Old 03-27-2020, 08:52 AM

Why is President Trump's approval rating climbing?

I just don't get it. This guy is seriously mismanaging this pandemic. A lot of people are going to die because of his lack of action. Yet Five Thirty Eight has his approval rating at all time highs:

538 Trump Approval Tracker

Can someone explain this to me?
Old 03-27-2020, 08:58 AM

Far better people than I have been trying to understand it since November 2016.
Old 03-27-2020, 09:06 AM

Rally around the flag. Free publicity. Coming together in times of crisis.
Old 03-27-2020, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas09 View Post
This and I don't think a lot of people know what mismanagement here looks like.
Old 03-27-2020, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Exactly this. Trump is so lucky, he should be investigated for reality-alteration abilities.

Maybe it's the anti-expert trend. A doctor contradicts Trump, so Trump gets more popular.
Old 03-27-2020, 10:00 AM

It's only going to be short-lived. People rally around a president if he shows any semblance of leadership in a crisis, even if only half-baked leadership. By summer, as the death spiral mounts and the U.S. exceeds all other nations by hundreds of thousands of cases, his approval will nosedive sharply.
Old 03-27-2020, 10:09 AM
Charter Member

IMHO, two things:

1) We as a nation are very divided in where we get our news and information from. If you're getting your view of Trump strictly from Trump himself or from Trump-friendly sources, you're going to have a favorable opinion of him. If you just watch what Trump himself says, he's got this thing under control and it's all going to be over by Easter.

2) Like Velocity said, "People rally around a president if he shows any semblance of leadership in a crisis." In times of crisis, people want to believe that the guy in charge has things under control.
Old 03-27-2020, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
It's only going to be short-lived. People rally around a president if he shows any semblance of leadership in a crisis, even if only half-baked leadership. By summer, as the death spiral mounts and the U.S. exceeds all other nations by hundreds of thousands of cases, his approval will nosedive sharply.
I really want to believe this but we're already seeing the groundwork being laid for his excuse, "This is all Obama's fault for mismanaging the country for 8 years, and the Democrat's fault for blah blah blah." I've lost so much faith in my fellow citizens over the last 3 years that I don't think even people dying in the streets due to piss-poor leadership will result in anyone thinking differently.
Old 03-27-2020, 10:14 AM

He's good at saying things a lot of people want to hear (i.e. wish were true) - that the pandemic isn't that bad, we are over-reacting, that we can go back to normal life soon, that there is an FDA-approved cure now, etc.

Last edited by scr4; 03-27-2020 at 10:15 AM.
Old 03-27-2020, 10:27 AM

40% are gong to approve of Trump no matter what he does. They approve of Trump simply because he's Trump.

The other 20% or so are just easily swayed by the optics and jingoism of the press conferences. There probably is some kind of wishful thinking, too, in that they would like to think this whole thing is going to be done and finished in a few weeks, so they become co-delusional, as scr4 points out above.

It's also possible that, because the majority of people are too lazy to learn how their government actually works, they think Trump is personally responsible for the rescue package which they think is going to make all their finances better.

Last edited by guizot; 03-27-2020 at 10:28 AM.
Old 03-27-2020, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steronz View Post
I really want to believe this but we're already seeing the groundwork being laid for his excuse, "This is all Obama's fault for mismanaging the country for 8 years, and the Democrat's fault for blah blah blah." I've lost so much faith in my fellow citizens over the last 3 years that I don't think even people dying in the streets due to piss-poor leadership will result in anyone thinking differently.
"Things would be a lot worse if anyone else was President. America is lucky to have me." - Trump's winning campaign slogan 2020
Old 03-27-2020, 10:41 AM

Actually his Rally around the Flag popularity bump is a lot smaller than most.

Bush the Elder got a huge boost with the highest approval ratings seen with Desert Storm and his excellent handling of it. (89%)
Reagan got a big boost from being shot by Hinkley and again following the Bombings of Libya.
W. got a large boost following 9/11. (90%)
Even Carter had a boost immediately following the Hostages being taking.

Obama, Clinton and Trump have never seen really high approval polls. None topped 60%.
Old 03-27-2020, 11:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Fun Ball View Post
I just don't get it. This guy is seriously mismanaging this pandemic. A lot of people are going to die because of his lack of action. Yet Five Thirty Eight has his approval rating at all time highs:

Because Dems aren't making the case against him.

