Old 03-19-2020, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Antibob View Post
And I bet he sometimes calls KFC "Kentucky Fried Chicken" despite the fact it hasn't officially been "Kentucky Fried Chicken" in several years and most KFC is produced outside Kentucky.

This is seriously the counterargument you want to make?
Obama's speech is fairly formal and I think he'd call GM "General Motors". Certainly the words "British Petroleum" were not meant to gin up xenophobia the way that "Chinese virus" were.

Last edited by BobLibDem; 03-19-2020 at 07:33 AM.
Old 03-19-2020, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
Obama's speech is fairly formal and I think he'd call GM "General Motors". Certainly the words "British Petroleum" were not meant to gin up xenophobia the way that "Chinese virus" were.
Exactly. Otherwise, he'd call it the China virus. Using the word "Chinese" is meant to blame people, specifically.
Old 03-19-2020, 07:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Projammer View Post
And if the virus is still a thing come the election it will suppress all voter turnout equally.
Nonsense. The elderly are 1)more susceptible and 2)more Republican than the general population.
Old 03-19-2020, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
Indeed so, and hopefully it was clear that was not the point I was trying to make.

There's a difference between a xenophobic attack and using the formal or once-upon-a-time formal name for a company.

Referring to BP as "British Petroleum", which many people still do, is very different, as the company referred to itself that way until quite recently.

Using 'novel coronavirus' or 'COVID-19' or 'SARS-CoV2' is preferred in part because health officials realize there can be and have been unfortunate consequences to attaching xenophobic labels to health scares. The 'Spanish' Flu came from Kansas, after all, but I don't see people blaming Kansans for the mutations it has spawned over the years.

This usage spawns alienation and xenophobia when people instead need to work together. If people have learned anything from this (which appears doubtful in many cases), it's that there's not "American" health or "Chinese" health or whatever. Health in 2020 is truly global and stoking antiquated xenophobic fears is fundamentally counterproductive.
Old 03-19-2020, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HengsenKerpangsen View Post
Oh, and as for Trump... We will vote for him because things seem to be going well in this country. I hope you are not one of those silly people who think Trump voters have no education, no professional careers or no successful businesses. People like you do give extra motivation to vote for him though. Neurotic, self-loathing white leftists have made a fool of themselves now that reality does not reflect the hyperbolic hysterics that followed the 2016 election and all the talks of nazis and fascism and genocide. Anti-white racism and the usurpation of white creations is the only kind of racism that seems to be getting out of hand in the USA.
This is the most part that reveals the most about your inner thoughts. It is the sort of thing white nationalists say to try to appear as not being white nationalists.
Old 03-19-2020, 07:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOW View Post
Let them gather! Just make sure you have some coughing, sneezing, feverish folk planted amongst the masses.
If it were still possible to get face masks in large quantities without seriously compromising their availability to people who actually need them, I'd be trying to get the ball rolling on passing out some custom-printed ones to pass out to his cultists.
Old 03-19-2020, 07:53 AM

Nevermind.

Last edited by BeepKillBeep; 03-19-2020 at 07:57 AM.
Old 03-19-2020, 08:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pardel-Lux View Post
"meet markets"
Where Napoleon Boneyspurs waged his personal Vietnam.
Old 03-19-2020, 08:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
The irrational Trump-bashing is not funny anymore. Let it go for the sake of your own mental health.
Boy did you join the wrong message board! I don't support Trump at all, but most folks around here are like a dog with a sock. They ain't gonna "let it go."
Old 03-19-2020, 08:48 AM

Quote:
The irrational Trump-bashing is not funny anymore. Let it go for the sake of your own mental health.
When evil is on the ropes, kick it in the nut.
Old 03-19-2020, 08:59 AM
Charter Member

Fascists and authoritarians have always found a way to exploit crisis. Something along the lines of "Democratic niceties are well and good in normal times, but we need strong and decisive action now, and only I can provide that." To which tens of millions of people will go "He's right! Praise the leader!"

That said, Trump seems kind of indifferent to the whole thing. I'm not sure if he'll go there. But if he does, he'll get a lot of support.
Old 03-19-2020, 09:14 AM

Joe Scarborough has an interesting take on the term "Chinese virus".

Quote:
“He wants you to become outraged so you will talk about that instead of talking about tests, so you’ll talk about that instead of talking about ventilators,” Scarborough continued.
I think his point is valid. The Con Man threw up a smokescreen so that we're talking about racism and not the pandemic. Moreover, he's counting on his base to be going "'Merica! Fuck yeah!" instead of watching their 401ks crash.
Old 03-19-2020, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportegan View Post
Democrats took coronavirus as their primary weapon against the US president. And they believe that Trump was trapped. Now it remains only to wait until there are not 125 patients, but not less than several thousand, after which the administration will have to go to extreme measures. And it doesn’t matter whether they will be used or not. If the US authorities begin to act on the model of the Chinese and introduce quarantine, this will seriously affect the country's economy. And Trump is accused of dictatorship. It is reported by Rambler.
https://sportegan.com/
Possible violation on me for modifying a quoted post*, but WTF is this shit? Why are you purposefully hiding links to your own website in your posts?

