember any but the things that never happened. It is sad to go to pieces like this but we all have to do it.
Mark Twain
Old 03-18-2020, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
[...]
Still not sure why Democratic leadership is not hanging this whole thing around his fat neck by labeling it the TrumpVirus.
Just what I meant to say. Every time someone calls it the "chinese virus" I will say "the Trump Virus!".
Mark Twain

Last edited by Pardel-Lux; 03-18-2020 at 02:46 PM.
Old 03-18-2020, 04:41 PM

People who support Trump continue to support him regardless of what the facts say. They view him as showing "leadership". They view this virus as something caused by the Chinese.

A lot of it is going to depend on where we are in November. If the virus is largely passed us and the economy has bounced back to normal (which it could, it's not like any major structural damage happened to it), people have short memories.
Old 03-18-2020, 05:02 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith537 View Post
People who support Trump continue to support him regardless of what the facts say. They view him as showing "leadership". They view this virus as something caused by the Chinese.
We view the virus as something that originated in China and spread from there. Responsibility and accountability are not always the same thing. You can be responsible for something, but if it were an accident or beyond your direct control you are not held accountable. In any case, China's exotic meet markets were hundreds of thousands of animal carcasses are laid out on the streets is where these super viruses usually jump from animal to human and get spread around the world. So, perhaps China does have some accountability and perhaps the government should look into doing something about those markets.

Getting their name attached to it could be a good motivator.

Oh, and as for Trump... We will vote for him because things seem to be going well in this country. I hope you are not one of those silly people who think Trump voters have no education, no professional careers or no successful businesses. People like you do give extra motivation to vote for him though. Neurotic, self-loathing white leftists have made a fool of themselves now that reality does not reflect the hyperbolic hysterics that followed the 2016 election and all the talks of nazis and fascism and genocide. Anti-white racism and the usurpation of white creations is the only kind of racism that seems to be getting out of hand in the USA.
Old 03-18-2020, 05:05 PM
BANNED

The irrational Trump-bashing is not funny anymore. Let it go for the sake of your own mental health.

Last edited by HengsenKerpangsen; 03-18-2020 at 05:09 PM. Reason: duplicate post due to network problem
Old 03-18-2020, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HengsenKerpangsen View Post
Oh, and as for Trump... We will vote for him because things seem to be going well in this country.
An interesting perspective on our current situation. Just out of curiosity, are you comfortable with the fact that the Trump administration cut the departments and resources set up to fight a pandemic infection, and that he initially bragged about this before attempting to lie his way out of it when our response to the outbreak was exposed as hopelessly inadequate?
Old 03-18-2020, 05:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonsuch View Post
An interesting perspective on our current situation. Just out of curiosity, are you comfortable with the fact that the Trump administration cut the departments and resources set up to fight a pandemic infection, and that he initially bragged about this before attempting to lie his way out of it when our response to the outbreak was exposed as hopelessly inadequate?
Trump supporters believe every lie The Messiah utters -- even the lies that contradict other lies.

In addition to his mishandling of the current situation, the economy that he took so much credit for is crashing, and all of the gains made since his inauguration have been wiped out. Trump's failed economy might be enough to turn a few of his supporters against him.
Old 03-18-2020, 05:46 PM

Quote:
....Oh, and as for Trump... We will vote for him because things seem to be going well in this country. I hope you are not one of those silly people who think Trump voters have no education, no professional careers or no successful businesses. People like you do give extra motivation to vote for him though. Neurotic, self-loathing white leftists have made a fool of themselves now that reality does not reflect the hyperbolic hysterics that followed the 2016 election and all the talks of nazis and fascism and genocide. Anti-white racism and the usurpation of white creations is the only kind of racism that seems to be getting out of hand in the USA.
Quote:
The irrational Trump-bashing is not funny anymore. Let it go for the sake of your own mental health.
What ho! A new entity ariseth to replace the departed ones...
Old 03-18-2020, 06:46 PM

Quote:
OK man. But the rational trump bashing is just getting started. C'mon in!
Old 03-18-2020, 06:51 PM

Did that chowderhead really say "People are dying who have never died before"?
Old 03-18-2020, 06:52 PM

Quote:
I wonder, do you also have a problem with people calling the 'Spanish Flu' the 'Spanish Flu'?
From the 1918 influenza pandemic wikipedia article
Quote:
To maintain morale, wartime censors minimized early reports of illness and mortality in Germany, the United Kingdom, France, and the United States.[7] Papers were free to report the epidemic's effects in neutral Spain (such as the grave illness of King Alfonso XIII).[8] These stories created a false impression of Spain as especially hard hit,[9] giving rise to the pandemic's nickname, "Spanish flu".[10]
So it was called the Spanish flu due to heavy censoring of deaths and war time propaganda. Sounds about right that the Trumpists are dusting off this tradition.

Last edited by orcenio; 03-18-2020 at 06:53 PM.
Old 03-18-2020, 07:03 PM

Quote:
That chowderhead really did.