This is the Mueller Report all over again. The GOP cried "Exoneration!", the Dems said nothing, so outside of us left-of-center news junkies, the country was divided into people who thought the Mueller report exonerated Trump, and people who figured it was a nothingburger, even if it didn't specifically exonerate him.

So now Trump gets up there every day and says what a great job he's doing, and there's no meaningful rebuttal from the Dems. And the same damn thing is happening all over again. Other than us left-of-center news junkies, the country is divided between people who think Trump's doing a great job, and people who might be skeptical but have no reason to believe otherwise.

As Casey Stengel would have said of these Dems, "Can't anybody here play this game?"
Old 03-27-2020, 11:20 AM

It's because he looks like he's doing something and anyone who isn't predisposed to hate the SOB (I fully admit that I am) wants to give him a chance.

I actually get it. I didn't vote for GWB in 2000 but I wanted to give the guy the benefit of the doubt in handling 9/11 and I was even a lukewarm supporter in getting tough with Saddam Hussein (I stopped a little short of calling for the invasion, though). I was among those who approved of his performance in late 2001 and I felt fairly good about him until late 2002 when the surge started in the Persian Gulf.

Trump leaves no room for me to be that flexible. His presidency is an unmitigated stain on the country and he has sullied the office, 2-century tradition that began with a noble general of the Continental army, permanently. But there are people out there who still want to believe we might have a normal president and a normal executive office, and this is their way of showing the president that he might have one last chance to prove he can magnanimous in a manner that is commensurate with the tradition of Washington, of Adams, of Jefferson, of Lincoln, of Rutherford B Ha-- , er, of Teddy Roosevelt, Franklin Roosevelt, of Eisenhower, Kennedy, and even Obama.

I can't help but think, and I want to believe, that as this contagion inevitably ravages communities across the US, that it will eventually flip on a bright flashing neon sign in their heads that they've been conned. Because if we don't get to that point, we're really, truly doomed. We may already be so.
Old 03-27-2020, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post

This is the Mueller Report all over again. The GOP cried "Exoneration!", the Dems said nothing, so outside of us left-of-center news junkies, the country was divided into people who thought the Mueller report exonerated Trump, and people who figured it was a nothingburger, even if it didn't specifically exonerate him.

So now Trump gets up there every day and says what a great job he's doing, and there's no meaningful rebuttal from the Dems. And the same damn thing is happening all over again. Other than us left-of-center news junkies, the country is divided between people who think Trump's doing a great job, and people who might be skeptical but have no reason to believe otherwise.

As Casey Stengel would have said of these Dems, "Can't anybody here play this game?"
I agree with this 1000%. The Dems didn't bother to do a hard sell on Obamacare and they let themselves be outshouted by the Republicans. Same with Mueller Report, as pointed out.

In my other thread, I asked for suggestions about exactly WHAT the Dems SHOULD BE SHOUTING-- clearly they need to step up and make themselves heard. If indeed, they have anything to say besides "trump bad." They (Biden) must seize the opportunity to take the stage and say who they are and what they are all about. Otherwise why elect them at all?

Last edited by ThelmaLou; 03-27-2020 at 11:24 AM.
Old 03-27-2020, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post

In some ways, the exhaustive onslaught of criticism from day one might in fact be backfiring in this particular case, which is not to say that the criticism hasn't been warranted or that we should have sat on our collective duffs and done nothing. But some people could understandably come to the conclusion that his critics are amplifying the scale of the crisis as a way to bring down his popularity and his presidency. I am hopeful that minds will change once they see truckloads of coffins being taken to cemeteries where they will be buried without mourners.
Old 03-27-2020, 11:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guizot View Post
40% are gong to approve of Trump no matter what he does. They approve of Trump simply because he's Trump.

The other 20% or so are just easily swayed by the optics and jingoism of the press conferences. There probably is some kind of wishful thinking, too, in that they would like to think this whole thing is going to be done and finished in a few weeks, so they become co-delusional, as scr4 points out above.