Reported.

*I removed the color tag which made the link invisible. If you mouse-hover under the last line, you will see the cursor change where there is "no" wording.

Last edited by JohnT; 03-19-2020 at 09:43 AM.
Old 03-19-2020, 09:54 AM

Do Not Feed The Trolls.
Old 03-19-2020, 10:12 AM

https://www.quora.com/profile/Hengse...gsen/questions

cool cool cool
Old 03-19-2020, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreconstructed Man View Post
It’s something all Presidents do. I remember when, during that massive BP oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico a few years back, President Obama made a point of always referring to BP as “British Petroleum”. He knew the company was largely (maybe even wholly) American owned by that point, but he kept calling it “British Petroleum” regardless. It’s just a standard political deflection manoeuvre. I can’t blame Trump for doing it, too. Especially since the disease did originate in China.
well, the B in BP stands for British, whereas the C in COVID does not stand for China. Got that?
Old 03-19-2020, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Turbo View Post
You should have provided some sort of warning before posting that link. Now I feel like I need a shower.

SPOILER:
Our latest troll is a Hitler Youth.
Old 03-19-2020, 11:36 AM

I'm watching the occupant of the Oval Office give his daily smoke-blowing-up-my-ass press briefing this morning. I can't stand to hear his voice, so I always watch it with the sound muted. It's amusing to gauge how bad he's doing by watching the stock market ticker in the lower right hand corner of the tee vee screen sink to new lows as he blathers away. He gets so annoyed when the press calls him on his BS!

Beyond unfit.
Old 03-19-2020, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreconstructed Man View Post
It’s something all Presidents do. I remember when, during that massive BP oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico a few years back, President Obama made a point of always referring to BP as “British Petroleum”. He knew the company was largely (maybe even wholly) American owned by that point, but he kept calling it “British Petroleum” regardless. It’s just a standard political deflection manoeuvre. I can’t blame Trump for doing it, too. Especially since the disease did originate in China.
In this case, specifically, it was done to counteract conspiracy theories being peddled by the Chinese government claiming that the Covid19 virus originated in the USA and was introduced to china by the US military.
Old 03-19-2020, 01:14 PM

Right, because millions of Americans were starting to believe that.

(I mean, we're gullible, but we're not that gullible.)
Old 03-19-2020, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmonk28 View Post
When evil is on the ropes, kick it in the nut.
I see what you did there.
Old 03-19-2020, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John DiFool View Post
I see what you did there.
I wish it was on purpose.

His approval has been creeping up, it’s at 43%.
Old 03-19-2020, 01:43 PM

So Trump countered a conspiracy theory with racism. That'll show 'em.
Old 03-19-2020, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akaj View Post
Right, because millions of Americans were starting to believe that.

(I mean, we're gullible, but we're not that gullible.)
You aren't? people here have spent the last few years going ballistic over how some Facebook posts and memes posted by "Russian trolls" supposedlychanged history, but overt propaganda efforts by the CCP get a pass.

Considering jsc1953 is echoing the "racism" response from the CCP propaganda channels I think it does have an effect..

A totalitarian, oppressive regime with every human right abuse under the Sun as their SOP is trying to rewrite history and shift the blame for the current situation to your own country and you object to them being called out because... fuck Trump, right?.

A study published in March indicated that if Chinese authorities had acted three weeks earlier than they did, the number of coronavirus cases could have been reduced by 95% and its geographic spread limited.

This timeline, compiled from information reported by the Wall Street Journal, the Washington Post, the South China Morning Post and other sources, shows that China's cover-up and the delay in serious measures to contain the virus lasted about three weeks.

Once again for context:

At the White House briefing on Tuesday, Mr. Trump told reporters that he was attaching “China” to the name of the virus to combat a disinformation campaign promoted by Beijing officials that the American military was the source of the outbreak.

“I didn’t appreciate the fact that China was saying that our military gave it to them,” Mr. Trump said. “I think saying that our military gave it to them creates a stigma.”

You object to that? Efforts to stop the CCP framing your own country for the situation they created?
Because if you do you are letting your hatred of Trump override the interests of your own country and I'm sure the CCP is happy about that.