Of course this is an unusual utterance by the chowderhead, as it is, technically, true*. Doesn't make a lick of sense, though, putting it back in line with his usual blortings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcenio View Post
From the 1918 influenza pandemic wikipedia article So it was called the Spanish flu due to heavy censoring of deaths and war time propaganda. Sounds about right that the Trumpists are dusting off this tradition.
The 2009 Swine Flu began in the USA.** So, being such a stickler for accuracy, no doubt the chowderhead will start calling it the American Flu.

But the whole "Chinese flu" thing is intended to stop people from blaming Trump for his bungled response to the pandemic. Look, over there, Asian people to blame! Blame them! Don't blame the guy who cut funding to the CDC and refused the offered WHO tests, and for weeks said the problem would go away all by itself when April arrived!

Blame the Asians! Stop looking at Trump!

*With apologies to those who believe in reincarnation.

**https://www.factcheck.org/2020/03/tr...pandemic-spin/

Last edited by Sherrerd; 03-18-2020 at 07:06 PM.
Old 03-18-2020, 07:26 PM

Quote:
I think that's an allusion to a Star Trek episode. Saving a woman's life led to Trump taking over the world, or something.
Old 03-18-2020, 07:41 PM

The amazing thing is that if we had a Democrat in the oval office right now, the bills breezing through the Senate would be lucky to get one vote from Republicans. Much like the debt ceiling, they would be more than willing to hold the country hostage.
Old 03-18-2020, 07:44 PM
Shouting Grasshopper

Quote:
According to Snopes, he did not.
Old 03-18-2020, 07:57 PM

Quote:
"How could I possibly be Russian with this German - sounding name!!?"
Old 03-18-2020, 08:01 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondebear View Post
According to Snopes, he did not.
Must have been a teleprompter malfunction. Hate when that happens. Sad.
Old 03-18-2020, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveyearlurker View Post
The amazing thing is that if we had a Democrat in the oval office right now, the bills breezing through the Senate would be lucky to get one vote from Republicans. Much like the debt ceiling, they would be more than willing to hold the country hostage.
That's why electing Biden won't be enough. The Dems have to keep the House and take the Senate <broken record-record-record>
Old 03-18-2020, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebuck20 View Post
If there's one thing that's going to hurt him with his base, it's the appearance of weakness during a crisis. This Politico article touches on that:

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...ovement-130831

Granted, at this point I think most of Trump's followers are too cultish in their devotion to not follow him over the cliff. But this may well open a few people's eyes to the fact that the guy was never anything more than bluster, and that he's in way over his head.
The only thing that would turn Ttrumps base against him is if Trump embraced multiculturalism.

His base feels 'their' America is being invaded by non-whites, immigrants, atheists, muslims, feminists, liberals, gays, etc. They view Trump as their great white bulwark against multiculturalism and a multi racial society.

They don't give a shit how incompetent, treasonous, criminal, corrupt, deranged, mentally unstable, etc. Trump is as long as he promotes white supremacy.

If Trump embraces black lives matter, calls for more immigrants from islamic nations, says America becoming white minority is a good thing, etc that will turn his base against him.

If anything, low key democrats should be creating propaganda making it look like Trump is embracing multiculturalism and show it to his base to demoralize them. Show them fake quotes of Trump talking about how great black lives matter is and how great islamic immigration is. That will make them stay home in 2020.

Last edited by Wesley Clark; 03-18-2020 at 09:34 PM.
Old 03-18-2020, 09:35 PM

Quote:
All the Trump-bashing I see is rational.
Old 03-18-2020, 09:42 PM

Coronavirus will not finish Trump, in fact it's going to help him quite a bit. I think he's turned a corner on his coronavirus policy, he's seamlessly pivoted from "it's not a problem and will never be a problem" to "it's a huge problem and I'm the hero who is doing everything to stop it and give you free money in the meantime".

By the time November arrives, his early bungling and lying will be ancient history, all people will remember is Trump taking credit for every economic aid package that happens between now and then. It'll give him the aura of a heroic "wartime" president, without having to have an inconvenient war. The economy will still probably be shit, and the national debt will be crazy high, but he'll just deflect and say that he was the only one who could take such bold measures to save the country.

It's much like George W Bush post 9/11. When the election came, nobody cared that he ignored all the terrorism warnings, then invaded the wrong country and lied about it. All they cared about was "not switching horses midstream", and it worked.
Old 03-18-2020, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Clark View Post
The only thing that would turn Ttrumps base against him is if Trump embraced multiculturalism.

His base feels 'their' America is being invaded by non-whites, immigrants, atheists, muslims, feminists, liberals, gays, etc. They view Trump as their great white bulwark against multiculturalism and a multi racial society.

They don't give a shit how incompetent, treasonous, criminal, corrupt, deranged, mentally unstable, etc. Trump is as long as he promotes white supremacy.

If Trump embraces black lives matter, calls for more immigrants from islamic nations, says America becoming white minority is a good thing, etc that will turn his base against him.