It's also possible that, because the majority of people are too lazy to learn how their government actually works, they think Trump is personally responsible for the rescue package which they think is going to make all their finances better.
There's also a non-negative number who are in favor of him just to fuck with the system.
Old 03-27-2020, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
... I am hopeful that minds will change once they see truckloads of coffins being taken to cemeteries where they will be buried without mourners.
I wonder if this will get people's attention:

Morgue Space in NYC Expanded With 45 Cooler Trucks
Quote:
New York City has bought 45 refrigerated truck trailers – each capable of holding as many as 44 bodies -- in case city morgues and hospitals become overwhelmed with the number of dead from the coronavirus. With the addition of refrigerated tents, the city will have the capacity to hold as many as 3,600 bodies, a city official said.
Probably not. After all New York City is practically a foreign country, amirite?
Old 03-27-2020, 11:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
There's also a non-negative number who are in favor of him just to fuck with the system.
To be clear: I mean those who are in favor just to skew the results, not the 40% who approve simply because he's Trump. Although I'm sure there's some overlap.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 03-27-2020 at 12:02 PM.
Old 03-27-2020, 12:48 PM
BANNED

Because our society is in SERIOUS decline. That's my belief, and I'm sticking with it.
Old 03-27-2020, 01:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
Far better people than I have been trying to understand it since November 2016.
Yes, but I will continue to puzzle over it until the end of my days.
Old 03-27-2020, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
In some ways, the exhaustive onslaught of criticism from day one might in fact be backfiring in this particular case, which is not to say that the criticism hasn't been warranted or that we should have sat on our collective duffs and done nothing. But some people could understandably come to the conclusion that his critics are amplifying the scale of the crisis as a way to bring down his popularity and his presidency. I am hopeful that minds will change once they see truckloads of coffins being taken to cemeteries where they will be buried without mourners.
To add to this, I think Democrats ramped up the intensity too much in the early stages of Trump's presidency to the point where criticism of his current mismanagement of Covid-19 doesn't register as being much, if any, worse, in the minds of many Americans than what has happened before.

Democrats, and the media, during Trump's first three years, when he made many blunders but the nation still had a roaring economy and things were by and large going pretty well: "Trump is incompetent! Trump is a fascist! Trump is getting people killed!"

Democrats, and the media, at this time now, in March 2020, when millions of Americans may get infected and tens of thousands die, and the economy go into Great Depression II: "Trump is incompetent! Trump is a fascist! Trump is getting people killed!"

It doesn't register with much impact anymore, even if it's fully true.

Last edited by Velocity; 03-27-2020 at 01:18 PM.
Old 03-27-2020, 01:27 PM
Charter Member

Hell, it's peaking at 45.8% in the midst of the biggest "rally around the President" crisis since Pearl f-in Harbor. The question shouldn't be "why is it going up", the question should be "why is it still so low?".

Last edited by JohnT; 03-27-2020 at 01:28 PM.
Old 03-27-2020, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
Hell, it's peaking at 45.8% in the midst of the biggest "rally around the President" crisis since Pearl f-in Harbor. The question shouldn't be "why is it going up", the question should be "why is it still so low?".
We're a tribal nation now; an approval rating of 45% will win Trump the White House again.
Old 03-27-2020, 01:38 PM

Because it depends on how you construe approval.

I can totally see how his approval rating is rising. I can even, honestly say, in fact, that I approve of him more now than I ever have (except one other time: PM me if you want to know). You have to understand that does not mean in any sense that I approve of him, just that I think he is doing less evil than usual-- in fact, right now, I might even say he has risen from "Il Douche" to merely "most incompetent US president ever." But the fact is, that does mean my approval of him has risen. From maybe, 0 to .25, but still, that's a rise.
Old 03-27-2020, 01:52 PM

Quote:

This.

Trump has a "Teflon Don" image that Democrats have a big deficit.

Nothing touches him. He got away with Mueller, impeachment.

Will his response give him trouble? We'll see.
Old 03-27-2020, 06:07 PM

Let us just be honest for a moment... many, perhaps most but certainly not all Trump supporters are genuinely of low IQ.

IMO Trump's base is made up 3 primary groups:

1. The older lifelong republicans that ALWAYS vote republican, are wealthy and mostly white. These people could watch Trump commit murder on live TV and would still back him but because he is on "Team Red".

2. Middle class lifelong republicans who are mostly white and really want/wanted change. Drain the swamp, hillary is crooked (and unlikeable), et al. and Trump seemed like a rebel who would shake up politics. They generally believe that 80% of the news is somehow fake and have bought into Trump's rhetoric and quite frankly his obvious lies and distortions.