And just because here's Bloomberg News and the New York Post calling it the "Chinese Virus" and a long list of the same media companies now calling it racist to refer to it as Wuhan Virus, China Virus or Chinese Virus using the terms before the memo dropped that now it's racist because Trump used it to counter propaganda efforts by the Chinese government.

Wrapping this up, if you think going this way, aligning your interests with those of the Chinese Government, will turn the majority of the US population against Trump you are in for a shock.

Last edited by Ale; 03-19-2020 at 11:10 PM.
Old 03-20-2020, 12:26 AM

Jesus fucking Christ. In this target rich environment, liberals are playing right into Trump's hands by complaining about calling it the "Chinese virus". Seriously? Do you not realize that MERS stands for "Middle East Respiratory Virus"? This is normal and completely defensible! Stop getting sucked into this PC nonsense and focus the attacks on his disbanding the pandemic team, claiming the 15 cases would soon drop to close to zero "one day like a miracle", etc. Sheesh!
Old 03-20-2020, 12:30 AM

“Liberals” didn’t decide on a PC naming convention...I believe it was the WHO who told everyone to stop calling it “Wuhan Coronavirus” and instead use novel Coronavirus for the virus, and COVID-19. for the disease. Trump is willfully contradicting international scientific convention.
Yes, we all have bigger fish to dry. Doesn’t mean Trump is not being a racist asshole.
Old 03-20-2020, 12:49 AM

I'm not telling the WHO to change the official name. I'm telling liberals to stop whinging that "Chinese virus" is racist! Good grief, people.
Old 03-20-2020, 01:06 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
I'm not telling the WHO to change the official name. I'm telling liberals to stop whinging that "Chinese virus" is racist! Good grief, people.
Tell people in Europe or the Americas suspected of being Asian, and physically and verbally assaulted, that they're not victims of racism. Go ahead, tell them. I'll wait.
Old 03-20-2020, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
The problem is that calling the "Chinese Virus" or "Chinese Flu" isn't specific enough. Are you talking about the Asian Flu from 1956? SARS in 2002? H7N9 "Bird Flu"? Or COVID-19?
Old 03-20-2020, 03:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan View Post
We'll see who's left to vote and vote for in November.
At this rate, the next president will be Randall Flagg. See you in Boulder.
Old 03-20-2020, 07:33 AM

55% of Americans approve of Trump's handling of this crisis.

Quote:
In the new poll, 55 percent of Americans approve of Trump’s management of the crisis, compared with 43 percent who disapprove.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...TKCUX23JVP6S74
Old 03-20-2020, 07:36 AM

Quote:

Maybe the thread title should be, "Coronavirus ensures certain path to second term for The Donald!"
Old 03-20-2020, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Well that leaves me flabbergasted. How can that be?
Thesis:
US-Americans are suicidal. Death wish. Armaggedon wish.
They are ill-informed. Facebook & Fox News.
They are evil. #MAGA
They are stupid. #KAG
They are delusional. He's dumb but he is our dumb and in times of crisis Napoleon is always right.

Maybe it's me?
When I was younger I could remember anything, whether it had happened or not; but my faculties are decaying now and soon I shall be so I cannot remember any but the things that never happened. It is sad to go to pieces like this but we all have to do it.
Mark Twain
Old 03-20-2020, 08:56 AM

My theory is that most Americans are morons.
Old 03-20-2020, 08:56 AM

Wait until the deaths and serious disruptions kick in. I don't relish them but there'll be lots to be dissatisfied with then, even if Trump were making all the right calls, which he hasn't been.
Old 03-20-2020, 09:34 AM

Bloomberg needs to start spending his millions on ads showing, on a fucking loop, Trump saying things like "It's going to be just fine. We have it totally under control," as well as a photo of this Tweet.

On a loop. On prime time TV. On social media. Don't let this fucker gaslight this shit away.
Old 03-20-2020, 09:54 AM

Don't get freaked out by a single poll. Look at the trends -- specifically, look at 538's Trump approval trend. https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...ex_cid=rrpromo

It goes up and down, but with only small changes. Don't worry about the polls until after the conventions.
Old 03-20-2020, 10:05 AM

That’s true if your concerned about the election, which I get that this is the subject of the thread, but the fact that the majority of Americans approve of Trump’s performance is pretty troubling. It points to the underlying truth that Trump is a symptom, not the disease.
Old 03-20-2020, 10:24 AM

Quote:
That’s true if your concerned about the election, which I get that this is the subject of the thread, but the fact that the majority of Americans approve of Trump’s performance is pretty troubling. It points to the underlying truth that Trump is a symptom, not the disease.
To be frank with you and anyone else going "wtf", this was told to you decades ago.