If anything, low key democrats should be creating propaganda making it look like Trump is embracing multiculturalism and show it to his base to demoralize them. Show them fake quotes of Trump talking about how great black lives matter is and how great islamic immigration is. That will make them stay home in 2020.
I have a friend who seriously claims that Trump is the greatest POTUS since Reagan.
Old 03-18-2020, 10:09 PM

lol!
Old 03-18-2020, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulff View Post
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/c...155243205.html

I donít want a single person to die from this disease, but if Trump loses, any deaths will not have been in vain.
Counting on a plague and economic collapse to advance your politics is not exactly commendable or smart.

It's positively ghoulish and you can rest assured sentiments like those will be played against you, i.e. quoting, Jon Snow "Everything before the word "but" is horseshit".

The most likely scenario is that in the next months a vaccine or treatment is developed for the disease and the apocalyptic predictions of millions of deaths come nowhere near to fruition, and you (general you) will be left standing as the doomsayer who hoped to capitalize on the deaths and misery of large numbers of your fellow citizens to further a political agenda, that is pretty bad optics.
Old 03-18-2020, 11:36 PM

I think the stock market will eventually recover, but not all the losses in the last month, and not soon enough. The market is about where it was when Trump took office 3+ years ago - it will not be getting back near the all-time highs we were seeing in Feb, during 2020, and probably not in 2021, either. I could be wrong. This presents the opportunity for the Dems to hang the "end of the longest bull market in history" and the "start of the current bear market" labels on Trump - they need to mercilessly remind people about this. He has been taking credit for the bull market (rooted in the Obama years) so he gets to take blame now that coronavirus has stripped the market's gears. Deserved or not. This should be a top-3 talking point going forward, like It's the economy, stupid.
Old 03-19-2020, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rejemy View Post
Coronavirus will not finish Trump, in fact it's going to help him quite a bit. I think he's turned a corner on his coronavirus policy, he's seamlessly pivoted from "it's not a problem and will never be a problem" to "it's a huge problem and I'm the hero who is doing everything to stop it and give you free money in the meantime".
Will his base buy this act? Yes. Will the swing voters who will actually decide the election? Much less clear. And that "free money" is going to arrive in the wake of thousands of shuttered businesses and hundreds of thousands out of work -- it's not going to be putting a smile on many people's faces. Anyway, we should all be so lucky if, come November, all this feels far away.
Old 03-19-2020, 03:27 AM

Quote:
I wonder, do you also have a problem with people calling the 'Spanish Flu' the 'Spanish Flu'?
Being half Spaniard myself: no, no tengo problema alguno con ello. Because I know how that came to happen: Spain was not at war and did not censor like the other countries felt they had to. Trump, OTOH, uses this term to deflect from his faults (sin of omission, mainly, and incompetence) and to channel anger towards racism. One name has historical reasons (with a hint of racism, but that was then), the other is trying to influence history (with a lot of racism).
Did not convince you, did I? It is impossible to convince anyone on the web. Well, you roll eyes, I facepalm
Mark Twain
Old 03-19-2020, 03:55 AM

It’s something all Presidents do. I remember when, during that massive BP oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico a few years back, President Obama made a point of always referring to BP as “British Petroleum”. He knew the company was largely (maybe even wholly) American owned by that point, but he kept calling it “British Petroleum” regardless. It’s just a standard political deflection manoeuvre. I can’t blame Trump for doing it, too. Especially since the disease did originate in China.
Old 03-19-2020, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreconstructed Man View Post
Itís something all Presidents do. I remember when, [...] I canít blame Trump for doing it, too. Especially since the disease did originate in China.
I hope you don't blame me then for calling it the Trump Virus, because I have an opinion to express too. I'd rather blame him than "the Chinese" and their "meet markets" (sic! wrote the new one).
Mark Twain
Old 03-19-2020, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pardel-Lux View Post
I hope you don't blame me then for calling it the Trump Virus, because I have an opinion to express too. I'd rather blame him than "the Chinese" and their "meet markets" (sic! wrote the new one).
On the contrary, I encourage it
Old 03-19-2020, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
AND whether they will be allowed to vote, and whether those votes will be counted. Republican dirty tricks will be in full play!
If the polls show an election rout that would cause the GOP and POTUS to lose power, I wouldn't at all be surprised to see the coronavirus crisis to come in waves, one of which would reappear before the election.
Old 03-19-2020, 07:14 AM

I bet that the results of the Lou Dobbs adoration poll will show that Donald is doing just fine.

Quote:
LDTPoll: How would you grade President Trumpís leadership in the nationís fight against the Wuhan Virus... superb, great or very good? #KAG2020 #AmericaFirst #Dobbs
ó Lou Dobbs (@LouDobbs) March 18, 2020
This is more effective than ipecac for inducing vomiting.
Old 03-19-2020, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreconstructed Man View Post
Itís something all Presidents do. I remember when, during that massive BP oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico a few years back, President Obama made a point of always referring to BP as ďBritish PetroleumĒ.
And I bet he sometimes calls KFC "Kentucky Fried Chicken" despite the fact it hasn't officially been "Kentucky Fried Chicken" in several years and most KFC is produced outside Kentucky.

This is seriously the counterargument you want to make?