3. The un and under educated at or below the poverty line who - for reasons beyond me other than good ole racism - have been brainwashed to think Trump cares for the poor and their well being. I truly believe they are just too stupid to understand otherwise.

It is group three that think Trump is the greatest POTUS ever - even now - and it is both scary, fascinating and embarassing as a citizen of this country.

I absolutely believe that Trump is of average to below average IQ and this group 3 of voters believe they relate to him. Trump is not IQ smart but he may be the best showman, swindler, con man since P.T. Barnum... in that regard, he is actually world class.

I see most democrats believing that this pandemic will sink Trump but I - SADLY - am almost certain he will win re-election.
Old 03-27-2020, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
"Things would be a lot worse if anyone else was President. America is lucky to have me." - Trump's winning campaign slogan 2020

Except that, if things go the way they're looking to go right now, it will be plainly obvious that this isn't true.

Up until now, most of the issues that distinguish Trump supporters from Trump Opponents have been either very abstract, relative to the lives of most people, or have only had an effect on people most of his supporters don't like.

For all the complaints about ICE and putting kids in cages, there is a significant number of people who actually think that was all a good idea. Same with The Wall, The Trade Wars, and Insulting Traditional Allies.

For a lot of the other stuff - The Mueller report, emoluments, corruption, impeachment, all that, that's just abstract. Sure, you had an opinion about it, but at the end of the day, whether he was guilty or not had very little impact on your life. You could believe whatever you wanted to, because your belief made no difference in your life, or the world around you.

But this is different. If the numbers of infected keep going up the way they are, there are going to be a lot of deaths. And that can't be covered up, waved away, played down, or any of his usual responses to bad news. And these deaths will hit everyone - Red or Blue, Black or White, Gay or Straight, no matter. In fact, if his supporters actually follow his advice and do things like pack the churches on Easter, it will hit them even harder than it hits his opponents. It will have direct, negative impacts on almost every one, and people will see that.

And they'll also be able to see what happens in other countries, like Canada right next door. Compare the current numbers in the two countries:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/
https://www.worldometers.info/corona...ountry/canada/

We can already see significant differences in the trends, and that will only get worse in the next few weeks. If Trump really does push ahead with re-opening the country too early, that's going to show. The comparison will be stark, and undeniable, and his usual gaslighting won't work, because every American will know someone who died because of his stupidity.

This crisis will doom him, because not only will his usual routine not work, it will actively make things worse. Just look at the news, he's getting even pettier by the day. This is not a man who will look at himself in the mirror and have a come-to-Jesus moment. He'll keep playing the same games until someone stops him.
Old 03-27-2020, 11:20 PM

Dead cat bounce?
Old 03-28-2020, 09:15 AM

If it makes anyone feel better, the latest Fox News Poll shows Biden 49% and Trump 40%. Yes, Fox News Poll.
Old 03-28-2020, 09:33 AM
Charter Member

Of course he's managing the pandemic well! If he weren't, why would everyone around him robotically recite the same encomium praising his decisive actions and strong leadership?
Old 03-28-2020, 09:43 AM

Trump seems to be losing significant support with his "Open the economy" schtick:
Quote:
A Navigator tracking poll finds President Trump is now under water on his handling of the coronavirus outbreak — this week, Trump saw a 13-point swing in his net approval on his handling of the pandemic, from 52% to 42% (+10) to 47% to 50% (-3).

Key finding: “Trump is wildly out of step with Americans with his new push to relax social distancing. Only 5% say we should roll back precautions, even at the expense of economic losses, while 74% say we should wait however long it takes for public health experts to say it’s safe, including 70% of Republicans.”
Old 03-28-2020, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit? View Post
If it makes anyone feel better, the latest Fox News Poll shows Biden 49% and Trump 40%. Yes, Fox News Poll.
I could be wrong, but I don't think Fox News's polling is particularly biased.
Old 03-28-2020, 09:57 AM

"Except that, if things go the way they're looking to go right now, it will be plainly obvious that this isn't true."

It is plainly obvious right now and since before he was elected that Trump is a liar, a buffoon and unfit for office. Yet, here we are.

"...and his usual gaslighting won't work, because every American will know someone who died because of his stupidity."