The disease is the political corruption, the money in politics and the divisive nature of the past couple decades does nothing to treat it other than to jockey, even more for that political power which magically creates money , FOR THEM.

Want to fix the problem? Get the money out of politics and the powers that grant that money.
Old 03-20-2020, 10:25 AM

Quote:

Actually, I think 55% is astonishingly low, for presidential approval in a time of national crisis. Bush's approval after 9/11 was in the 90's.

And as I mentioned in the clusterfuck thread: since declaring the national emergency one week ago, Trump's actions (not his words) are within normal parameters for presidential behavior. I have some issues with the details -- I'd give more emphasis to social safety nets and less to direct bailouts to business -- but that's my normal problem with Republicans. Trump's words continue to be stupid, racist, and/or fantasy-based.
Old 03-20-2020, 11:32 AM

You can get a real sense of how serious this virus shit actually is to Trump.

His orange face and white goggle eyes are much more pronounced. That means he's taking the time from all his "good telephone calls" and "positive conversations" to spend quality time in his tanning bed.

Golly!

~VOW
Old 03-20-2020, 11:50 AM

A reporter asked what the president would say to Americans who are scared, hundreds dead, thousands ill, millions afraid, what would he say to them? Trump answered that he would say "You are a terrible reporter. That is a nasty question." I feel so reassured...
Old 03-20-2020, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kearsen1 View Post
To be frank with you and anyone else going "wtf", this was told to you decades ago.

The disease is the political corruption, the money in politics and the divisive nature of the past couple decades does nothing to treat it other than to jockey, even more for that political power which magically creates money , FOR THEM.

Want to fix the problem? Get the money out of politics and the powers that grant that money.
Yeah, I am one of those people saying that.

It was kind of my point, that people shouldn’t be complacent that just because Trump is bad at his job, that Americans will understand that.

Last edited by madmonk28; 03-20-2020 at 11:59 AM.
Old 03-20-2020, 03:28 PM

Might the stress of actually having to govern finally become too much for Trump? He can't go golfing at Mal-De-Mar anymore; he doesn't have any rallies of adoring fans to praise him. He's forced to actually do work day-in and day-out. How long can he endure? Is "endure" a word that Trump even knows?
Old 03-20-2020, 03:41 PM

Yeah, I think the 55% approval can only persist during this pre-exponential stage. When the tens of thousands of deaths kick in, it will be a different story.

However, if things are still severe in November, Trump could also pull an FDR and use the "Don't change horses in the middle of the stream" argument.
Old 03-20-2020, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
Yeah, I think the 55% approval can only persist during this pre-exponential stage. When the tens of thousands of deaths kick in, it will be a different story.

However, if things are still severe in November, Trump could also pull an FDR and use the "Don't change horses in the middle of the stream" argument.
I believe this will be the first election where the exception proves the rule.
Old 03-20-2020, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post

Maybe the thread title should be, "Coronavirus ensures certain path to second term for The Donald!"
Most likely, Trump will get a temporary boost in the polls when the trillion-dollar virus-relief stimulus package passes Congress and kicks in, but then sink back down again when deaths keep climbing with no end in sight.
Old 03-20-2020, 03:55 PM
Charter Member

Shit, we changed horses in 1932. And 1992. And 1976. The idea that the incumbent party is a good bet to win in a recession is a suckers bet, even more so the asshole which got us there. Bush had record Gulf War popularity and was still looking for a job come January, 1993.

Last edited by JohnT; 03-20-2020 at 03:59 PM.
Old 03-20-2020, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
Shit, we changed horses in 1932. And 1992. And 1976. The idea that the incumbent party is a good bet to win in a recession is a suckers bet, even more so the asshole which got us there. Bush had record Gulf War popularity and was still looking for a job come January, 1993.
You're right. In light of your more complete historical knowledge, I'll modify my own post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspenglow View Post
I believe this will be the first an election where the exception proves the rule.
Old 03-20-2020, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RioRico View Post
Tell people in Europe or the Americas suspected of being Asian, and physically and verbally assaulted, that they're not victims of racism. Go ahead, tell them. I'll wait.

People who are attacked are victims. People who hear "Chinese virus" and get their noses bent out of shape are not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith537 View Post
The problem is that calling the "Chinese Virus" or "Chinese Flu" isn't specific enough. Are you talking about the Asian Flu from 1956? SARS in 2002? H7N9 "Bird Flu"? Or COVID-19?

My wife, a teacher, will sometimes pose the question to our daughter: "What are some context clues you could use here?"

Quote:

This. Also the thing about Americans being morons. Although even on the Triple Nine Society Facebook group, there are STILL a few people who defend the guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kearsen1 View Post

No. This is not the reason. Voters being morons or just fundamentally bad people has nothing to do with money in politics.