You have much greater faith in your fellow voters than is warranted, IMHO. Gaslighting someone who wants to believe or already believes isn't really gaslighting. His base could have their entire families die and they'll blame the Dems, not Cheeto.
Old 03-28-2020, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8cashhomie View Post
I could be wrong, but I don't think Fox News's polling is particularly biased.
But no one would accuse them of leaning left and somehow jiggering the poll.
Old 03-28-2020, 10:09 AM

Quote:
But no one would accuse them of leaning left and somehow jiggering the poll.
Oh no doubt, but looking at a fox news poll and assuming the truth is actually more pro-Democrat than that is incorrect also.
Old 03-28-2020, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8cashhomie View Post
Oh no doubt, but looking at a fox news poll and assuming the truth is actually more pro-Democrat than that is incorrect also.
Did anyone? I think you're over-reading this.
Old 03-28-2020, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
"Except that, if things go the way they're looking to go right now, it will be plainly obvious that this isn't true."

It is plainly obvious right now and since before he was elected that Trump is a liar, a buffoon and unfit for office. Yet, here we are.

Well, that's my point. It's plainly obvious to you and me, but it's clearly not plainly obvious to a lot of people, because he's mostly been lying about things that are, in their essence, abstract concepts to most people. What percentage of the US population had any direct knowledge of what was really going on in Ukraine? What percentage were directly affected by it? Virtually zero. When you have no independent knowledge, and it has no effect on your life, it's easy to just believe whatever BS you want to believe.

But this is different. Every american is already being directly affected by this, and that's only going to get worse. And it's impossible to fool yourself about losing your job and your grandparents as a result of this pandemic. Sure, some fanatics will still find an excuse to blame anyone but Trump, but a lot of people will see the truth.

And it doesn't take very many of the latter to flip the next election. Always remember that: Trump got in on a very small margin. That's all he needs to lose, to lose it all.

Quote:
"...and his usual gaslighting won't work, because every American will know someone who died because of his stupidity."

You have much greater faith in your fellow voters than is warranted, IMHO. Gaslighting someone who wants to believe or already believes isn't really gaslighting. His base could have their entire families die and they'll blame the Dems, not Cheeto.

And you are far too cynical.
Old 03-28-2020, 02:13 PM

Quote:
It actually doesn't make me feel better because if you look at STATE poll results on 538, the ones added yesterday have Trump leading Biden in Wisconsin and Pennsylvania. That is definitely not good news. We need to stop thinking national polls mean much about who will win the EC.

Last edited by Kolak of Twilo; 03-28-2020 at 02:14 PM.
Old 03-28-2020, 02:28 PM

Both of those hurt,
I saw Biden ahead in Michigan, so that flips one big state worth 16. A 32 vote swing.
Do they have any polls on Florida (29) yet? That is the biggest one to flip.
Other somewhat likely battleground states include Ohio (18) & Indiana (11).
Old 03-29-2020, 02:12 PM

Here are some facts:

1. Early in his administration Trump disbanded the US pandemic response team.

2. Two years ago, the CDC stopped funding epidemic prevention activities in 39 countries, including China. This happened because the Trump administration refused to allocate money to a program that started during the 2014 Ebola outbreak. Former CDC director Dr. Tom Frieden warned that move “would significantly increase the chance an epidemic will spread without our knowledge and endanger lives in our country and around the world.” Cite.

3. The availability and distribution of COVID-19 test kits has been grossly mismanaged, including refusal to use the WHO testing that was available in the early stages of the pandemic.

4. Trump initially claimed that everything was under control and the disease would be gone in a few days.

5. Trump falsely claimed that chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine were miracle cures for COVID-19, and that the FDA had approved them for that purpose (it has not). As a direct result of this bluster, several people, in the US and abroad, have died from chloroquine overdoses.

6. Every single one of his briefings on the pandemic in the US -- every single one -- is so filled with lies and deceptions that, last I heard, some networks were considering no longer airing them, on the basis that they were a public disservice. The only thing that makes them useful is that Dr. Fauci is occasionally allowed to speak.

Yet around half of Americans believe he's doing a terrific job.

I can only conclude that (a) far too many people get their news only from Fox News and/or Facebook, and (b) many people are stupid.
Old 03-29-2020, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Fun Ball View Post

All I can tell you is that they failed to include me in their polling.
Old 03-29-2020, 02:21 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I've actually seen comments online whenever a poll shows Drumpf behind that say that you really need to add 10 points for Drumpf and subtract 10 points from {whatever, whomever} for an accurate poll reading. This is the kind of thing that non-MAGAists are up against.
Old 03-29-2020, 02:22 PM

From Nate Silver, in response to polling results showing Biden still far ahead of Trump nationally, at the same time Trump's approval rating has gone up:

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/st...02471081541632

Quote:
Yeah this seems important and suggests that a lot of Trump's approval bounce comes from Dems and indies who are trying to express sympathy at a time of national crisis but have no intention of voting for him.
Old 03-29-2020, 04:26 PM

Trump's approval rating is up most among those who don't vote

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/29/polit...eek/index.html

I also think that there is nothing that can happen now that will cause it to go up any further, and a lot that will cause it to go down.

Last edited by Mike Mabes; 03-29-2020 at 04:27 PM.
Old 03-29-2020, 04:54 PM

What fascinates me the most (as a fivethirtyeight junkie) is that the Rasmussen, which has been an outlier favoring Trump, has actually dropped significantly since the beginning of March and stayed down so far (from around 50% down to 46%). Not to poll-pick too much, but given its prominent pro-Trump bias it's quite interesting.
Old 03-29-2020, 05:26 PM

First, an analogy I got from a psychologist - you're cooking dinner and its a disaster, but the potatoes are quite nice despite everything else. Some people will deal with the problem by falsely inflating the positive of the potatoes to equal a barely edible roast, burnt vegetables and horrific dessert. Eventually it will be remembered in your personal history as 'The night I cooked perfect spuds'. Its a common way of dealing with bad news, and stops you going completely headfirst down the slippery dip of despair.

Trump does enough talking and even though its reactive and seldom clear and coherent or relevant, his tasty little potatoes are sufficient for many people to feel comfort that he is on top of things and is in control. Criticism of Trump's responses is more easily dismissed because the same critics have always complained about everything, and Trump supporters have already tuned their voices out long ago.

There's also an element of hopefulness that Trump will prove his critics wrong. That's helped by the way he frames his opponents and critics as having an agenda that may have fooled others but he's wise to their tricks. So add, 'told ya so' as being something that might still be possible if you stick with your man.

Its an approval rating buoyed by wanting to believe that he has the answers, and grasping at everything that suggests he's making decisions that will eventually pay off. Studies of cognitive dissonance [the classic is when the day the world ends passes] also show that people will frame disappointment by making a long series of excuses before they eventually MAY admit they were being completely fooled.

Don't expect his approval ratings to change a lot just because reality shows him to have failed.
Old 03-29-2020, 05:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banksiaman View Post
Don't expect his approval ratings to change a lot just because reality shows him to have failed.
The first time I looked at this sentence, I parsed "reality shows" wrong, and so expected you to be saying something like:

Don't expect his approval ratings to change a lot just because reality shows are most popular precisely when the people on them are dysfunctional and self-aggrandizing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Trump
Because the 'Ratings' of my News Conferences etc. are so high, 'Bachelor finale, Monday Night Football type numbers' according to the @nytimes, the Lamestream Media is going CRAZY. 'Trump is reaching too many people, we must stop him.' said one lunatic. See you at 5:00 P.M.!
(cite: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...gs/ar-BB11SkOS)
Old 03-29-2020, 07:25 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

That’s enough about Trump’s “tasty little potatoes,” thanks very much.
Old 03-30-2020, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl Turnip View Post
Of course he's managing the pandemic well! If he weren't, why would everyone around him robotically recite the same encomium praising his decisive actions and strong leadership?
There is a German variant of the Bobblehead (German: Wackeldackel) that became very popular here after it featured in a car ad on TV: the Wackel-Elvis!
If some of tanTrump's fiercest supporters think that they can make fun of environmentalist when they claim that their favourite animal is the nodding donkey, we can claim that the Wackeldackel is better and then call them Wackel-Elvis.
When I was younger I could remember anything, whether it had happened or not; but my faculties are decaying now and soon I shall be so I cannot remember any but the things that never happened. It is sad to go to pieces like this but we all have to do it.
Mark Twain